Biblical sickness in our churches?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
If questions like this were asked in your church and mine, what would be the replies?
  • Name the 10 commandments;
  • Who or what are Sodom and Gomorrah?
  • Name the four Gospels;
  • 'God helps those who help themselves' is a Bible verse.
  • Who was Joan of Arc?
  • The Gospel means that those who do good will get to heaven.
For an example of diagnosis of the biblical illiteracy problems and pointers to solutions, see the article, 'The Scandal of Biblical Illiteracy: It's Our Problem' by Dr Albert Mohler. Part of his assessment is that 'we will not believe more than we know, and we will not live higher than our beliefs'.

Is George Barna's researched findings an indicator of how severe the sickness is in our churches?

Oz

StanJ

Lifelong student of God's Word.
May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
OzSpen said:
If questions like this were asked in your church and mine, what would be the replies?

• Name the 10 commandments;
  • Who or what are Sodom and Gomorrah?
  • Name the four Gospels;
  • 'God helps those who help themselves' is a Bible verse.
  • Who was Joan of Arc?
  • The Gospel means that those who do good will get to heaven.
For an example of diagnosis of the biblical illiteracy problems and pointers to solutions, see the article, 'The Scandal of Biblical Illiteracy: It's Our Problem' by Dr Albert Mohler. Part of his assessment is that 'we will not believe more than we know, and we will not live higher than our beliefs'.

Is George Barna's researched findings an indicator of how severe the sickness is in our churches?

Oz
I am especially surprised at the last one. I recently started attending a PAOC church and asked one of the pastors about where Christians go when we die. He still has not answered me!

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
StanJ said:
I am especially surprised at the last one. I recently started attending a PAOC church and asked one of the pastors about where Christians go when we die. He still has not answered me!
Stan,

So, doesn't he have a clue about Hades, Paradise, or 'in my Father's house are many rooms'? I hope that you won't let that rest until you get an answer. I'm not talking about being a pest in pursuing him, but I find it evasive that a pastor can be not willing to divulge where believers go at death.

OR, doesn't he know? Is his knowledge of the Bible so weak that he can't answer you on the spot?

Are you getting biblical preaching there or is it feel good religion with some hype?

Oz

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
OzSpen said:
Stan,

So, doesn't he have a clue about Hades, Paradise, or 'in my Father's house are many rooms'? I hope that you won't let that rest until you get an answer. I'm not talking about being a pest in pursuing him, but I find it evasive that a pastor can be not willing to divulge where believers go at death.

OR, doesn't he know? Is his knowledge of the Bible so weak that he can't answer you on the spot?

Are you getting biblical preaching there or is it feel good religion with some hype?

Oz
Not knowing him very well, I can't really say, but I did make it a challenge and have already followed up with him. He's just coming off a 3 month hiatus for burn out, so I need to go easy. I just addressed that point as being current for me, but ALL the points you posted are valid issues.

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
StanJ said:
Not knowing him very well, I can't really say, but I did make it a challenge and have already followed up with him. He's just coming off a 3 month hiatus for burn out, so I need to go easy. I just addressed that point as being current for me, but ALL the points you posted are valid issues.
Stan,

That's wise in taking it easy with him if he has had time off because of stress. If you and others are interested, I have 25 articles on life after death (for believers and unbelievers) in my 'Archives on Life After Death' on my homepage, 'Truth Challenge'. You scroll through the articles.

I apologise for the different font sizes in some articles, I have not had enough time to bring them to a standard font size.

Your Aussie mate,
Oz

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
OzSpen said:
Stan,

That's wise in taking it easy with him if he has had time off because of stress. If you and others are interested, I have 25 articles on life after death (for believers and unbelievers) in my 'Archives on Life After Death' on my homepage, 'Truth Challenge'. You scroll through the articles.

I apologise for the different font sizes in some articles, I have not had enough time to bring them to a standard font size.

Your Aussie mate,
Oz
Thanks, I'll check them out.

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
StanJ said:
Thanks, I'll check them out.
Stan,

I've just tried to check the link and my Internet is very slow and wasn't able to connect. You may need to Google "Truth Challenge" and then look down the menu on the right hand side for 'Life after Death'.

The homepage is on my son's server. He's an IT professional, but he and his family are out for the day as it is a public holiday here (Australia Day) and the server may be down. I'm emailing him now to see what why I'm unable to connect. You may have to wait a day to connect to the articles.

Oz

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
OzSpen said:
Stan,

I've just tried to check the link and my Internet is very slow and wasn't able to connect. You may need to Google "Truth Challenge" and then look down the menu on the right hand side for 'Life after Death'.

The homepage is on my son's server. He's an IT professional, but he and his family are out for the day as it is a public holiday here (Australia Day) and the server may be down. I'm emailing him now to see what why I'm unable to connect. You may have to wait a day to connect to the articles.

Oz
Works fine Oz. Where is the server physically located?