Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Is it impossible to return to the Lord if once having lived for Him we fall into some sin? We cannot repent?

I would say that the Bible teaches that with the Lord nothing shall be impossible (Luke 1:37).

Jesus said, Whoever comes to me I will in no wise cast out. (John 6:37)
It means once a person learns all the truths, taste and the Holy Spirit via those around him, including one spouse, sees the realities but then instead of taking God's freely offered salvation, walks away from it all, they have no hope remaining.

They turned her back on everything, including the Holy Spirit.

They will never come back of of their own free will.

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A lot of problems I see this people trying to read the Bible per the grammar of today.

The simple reality is the grammar and word means during biblical times is not how we do it today.

Made even worse is people swearing by the old archaic language used in the 1759 KJV. They read it as if they're reading a newspaper.

Nor do they allow for the errors in the KJV.

That is why the NIV is a top Bible today among many Bibles.

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is no doubt many people struggle with what the Holy Spirit is saying to them.

Then one day they reached the point they pay attention and are saved or reject and are lost.

Lady Crosstalk

Feb 16, 2019
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit is when someone seals their mind, spirit and heart to listening to the Holy Spirit.

The Holy Spirit leads people salvation. But he cannot lead anyone to salvation if they absolutely refused to listen to him.

Think about it. Paul was a persecutor of Christians. A top cop for the Pharisees. But he became a lead voice for Christ and Christians.

In all his sin he was still open to hearing the Holy Spirit.

I think we are essentially speaking of the same thing but I think that blasphemy of the Holy Spirit is calling His activities in this world "evil". He convicts the world of sin--an example that I can think of off the top of my head, is the issue of abortion. The Holy Spirit convicts even unbelievers with the definite understanding that abortion is evil. But, some "feminists" would accuse Christians of being "evil," when Christians call out abortion for the sin that it is. Isaiah spoke of "calling good evil and evil good". When someone has become so perverse as to call good evil, it is not clear that there is any coming back from that. Yes, any and all sin can be forgiven, but it is unlikely that someone who calls a clear evil "good" would ever seek God's forgiveness. It indicates a hardness of heart in which God may confirm them--an abandonment of them to their sin.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
They will never come back of of their own free will.
This is what would qualify those who have blasphemed the Holy Ghost. Those who have not, are able to come to Christ in repentance; there is something in them that continues to be willing to receive salvation.

Lady Crosstalk

Feb 16, 2019
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
This is what would qualify those who have blasphemed the Holy Ghost. Those who have not, are able to come to Christ in repentance; there is something in them that continues to be willing to receive salvation.

Yes--I heard a pastor once say something that stuck with me: "If you are afraid that you have committed the unpardonable sin, you more than likely haven't."

Reactions: CoreIssue

Earburner

Feb 2, 2019
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is inaccurate. The TR was written by a Catholic priest. The KJV does not line up 100% with the TR.
The modern translations were not based on the NIV, most were based on the oldest manuscripts. All of older than the 15th century TR.

Some, like the NKJV were based on the KJV and proofed against the old manuscripts.

Watch the videos. You are making a KJVO claim which is soundly refuted.
Wrong! For instance, you will NEVER find in the T/R or the KJV the word "THE" Antichrist, as being a one man band, whole world deceiver, in the singular. However the "fake" bibles do spell it out specifically as "The Antichrist" .
And you wonder WHY you believe the way you do, and we don't.

All who follow the "fake" bibles, translated from the W/H Greek, might as well read the JW bible, which is also translated from the W/H Greek.
Is it any wonder that the NIV is called the Nearly Inspired Version, or the RSV is called the Revised Subjective Version!

Lady Crosstalk

Feb 16, 2019
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

I always thought that it was calling good, evil and evil, good. It seems to happen when people who belong to the world (which is still the kingdom of Satan until the Lord Jesus sets up His righteous rule here) are so hardened that they can't even respond anymore to the convicting power of the Holy Spirit (see John 16:8-11 for His ministry to the world). I suspect that, when that happens to a majority of the earth's inhabitants, the Holy Spirit will step out of the way and abandon those people to their sin. From that point on, it is a downhill slide into hell and the Lake of Fire.

Last edited:

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I always thought that it was calling good, evil and evil, good. It seems to happen when people who belong to the world (which is still the kingdom of Satan until the Lord Jesus sets up His righteous rule here) are so hardened that they can't even respond anymore to the convicting power of the Holy Spirit (see John 16:8-11 for His ministry to the world). I suspect that, when that happens to a majority of the earth's inhabitants, the Holy Spirit will step out of the way and abandon those people to their sin. From that point on, it is a downhill slide into hell and the Lake of Fire.
That's the long way of saying of what I said. When people no longer here the Holy Spirit convicting them, there is no hope for them.

Reactions: Lady Crosstalk

Scoot

May 14, 2020
Victoria, Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I'm just looking back into this issue again now (as per my questions in Genuine Questions for Cessationist's ), but there's one thing at the moment I can't get my head around and that is the difference between blaspheming the Son of Man, and The Holy Spirit:

Mat 12:31-32 Therefore I say to you, All kinds of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven to men, but the blasphemy against the Holy Spirit shall not be forgiven to men. Whoever speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven, but whoever speaks against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven, either in this age or in the one to come."

Issues I'm having and I was hoping people can clarify:

If I am to take the understanding that this is the only time that people could blaspheme the Holy Spirit (because Jesus was walking the earth at that time):

1) Why does Jesus speak about, and what is the difference between "against the Son of Man", and "against the Holy Spirit"? Why would Jesus even put that in?

2) Going back a few verses in Verse 27-28 - Jesus specifically talks about driving out demons by The Holy Spirit. If He is driving demons out by The Holy Spirit - is that not what the apostles and other followers did as well? If this is the case, how can it only be those who blaspheme the Holy Spirit via Jesus (the son of Man) be those who blaspheme the Holy Spirit, and those who speak out and blaspheme others do exactly the same thing as Jesus (ie, Peter, Paul, etc) that are doing it by The Holy Spirit not be considered blasphemy of The Holy Spirit? Are they not casting out Demons by The Holy Spirit too?

My sincere apologies to anyone who's banging their head against their desk going "Why doesn't this bloke get it". :)

Thanks in advance.

Scoot

Scoot

May 14, 2020
Victoria, Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I'm just looking back into this issue again now (as per my questions in Genuine Questions for Cessationist's ), but there's one thing at the moment I can't get my head around and that is the difference between blaspheming the Son of Man, and The Holy Spirit:

Mat 12:31-32 Therefore I say to you, All kinds of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven to men, but the blasphemy against the Holy Spirit shall not be forgiven to men. Whoever speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven, but whoever speaks against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven, either in this age or in the one to come."

Issues I'm having and I was hoping people can clarify:

If I am to take the understanding that this is the only time that people could blaspheme the Holy Spirit (because Jesus was walking the earth at that time):

1) Why does Jesus speak about, and what is the difference between "against the Son of Man", and "against the Holy Spirit"? Why would Jesus even put that in?

2) Going back a few verses in Verse 27-28 - Jesus specifically talks about driving out demons by The Holy Spirit. If He is driving demons out by The Holy Spirit - is that not what the apostles and other followers did as well? If this is the case, how can it only be those who blaspheme the Holy Spirit via Jesus (the son of Man) be those who blaspheme the Holy Spirit, and those who speak out and blaspheme others do exactly the same thing as Jesus (ie, Peter, Paul, etc) that are doing it by The Holy Spirit not be considered blasphemy of The Holy Spirit? Are they not casting out Demons by The Holy Spirit too?

My sincere apologies to anyone who's banging their head against their desk going "Why doesn't this bloke get it". :)

Thanks in advance.

Scoot

@Enoch111 @Anthony D'Arienzo

(I asked here because I didn't want to derail the other thread) - and I am so sorry if I'm being a bit thick regarding this, but was just wondering if you would please be able to share your thoughts on the two questions above.

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
What is it?

Hello CoreIssue finally saw this thread, I have always wondered what is it too, of course the normal blasphemy of the Holy Spirit, is speaking bad of the Holy Spirit. But there is a whole another level of blasphemy. What is exactly the unforgivable sin?

Well I heard a really interesting viewpoint last Sunday, it went somewhere along the lines of "that the unforgivable sin, blasphemy against the Holy Spirit, is when you continually reject Holy Spirit, until it's too late."

So example of that quote would be, an atheist is told about God many times, but they still continue mock, scoff, reject Him, they then die without repentance and turning to God and allowing the Holy Spirit into their lives. That's unforgivable, because they turned away and rejected the Holy Spirit at every invitation throughout their life, at this point it's too late for them, they had many chances.

Also in saying all this, Christians also got to be careful, not to label, reject and judge the works of the Holy Spirit as something else. I find it quite a dangerous move when some slam some Christian revival movements (where very many turned to Jesus, repented, were healed, delivered, broken relationships restored, gifted with spiritual gifts, many even being re-ignited, rediscovering that enthusiasm for God, many being touched by the power of the Holy Spirit, saw very many signs, wonders and miracles - that's what a real revival is made of) and when someone slams that type of Christian movement being from someone else other than the Holy Spirit, that's a dangerous move.

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
(might never get an answer) >>>

"CoreIssue
Male, from USA

It is time for me to leave this forum. With that said, if you want to contact me [removed link to other forum as per forum rules]"

Anthony D'Arienzo

Jan 3, 2019
georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Enoch111 @Anthony D'Arienzo

(I asked here because I didn't want to derail the other thread) - and I am so sorry if I'm being a bit thick regarding this, but was just wondering if you would please be able to share your thoughts on the two questions above.
The Holy Spirit saves men. When men say that Jesus was being used by
Satan, they were reprobated.
Jesus is God in the flesh, others are just men, and we are warned there will be lying wonders.