BIBLE GOSPELS

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Let me clarify.
The gospel was found in Abraham in Galatians 3:8. The gospel was the nations would be blessed. What was not revealed was the Gentiles would be justified by faith in Christ and the gospel of Paul apart from Israel.

If we don't outright agree, it's close to what I believe. The "mystery," to me, is the fact pagans were intended to be saved apart from human ability. That meant that Israel did not have a free pass to salvation.

Doug

Apr 29, 2018
south
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Timothy observed Pauls' teaching, not Timothy read Paul's epistles.

Timothy received Paul's teaching orally, not just the parts in his letters to various congregations.
And what was Timothy instructed to do?
Was he instructed just to pass on Paul's letters?
No, this is what Paul told Timothy
You then, my son, be strong in the grace that is in Christ Jesus, and what you have heard from me before many witnesses entrust to faithful men who will be able to teach others also (2Tim 2:1-2)
That is how we get Paul's teaching in full - passed on orally not in afew letters.
Paul wrote the commandments of Christ 1 Corinthians 14:37

Doug

Apr 29, 2018
south
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The apostles were to go into the whole world, to the whole of creation (Mk 16:15), to make disciples of all the nations (Mt 28:19). That was the work that Jesus gave His Church, and he promised to be with them.
The apostles have yet to go to the world.....what verse says the church was given this commandment

Doug

Apr 29, 2018
south
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's not what scripture says.
In the previous verse to Rom 10:13 says: "For there is no distinction between Jew and Greek; the same Lord is Lord of all and bestows his riches upon all who call upon him".

Peter was addressing “Men of Judea and all who dwell in Jerusalem". And dwelling in Jerusalem at that time were ¬"Parthians and Medes and Elamites and residents of Mesopotamia, Judea and Cappadocia, Pontus and Asia, Phrygia and Pamphylia, Egypt and the parts of Libya belonging to Cyrene, and visitors from Rome, both Jews and proselytes, Cretans and Arabians"
The Gentiles could become part of the remnant of Israel as well (Not the church today, the body of Christ) See Acts 10:45

Doug

Apr 29, 2018
south
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If we don't outright agree, it's close to what I believe. The "mystery," to me, is the fact pagans were intended to be saved apart from human ability. That meant that Israel did not have a free pass to salvation.
Not all Israel is Israel....it was only the Israel of faith

Doug

Apr 29, 2018
south
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Nonsense.

I note that you don't provide any scriptural support for these assertions you keep making.
see 1 Peter 1:13 as far as their assurance of salvation at his return

Doug

Apr 29, 2018
south
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is not what scripture says.
Eph 3:4-5 "When you read this you can perceive my insight into the mystery of Christ, which was not made known to the sons of men in other generations as it has now been revealed to his holy apostles and prophets by the Spirit"
Where does it say the mystery was not known before Paul?
It doesn't!
It was not made known to previous generations

Eph 3:5 Also says the mystery was made known to Christ's holy apostles and prophets.
In other words it was made known to Peter, James, John etc.

You are trying to push a wedge between Paul and the apostles that Jesus taught for three years.
That's false.
The mystery was revealed to Paul Ephesians 3:3
There is no claim by Peter and the twelve for this revelation.

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not all Israel is Israel....it was only the Israel of faith

Yes, but I say it a little differently, to avoid confusion. Not all Israel is the *promised Israel.* All Jews belong to Israel, just as all citizens of a State are members of that State. However, God didn't just promise that the nation would be full of Jews. More, He promised that Israel would be filled with *Jews of faith.* So yes! :)

Reactions: Doug

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
The apostles have yet to go to the world.....what verse says the church was given this commandment

Of course the apostles went into the world.
Do you think they all sat in Jerusalem, twiddling their thumbs and ignoring Jesus' command?

Try reading the Acts of the apostles.
Try reading the witness of the early fathers of the Church.

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
The Gentiles could become part of the remnant of Israel as well (Not the church today, the body of Christ) See Acts 10:45

The Church is the Body of Christ.

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
The mystery was revealed to Paul Ephesians 3:3
There is no claim by Peter and the twelve for this revelation.
hat is not what scripture says.
Eph 3:4-5 "When you read this you can perceive my insight into the mystery of Christ, which was not made known to the sons of men in other generations as it has now been revealed to his holy apostles and prophets by the Spirit"
It doesn't!

Eph 3:5 Also says the mystery was made known to Christ's holy apostles and prophets.

You are trying to push a wedge between Paul and the apostles that Jesus taught for three years.
That's false.

In 1Cor 15 Paul writes about How Jesus appeared to Cephas and then to the twelve [apostles]. He then goes on to say he is the least of the apostles.. He doesn't distinguish himself as a different kind of apostle to the twelve.
He then goes on to say: "Whether then it was I or they, so we preach and so you believed." In other words they[the twelve apostles] and Paul taught the same.

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I consider that 1 John 2:20 is written to me, yes. Also John 16:13.

If you study the context and to whom those statements were expressed you will find that they were not written to you and do not apply to you.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you study the context and to whom those statements were expressed you will find that they were not written to you and do not apply to you.
What in the context indicates to you that the verse in question cannot be obtained by me as a promise of holy scripture?

I consider that anything written in holy scripture can be obtained as a promise by those who read them (Hebrews 11:33, 2 Peter 1:3-4, 2 Corinthians 1:20, Romans 4:20-22).

Doug

Apr 29, 2018
south
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Of course the apostles went into the world.
Do you think they all sat in Jerusalem, twiddling their thumbs and ignoring Jesus' command?

Try reading the Acts of the apostles.
Try reading the witness of the early fathers of the Church.
What verse says they went into the world....Galatians 2:9 says they gave up going to the Gentiles as commanded.
Once again...What verse says the church was to go into the world in place of the twelve apostles

Doug

Apr 29, 2018
south
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
hat is not what scripture says.
It doesn't!

That's false.

In 1Cor 15 Paul writes about How Jesus appeared to Cephas and then to the twelve [apostles]. He then goes on to say he is the least of the apostles.. He doesn't distinguish himself as a different kind of apostle to the twelve.
He then goes on to say: "Whether then it was I or they, so we preach and so you believed." In other words they[the twelve apostles] and Paul taught the same.
Once again there is no claim that the twelve apostles were given the same revelation as Paul

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
What in the context indicates to you that the verse in question cannot be obtained by me as a promise of holy scripture?

I consider that anything written in holy scripture can be obtained as a promise by those who read them (Hebrews 11:33, 2 Peter 1:3-4, 2 Corinthians 1:20, Romans 4:20-22).
Nothing there says that you can apply anything you read in scripture to yourself. It all depends on the context and who was being addressed..