Big Baptism Argument!

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

DJT_47

Oct 29, 2022
Michigan/Sterling Heights
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why were male babies circumcised at 8 days of age?

You do not see that someone born (physically) under the Old Covenant received the sign of that covenant (circumcision); likewise, someone born (spiritually) under the New Covenant ("born again," John 3:3) receives the sign of that covenant (baptism).

You cant comprehend ????

Circumcision was the physical sign of the covenant God made with Abraham. Although the initial covenant was made in Gen 15, circumcision wasn’t commanded until Gen 17 – at least 13 years later, after Ishmael was born. At that time, God changed Abram’s name from Abram (“exalted father”) to Abraham (“father of a multitude”), a name that anticipated the fulfillment of God’s promise. The covenant was made with Abraham and later to Isaac and Jacob and to all their descendants.

Baptism is, in some sense, the sign of the New Covenant God makes with His Church. Jesus commanded baptism in the Great Commission: “Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit” )Matt 28:19) . Baptism is the outward sign of an inward change. It represents rebirth in Christ.

There seems to be a basis for sprinkling.

Ezekiel 36:25-27. " I will sprinkle clean water on you, and you will become clean; I will cleanse you from all your uncleanness and from all your disgusting idols. 26 I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit inside you. I will remove the heart of stone from your body and give you a heart of flesh. 27 I will put my spirit inside you, and I will cause you to walk in my regulations, and you will observe and carry out my judicial decisions."

Sprinkling or pouring is a standard Old Testament practice associated with cleansing and anointing. Immersion would have been foreign to the Jews, who were familiar with Old Testament practices.

And while you are explaining why God said this....

Please, someone tell me what this little font was used for?

Archaeologists Discover Ancient Baptismal Font Hidden Inside Jesus' Traditional Birthplace​

News
By Brandon Specktor
published June 28, 2019

CMbY7QnVs2nLLUhrv8mJpS-320-80.jpg

Ziad al-Bandak, head of the Restoration Commission for the Church of the Nativity in Bethlehem, West Bank, reveals an ancient baptismal font discovered inside another, newer font. The newfound font is estimated to date from 501 to 600 A.D. (Image credit: Credit: Wisam Hashlamoun/Anadolu Agency/Getty)

The Church of the Nativity — a World Heritage site believed to house the birthplace of Jesus in the West Bank city of Bethlehem — is apparently so holy that there are baptismal fonts coming out of the baptismal fonts.

Finally... We had a jailer, We had Lydia, We had Stephanus..... who is said their households were baptised...

Do you really believe that none of the 3 had a child in their family? IS IT POSSIBLE they either gave their children away or somehow they were aborted?

And be sure to finish off the reason this is in the bible.........

1 Cor 7:14 For the unbelieving husband is sanctified through his wife, and the unbelieving wife is sanctified through her believing husband; for otherwise your children are unclean, but now they are holy.

Why would this even be needed for when the children grew up, they could be cleaned by their baptisms.
Your response is a joke and doesn't merit a response.

O'Darby

Feb 17, 2024
Arizona
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Once again, we see Bibliolatry rearing its ugly head. Those who have zero understanding of Christian history and tradition and a one-dimensional view of Scripture are the cocksure know-it-alls on every issue. Wikipedia actually has quite a good entry on infant baptism: Infant baptism - Wikipedia. It may surprise some of the Bibliolatrists that the practice is common in major Protestant denominations as well as Orthodoxy and Catholicism and was not even controversial in early Christianty. This is a solid Orthodox discussion of the historical roots of the practice and the evolution of the modern objections we see being voiced by the Bibliolatrists here: http://ww1.antiochian.org/content/infant-baptism-what-church-believes.

If someone WHO ACTUALLY KNOWS WHAT HE'S TALKING ABOUT can intelligently express objections to infant baptism, that's fine. I have no dog in the fight, having been baptized both as an infant and an adult. But this silly know-it-all attitude by Bibliolatrists who know only what they THINK the Bible says becomes exceedingly tiresome.

Rella ~ I am a woman

Jul 27, 2023
SW PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Before I leave this subject for those who wish to continue the debate.......... I have an areas that I want to post.

How many of you are familiar with the Didache? It is safe to say that if you are you cannot be accused of " Bibliolatry" . Ummm , not in the normal sense.

Fore those who are not.... The simplest explanation is from Got Questions...

The word Didache comes from the Greek word related to doctrine, didactic, teaching, etc. The Didache is a controversial instruction book, the date of writing of which has been much debated. Currently, the Didache, a non-canonical book, is believed to have been written between A.D. 70 and A.D. 100. It is claimed to be the work of the twelve Apostles. The Greek “Apostolic Constitutions” has many references to the Didache, with additional Scriptures added. The Didache seems to have been a sort of church manual for primitive Christians, probably in rural areas dependent mostly on itinerant ministers. It was revised over time into varying forms at various places.

Baptism—Sprinkle, Pour, Dunk - EARLY CHURCH HISTORY ( Bolding , size and color changes are mine)

BAPTISM—SPRINKLE, POUR, DUNK​

“But concerning baptism, thus shall ye baptize. Having first recited all these things, baptize in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit in living water. But if thou hast not living water, then baptize in other water; And if thou art not able in cold, then in warm. But if thou hast neither, then pour water on the head thrice in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit. But before the baptism let him that baptizeth and him that is baptized fast, and any other also who are able; And thou shalt order him that is baptized to fast a day or two before.” Didache 7:1-4 (c. 60-100 AD)
The Greek Didache 9:1-5—On the Eucharist/Communion gifts: the cup & the broken bread
Since the very beginning of the faith, Christians have disagreed over doctrines and rituals. To this day those who believe the only Biblical form of baptism is total immersion in water frown upon other forms of baptism.

Baptism by Immersion (Dunking)
Some churches insist on infants being baptized.
Baptism by Sprinkling (Aspersion) Baptism by Pouring (Affusion)
Others are sure baptism should only occur when the initiate is mature enough to accept Jesus as Savior.
Serious intramural wars and the casualties and denominations that accompany such wars have been fought over the correct way to baptize—dunk (immersion), sprinkle (aspersion), pour (affusion). And over the correct age of baptism—infants, 12-year-olds, any age.
It is enlightening to read the Didache subtitled The Teaching Of The Twelve Apostles. In another document the subtitle is The Teaching of the Lord to the Gentiles. The writer is anonymous, but the Teachings reflect a person who was living at a very early period when Jewish influence was still important to the Church. The Didache (pronounced “did-ah-kay” or “did-ah-key”)) is a catechism of early Christian teachings taken from the Old and New Testaments. Perhaps it was meant as a pastoral doctrinal guide to core Christian beliefs.
Philotheus Bryennios (1833-1917)
The Didache was discovered in 1873 in a library in Constantinople by a Greek priest, Father Philotheus Bryennios. The current consensus dates the original manuscript between 60 AD (some 30 years after resurrection of Jesus) and 100 AD. The early dates make the Teachings contemporary with most of the Apostles and, therefore, highly relevant to the practices of Christians under Apostolic influence. Those, for instance, who want to marry themselves as accurately as possible to the beliefs and practices of the infant Church will find the Didache’s teaching on Baptism liberating.

The preferable way is to baptize in “living water.” “Living water” is “running water.” It denotes a river, an ocean, a stream, a spring, a groundwater well or a lake with outlets. Living or running water has the baptismal advantage of being able, metaphorically, to purify and to wash away as it is flowing.
Running (“Living”) Water
If a river, ocean, stream, spring, well or lake is not available, you can be baptized “in other water.” “Other water” could be a pond, a lake without outlets, a swimming pool or any receptacle that has enough water in it to contain the baptizer and the baptized, or “other water” could just mean “water.” The important ingredient here is “water.”
Baptism in a Swimming Pool
“Cold” (running) water is preferred, but if you do not have cold water, then you can baptize in “warm” (standing) water. If cold or warm water is not plentifully available, then “pour water on the head three times in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit.” It can be deduced that any kind of available water will suffice for sprinkling/pouring.

One important injunction in the Didache not followed by the modern church is: “Before the baptism, let him that baptizeth and him that is baptized fast, and any other who are able; And thou shalt order him that is baptized to fast a day or two before.” This dictate has been abandoned, yet “fasting and prayer” together appear 509 times in the Bible. (e.g. Psalm 35:13; Daniel 9:3; Matthew 17:21; Luke 2:37; I Corinthians 7:5)
Mahatma Ghandi (1869-1948) was the leader of the movement for independence of India from Great Britain. He fasted 17 times. His longest fast lasted 21 days.
“While they were worshiping the Lord and fasting, the Holy Spirit said, ‘Set apart for me Barnabas and Saul for the work to which I have called them.’” Acts 13:2
The teaching concerning baptism in the Didache is eminently sensible and should give comfort to all the various sects of Christendom. But those who baptize in “living water” have a slight edge. It is these “slight edges” and often “sharp edges” that have divided Christians from the beginning.—Sandra Sweeny Silver

• Love
Reactions: O'Darby

DJT_47

Oct 29, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Once again, we see Bibliolatry rearing its ugly head. Those who have zero understanding of Christian history and tradition and a one-dimensional view of Scripture are the cocksure know-it-alls on every issue. Wikipedia actually has quite a good entry on infant baptism: Infant baptism - Wikipedia. It may surprise some of the Bibliolatrists that the practice is common in major Protestant denominations as well as Orthodoxy and Catholicism and was not even controversial in early Christianty. This is a solid Orthodox discussion of the historical roots of the practice and the evolution of the modern objections we see being voiced by the Bibliolatrists here: Infant Baptism: What the Church Believes | Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese.

If someone WHO ACTUALLY KNOWS WHAT HE'S TALKING ABOUT can intelligently express objections to infant baptism, that's fine. I have no dog in the fight, having been baptized both as an infant and an adult. But this silly know-it-all attitude by Bibliolatrists who know only what they THINK the Bible says becomes exceedingly tiresome.
All it takes is a clear understanding of scripture to see the fallacy in infant baptism.
1. No record of any infant being baptized in the scriptures
2. Infants can't satisfy the basic, simple requirements and prerequisites of being baptized. Baptism is not the 1st thing done according to records left for us to follow, but rather the last thing done. All records clearly show as well as supported by scripture such as Mark 16:15-16, that belief is required FIRST, which infants can't do. Belief/faith, confession of belief such as the Ethiopian eunuch did in Acts 8 which is consistent with Romans 10:9-10, acknowledgment of sin and repentance thereof as did the Jews on the day of Pentecost in Acts 2:37-38, and LASTLY, baptism for the remission of sins (which infants aren't guilty of nor have committed), also per Acts 2:38.

That's the simplicity of the salvation process which includes baptism LAST. Acts 5:14 says believers were more added to the Lord, both MEN and WOMEN (not infants), which means they were added to the body of Christ, the church, consistent with Acts 2:47.

So, it ain't rocket science or overly complex, just a bit of careful study, an open mind, and understanding.

DJT_47

Oct 29, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Before I leave this subject for those who wish to continue the debate.......... I have an areas that I want to post.

How many of you are familiar with the Didache? It is safe to say that if you are you cannot be accused of " Bibliolatry" . Ummm , not in the normal sense.

Fore those who are not.... The simplest explanation is from Got Questions...

The word Didache comes from the Greek word related to doctrine, didactic, teaching, etc. The Didache is a controversial instruction book, the date of writing of which has been much debated. Currently, the Didache, a non-canonical book, is believed to have been written between A.D. 70 and A.D. 100. It is claimed to be the work of the twelve Apostles. The Greek “Apostolic Constitutions” has many references to the Didache, with additional Scriptures added. The Didache seems to have been a sort of church manual for primitive Christians, probably in rural areas dependent mostly on itinerant ministers. It was revised over time into varying forms at various places.

Baptism—Sprinkle, Pour, Dunk - EARLY CHURCH HISTORY ( Bolding , size and color changes are mine)

BAPTISM—SPRINKLE, POUR, DUNK​

“But concerning baptism, thus shall ye baptize. Having first recited all these things, baptize in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit in living water. But if thou hast not living water, then baptize in other water; And if thou art not able in cold, then in warm. But if thou hast neither, then pour water on the head thrice in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit. But before the baptism let him that baptizeth and him that is baptized fast, and any other also who are able; And thou shalt order him that is baptized to fast a day or two before.” Didache 7:1-4 (c. 60-100 AD)
The Greek Didache 9:1-5—On the Eucharist/Communion gifts: the cup & the broken bread
Since the very beginning of the faith, Christians have disagreed over doctrines and rituals. To this day those who believe the only Biblical form of baptism is total immersion in water frown upon other forms of baptism.

Baptism by Immersion (Dunking)
Some churches insist on infants being baptized.
Baptism by Sprinkling (Aspersion) Baptism by Pouring (Affusion)
Others are sure baptism should only occur when the initiate is mature enough to accept Jesus as Savior.
Serious intramural wars and the casualties and denominations that accompany such wars have been fought over the correct way to baptize—dunk (immersion), sprinkle (aspersion), pour (affusion). And over the correct age of baptism—infants, 12-year-olds, any age.
It is enlightening to read the Didache subtitled The Teaching Of The Twelve Apostles. In another document the subtitle is The Teaching of the Lord to the Gentiles. The writer is anonymous, but the Teachings reflect a person who was living at a very early period when Jewish influence was still important to the Church. The Didache (pronounced “did-ah-kay” or “did-ah-key”)) is a catechism of early Christian teachings taken from the Old and New Testaments. Perhaps it was meant as a pastoral doctrinal guide to core Christian beliefs.
Philotheus Bryennios (1833-1917)
The Didache was discovered in 1873 in a library in Constantinople by a Greek priest, Father Philotheus Bryennios. The current consensus dates the original manuscript between 60 AD (some 30 years after resurrection of Jesus) and 100 AD. The early dates make the Teachings contemporary with most of the Apostles and, therefore, highly relevant to the practices of Christians under Apostolic influence. Those, for instance, who want to marry themselves as accurately as possible to the beliefs and practices of the infant Church will find the Didache’s teaching on Baptism liberating.

The preferable way is to baptize in “living water.” “Living water” is “running water.” It denotes a river, an ocean, a stream, a spring, a groundwater well or a lake with outlets. Living or running water has the baptismal advantage of being able, metaphorically, to purify and to wash away as it is flowing.
Running (“Living”) Water
If a river, ocean, stream, spring, well or lake is not available, you can be baptized “in other water.” “Other water” could be a pond, a lake without outlets, a swimming pool or any receptacle that has enough water in it to contain the baptizer and the baptized, or “other water” could just mean “water.” The important ingredient here is “water.”
Baptism in a Swimming Pool
“Cold” (running) water is preferred, but if you do not have cold water, then you can baptize in “warm” (standing) water. If cold or warm water is not plentifully available, then “pour water on the head three times in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit.” It can be deduced that any kind of available water will suffice for sprinkling/pouring.

One important injunction in the Didache not followed by the modern church is: “Before the baptism, let him that baptizeth and him that is baptized fast, and any other who are able; And thou shalt order him that is baptized to fast a day or two before.” This dictate has been abandoned, yet “fasting and prayer” together appear 509 times in the Bible. (e.g. Psalm 35:13; Daniel 9:3; Matthew 17:21; Luke 2:37; I Corinthians 7:5)
Mahatma Ghandi (1869-1948) was the leader of the movement for independence of India from Great Britain. He fasted 17 times. His longest fast lasted 21 days.
“While they were worshiping the Lord and fasting, the Holy Spirit said, ‘Set apart for me Barnabas and Saul for the work to which I have called them.’” Acts 13:2
The teaching concerning baptism in the Didache is eminently sensible and should give comfort to all the various sects of Christendom. But those who baptize in “living water” have a slight edge. It is these “slight edges” and often “sharp edges” that have divided Christians from the beginning.—Sandra Sweeny Silver

The bible gives clear warning in both the OT and NT about the danger of adding to or taking away from God's Word. Is the 'did ache' a supplement to God's Word? Yes or no! If yes, it violates God's very clear and stern warning against against adding to his word. You decide. Believe whatever garbage you like. Goodbye

Bill Judson

Feb 21, 2024
Tempe AZ
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Here's a couple I don't think they mentioned...

1 Peter 3:20,21
Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.
The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God by the resurrection of Jesus Christ:

Titus 3:5
Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost

Some seem to think getting dunked in water is what actually cleanses us, but 1 Peter 3:20,21 appears to be saying what saves us is the answer of a good conscience toward God

In other words rather than washing our flesh in water saving us, turning away from our sin and agreeing with / walking with the Lord is what actually saves us.

Baptism being a sacrament to help bring this forth as we are dead with him in baptism and raised up with Him in newness of life.

Colossians 2:11-13
In whom also ye are circumcised with the circumcision made without hands, in putting off the body of the sins of the flesh by the circumcision of Christ:
Buried with him in baptism, wherein also ye are risen with him through the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised him from the dead.
And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses

Being raised up from being baptized in water is intended to be a starting point for new believers to being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses

This starting point marks a changed mind, repentance, and a new life in Christ so it's not the act of being dunked in water itself that saved us, it our starting a new life in Christ walking with Him with a clean and clear conscience

Bill Judson

Feb 21, 2024
Tempe AZ
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How many of you are familiar with the Didache?

That's not the inspired Word of God so it's kinda like reading something a modern preacher says in one of his books

It may seem to be somewhat helpful, but it must be judged against the actual Word of God and anything in it that does not agree with God's Word must be discarded if one is to remain true to the Lord.

Rella ~ I am a woman

Jul 27, 2023
SW PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's not the inspired Word of God so it's kinda like reading something a modern preacher says in one of his books

It may seem to be somewhat helpful, but it must be judged against the actual Word of God and anything in it that does not agree with God's Word must be discarded if one is to remain true to the Lord.

Well, Mr Judge... Do it

Something written by the apostles...BEFORE the church got its translations on things .... AD 60 or 670 to AD 100.... I guess what the apostles said we can discount..... (Personally I would love to ignore Paul)

These chapters you can read in full (I could not post due to too many characters) at:

We all will look forward to your critique of why these need to be ignored.

The Didache​

The Lord's Teaching Through the Twelve Apostles to the Nations.

Chapter 1. The Two Ways and the First Commandment.

Chapter 2. The Second Commandment: Grave Sin Forbidden.

Chapter 3. Other Sins Forbidden.

Chapter 4. Various Precepts.

Chapter 5. The Way of Death.

Chapter 6. Against False Teachers, and Food Offered to Idols.

Chapter 7. Concerning Baptism.

Chapter 8. Fasting and Prayer (the Lord's Prayer).
Our Father who art in heaven, hallowed be Thy name. Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done on earth, as it is in heaven. Give us today our daily (needful) bread, and forgive us our debt as we also forgive our debtors. And bring us not into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one (or, evil); for Thine is the power and the glory for ever..
Pray this three times each day.

Chapter 9. The Eucharist.
We thank thee, our Father, for the holy vine of David Thy servant, which You madest known to us through Jesus Thy Servant; to Thee be the glory for ever..
And concerning the broken bread:
We thank Thee, our Father, for the life and knowledge which You madest known to us through Jesus Thy Servant; to Thee be the glory for ever. Even as this broken bread was scattered over the hills, and was gathered together and became one, so let Thy Church be gathered together from the ends of the earth into Thy kingdom; for Thine is the glory and the power through Jesus Christ for ever..

Chapter 10. Prayer after Communion. But after you are filled, give thanks this way:
We thank Thee, holy Father, for Thy holy name which You didst cause to tabernacle in our hearts, and for the knowledge and faith and immortality, which You modest known to us through Jesus Thy Servant; to Thee be the glory for ever. Thou, Master almighty, didst create all things for Thy name's sake; You gavest food and drink to men for enjoyment, that they might give thanks to Thee; but to us You didst freely give spiritual food and drink and life eternal through Thy Servant. Before all things we thank Thee that You are mighty; to Thee be the glory for ever. Remember, Lord, Thy Church, to deliver it from all evil and to make it perfect in Thy love, and gather it from the four winds, sanctified for Thy kingdom which Thou have prepared for it; for Thine is the power and the glory for ever. Let grace come, and let this world pass away. Hosanna to the God (Son) of David! If any one is holy, let him come; if any one is not so, let him repent. Maranatha. Amen.

Chapter 11. Concerning Teachers, Apostles, and Prophets.

Chapter 12. Reception of Christians.

Chapter 13. Support of Prophets.

Chapter 14. Christian Assembly on the Lord's Day.

Chapter 15. Bishops and Deacons; Christian Reproof.

Chapter 16. Watchfulness; the Coming of the Lord.

Last edited:

Phil .

Nov 1, 2022
Midwest.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Of course he doesn't realize he will be judged with the judgement he uses that Jesus tells us of in Matthew 7:2 - unless he repents of this he will be judged very harshly.
It’s just sound.

Judgment occurs only in thought and like all thought, is directly experienced.

Or of course - not.
Alternatively, creating by the mustard seed and the tree of life.

Bill Judson

Feb 21, 2024
Tempe AZ
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, Mr Judge... Do it

Something written by the apostles...BEFORE the church got its translations on things .... AD 60 or 670 to AD 100.... I guess what the apostles said we can discount..... (Personally I would love to ignore Paul)

Do what? The Lord chose to not move anybody to include these writings in His canon... so this is not part of God's inspired Word. So, these writings are just like reading a book a well known preacher in our day has written.

It may have some value to it, but God's Word is still the standard that all other sources of information is judged by.

Anything in these writings that cannot be found in God's canon must be discarded. And I'm sorry to hear you get so offended over this which is not normal for a mature Christian.

Phil .

Nov 1, 2022
Midwest.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
those that don't perfectly agree with him are condemned to hell like he has some say so in that.

he will be judged with the judgement he uses
Do you have some say in that?

listens to the Lord and tries to get reconciliation going between themselves.
Good advice for you?

The Lord does not desire there to be any schism in the Body of Christ spoken of in 1 Corinthians 12:25-27 so at some point someone has to be the gown up in the room and get some reconciliation going. If not, then maybe they means all 3 of these guys are still babies in the faith and will continue to hold as grudge against the other for not seeing things exactly, precisely they way they do.
Perhaps therein is the only reconciliation.

O'Darby

Feb 17, 2024
Arizona
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, Mr Judge... Do it

These chapters you can read in full (I could not post due to too many characters) at:

We all will look forward to your critique of why these need to be ignored.

The Didache​

The Lord's Teaching Through the Twelve Apostles to the Nations.

Chapter 1. The Two Ways and the First Commandment.

Chapter 2. The Second Commandment: Grave Sin Forbidden.

Chapter 3. Other Sins Forbidden.

Chapter 4. Various Precepts.

Chapter 5. The Way of Death.

Chapter 6. Against False Teachers, and Food Offered to Idols.

Chapter 7. Concerning Baptism.

Chapter 8. Fasting and Prayer (the Lord's Prayer).

Pray this three times each day.

Chapter 9. The Eucharist.

And concerning the broken bread:

Chapter 10. Prayer after Communion. But after you are filled, give thanks this way:

Chapter 11. Concerning Teachers, Apostles, and Prophets.

Chapter 12. Reception of Christians.

Chapter 13. Support of Prophets.

Chapter 14. Christian Assembly on the Lord's Day.

Chapter 15. Bishops and Deacons; Christian Reproof.

Chapter 16. Watchfulness; the Coming of the Lord.
Welcome to the world of one-dimensional Bibliolatry, Rella! :) Although you've been here longer than I, so doubtless you've encountered it numerous times before. If the Didache isn't in the Bible, it may as well be a Jehovah's Witness tract.

The Didache, along with tons of early Christian materials, can be read at the indispensible Christian Classics Ethereal Library: Cyril C. Richardson: Early Christian Fathers - Christian Classics Ethereal Library.

All it takes is a clear understanding of scripture to see the fallacy in infant baptism.
Odd that way more than half of Christendom - Orthodox, Catholics and large swaths of Protestantism - lack this "clear" understanding.

Phil .

Nov 1, 2022
Midwest.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Understanding’s such an interesting word. It seems to mean something one has, could gain, have or could lack or lose, or some kind, any kind of experience… even while the very word is : understanding.

Rella ~ I am a woman

Jul 27, 2023
SW PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do what? The Lord chose to not move anybody to include these writings in His canon... so this is not part of God's inspired Word. So, these writings are just like reading a book a well known preacher in our day has written.

It may have some value to it, but God's Word is still the standard that all other sources of information is judged by.

Anything in these writings that cannot be found in God's canon must be discarded. And I'm sorry to hear you get so offended over this which is not normal for a mature Christian.
Funny that not all bibles have the same number books included... why is that?

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I recently became aware of a big argument about baptism among some of the popular youtube preachers that appear to have caused these guys to break fellowship with each side accusing the other of teaching heresy just because the other side does not see things exactly they way they do.
Proverbs 26:17 KJV
He that passeth by, and meddleth with strife belonging not to him, is like one that taketh a dog by the ears.

Much love!

Bill Judson

Feb 21, 2024
Tempe AZ
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you have some say in that?

Jesus said we would be judged with the judgement was judge others with.

If the Didache isn't in the Bible

Where is the "Book of Didache" found in the Bible? It's not! This writing is a summary written by an unknown author that is supposed to summarize what the Lord taught the apostles.

Since we already have this in God's Word, this is nothing more than a little book someone wrote that is not on the level of God's Word.

As an example, it says the person who is baptizing others is required to first fast before baptizing anybody. God's Word does not teach this, therefore that can be and should be thrown out since this is instructions that did not come from the Lord that somebody thought would be a good idea.

Proverbs 26:17 KJV
He that passeth by, and meddleth with strife belonging not to him, is like one that taketh a dog by the ears.

That would be applicable to people having a private beef between themselves.

This is a public discussion about baptism and all Christians are free to comment.

Rella ~ I am a woman

Jul 27, 2023
SW PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Welcome to the world of one-dimensional Bibliolatry, Rella! :) Although you've been here longer than I, so doubtless you've encountered it numerous times before. If the Didache isn't in the Bible, it may as well be a Jehovah's Witness tract.

The Didache, along with tons of early Christian materials, can be read at the indispensible Christian Classics Ethereal Library: Cyril C. Richardson: Early Christian Fathers - Christian Classics Ethereal Library.
Makes me wonder what they are afraid of.

Personally I love the old writings, and the ancient historian viewpoints....

And the comparison of various translations.

There was a thread that got a bit heated here... (Could not find it ).... I am certain it was here... that had the suggestion that just because Jesus said "But I say unto you, I will not drink henceforth of this fruit of the vine, until that day when I drink it new with you in my Father's kingdom." That he never drank wine, wine... (I think they think it was Welch's Grape Juice :Laughingoutloud:)

And the talk go onto there will be no food or drink when we are in heaven..... yada yada....

Man, I wish those stuck in the 66 books would download themselves a copy of the Book of Enoch. It is settled there

Reactions: O'Darby

Rella ~ I am a woman

Jul 27, 2023
SW PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus said we would be judged with the judgement was judge others with.

Where is the "Book of Didache" found in the Bible? It's not! This writing is a summary written by an unknown author that is supposed to summarize what the Lord taught the apostles.

Since we already have this in God's Word, this is nothing more than a little book someone wrote that is not on the level of God's Word.
You mean like Jimmy's translation that has a concept that never made it into another translation because "Easter " was not in that day.

Yeah.... and that was written by some unknown translator also. But got corrected in the NKJV

Looks like those men went by some outside suggestion....

Matthew 28:1, When did the early Christians first celebrate a day commemorating the resurrection of Yeshua?

Although the resurrection of Yeshua the Messiah is a biblical and historical fact, it’s celebration (known as Easter), is neither commanded in the Scriptures, nor was it celebrated by the original disciples of Yeshua. It is purely an invention of the church, and that eventually replaced Passover! Here are the facts:

But if you are a KJV only... there are other questionable things. Be careful.
As an example, it says the person who is baptizing others is required to first fast before baptizing anybody. God's Word does not teach this, therefore that can be and should be thrown out since this is instructions that did not come from the Lord that somebody thought would be a good idea.

You mean the apostles that the Lord talked with daily?

Most likely it did not make it into the 66 book because those inspired writers couldn't manage it.
That would be applicable to people having a private beef between themselves.

This is a public discussion about baptism and all Christians are free to comment.

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

It's accepted to be a summary of the teachings the Lord gave to the
Apostle with no claim or evidence it was actually written by the Apostles. .

It's not part of the inspired Word of the Lord. disagree.gif

It's easy to get deceived when people start accepting extra biblical writings as being God's inspired Word.

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
It's accepted to be a summary of the teachings the Lord gave to the
Apostle with no claim or evidence it was actually written by the Apostles. .

It's not part of the inspired Word of the Lord. View attachment 42385

It's easy to get deceived when people start accepting extra biblical writings as being God's inspired Word.

Yep, and that is how I treat your "inspired words from God" as well, I put it in the wpb for not being "in the inspired Words of the Lord," or even based on the inspired words of God.

Last edited: