Baptists!

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
LOL, the Scripture says that God called a peculiar people, now you know it's the fundamentalists!

I was the same way, and maybe still have some of it, but that's the way it is with them/us.

Women can wear no pants, the deacons can have no facial hair, I know, most will say this is overboard, and I agree to a point.

It's fundamentalism, total separation from the ways of the world. But I understand if you can't go that far.

We have always been the talk of the town and used to it.

I have to say that I'm not that strict with my kids, I let them wear shorts but conservatively.

But your post is as usual, hear it all the time, LOL!

@Charlie24 My mom was from the Baptist church in our little town and I definitely started out there. Those folks sure know how to place a solid foundation under the feet of new believers. I moved later on to a Pentecostal church and grew in leaps and bounds in my understanding of the word of God and gifts of the Holy Spirit combined with practical experiences.

Reactions: Charlie24

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I use this avatar on other forums but the IFB did not like it much....

400930517-246762_202813633093016_100000931420616_519042_2191793_n.jpg
@Angelina Great text and it is indeed an effective flaming sword image there that corresponds well with what the text says about the Word of God, there....

(So they even objected to the pants in the picture.... ??)

Charlie24

Feb 24, 2021
Monroe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Charlie24 My mom was from the Baptist church in our little town and I definitely started out there. Those folks sure know how to place a solid foundation under the feet of new believers. I moved later on to a Pentecostal church and grew in leaps and bounds in my understanding of the word of God and gifts of the Holy Spirit combined with practical experiences.

I have lots of Pentecostal friends. Of course they sway this way and that way also, but the ones I know, our overall view on Scripture is identical. the only difference is the baptism of the Holy Spirit. This particular church still holds to it.

Last edited:

shortangel

Aug 23, 2020
Oregon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
i was just on my way to view it :) i've been to a couple of Baptist churches, i've been to a Conservative Baptist church & a American Baptist church

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
I have lots of Pentecostal friends. Of course the they sway this way and that way also, but the ones I know, our overall view on Scripture is identical. the only difference is the baptism of the Holy Spirit. This particular church still holds to it.
Nice! I have lots of Baptist friends. Mostly Baptist actually. I remember borrowing a couple of baptism growns from their church for a entertainment night at our church and the Minister happened to see me coming out with his gowns [Their admins usually deal with these sort of things] and asked why I was taking them and I said "The Lord has need of them" Lol! He wouldn't have been too impressed if he knew I used them in a skit when a group of us mimed to the song called "Respect" by Aretha Franklin. Wearing dark sunglasses.
cool0010.gif

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I think also there was the issue that traditionally baptists - following Scripture - have not delegated decisions to a central, controlling committee or standing conference, but rather it has been the local church - exercised in the Scriptures (however imperfectly at times) - that has been regarded as the responsible level for decision making.
Yes. Baptist were always supposed to be Biblicists and Fundamentalists, and separated from the world. And they did believe in the autonomy of the local church (meaning no denominational hierarchy). But then the decline began, and too many things began to change.

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I use to attend a baptist church, we were open to the gifts of the spirit. However a close friend of mine was brought up in a strict baptist church and they had so many rules and regulations. She visited family in America and didn’t take any trousers to wear ( she use to wear them all the time here in the U.K. if she wasn’t seeing family ) she made sure she didn’t wear any makeup , lipstick or nail varnish. Ironically her uncles deemed it okay to sexually abuse her and one of them was a lay preacher in the strict baptist church !

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
I use to attend a baptist church, we were open to the gifts of the spirit. However a close friend of mine was brought up in a strict baptist church and they had so many rules and regulations. She visited family in America and didn’t take any trousers to wear ( she use to wear them all the time here in the U.K. if she wasn’t seeing family ) she made sure she didn’t wear any makeup , lipstick or nail varnish. Ironically her uncles deemed it okay to sexually abuse her and one of them was a lay preacher in the strict baptist church !
That seriously sux :( Not all Baptist are like that.

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
That seriously sux :( Not all Baptist are like that.
No I know, as I said I was part of a baptist church. For some reason it’s seemed to be the baptist churches that developed years and years ago that were strict. Part of the ‘ Hell and Brimstone ‘ preaching that use to be over here , and proberbly in other countries as well…….it would not have been unusually to be called out and condemned to hell if a women had lipstick on in church.

Reactions: Angelina