Bible alone

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Marc RL Ministry

May 28, 2021
Melbourne
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Not answering my question, how was a evil pope allowed to run the church ?

I dont think there hasn't been a true leader of any church since the disciples left the doctrine of Christ in Hebrew 6 of New Testament but overtime they have got worse and worse stopped becoming about salvation and more about popularity like Moses allowing divorce they wanted people to come and stay for power and wealth $$$$

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus : "...unless someone"--amniotic birth is already assumed--"is born again they cannot see the Kingdom of God."
Nicodemus : "How can one be born when he is old? Can he enter again into his mother's womb and be born again?"
Jesus : “...unless someone is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God. That which has been born of the flesh is flesh, and that which has been born of the Spirit is spirit."

"...born again... born of water and the Spirit" : Since Nicodemus didn't understand what "born again" meant, Jesus repeats Himself and explains what it means--therefore, this has nothing to do with the old birth of flesh but explains the new birth of the Spirit.

Thanks for challenging me to explain my point further.

While we both agree on the general subject, i.e. birth of the spirit, as you say. We don't agree on how Jesus makes his point. What we have here is a conversation between two people, Jesus and Nicodemus; one person understands the concept of being born again, while the other person does not understand it. Nicodemus does not understand the concept of being "born again" or "born from above". He is grappling with the concept attempting to make sense of it, repeating back to Jesus concepts that he DOES understand, such as natural childbirth.

One more thing, Jesus isn't strictly attempting to explain the concept of being born again. His purpose is to explain why Nicodemus was able to recognize the miracles for what they represent. Only those who have been born again can recognize the significance of the miracles Jesus' performed.

Nicodemus understands the significance of the signs.
3:1 Now there was a man of the Pharisees, named Nicodemus, a ruler of the Jews; 2 this man came to Jesus by night and said to Him, “Rabbi, we know that You have come from God as a teacher; for no one can do these signs that You do unless God is with him.”

Jesus explains why Nicodemus understood while others do not understand.
3 Jesus answered and said to him, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born again he cannot see the kingdom of God.”

Nicodemus asks for an explanation of "born again".
4 Nicodemus *said to Him, “How can a man be born when he is old? He cannot enter a second time into his mother’s womb and be born, can he?”

(Note: Here we see a person grappling with a new concept, attempting to make sense of it in terms of ideas with which he is already familiar. Normally, according to nature, human beings exit a mother's womb, grow to maturity, and grow old. The process is never reversed and neither is it repeated. Nicodemus is forming a mental picture of being born and can't understand how someone might repeat the process.)

Natural birth and Spiritual birth
5 Jesus answered, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.

(Note: here the word "and" means "also". Some of us hear Jesus teach that two new things must take place before a person can enter the kingdom of God: 1) born of water and 2) born of spirit. Rather, Jesus is teaching that one additional thing must take place: not only natural birth, but also spiritual birth.)

Born of Water:
6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh,

And born of Spirit:
and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.

(Note: In his statement above, Jesus defines what he means by being born of water. To be "born of water" is to be born of the flesh.)

For this reason, we can rule out the idea that Jesus speaks of baptism. The comparison is between the natural and the supernatural; born of flesh, and born of spirit.

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Dear CadyandZoe,

Indeed! And that Holy Spirit has been guiding us inerrantly for 2000 years!
' for we have the mind of Christ'

And that same Spirit, in every generation calls out our brothers and our sons as judges for us.

And they proclaim, preserve, and pass on that which we have recieved from our fathers and our mothers before us.

The Truth does not change...

You too! Are welcome to come to the wedding Feast of the Lamb of God!

Peace be with you!
Philip. Thank you for your blessing. May the Lord richly bless you also. Amen. The Truth does not change.

Reactions: Philip James

GracePeace

May 4, 2021
Southwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
While we both agree on the general subject, i.e. birth of the spirit, as you say. We don't agree on how Jesus makes his point. What we have here is a conversation between two people, Jesus and Nicodemus; one person understands the concept of being born again, while the other person does not understand it. Nicodemus does not understand the concept of being "born again" or "born from above". He is grappling with the concept attempting to make sense of it, repeating back to Jesus concepts that he DOES understand, such as natural childbirth.

One more thing, Jesus isn't strictly attempting to explain the concept of being born again. His purpose is to explain why Nicodemus was able to recognize the miracles for what they represent. Only those who have been born again can recognize the significance of the miracles Jesus' performed.

Nicodemus understands the significance of the signs.
3:1 Now there was a man of the Pharisees, named Nicodemus, a ruler of the Jews; 2 this man came to Jesus by night and said to Him, “Rabbi, we know that You have come from God as a teacher; for no one can do these signs that You do unless God is with him.”

Jesus explains why Nicodemus understood while others do not understand.
3 Jesus answered and said to him, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born again he cannot see the kingdom of God.”

Nicodemus asks for an explanation of "born again".
4 Nicodemus *said to Him, “How can a man be born when he is old? He cannot enter a second time into his mother’s womb and be born, can he?”

(Note: Here we see a person grappling with a new concept, attempting to make sense of it in terms of ideas with which he is already familiar. Normally, according to nature, human beings exit a mother's womb, grow to maturity, and grow old. The process is never reversed and neither is it repeated. Nicodemus is forming a mental picture of being born and can't understand how someone might repeat the process.)

Natural birth and Spiritual birth
5 Jesus answered, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.

(Note: here the word "and" means "also". Some of us hear Jesus teach that two new things must take place before a person can enter the kingdom of God: 1) born of water and 2) born of spirit. Rather, Jesus is teaching that one additional thing must take place: not only natural birth, but also spiritual birth.)

Born of Water:
6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh,

And born of Spirit:
and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.

(Note: In his statement above, Jesus defines what he means by being born of water. To be "born of water" is to be born of the flesh.)

For this reason, we can rule out the idea that Jesus speaks of baptism. The comparison is between the natural and the supernatural; born of flesh, and born of spirit.
1. It is good we agree it is not about water baptism.
2. I can't say I agree Nicodemus had been born of the Spirit. No one was "born again" until after Jesus was glorified. There were "just" men whose spirits were "perfected" when the New Covenant was finally inaugurated, and Nicodemus was apparently one of these, but they were, ipso facto, imperfect until then (which is one and the same as saying they had not yet enjoyed the privilege of "forever perfected with one sacrifice those who are being sanctified") Hebrews 11:40, Hebrews 12:23. Nicodemus was "just" but not "perfected", was not yet partaking of the New Covenant (the same as all the men of faith, which Hebrews 11 had just finished mentioning before verse 40) "which had been kept a mystery in ages past" Romans 16, "until the faith came we were all kept under the Law" (Nicodemus was kept under Law not partaking of the faith for that was yet hidden) Galatians 3.
Now, to me, respectfully, this desire to qualify Nicodemus as having been "born from above" is an iteration of the well-intentioned, but still, unfortunately, skewed reading of "the carnal man does not accept the things of God because they are folly to him" 1 Corinthians 2:14.
People who misstep and lump everything God says together in one do so because they are accidentally extracting and isolating this one statement and precept out of context : Paul's statement to the Corinthians was that he could not speak with them as spiritual men 1 Corinthians 3:1, sharing spiritual wisdom 1 Corinthians 2:6, but only as to carnal men, sharing only the basics of the Gospel (milk). To reiterate, "carnal men" (his audience) can only understand the basics of the Gospel (milk), which is in a separate class of revelation than spiritual wisdom shared among the mature and spiritual which is folly to carnal men, which precludes him from sharing it with people who are certifiably born again on Corinth, but who are carnal and not spiritual, and so only able to hear the basics of the Gospel 1 Corinthians 2:6 - 1 Corinthians 3:1--basics of the Gospel are intelligible to carnal men, only spiritual wisdom, which is a different class of revelation (meat), is not intelligible to them.
There is, in my view, therefore, no such insinuation here that Nicodemus is being taught "You are born of God--that's the only reason you can even understand/believe"--Paul doesn't teach that (neither does John : "Whoever confesses Jesus is the Christ has been born of God" (para) is one of the many "tests" John is putting forth which claimants--physical or spiritual (physical beings contain spirits)-of godliness are to be subjected to).
3. I stand by my 'Scripture interpreting Scripture' stance previously expressed : "'...rivers of living water shall flow from his belly' (this He spake of the Spirit...)". The water spoken of here either is the Spirit or is closely associated with the Spirit (could be "... water of the Word... " and "born of incorruptible Seed" "the Seed is the Word of God")--one thing it is not referring to, in my view, is amniotic fluid (another thing would be baptismal water--water isn't "pregnant" with anything (that is madness), and, so, doesn't "give birth" to anything (let alone "a new creation")).

Last edited:

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If this is the case and use are all doing the right thing following his disciple's and Paul's teachings beyond Jesus Christ words why has the Holy Spirit not come upon the Church? It is because they did not abide in his teachings after he left and your churches don't abide in Jesus Christ they have gone onto Maturity like the disciples in Hebrews 6 without even receiving the Spirit.

• John 8:31 (KJV)
    Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed;

Hebrew 6:1 1Therefore leaving the principles of the doctrine of Christ, let us go on unto perfection

(THIS IS WHERE THE DESTRUCTION OF THE CHURCH CHRIST BEGAN)

• John 15:7 (KJV)
    If ye abide in me, and my words abide in you, ye shall ask what ye will, and it shall be done unto you.
This is why I receive the Holy Spirit in November 2017, Jesus Christ Holy Spirit come to myself in my bedroom and entered the right side of my head. I am not equal to God but I am a son of the most high and we all can be if we abide in Christ as I did abide in his words and still do.

the question is who has authority from Christ to govern the church

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1. It is good we agree it is not about water baptism.
2. I can't say I agree Nicodemus had been born of the Spirit. No one was "born again" until after Jesus was glorified. There were "just" men whose spirits were "perfected" when the New Covenant was finally inaugurated, and Nicodemus was apparently one of these, but they were, ipso facto, imperfect until then (which is one and the same as saying they had not yet enjoyed the privilege of "forever perfected with one sacrifice those who are being sanctified") Hebrews 11:40, Hebrews 12:23. Nicodemus was "just" but not "perfected", was not yet partaking of the New Covenant (the same as all the men of faith, which Hebrews 11 had just finished mentioning before verse 40) "which had been kept a mystery in ages past" Romans 16, "until the faith came we were all kept under the Law" (Nicodemus was kept under Law not partaking of the faith for that was yet hidden) Galatians 3.
Now, to me, respectfully, this desire to qualify Nicodemus as having been "born from above" is an iteration of the well-intentioned, but still, unfortunately, skewed reading of "the carnal man does not accept the things of God because they are folly to him" 1 Corinthians 2:14.
People who misstep and lump everything God says together in one do so because they are accidentally extracting and isolating this one statement and precept out of context : Paul's statement to the Corinthians was that he could not speak with them as spiritual men 1 Corinthians 3:1, sharing spiritual wisdom 1 Corinthians 2:6, but only as to carnal men, sharing only the basics of the Gospel (milk). To reiterate, "carnal men" (his audience) can only understand the basics of the Gospel (milk), which is in a separate class of revelation than spiritual wisdom shared among the mature and spiritual which is folly to carnal men, which precludes him from sharing it with people who are certifiably born again on Corinth, but who are carnal and not spiritual, and so only able to hear the basics of the Gospel 1 Corinthians 2:6 - 1 Corinthians 3:1--basics of the Gospel are intelligible to carnal men, only spiritual wisdom, which is a different class of revelation (meat), is not intelligible to them.
There is, in my view, therefore, no such insinuation here that Nicodemus is being taught "You are born of God--that's the only reason you can even understand/believe"--Paul doesn't teach that (neither does John : "Whoever confesses Jesus is the Christ has been born of God" (para) is one of the many "tests" John is putting forth which claimants--physical or spiritual (physical beings contain spirits)-of godliness are to be subjected to).
3. I stand by my 'Scripture interpreting Scripture' stance previously expressed : "'...rivers of living water shall flow from his belly' (this He spake of the Spirit...)". The water spoken of here either is the Spirit or is closely associated with the Spirit (could be "... water of the Word... " and "born of incorruptible Seed" "the Seed is the Word of God")--one thing it is not referring to, in my view, is amniotic fluid (another thing would be baptismal water--water isn't "pregnant" with anything (that is madness), and, so, doesn't "give birth" to anything (let alone "a new creation")).
I have never heard and I don't accept the idea that no one was born again until after the glorification of Jesus. After all, Jesus implicates Nicodemus as one who should have known about being born again from the OT scriptures.
Secondly, scripture NEVER interprets scripture.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not answering my question, how was a evil pope allowed to run the church ?

theefaith cannot bring himself to face the truth that your question directs our attention.

It’s not a question of evil, they are men and sinners, not impeccable

Friend, 'not impeccable' is a ways off from being evil. Moses was not impeccable for hitting the stone with his shaft. Saint Peter was not impeccable for denying Christ 3 times. However, these Patriarchs of the 1st order are not in the same league as the RCC Popes we are talking about. Face reality, my friend.

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The answer: Christ has not delegated this authority. No one. No human being on Earthy has authority to govern the church.

really?

Matt 16:18 18:18 28:19
Moral authority:
(Teaching)
Necessity of being taught by Christ:
Two edge sword: defining truth and condemning errors, and Interpreting scripture.

Jurisdictional authority:
(Governing / administering)
Necessity of Peter and the apostles and their successors to govern the holy church.

Spiritual authority:
(Life of Grace)
Sanctifying thru the mass and Sacraments

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
theefaith cannot bring himself to face the truth that your question directs our attention.

Friend, 'not impeccable' is a ways off from being evil. Moses was not impeccable for hitting the stone with his shaft. Saint Peter was not impeccable for denying Christ 3 times. However, these Patriarchs of the 1st order are not in the same league as the RCC Popes we are talking about. Face reality, my friend.

they are men and have fallen human nature
Why aren’t you also asking about those who are cannonized saints?

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Same goes for kings in the political order

they are men with fallen human nature
But some were cannonized saints

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It’s not a democracy

it’s a kingdom dan 2:44 Lk 1:32-33

you don’t get a vote

GracePeace

May 4, 2021
Southwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have never heard and I don't accept the idea that no one was born again until after the glorification of Jesus. After all, Jesus implicates Nicodemus as one who should have known about being born again from the OT scriptures.
1. So, you believe people whose sins had not been removed by the blood of Jesus (New Covenant) and who were not baptized into Christ were sons of God? 1 John says "God gave His Son that we might live through Him"--before His Son was given, no one lived through Him. As it says, again, the men of faith who came prior to the New Covenant were just, but not perfect, and were only perfected with the advent of the New Covenant and by the blood which "perfects once for all those being sanctified".

2. Yes, "the righteousness of God... attested to by the Law and Prophets"--that doesn't mean, of necessity, it had already happened.

When doesn't it? lol Without using Scripture to understand Scripture you have no context.

GracePeace

May 4, 2021
Southwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You didn't address the fact that Nicodemus wasn't being told "You understand only because you're born again" lol and how it isn't what's taught anywhere.

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1. So, you believe people whose sins had not been removed by the blood of Jesus (New Covenant) and who were not baptized into Christ were sons of God? 1 John says "God gave His Son that we might live through Him"--before His Son was given, no one lived through Him. As it says, again, the men of faith who came prior to the New Covenant were just, but not perfect, and were only perfected with the advent of the New Covenant and by the blood which "perfects once for all those being sanctified".

2. Yes, "the righteousness of God... attested to by the Law and Prophets"--that doesn't mean, of necessity, it had already happened.

When doesn't it? lol Without using Scripture to understand Scripture you have no context.
Yes, that is what I believe. You see, Paul helps us to see that salvation was always going to be on the basis of God's grace and always accompanied by faith. And though those living prior to Jesus didn't know how God would accomplish this, they believed in God's promises anyway. The blood of Jesus applies to every believer who ever lived, including those who were born before the cross and those who lived after the cross. What every believer has in common is "the proper inwardness."

Theoretically then, if Abraham were to be travel ahead in time to the first century, and having heard the gospel about Jesus Christ, Abraham would have believed the Gospel and become a Jesus follower. Why? Because Abraham had the right inwardness. He was the kind of person who would have believed the gospel had he heard it. I believe Jesus and the Apostles are telling us that if we were to review the OT stories, we would discover people who had the proper inwardness. These folks were "born of the spirit", or "born from above" or "born again". Paul calls this "the circumcision of the heart", which is something that God does.

As you say, they were perfected with the advent of the New Covenant. But, they were justified BECAUSE they had already been born again.

"Scripture interprets scripture?"
This is a misnomer since, in fact, scripture is written material and can't interpret anything; people interpret scripture. Interpretation is a mental activity performed by skilled and unskilled exegetes alike. The essential question is the proper method.

And yes, the entire Bible informs the broader context. And, most importantly, no passage of scripture will contradict another passage. I'm sure we both agree on that point. That having been said, the slogan "scripture interprets scripture" denotes an unfruitful hermeneutical method whereby unrelated statements from one passages are unnaturally and unnecessarily inserted into another passage, causing a misunderstanding of the passage at hand.

The insertion of water baptism into John 3 is a good example of this mistake. One true idea (water baptism) is superimposed over another true idea (born of the spirit) resulting in a false idea (baptismal regeneration). This result does not commend the practice. Better to understand each passage on its own first, then bring them together if necessary.

What do you think?

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Really. It is so funny that you refer to the Bible while ignoring how Christ is the head of the church verses. Ambiguous verses supersede explicit teaching in your mind.

All scripture is inspired etc.

I would never ignore Christ as the head of the church