Be Ye Perfect, Even As Your Father Which Is In Heaven Is Perfect

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Wednesday 8-10-22 4th. Day Of The Weekly Cycle, Av 11 5782 51st. Summer Day

• Matthew Five:48 quotes Jesus Christ as saying, “Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.” Due to many interpretations of perfection, what perfect really means, or what the term implies, some may struggle with the best way to assimilate such counsel or commandment.
Matthew 5:48 Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.

Rest In The LORD

PSALMS 37:37 KJV "Mark the perfect man, and behold the upright: for the end of that man is peace." (kingjamesbibleonline.org)

Love, Walter and Debbie

“Therefore you are to be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect."

There are a few scriptures like this that leave us scratching our heads. And this has been the subject of commentaries and debates. Some will say, we can be perfected....but we cannot be perfect....but all things are possible with the Lord. It is a statement that appeals to those that believe that, if it makes no sense, it is certainly of God.

As it is written there is no explaination for it, in the present tense. But are we to be perfect in heaven? But the scripture does not get into that. It is a speculation.

There are scriptures that address Christian perfection, but not in this context.
What Does the Bible Say About Perfectionism?

And I have an explaination for what and why Christians are perfected....for what it is worth. It comes from prophetic preacher....name Roland Buck....a Holy Ghost preacher.

Yahweh is perfect and intolerant to imperfection and sin....That is why in the Old Testament He separated Himself from mankind in one way or another, it may have been like the Holy of Holies or a vail or distance...."You shall set bounds for the people all around, saying, ‘Beware that you do not go up on the mountain or touch the border of it; whoever touches the mountain shall surely be put to death."....no tolerance in the Old Testament....Old Covenant and it is still true in the New Covenant. The New Covenant did not change Yahweh. 613 Mosaic Laws and if you broke one, you broke them all. Which meant you were out... the best you could hope for was the escape goat ritual, because the blood of goats and sheep could not forgive sins....the best that the blood of animals could do was to fore go the wrath of Yahweh.

So then as Pastor Roland explained....When Christ died on the cross the vail that separated Man from God was torn in two. But still Yahweh was not changed and we were not changed...."If we say that we have no sin, we are deceiving ourselves and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness".... But this does not change our "sin nature" We are not perfect and we are sinners. And on Judgment Day....we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ; that every one may receive the things done in his body, according to that he hath done, whether it be good or bad...

But as far as our relationship with Yahweh, we are made perfect by the Grace of Yeshua, not inwardly, but outwardly. Pastor Roland explains it is like a white cloak of perfection and all that Yahweh sees is this perfection bestowed upon us by the ultimate and perfect sacrifice of Christ. In this way we are no longer separated from Yahweh and can have a relationship with Him. As the Apostle Paul said, In the New Covenant we are adopted into the family of God. "To redeem those who were under the law, so that we might receive adoption as sons. And because you are sons, God has sent the Spirit of his Son into our hearts, crying, “Abba! Father!” So you are no longer a slave, but a son, and if a son, then an heir through God."....there are several scriptures on this....
What Does the Bible Say About Adoption?

So Yahweh does not see our sins or our sin nature. In the New Covenant our sins are between us and Christ and He has the authority to forgive our sins. Repent and ask Yeshua to forgive us.

Be good and do good....God bless.

Last edited:

WalkInLight

Jul 30, 2022
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I am encouraging you to interpret a passage of scripture correctly.

We are to seek after the things of the spirit. we are to Love, because God first loved us.. I am not suggesting you should not do it.

I am suggesting you should humble yourself and not think you have finished running the race (Paul admitted at the end of his life he has not yet done this) and now love perfectly (sinless perfection). remember, Anything not done in love is sin.

God bless you

Thank you for encouraging me to do good things and to love.
"I am suggesting you should humble yourself and not think you have finished running the race"

I am humble and I am not perfect, and I have not finished running the race.
I cannot "love perfectly" if I do not know what this is by your definition as it is not a biblical.

Interestingly John uses the term perfect love

There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment.
The one who fears is not made perfect in love.
1 John 4:18

John talks about love being in a believer and shows itself or is not love of God.
I could read from this Gods love is in the heart of every believer, so its not something one has
to work on, rather how it is expressed.

We know that we live in him and he in us, because he has given us of his Spirit.
1 John 4:13

Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God.
1 John 4:7

John uses very inclusive language, I believe to distinguish from unloving believers who claim
to also know God. He is simply saying to not know love is to not know God.

This makes sense because not all people who love know Jesus or believe in Him, so the idea
that everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God does not work.

If one took this literally all humanists who love and do good works for people know God.
This is why context is an important tool of understanding the writer and over-riding assumptions
which they assume the reader is taking into account.

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God bless you

Thank you for encouraging me to do good things and to love.
"I am suggesting you should humble yourself and not think you have finished running the race"

I am humble and I am not perfect, and I have not finished running the race.
I cannot "love perfectly" if I do not know what this is by your definition as it is not a biblical.

Interestingly John uses the term perfect love

There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment.
The one who fears is not made perfect in love.
1 John 4:18

John talks about love being in a believer and shows itself or is not love of God.
I could read from this Gods love is in the heart of every believer, so its not something one has
to work on, rather how it is expressed.

We know that we live in him and he in us, because he has given us of his Spirit.
1 John 4:13

Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God.
1 John 4:7

John uses very inclusive language, I believe to distinguish from unloving believers who claim
to also know God. He is simply saying to not know love is to not know God.

This makes sense because not all people who love know Jesus or believe in Him, so the idea
that everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God does not work.

If one took this literally all humanists who love and do good works for people know God.
This is why context is an important tool of understanding the writer and over-riding assumptions
which they assume the reader is taking into account.
so you are going to sit there and tell me you are perfect and have no sin?

WalterandDebbie

Dec 14, 2009
USA
firstthings1sttab.tripod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
“Therefore you are to be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect."

There are a few scriptures like this that leave us scratching our heads. And this has been the subject of commentaries and debates. Some will say, we can be perfected....but we cannot be perfect....but all things are possible with the Lord. It is a statement that appeals to those that believe that, if it makes no sense, it is certainly of God.

As it is written there is no explaination for it, in the present tense. But are we to be perfect in heaven? But the scripture does not get into that. It is a speculation.

There are scriptures that address Christian perfection, but not in this context.
What Does the Bible Say About Perfectionism?

And I have an explaination for what and why Christians are perfected....for what it is worth. It comes from prophetic preacher....name Roland Buck....a Holy Ghost preacher.

Yahweh is perfect and intolerant to imperfection and sin....That is why in the Old Testament He separated Himself from mankind in one way or the another, it may have been like the Holy of Holies or a vail or distance...."You shall set bounds for the people all around, saying, ‘Beware that you do not go up on the mountain or touch the border of it; whoever touches the mountain shall surely be put to death."....no tolerance in the Old Testament....Old Covenant and it is still true in the New Covenant. The New Covenant did not change Yahweh. 613 Mosaic Laws and if you broke one, you broke them all. Which meant you were out... the best you could hope for was the escape goat ritual, because the blood of goats and sheep could not forgive sins....the best that the blood of animals could do was to fore go the wrath of Yahweh.

So then as Pastor Roland explained....When Christ died on the cross the vail that separated Man from God was torn in two. But still Yahweh was not changed and we were not changed...."If we say that we have no sin, we are deceiving ourselves and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness".... But this does not change our "sin nature" We are not perfect and we are sinners. And on Judgment Day....we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ; that every one may receive the things done in his body, according to that he hath done, whether it be good or bad...

But as far as our relationship with Yahweh, we are made perfect by the Grace of Yeshua, not inwardly, but outwardly. Pastor Roland explains it is like a white cloak of perfection and all that Yahweh sees is this perfection bestowed upon us by the ultimate and perfect sacrifice of Christ. In this way we are no longer separated from Yahweh and can have a relationship with Him. As the Apostle Paul said, In the New Covenant we are adopted into the family of God. "To redeem those who were under the law, so that we might receive adoption as sons. And because you are sons, God has sent the Spirit of his Son into our hearts, crying, “Abba! Father!” So you are no longer a slave, but a son, and if a son, then an heir through God."....there are several scriptures on this....
What Does the Bible Say About Adoption?

So Yahweh does not see our sins or our sin nature. In the New Covenant our sins are between us and Christ and He has the authority to forgive our sins. Repent and ask Yeshua to forgive us.

Be good and do good....God bless.
Hi Grailhunter, Thank you for the encouragement, Our faith walk with Christ is to follow what He left for us to His example: 1 Peter 2:18-25 KJV

Love, Walter

WalkInLight

Jul 30, 2022
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I like this. I think Jesus says a lot of things that we are tempted to dissmiss today.

David was very keen on meditation on concepts of the law, Gods word.
We live in an instant gratification society with sound bites and little real discussion.

Jesus used parables which take time to unpack.
Our emotions speak into how we see the context, the prodigal son and his father, the good Samaritan saving the hurt traveller,
the servant forgiven a great debt, the talents given to the servants. Where are we in these stories, what are the feelings and
troubles they have, their successes and failures.

A classic conflict is hating the family for rejecting Christ, while honouring ones parents for bringing oneself into the world.
How we work the hurts through and apply love and forgiveness does change us, and only in Christ is this really possible.
Jesus brings us real focus and healing, yet to learn missing a dad really hurts, can be hard, but then finding Jesus fills
the void is great joy.

Once we believe we are set, we miss Jesus, because I suspect in Him we will always grow and change for good, which
is the nature of who He is.

God bless you

Reactions: Wynona

WalkInLight

Jul 30, 2022
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
so you are going to sit there and tell me you are perfect and have no sin?

Thank you for knowing I am not perfect and have things still to work on.
I like Paul am aiming at perfection and working on understanding what this means, and still have a way to go.

I appreciate your sense of humour.

God bless you

WalkInLight

Jul 30, 2022
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
"have no sin"

Biblically I think all we can ever say is we are cleansed and purified.

For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and
unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.
But if anyone does not have them, he is nearsighted and blind, and has forgotten that he has been
cleansed from his past sins.
2 Peter 1:8-9

What are we when we have been cleansed from our past sins?
Are we without sin, or have no sin, or purified, without stain or blemish?

The apostles imply we can approach the throne, but it is always as cleansed and in danger of falling again.
Such tentative state is expressed by this

Brothers, if someone is caught in a sin, you who are spiritual should restore him gently.
But watch yourself, or you also may be tempted.
Galatians 6:1

In a real sense this is always a line to walk, a lesson in our freedom and ability to follow.

Reactions: Wynona