Baptism And The holy Spirit ???

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Eternally Grateful, we think alike, and on the same path. you're correct, in making disciples, also, Matthew 28:18 "And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.

Matthew 28:19 "Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:

NOW here's the key scripture,
Matthew 28:20 "Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen".

what was one of those command to teach? read verse 19 above.

PICJAG.
Amen, Also, Jesus taught them to teach us to do many things, not just one.. Making disciples is certainly one major one. Sadly I feel the church has gotten away from this practice.

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I totally acknowledge your phrasing: "not saying that you're right or wrong, but consider this". I really like it actually.

I've just met a lot of Protestants whom have claimed "God with what God directs, not man", and then turn around and start telling other persons what to do and get VERY upset when that other person doesn't follow their instructions. Frequently using lines like "That's not Biblical" etc.
we should let the bible tell others what to do. And lead by example.

To many want to be in charge, yet miss what it means to serve

Reactions: Jane_Doe22

Seasoned by Grace

Feb 15, 2020
Northwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I wish I had something to add here that could make a difference in some of your lives, but this subject along with many others have been argued and discussed for 2000 years.
God says in Matthew 7:14 that a "FEW" will get it right, but in Matthew 7;!3 that many will get it wrong and be condemned.

It's heartbreaking, and the discussions here almost seems worthless as most are lost and Romans 1:28 and delusional 2nd Thessalonians 2:10-12, with the mind of a reprobate , which is adokimos (Greek) which means rejected, corrupt, depraved, and worthless for rejecting God's truth.

There is a huge, eternal price for rejecting God's truth.

Few will enter the kingdom of heaven - Matthew7:14 and Luke 13:23-24.

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I wish I had something to add here that could make a difference in some of your lives, but this subject along with many others have been argued and discussed for 2000 years.
God says in Matthew 7:14 that a "FEW" will get it right, but in Matthew 7;!3 that many will get it wrong and be condemned.

It's heartbreaking, and the discussions here almost seems worthless as most are lost and Romans 1:28 and delusional 2nd Thessalonians 2:10-12, with the mind of a reprobate , which is adokimos (Greek) which means rejected, corrupt, depraved, and worthless for rejecting God's truth.

There is a huge, eternal price for rejecting God's truth.

Few will enter the kingdom of heaven - Matthew7:14 and Luke 13:23-24.
Hi S.b.G, don't be heartbroken, believe God. he's the only one who can change a person. I use to be the same way, discourage at times, wondering why many are not seeing the truth. because of false teaching that has been accepted over a many of years, people are blind with open eyes. but when God allowed me to see the truth, my mission was to have all see the same thing, but I'm not GOD, I have no power over anyone. what did God say to Elijah, when he thought he was the last and only prophet left?.. (smile), God has in reserve many that we cannot count. so I take hope in planting and or watering because God is in control. and to top it off God can do anything he wants to do. so, why worry, which is a human and good thing to do concering our brothers and sisters. but God has the final decision and he makes no mistakes.

so be of good chere knowing that the battle is not ours but the Lord's.

PICJAG.

Paul Christensen

Mar 2, 2020
Christchurch
www.personal-communication.org.nz
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Jesus said to the apostles just before he ascended into heaven:
“All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, to the close of the age.” (Mt 28:18-20)

Jesus was speaking to the apostles. It does not say that all believers have authority to baptise.
Where does scripture say that every believer has the authority to baptise in Jesus name?
I just told you. Philip was just an ordinary believer and not an apostle.

Reactions: Joseph77

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If i have a friend who is a true brother in Christ, can he baptize me?
Is it ppssible for a Christian to baptize themselves?
When does a believer receive the holy spirit, at the point of accepting Christ as Lord a saviour? Or at baptism?
Yes.
No.
It is by the will of the Father in heaven, NOT by the will of man, NOR by the flesh.... (i.e. it is totally up to God - it is God's Doing)

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
which 300 years later helped spread the Gospel all over the world because the whole world spoke Greek.
Isn't God AMAZING??
oops....

God IS AMAZING beyond all imagination.

God had no trouble speaking all the languages on Pentecost to all the visiting Jews , i.e. in their own language.

Greek? Messed up so much..... with their idolatry, self-willed lives, opposition to God's Way, ....

Seasoned by Grace

Feb 15, 2020
Northwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi S.b.G, don't be heartbroken, believe God. he's the only one who can change a person. I use to be the same way, discourage at times, wondering why many are not seeing the truth. because of false teaching that has been accepted over a many of years, people are blind with open eyes. but when God allowed me to see the truth, my mission was to have all see the same thing, but I'm not GOD, I have no power over anyone. what did God say to Elijah, when he thought he was the last and only prophet left?.. (smile), God has in reserve many that we cannot count. so I take hope in planting and or watering because God is in control. and to top it off God can do anything he wants to do. so, why worry, which is a human and good thing to do concering our brothers and sisters. but God has the final decision and he makes no mistakes.

so be of good chere knowing that the battle is not ours but the Lord's.

PICJAG.

Thank you my brother.
I'm usually the one encouraging everyone else.
I needed your words to lift me up.

The truth is so beautiful, and so complete, and full of life.

I am so thankful God didn't let me miss out on it.

God's truth fills my life with such joy.

God bless you my friend for your special words and reminders.
My name is OLIGOS

Reactions: amadeus

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
go make disciples

so they can go make disciples

baptize them

where does it say you have to be a certain person to baptize? Thats religion. not Christ.

It's all part of the one instruction to the apostles. Jesus gives them a mission and the authority they need to carry out that mission.

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
mark 16 is questionable. would not use it to make a doctrine

1 Peter 3: 21 says that like the water of the flood. the water of baptism in like manner symbolizes that which saves us.. he also re-iterates, it does not remove sin from our flesh.

Mk 16:16 is scripture.

1Pet 3:21 - baptism gives us a good conscience because in baptism we are renewed and our sins forgiven.

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I just told you. Philip was just an ordinary believer and not an apostle.

Philip was a deacon not an ordinary believer (Acts 6:5) and therefore had authority from the apostles to baptise. But as a deacon he did not have authority to lay on hands and call down the Holy Spirit, which is why in Acts 8 Peter and John went to Samaria to lay hands on the disciples Philip had baptised.

Paul Christensen

Mar 2, 2020
Christchurch
www.personal-communication.org.nz
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Philip was a deacon not an ordinary believer (Acts 6:5) and therefore had authority from the apostles to baptise. But as a deacon he did not have authority to lay on hands and call down the Holy Spirit, which is why in Acts 8 Peter and John went to Samaria to lay hands on the disciples Philip had baptised.
Well, you are pretty well convinced of your position on this, so that ends any input from me.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
So obviously you are unconvinced of your position.
I'm not unconvinced of my position and believe any true disciple of Jesus has the authority to baptise.

Last edited:

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm not unconvinced of my position and believe and true disciple of Jesus has the authority to baptise.
Good.
In Australia or somewhere in the south pacific (Indonesia?/ Asia?) last century, (I heard/read) there was such a revival (like in ACTS),

so many people cried out with Godly sorrow and repentance - a few were immersed in the water and then directed to turn and immerse others , and so on- with (as far as known(have not heard the follow up testimonies yet)
new disciples newly immersed turning and immersing others as directed, until all were immersed in Jesus's Name.

Reactions: amadeus and Pearl

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am convinced of my position, but I get a headache when I start banging my head against a brick wall!! :)

Prescription: Take two verses and rest in JESUS !

(as written: God gives His beloved rest/sleep) Shalom in JESUS ! (nothing broken, nothing missing)
Wholesomeness, Peace, Joy, Healing.....

:)

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I'm not unconvinced of my position and believe and true disciple of Jesus has the authority to baptise.

But where is the scriptural or historical support for that position?

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When Moses had a headache, he went up into the mountain and got two tablets.
COOL REMINDER ! YES ! HALLELUYAH!

Remember the directions (prescription? (not related to medical today) )
He Brought Down, written by God the Creator,

WORKS , WORKED, and did not change !

(who knows His directions and does them ? )

They are spared from a multitude of pains and sorrows, sicknesses and illnesses (although also suffer much grief and persecution, as Jesus confirms).