Black Hole Eats Earth

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
More strife in Iraq. U.S. financial system in crisis. Rice prices soar.None of these headlines will matter a bit, though, if two men pursuing a lawsuit in a court in Hawaii turn out to be right. They think a giant particle accelerator that will begin smashing protons together outside Geneva this summer might produce a black hole that will spell the end of the Earth - and maybe the universe.Scientists say that is very unlikely - though they have done some checking just to make sure.The world's physicists have spent 14 years and $8 billion building the Large Hadron Collider, in which the colliding protons will recreate energies and conditions last seen a trillionth of a second after the Big Bang. Researchers will sift the debris from these primordial recreations for clues to the nature of mass and new forces and symmetries of nature.But Walter Wagner and Luis Sancho contend that scientists at the European Center for Nuclear Research, or CERN, have played down the chances that the collider could produce, among other horrors, a tiny black hole, which, they say, could eat the Earth. Or it could spit out something called a "strangelet" that would convert our planet to a shrunken dense dead lump of something called "strange matter." Their suit also says CERN has failed to provide an environmental impact statement as required under the U.S. National Environmental Policy Act.http://www.iht.com/articles/2008/03/29/eur...sics.php?page=1

Jon-Marc

Jun 8, 2007
Jacumba, CA
I'm not at all concerned. The One Who holds the future also holds me in His hands. I am safe in the arms of my God. One of my favorite songs is "Sheltered in the Arms of God." I believe it's quite possible that God will use things from space that He has created for the purpose of destroying the earth. He will one day created a new heaven and earth.

tim_from_pa

Jul 11, 2007
I think their fear is groundless. A blackhole in space as we know it is merely a condensed star with an escape velocity faster than the speed of light. Therefore, nothing escapes it, but in effect, it is very massive which is why it can swallow things up.Now, if we had a blackhole on a particulate scale, it may behave the same way, but the mass is not sufficient to do anything. If I may be facetious, even if one could "drop" it into the earth, it would pass effortlessly thru the earth like cosmic rays already do through our bodies. Maybe it would oscillate back and forth poking holes like swiss cheese, (but they'd be too small to see) until friction caused it to come to rest in the middle of the earth.What if it swallowed up little particles near to it and it became a bigger black hole? Not to worry. Again, even if that could happen, due to the low mass, I'm sure the thing would merely grow very slowly like a cancer until the whole earth became that way, until then the universe as we know it would have experienced its end. Me thinks the Second Coming will happen way before then.