Be Ye Perfect, Even As Your Father Which Is In Heaven Is Perfect

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

WalterandDebbie

Dec 14, 2009
USA
firstthings1sttab.tripod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Wednesday 8-10-22 4th. Day Of The Weekly Cycle, Av 11 5782 51st. Summer Day

• Matthew Five:48 quotes Jesus Christ as saying, “Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.” Due to many interpretations of perfection, what perfect really means, or what the term implies, some may struggle with the best way to assimilate such counsel or commandment.
Matthew 5:48 Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.

Rest In The LORD

PSALMS 37:37 KJV "Mark the perfect man, and behold the upright: for the end of that man is peace." (kingjamesbibleonline.org)

Love, Walter and Debbie

Last edited:
Reactions: Nancy

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Matthew Five:48 quotes Jesus Christ as saying, “Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.”

it reminds of
Matthew 5:20 For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven.

Did He say the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees? Is that His calling them righteousness? To me it means to exceed a superficial righteousness where Paul spoke of “not having my own righteousness” but “the righteousness which of God through Faith in the Son”. Maybe the point being: did the Pharisees and scribes seek their own righteousness…why did He refer to it as the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees? Why did Christ say if I seek my own glory, then my doctrine is false? But if I seek the Glory of the one who sent Me, then you will know the doctrine whether it is false, or whether it is true? Why did the Pharisees and scribes ask over and over “what doctrine is this that He teaches”? to me that is what be you perfect as your Father in heaven is perfect means…that unless your righteousness exceeds that of the scribes and Pharisees (not having my own righteousness but the righteousness of God through Faith in the Son), you shall not enter the kingdom of heaven? Not to mention when He told them they claim to be Abrahams son yet Abraham rejoiced to see His day. Sounds similar to what Paul was telling them while standing before them telling them one rose from the dead and He lives. Paul asked them is this not what you hoped for? I’m standing hear telling you He lives, but you don’t want to hear it. Why?

Last edited:

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sounds similar to what Paul was telling them while standing before them telling them one rose from the dead and He lives. Paul asked them is this not what you hoped for? I’m standing hear telling you He lives, but you don’t want to hear it. Why?

Acts 26:2-8 I think myself happy, king Agrippa, because I shall answer for myself this day before thee touching all the things whereof I am accused of the Jews: [3] Especially because I know thee to be expert in all customs and questions which are among the Jews: wherefore I beseech thee to hear me patiently. [4] My manner of life from my youth, which was at the first among mine own nation at Jerusalem, know all the Jews; [5] Which knew me from the beginning, if they would testify, that after the most straitest sect of our religion I lived a Pharisee. [6] And now I stand and am judged for the hope of the promise made of God unto our fathers: [7] Unto which promise our twelve tribes, instantly serving God day and night, hope to come. For which hope's sake, king Agrippa, I am accused of the Jews.

Why should it be thought a thing incredible with you, that God should raise the dead?

why accuse the very thing the Jews hope would come …that God should raise the dead?

Reactions: WalterandDebbie

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Acts 26:2-8 I think myself happy, king Agrippa, because I shall answer for myself this day before thee touching all the things whereof I am accused of the Jews: [3] Especially because I know thee to be expert in all customs and questions which are among the Jews: wherefore I beseech thee to hear me patiently. [4] My manner of life from my youth, which was at the first among mine own nation at Jerusalem, know all the Jews; [5] Which knew me from the beginning, if they would testify, that after the most straitest sect of our religion I lived a Pharisee. [6] And now I stand and am judged for the hope of the promise made of God unto our fathers: [7] Unto which promise our twelve tribes, instantly serving God day and night, hope to come. For which hope's sake, king Agrippa, I am accused of the Jews.

Why should it be thought a thing incredible with you, that God should raise the dead?

why accuse the very thing the Jews hope would come …that God should raise the dead?
Hi @VictoryinJesus Even Job in the OT spoke of the resurrection... :)

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
when we look in context of the words. Jesus is talking to pharisees who thought they were righteous by their works..

I did a study of this not to long ago. I see Jesus telling them, if you want to get to heaven by the law. this is what is required. be perfect as your father is in heaven.

thats the requirement

WalterandDebbie

Dec 14, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
it reminds of
Matthew 5:20 For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven.

Did He say the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees? Is that His calling them righteousness? To me it means to exceed a superficial righteousness where Paul spoke of “not having my own righteousness” but “the righteousness which of God through Faith in the Son”. Maybe the point being: did the Pharisees and scribes seek their own righteousness…why did He refer to it as the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees? Why did Christ say if I seek my own glory, then my doctrine is false? But if I seek the Glory of the one who sent Me, then you will know the doctrine whether it is false, or whether it is true? Why did the Pharisees and scribes ask over and over “what doctrine is this that He teaches”? to me that is what be you perfect as your Father in heaven is perfect means…that unless your righteousness exceeds that of the scribes and Pharisees (not having my own righteousness but the righteousness of God through Faith in the Son), you shall not enter the kingdom of heaven? Not to mention when He told them they claim to be Abrahams son yet Abraham rejoiced to see His day. Sounds similar to what Paul was telling them while standing before them telling them one rose from the dead and He lives. Paul asked them is this not what you hoped for? I’m standing hear telling you He lives, but you don’t want to hear it. Why?
Hi VictoryinJesus, Great post,
ISAIAH 64:6 KJV "But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags; and we all do fade..." (kingjamesbibleonline.org)

What does the Bible say about righteousness in Christ?

• We have no ability to achieve righteousness in and of ourselves. But Christians possess the righteousness of Christ, because “God made him who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God” ( 2 Corinthians 5:21 ). This is an amazing truth.
Love, Walter

Last edited:
Reactions: VictoryinJesus

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America

Paul's response was really well though out from Scripture.......... :)

WalkInLight

Jul 30, 2022
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Wednesday 8-10-22 4th. Day Of The Weekly Cycle, Av 11 5782 51st. Summer Day

• Matthew Five:48 quotes Jesus Christ as saying, “Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.” Due to many interpretations of perfection, what perfect really means, or what the term implies, some may struggle with the best way to assimilate such counsel or commandment.
Matthew 5:48 Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.

Rest In The LORD

PSALMS 37:37 KJV "Mark the perfect man, and behold the upright: for the end of that man is peace." (kingjamesbibleonline.org)

Love, Walter and Debbie

Our first reaction is always dismissive. Who are you kidding Jesus? Be perfect like the Father.
So I studied is this absurd? We cannot be like the Father in his knowledge and attributes.
And what is the Father actually like? How often do we study His approaches, His goals and aims?

I raised this in our house group and the response by one, was it was not our place to judge what the
Father is like. But that is just an excuse, rather than the intent is to understand as our example to
follow because He is worthy. The description of the Lord is

The LORD, the LORD, the compassionate and gracious God, slow to anger, abounding in love and faithfulness,
maintaining love to thousands, and forgiving wickedness, rebellion and sin. Yet he does not leave the guilty unpunished; he punishes the children and their children for the sin of the fathers to the third and fourth generation.
Exodus 34:6-7

This is not a prophet speaking, this is the Lord speaking to Moses directly.

Paul says something on this also
Aim for perfection, listen to my appeal, be of one mind, live in peace. And the God of love and peace will be with you.
2 Corinthians 13:11

Be perfect like the Father in loving ones enemies? How do you love someone?
You know who they are the good and bad aspects of their life and see things as a balance of motivations.
This is about seeing past the incident that makes someone ones enemy and seeing oneself in that place.
Then you can reach out and offer support and help.

I knew a man who grew up in a community who hated Catholics where ever they came across them.
It took them 7 years to start to see people as people who took on the Catholic position, and to then
be able to love them despite their position. The problem was in the heart of the hater, not the hated.
And this is the ironic situation, our imperfection is often our emotional assumed feelings adopted as
children, rather than anything with any sense. To sort it out we have to see where we should be and
then work through the blocks to get there. When I say work through, I mean allow ourselves to feel
the feelings and then ask are they valid and real. We will find the answer is no, we just absorbed them
from others.

So when Jesus asks us to be perfect, it is not ludicrous, it is touching on our identity and things we absorb
as we grow that need addressing, and will shift, if we walk with Him through them.

God bless you

Reactions: Wynona

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
when we look in context of the words. Jesus is talking to pharisees who thought they were righteous by their works..

I did a study of this not to long ago. I see Jesus telling them, if you want to get to heaven by the law. this is what is required. be perfect as your father is in heaven.

thats the requirement
Jesus' statement in Matthew 5:20 would come as a shock to the multitude of people who had great admiration of the Pharisees and the teachers of the law, for their knowledge of the law and seeming righteousness in external observance of the law, yet Jesus points out their righteousness was defective.

The apostle Paul makes it clear in Romans 10:3-4, we read - For they (Israel) being ignorant of God's righteousness, and seeking to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted to the righteousness of God. For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to everyone who BELIEVES.

We see in the parable of the Pharisee and the tax collector an example of those who trusted in themselves that they were righteous, yet despised others. (Luke 18:9-14) We also see this today with various modern day Pharisees. The righteousness that exceeds the "righteousness of the scribes and the Pharisees" (self righteousness) is the righteousness which is from God by faith.

Philippians 3:9 - and be found in Him, not having my own righteousness, which is from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ, the righteousness which is from God by faith.

Romans 3:21 - But now the righteousness of God apart from the law is revealed, being witnessed by the Law and the Prophets, 22
even the righteousness of God, through faith in Jesus Christ, to all and on all who believe. For there is no difference.

Romans 4:5 - But to him who does not work but believes on Him who justifies the ungodly, his faith is accounted for righteousness, 6 just as David also describes the blessedness of the man to whom God imputes righteousness apart from works.

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Our first reaction is always dismissive. Who are you kidding Jesus? Be perfect like the Father.
So I studied is this absurd? We cannot be like the Father in his knowledge and attributes.
And what is the Father actually like? How often do we study His approaches, His goals and aims?

I raised this in our house group and the response by one, was it was not our place to judge what the
Father is like. But that is just an excuse, rather than the intent is to understand as our example to

The LORD, the LORD, the compassionate and gracious God, slow to anger, abounding in love and faithfulness,
maintaining love to thousands, and forgiving wickedness, rebellion and sin. Yet he does not leave the guilty unpunished; he punishes the children and their children for the sin of the fathers to the third and fourth generation.

Aim for perfection, listen to my appeal, be of one mind, live in peace. And the God of love and peace will be with you.

You know who they are the good and bad aspects of their life and see things as a balance of motivations.
This is about seeing past the incident that makes someone ones enemy and seeing oneself in that place.

I knew a man who grew up in a community who hated Catholics where ever they came across them.
It took them 7 years to start to see people as people who took on the Catholic position, and to then
be able to love them despite their position. The problem was in the heart of the hater, not the hated.
And this is the ironic situation, our imperfection is often our emotional assumed feelings adopted as
children, rather than anything with any sense. To sort it out we have to see where we should be and
then work through the blocks to get there. When I say work through, I mean allow ourselves to feel
the feelings and then ask are they valid and real. We will find the answer is no, we just absorbed them
from others.

So when Jesus asks us to be perfect, it is not ludicrous, it is touching on our identity and things we absorb
as we grow that need addressing, and will shift, if we walk with Him through them.

God bless you
Jesus did not ask us to be perfect. He would not ask us to do something we are unable to do.

He told the religious pharisee, if you want to get to God by your own righteousness, This is the standard..

WalkInLight

Jul 30, 2022
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Jesus did not ask us to be perfect. He would not ask us to do something we are unable to do.

He told the religious pharisee, if you want to get to God by your own righteousness, This is the standard..

Are you Jesus? Where you there when He spoke?

As a simple reader of what Matthew wrote of what Jesus said, He said

But I tell you: Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you,
that you may be sons of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous.
If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that?
And if you greet only your brothers, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that?
Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.
Matt 5:44-48

The argument that Jesus is making is our attitude towards our persecutors.
Love is a powerful thing, and He is calling us to love our enemies, which He is saying is possible.
Now I can testify I know many believers who have achieved this, going from hate to love towards
their enemies. So it is not impossible but possible.

Blessed are the merciful, for they will be shown mercy.
Matt 5:7

Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse.
Rom 12:14

When we are cursed, we bless; when we are persecuted, we endure it;
1 Cor 4:12

Our hearts are very defended against those who have hurt us, especially deeply.
To suggest we should be nice to them is the opposite of our emotional response.

Until we take a step in Jesus, and realise that is just our defence against changing and justifying how
we feel. It is impossible to get outside this prison of hate and rejection unless we hear the call of
love and forgiveness. The parable of the merciful King and the unmerciful servant is the warning.
As we are forgiven so should we forgive others. Once you begin to pull back on how superficial we
often live and deal with others, you begin to see what lostness actually is and how Jesus calls us to
become light in a dark place.

God bless you

WalkInLight

Jul 30, 2022
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Who am I?

I am a man who believes in Jesus.
But I have a whole load of history, of opinions, of actions, of work, of family. As I grow and shift, at which point
am I this individual or that?

When we stand before Jesus, which person of who we are, will be standing there?
If we get dementia or lose some faculty is it the prior individual or at some other point?

These are difficult points, but Jesus is calling us to be like Him. For this to be true, it must be possible.
The whole incarnation was to underline, yes, perfection ie being like Jesus, is possible. This is our hope.
If one has a heart filled with Christ, Jesus will declare, welcome good and faithful servant.

Paul said the aim of his ministry was this

We proclaim him, admonishing and teaching everyone with all wisdom, so that we may present everyone perfect in Christ.
Colossians 1:28

What was Pauls example,

Do not cause anyone to stumble, whether Jews, Greeks or the church of God--
even as I try to please everybody in every way. For I am not seeking my own good but the good of many, so that they may be saved.
1 cor 10:31-32
Follow my example, as I follow the example of Christ.
1 cor 11:1

Paul created long lists of good behaviours and approach and bad behaviours to avoid.
To suggest Paul was not into changing behaviour from the worlds way into Christs way is absurd.

And the reason Paul gives is it leads to eternal life. I would say in english it is the way of heaven here on earth.

There are groups who preach it is self righteousness to walk in the way of heaven.
But this only makes sense in their worldly existence without Christ living within their hearts.

If one condemns doing good and loving people in Christ, that person has become an enemy of Jesus himself.

God bless you

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Are you Jesus? Where you there when He spoke?
No, but I can read in context everything he said. As well as the rest of scripture. and have a determined understanding of what he said.

or I can take his words out of context and make him say somethig he did not realy say.

As a simple reader of what Matthew wrote of what Jesus said, He said

But I tell you: Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you,
that you may be sons of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous.
If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that?
And if you greet only your brothers, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that?
Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.
Matt 5:44-48

The argument that Jesus is making is our attitude towards our persecutors.
Love is a powerful thing, and He is calling us to love our enemies, which He is saying is possible.
Now I can testify I know many believers who have achieved this, going from hate to love towards
their enemies. So it is not impossible but possible.

Blessed are the merciful, for they will be shown mercy.
Matt 5:7

Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse.
Rom 12:14

When we are cursed, we bless; when we are persecuted, we endure it;
1 Cor 4:12

Our hearts are very defended against those who have hurt us, especially deeply.
To suggest we should be nice to them is the opposite of our emotional response.

Until we take a step in Jesus, and realise that is just our defence against changing and justifying how
we feel. It is impossible to get outside this prison of hate and rejection unless we hear the call of
love and forgiveness. The parable of the merciful King and the unmerciful servant is the warning.
As we are forgiven so should we forgive others. Once you begin to pull back on how superficial we
often live and deal with others, you begin to see what lostness actually is and how Jesus calls us to
become light in a dark place.

God bless you
You can't love perfectly. You will not be able to love perfectly UNTIL you receive your redeemed body. Because of this, You will never be perfect, as your father is perfect.

if you think you can. I do not really know what to say. other than how can you grow in christ when you think you are something you are not?

WalkInLight

Jul 30, 2022
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
No, but I can read in context everything he said. As well as the rest of scripture. and have a determined understanding of what he said.

or I can take his words out of context and make him say somethig he did not realy say.

You can't love perfectly. You will not be able to love perfectly UNTIL you receive your redeemed body. Because of this, You will never be perfect, as your father is perfect.

if you think you can. I do not really know what to say. other than how can you grow in christ when you think you are something you are not?

I am called to love my enemy.
By loving them I am behaving like my Father, and being His child.

"You can't love perfectly" - is this a command or an observation.
I do not know the difference between "perfect love" and "love".

I am commanded to love my enemy.
Seems like you are laying out different levels of love.

Jesus addressed loving your neighbour with the parable of the good Samaritan.
The Lord loved David and Samson as examples of how to love people.

For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith excellence, to excellence, knowledge;
to knowledge, self-control; to self-control, perseverance; to perseverance, godliness;
to godliness, brotherly affection; to brotherly affection, unselfish love.
2 Peter 1:5-7

Peter encourages us to love as part of our walk.
So this is what I listen to.

Who invents evil out of good behaviour? Who persecutes people for doing righteous deeds?
Paul said this about those who preached to do him harm

The former preach Christ out of selfish ambition, not sincerely, supposing that they can stir up
trouble for me while I am in chains.
But what does it matter? The important thing is that in every way, whether from false motives
or true, Christ is preached. And because of this I rejoice.
Phil 1:17-18

So my friend, are you encouraging me to love my enemy, or to give up and fail and continue to hate them?
It is true there is always room for more expression of love and giving, but that should encourage us to do more
rather than feel a failure, and realise in our good deeds we are shinning a light to the world of who Christ is.

God bless you

WalkInLight

Jul 30, 2022
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

"You will never be perfect" - I wonder at the intent of such a phrase. It is normally spoken as a put down of
someone trying to show someone is going beyond what they should be doing.

Paul deals with this problem two ways

"Aim for perfection"
2 Cor 13:11

Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already been made perfect, but I press on to take
hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me.
Phil 3:12

Jesus is other, very different in subtle ways from us, but always encouraging and always challenging.
So my problem with "you will never be perfect" is it is a prophetic statement about the future of which I have
no insight, as I am not God and have not been there.

If to be perfect was to live for one more second, then I am perfect. And there is the problem. Perfect is in
the eye of the beholder, and even worse is down to what they can perceive. So a perfect meal will be poison
to someone else if they have allergies.

So it is up to the Lord to declare what I am and what I will be.
Paul had this ambition

"present everyone perfect in Christ"
Col 1:28

"And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity."
Col 3:14

So it strikes me God calls us forward to a new future with Him, and in this new future only He sets the limits.

God bless you

WalterandDebbie

Dec 14, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"You will never be perfect" - I wonder at the intent of such a phrase. It is normally spoken as a put down of
someone trying to show someone is going beyond what they should be doing.

Paul deals with this problem two ways

"Aim for perfection"
2 Cor 13:11

Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already been made perfect, but I press on to take
hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me.
Phil 3:12

Jesus is other, very different in subtle ways from us, but always encouraging and always challenging.
So my problem with "you will never be perfect" is it is a prophetic statement about the future of which I have
no insight, as I am not God and have not been there.

If to be perfect was to live for one more second, then I am perfect. And there is the problem. Perfect is in
the eye of the beholder, and even worse is down to what they can perceive. So a perfect meal will be poison
to someone else if they have allergies.

So it is up to the Lord to declare what I am and what I will be.
Paul had this ambition

"present everyone perfect in Christ"
Col 1:28

"And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity."
Col 3:14

So it strikes me God calls us forward to a new future with Him, and in this new future only He sets the limits.

God bless you
Definition of Perfect - Yahoo Search Results

Why would Jesus make the statement Be Ye Perfect?

• In Jesus’ Sermon on the Mount, confronting the people’s self-righteousness, he said, “Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect” (Matthew 5:48). His words are straight–forward. They command us to be perfect – right now.
      beyeperfect.org/did-jesus-say-that-we-must-be-or-become-perfect/
      Be or become perfect? - Be Ye Perfect
  1. People also ask

What does it mean to be perfect according to the Bible?
    • In the first place, the word that is translated “perfect” literally means “be complete.” So often, the New Testament and the Old Testament will describe people as being upright and righteous—not in the sense...
    When Jesus says, "Be ye perfect as your Father in heaven
    www.ligonier.org/learn/qas/when-jesus-says-be-ye-perfect-your-father-heaven-p/
    See all results for this question

What does the Bible say about being perfect as your heavenly Father?
    • One of those passages is Matthew 5.48, ‘Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect’. It is one of those verses that makes any normal person throw up their hands in horror and walk off.
    What does Jesus mean when he says 'Be perfect
    www.biblesociety.org.uk/explore-the-bible/bible-articles/what-does-jesus-mean-when-he-says-be-perfect/

What does God say about imperfection?
    • God does not say one thing and think another; God does not pretend compassion while really not caring at all. God is sincere, whole, and wholehearted and we should be too. That is how we reveal that we are deeply and richly rooted in God’s commands. There is power in imperfection But perfection is not what we are aiming for, far from it in fact.
    www.biblesociety.org.uk/explore-the-bible/bible-articles/what-does-jesus-mean-when-he-says-be-perfect/

Are We called to be perfect Christians?
    • It’s a slightly different image but still as powerful. As Christians we are not called to be perfect.

2. www.ligonier.org › learn › qasWhen Jesus says, "Be ye perfect as your Father in heaven is ...
    In the first place, the word that is translated “perfect” literally means “be complete. There are a couple of things we need to understand about this statement.

3. www.biblesociety.org.uk › explore-the-bible › bibleWhat does Jesus mean when he says 'Be perfect - Bible Society
    Jesus’ calling to us requires our all and more. Jesus wasn't asking for perfection. However (that word you’ve all been waiting for!), I don’t think that what Jesus was asking from us is perfection. He was asking a lot, but not that. It is interesting that all the translations stick with the word ‘perfect’ for Matthew 5.48.

4. www.patheos.com › blogs › tomhobsonBe Ye Perfect? What Does Jesus Mean? | Tom Hobson
    Jun 14, 2018 · In Jesus’ aforementioned command to “Be perfect,” Jesus has just challenged his audience to love their enemies. In both of these examples, Jesus is setting the bar sky-high for those who think they...

5. bibleask.org › what-did-jesus-mean-when-he-said-beWhat did Jesus mean when He said be perfect? - BibleAsk
    Dec 05, 2019 · December 5, 2019 by BibleAsk Team Jesus ended the Sermon on the Mount by the words, “Therefore you shall be perfect, just as your Father in heaven is perfect” (Matthew 5:48).
    Love, Walter

Last edited:

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am called to love my enemy.
By loving them I am behaving like my Father, and being His child.

"You can't love perfectly" - is this a command or an observation.
I do not know the difference between "perfect love" and "love".

I am commanded to love my enemy.
Seems like you are laying out different levels of love.

Jesus addressed loving your neighbour with the parable of the good Samaritan.
The Lord loved David and Samson as examples of how to love people.

For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith excellence, to excellence, knowledge;
to knowledge, self-control; to self-control, perseverance; to perseverance, godliness;
to godliness, brotherly affection; to brotherly affection, unselfish love.
2 Peter 1:5-7

Peter encourages us to love as part of our walk.
So this is what I listen to.

Who invents evil out of good behaviour? Who persecutes people for doing righteous deeds?
Paul said this about those who preached to do him harm

The former preach Christ out of selfish ambition, not sincerely, supposing that they can stir up
trouble for me while I am in chains.
But what does it matter? The important thing is that in every way, whether from false motives
or true, Christ is preached. And because of this I rejoice.
Phil 1:17-18

So my friend, are you encouraging me to love my enemy, or to give up and fail and continue to hate them?
It is true there is always room for more expression of love and giving, but that should encourage us to do more
rather than feel a failure, and realise in our good deeds we are shinning a light to the world of who Christ is.

God bless you
I am encouraging you to interpret a passage of scripture correctly.

We are to seek after the things of the spirit. we are to Love, because God first loved us.. I am not suggesting you should not do it.

I am suggesting you should humble yourself and not think you have finished running the race (Paul admitted at the end of his life he has not yet done this) and now love perfectly (sinless perfection). remember, Anything not done in love is sin.

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

from others.

God bless you

I like this. I think Jesus says a lot of things that we are tempted to dissmiss today.

Reactions: WalkInLight