BOOOO! HERE COMES THE HOLY GHOST!

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What is the offical position of the status of the Holy Spirit.....Ghost.....Spirit.....member of the Trinity?
What is the popular belief about the Holy Spirit?
What is your belief about the Holy Spirit?
What does the Holy Spirit do?

Holy Spirit:
One of the main differences between the churches are about the provenance of the Holy Spirit, or God's spiritual presence on earth. It is one of the three parts of the Christian Trinity, the other two being God the Father and His Son. The Orthodox Church believes the Holy Spirit "proceeds from God the Father," while for Catholics and Protestants, they believe the Holy Spirit "proceeds from the Father and the Son." Some Orthodox believers see the Catholic/Protestant version as underestimating the role of the Father in the Trinity, while critics of the Orthodox version say it is demeaning to the Son's role.

The underlying unspoken ramification is that.....the Holy Spirit is not a member of the Trinity and exists as more of a "will" of God the Father or God the Son in other words God's spiritual presence on earth. Which might mean we need to rename the Trinity as the Duality. The differences over this question were in place in the first century — and still are — one of the primary causes of the schism between the two churches.

So what do you believe?

Last edited:

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe the πνεῦμα blows where it wants; I may hear it sometimes, but I don't know where it comes from or where it is going.

"It"? He? She? I don't even know if the Holy Spirit is relationally a "Person" distinct from God the Father.

If I admit I don't know, does that make me an "agnostic"?

Last edited:

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe the πνεῦμα blows where it wants; I may hear it sometimes, but I don't know where it comes from or where it is going.

"It"? He? She? I don't even know if the Holy Spirit is relationally a "Person" separate from God the Father.

If I admit I don't know, does that make me an "agnostic"?
Thanks....just sampling for opinions.

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks....just sampling for opinions.
Sorry; let me clarify: In other words, should I relate to the Holy Spirit uniquely and differently than I do God the Father? I'm not sure I do. In line with the last paragraph of the OP, is the Holy Spirit something to be related to at all, or a manifestation of ... something else that comes from God? I guess the Holy Spirit can be grieved and insulted/blasphemed, which is a characteristic of personhood.

Interesting question.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nancy

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sorry; let me clarify: In other words, should I relate to the Holy Spirit uniquely and differently than I do God the Father? I'm not sure I do. In line with the last paragraph of the OP, is the Holy Spirit something to be related to at all, or a manifestation of ... something else that comes from God? I guess the Holy Spirit can be grieved and insulted/blasphemed, which is a characteristic of personhood.

Interesting question.

“If you love me, you will keep my commandments. And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Helper, to be with you forever, even the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees him nor knows him. You know him, for he dwells with you and will be in you. John 14:15-17

But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, he will teach you all things and bring to your remembrance all that I have said to you. John 14:26

When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth, for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come. John 16:3

7 But I tell you the truth, it is to your advantage that I go away; for if I do not go away, the [a]Helper will not come to you; but if I go, I will send Him to you. 8 And He, when He comes, will convict the world concerning sin and righteousness and judgment; 9 concerning sin, because they do not believe in Me; 10 and concerning righteousness, because I go to the Father and you no longer see Me; 11 and concerning judgment, because the ruler of this world has been judged.
12 “I have many more things to say to you, but you cannot bear them now. 13 But when He, the Spirit of truth, comes, He will guide you into all the truth; for He will not speak on His own initiative, but whatever He hears, He will speak; and He will disclose to you what is to come. 14 He will glorify Me, for He will take of Mine and will disclose it to you. 15 All things that the Father has are Mine; therefore I said that He takes of Mine and will disclose it to you. John 16:7-15

And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues as the Spirit gave them utterance. Act 2:4

And when they had prayed, the place in which they were gathered together was shaken, and they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and continued to speak the word of God with boldness. Act 4:31

How God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Spirit and with power. He went about doing good and healing all who were oppressed by the devil, for God was with him. Act 10-38

Reactions: Lambano

M3n0r4h

Jun 3, 2023
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What is the offical position of the status of the Holy Spirit.....Ghost.....Spirit.....member of the Trinity?
What is the popular belief about the Holy Spirit?
What is your belief about the Holy Spirit?
What does the Holy Spirit do?

Holy Spirit:
One of the main differences between the churches are about the provenance of the Holy Spirit, or God's spiritual presence on earth. It is one of the three parts of the Christian Trinity, the other two being God the Father and His Son. The Orthodox Church believes the Holy Spirit "proceeds from God the Father," while for Catholics and Protestants, they believe the Holy Spirit "proceeds from the Father and the Son." Some Orthodox believers see the Catholic/Protestant version as underestimating the role of the Father in the Trinity, while critics of the Orthodox version say it is demeaning to the Son's role.

The underlying unspoken ramification is that.....the Holy Spirit is not a member of the Trinity and exists as more of a "will" of God the Father or God the Son in other words God's spiritual presence on earth. Which might mean we need to rename the Trinity as the Duality. The differences over this question were in place in the first century — and still are — one of the primary causes of the schism between the two churches.

So what do you believe?
The issue between the eastern and western catholic groups is that the filioque was added to the creed sans a council. That's their issue and really doesn't apply to the divinity of the Holy Spirit. In the NT, Jesus reveals a truth concerning the Holy spirit in Mark 3:28-30:

Mark 3:28-30

Amplified Bible

28 “I assure you and most solemnly say to you, all sins will be forgiven the sons of men, and all the abusive and blasphemous things they say; 29 but whoever [a]blasphemes against the Holy Spirit and His power [by attributing the miracles done by Me to Satan] never has forgiveness, but is guilty of an everlasting sin [a sin which is unforgivable in this present age as well as in the age to come]”— 30 [Jesus said this] because the scribes and Pharisees were [attributing His miracles to Satan by] saying, “He has an unclean spirit.”

Then we witness that in John chapters 14-16, Jesus reveals the role of the Holy Spirit in the life of the believer.

John 14:16-17 & 26

Amplified Bible

Role of the Spirit

16 And I will ask the Father, and He will give you another Helper (Comforter, Advocate, Intercessor—Counselor, Strengthener, Standby), to be with you forever— 17 the Spirit of Truth, whom the world cannot receive [and take to its heart] because it does not see Him or know Him, but you know Him because He (the Holy Spirit) remains with you continually and will be in you.

John 15:26

Amplified Bible

26 “But when the [a]Helper (Comforter, Advocate, Intercessor—Counselor, Strengthener, Standby) comes, whom I will send to you from the Father, that is the Spirit of Truth who comes from the Father, He will testify and bear witness about Me.

John 16:7-11

Amplified Bible

7 But I tell you the truth, it is to your advantage that I go away; for if I do not go away, the Helper (Comforter, Advocate, Intercessor—Counselor, Strengthener, Standby) will not come to you; but if I go, I will send Him (the Holy Spirit) to you [to be in close fellowship with you]. 8 And He, when He comes, will convict the world about [the guilt of] sin [and the need for a Savior], and about righteousness, and about judgment: 9 about sin [and the true nature of it], because they do not believe in Me [and My message]; 10 about righteousness [personal integrity and godly character], because I am going to My Father and you will no longer see Me; 11 about judgment [the certainty of it], because the ruler of this world (Satan) has been judged and condemned.

IMO, the above cited dialogue indicates person-hood as in a member of the Godhead rather than some kind of impersonal force or will. You believe as you wish, but my personal belief (as established in the Council of 381) is that the Holy Spirit is a member of the triune (& echad) Godhead. This is consistent to how God was revealed at the 'burning bush' incident when Moses was told to tell the Israelites that "I AM" (Eyeh Asher Eyeh) has sent him.
https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=John 16&version=AMP
https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Mark 3&version=AMP

Reactions: Grailhunter