BE ANGRY and do not sin

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Is being angry a sin? Generally, no, but more often than not, yes. Most of the verses about anger (by different Greek words) have to do with sin.

Jesus said in Matthew 5:

22 I say to you that everyone who is angry [G3710] with his brother will be liable to judgment; whoever insults his brother will be liable to the council; and whoever says, ‘You fool!’ will be liable to the hell of fire.
Paul in Galatians 5:

19Now the works of the flesh are evident: sexual immorality, impurity, sensuality, 20idolatry, sorcery, enmity, strife, jealousy, fits of anger [G2372], rivalries, dissensions, divisions, 21envy, drunkenness, orgies, and things like these. I warn you, as I warned you before, that those who do such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.
Colossians 3:

8 But now you must put them all away: anger [G3709], wrath [2372], malice, slander, and obscene talk from your mouth.
James 1:

20 for the anger [G3709] of man does not produce the righteousness of God.
There is an exception when anger is okay, Ephesians 4:

25Therefore, having put away falsehood, let each one of you speak the truth with his neighbor, for we are members one of another. 26 Be angry [G3710] and do not sin; do not let the sun go down on your anger [G3950],
Be angry,
Ὀργίζεσθε (Orgizesthe)
Verb - Present Imperative Middle or Passive - 2nd Person Plural
Strong's 3710: To irritate, provoke, be angry. From orge; to provoke or enrage, i.e. become exasperated.

My paraphrase:

Being irritated/provoked because of your righteous stance, be angry but do not sin.
However you describe the anger, Paul finished the paragraph with:

31 Let all bitterness and wrath [G2372] and anger [G3709] and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. 32 Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you.
Short-term righteous anger is okay. For the longer term, always be kind.

Within the context of a husband-wife relationship, I'd even minimize the instances of short-term righteous anger. Talk things out calmly. No need to resort to any form of anger. It is better to have a peace-filled home at all times.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Is being angry a sin? Generally, no, but more often than not, yes. Most of the verses about anger (by different Greek words) have to do with sin.

Jesus said in Matthew 5:

Paul in Galatians 5:

Colossians 3:

James 1:

There is an exception when anger is okay, Ephesians 4:

Be angry,
Ὀργίζεσθε (Orgizesthe)
Verb - Present Imperative Middle or Passive - 2nd Person Plural
Strong's 3710: To irritate, provoke, be angry. From orge; to provoke or enrage, i.e. become exasperated.

My paraphrase:

However you describe the anger, Paul finished the paragraph with:

Within the context of a husband-wife relationship, I'd even minimize the instances of short-term righteous anger. Talk things out calmly. No need to resort to any form of anger. It is better to have a peace-filled home at all times.
Be angry and sin not?
Makes me think of: 1 John 5:16-18 If any man see his brother sin a sin which is not unto death, he shall ask, and he shall give him life for them that sin not unto death. There is a sin unto death: I do not say that he shall pray for it. [17] All unrighteousness is sin: and there is a sin not unto death. [18] We know that whosoever is born of God sinneth not(whatever that means it sounds like “be angry and sin not”), but he that is begotten of God keepeth himself, and that wicked one toucheth him not.

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
Be angry and sin not?
Makes me think of: 1 John 5:16-18 If any man see his brother sin a sin which is not unto death, he shall ask, and he shall give him life for them that sin not unto death. There is a sin unto death: I do not say that he shall pray for it. [17] All unrighteousness is sin: and there is a sin not unto death. [18] We know that whosoever is born of God sinneth not(whatever that means it sounds like “be angry and sin not”), but he that is begotten of God keepeth himself, and that wicked one toucheth him not.
I do not think this is a command to be angry with righteous anger, but God's admission that he expects we will become angry or irritated, as an inevitable fact of life. We should not respond to that anger by hurling insults, or other projectiles. And we should not remain angry, but get over it, and quickly.

Is more implied about the need for reconciliation? Perhaps here, and in other scriptures. However It is not possible to always live in peace with everyone.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I think we do well to put all anger behind us.

Blessed are the merciful, for they will receive mercy.

Much love!