Born Again

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

chefguy85

Nov 6, 2007
I am proud to say that just a little over 6 months ago I declared Jesus my Lord and Savior after so many years of denying his name. I love him so much yet sometimes I feel as though the 'old' me is holding me back from experiencing his full grace. I have lived such a life of sin and am trying so so so much to live a different life, but my past seems to want to seep into my brain random times during the day. Am I the only one that has had this? Besides praying and playing music, how can I drown out or eliminate the voices?

Wakka

Jun 4, 2007
Take deeper steps into righteousness. The deeper you go the less your old self bothers you. That's the idea anyway. Find God's will and peruse in it. If it's going out to your local park and witnessing, then do it
smile.gif

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
(chefguy85;21771)
I am proud to say that just a little over 6 months ago I declared Jesus my Lord and Savior after so many years of denying his name. I love him so much yet sometimes I feel as though the 'old' me is holding me back from experiencing his full grace. I have lived such a life of sin and am trying so so so much to live a different life, but my past seems to want to seep into my brain random times during the day. Am I the only one that has had this? Besides praying and playing music, how can I drown out or eliminate the voices?
I'm glad, very glad to hear that you have accepted Yahshua as Lord and Saviour. My advice is to listen to His Words. On another thing, you can not talk to yourself. (It helps me alot) As it is, we are our own enemies.Love much to you from Jag.Lovest ye in Christ Yahshua our Lord and Saviour.

Jon-Marc

Jun 8, 2007
Jacumba, CA
Welcome to the family of God and to the forums. We all have satan as our enemy, and he wants to destroy our testimony so that we will be ineffective for the Lord. All kinds of thoughts will pop into your mind as well as old desires, but trust in the Lord and look to Him. He will give you the victory over it all. Living the Christian life won't be easy, but we don't have to do it by our own strength.

J.M.

Oct 28, 2007
Rom 7:21 I find then a law, that, when I would do good, evil is present with me.There is a law of sin warring with your new nature, don't give up hope because we know, "...that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose." Rom 8:28 :pray4:

For Life

Feb 24, 2007
You've been conditioned all your life by the world to be of the world. Now that you are born again you do not belong to the world but you live in it and you know its ways. In fact you know the ways of the world better than you know the ways of God. The only reason I know this is because I am in the same spot as you. I want to know God's way better but it is foreign to me. All my natural tendencies are opposite of what God wants from me. But He is helping me to transform me into something better, and He is doing the same for you. It won't be easy, but I know in my heart of hearts that it will be rewarding.

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I Corinthians 10:13
There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it.
He loves you too, just as we all do. Stay in his Word, and the best advice I can give is to fill the void of the earthly with the heavenly. You'll do well.

crooner

Aug 11, 2007
DenverDo you have any other threads on garden of Eden. I read The tru sin and found it very interesting. Would like to know more.Crooner

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
I can help you to know more Crooner if you so desire. It is wonderful blessing.Jag

Jon-Marc

Jun 8, 2007
Jacumba, CA
(chefguy85;21771)
Perhaps "proud" would not be the proper word to use. Happy would be a much better word. Anyway, welcome to the family of God. Satan will use our faults, failures, desires, and our weaknesses against us to make us fall and give up. We must keep our eyes on Jesus, for He is our strength. We cannot do it on our own, but in Him we can do all things.

AngelFive

Nov 7, 2007
(chefguy85;21771)
Hi Chefguy85,I have had the same thing happen in the past. I think the advice given by others here is very good. I would also like to add what helped me along with keeping my eyes on Jesus.I had to Pinpoint my negative voice. Every time I think of something negative about myself or others I counteract it with the positive. I asked myself How would Jesus treat me? What would He say to me in that very moment?REMEMBER...He is my best friend...What would my best friend say to me? What would I say to my best friend? I "Think" it and "Say" it verbally if I need to. Eventually the Love overcomes the Hate. Positive Affirmations every morning along with Prayer really helped me overcome my old beliefs about myself. I am still in need of change and I am still healing but I have certainly come a very long way with His help of course. I give the Lord the Glory. I can give you some things to say but I need to know exactly the issues you are dealing with. You can PM me if you like or if it's personal.. I understand, just pray about it and "EXPECT" the "ANSWERS" to come. They will....maybe already have!!
smile.gif
Love and Prayers to you.

Jon-Marc

Jun 8, 2007
Jacumba, CA
Unfortunately, Angel, I grew up on criticism, rejection, put-downs and all kinds of verbal abuse. Because of it I grew up with a severe stutter that I had until I was nearly 30. I also have very little self confidence and have always tended to put myself down. Why not? Everyone else did. Even the Bible tells us not to think more highly of ourselves than we ought. It did accomplish one good thing and gave me a heart that is willing to admit that I can't do it alone and need the Lord. I have never been one to trust in myself thanks to an abuse sorry-excuse-for-a-dad. So where do we draw the line on normal self confidence, and thinking too highly of ourselves? Personally, I have no idea.

AngelFive

Nov 7, 2007
"So where do we draw the line on normal self confidence, and thinking too highly of ourselves?"I think we draw the line when our behaviour hurts another. I grew up under the same circumstances you describe along with physical violence as well. I am sorry for your pain, I totally understand..I had a very hard time speaking at all. I still struggle with it, but I am working through it with the Lord's assistance of course. I think when I began to look at myself as a Child of GOD..the true FATHER of all living, that's when my focus shifted.If I saw my daughter, my child looking at herself in the mirror and calling herself horrible names..It would make me so very sad. I would correct her immediatley and tell her how beautiful and intelligent and warm hearted she is..How God put her here to do wonderful things for HIM and to help others. Think about how you would feel if you saw your little baby saying horrible things about himself all the time. Now imagine how GOD must feel ..we are ALL HIS children. I BELIEVE ..He loves us and wants us to be LOVING to everyone and everything even to ourselves..HIS CHILDREN.God Bless YOU!!

Jon-Marc

Jun 8, 2007
Jacumba, CA
Being made to suppress my emotions and feeling I was (and still am) unable to express myself verbally, and so I turned to writing. I have no problem expressing myself in written words. However, if I try to speak my mind goes blank, and I can't think of what I want to say. I write religious poetry--nothing fancy but I like it. I also turned to singing as a way of expressing myself. God has blessed me with a better than average voice, and I've used it for Him since I was 17 when I was saved. I can't talk in front of people, but I can sing.

AngelFive

Nov 7, 2007
That's very interesting and it's wonderful that you are sharing your God given talent with others. You inspire others with your voice and with what words you choose to sing. Gymnastics and Running is also another way to release suppressed anger and emotions and keep your Body/Temple in great condition. It's a negative energy that simply needs to be converted to something positive. Writing poetry is excellent.. I have some of my own ..
smile.gif
. I have recently been speaking in front of large crowds. Public speaking was my only fear and I wanted to confront it. It's extremely difficult at first to take that first step... half of me wanted to run the other way. :eek:When the fear hits me....I put my focus on Jesus and I remember what He went through for me and that gives me the strength to stand up there and express what needs to be expressed. I think that nothing I experience in my life could ever come close to what He went through. I think about what I would have done if I were there with Him and what I can do now. I found it to be extremely humbling, I put myself out there for everyone to either reject or accept, when you grow up with rejection, you constantly fear it from others.. until we learn to accept ourself as we are and believe that God loves and accepts us unconditionally, and He is all that really matters above all others. I know He loves me and that is what strengthens me. I found out afterwards that everyone is just like me, and I got so many hugs and compliments after speaking that I was amazed. I wasn't expecting anything, I was simply sharing my heart with others and keeping my eyes on God. I am so glad I am facing it, although it's still difficult I feel like with continued practice it will become easier. "On the other side of our biggest fear lies our greatest reward":...Thank you for sharing your life with me, it amazes me how we attract those in our life that reflect us. Those that have lived the same way and understand beyond words the emotions we feel.
smile.gif
Wishing you much HAPPINESS and Continued HEALING...

chefguy85

Nov 6, 2007
I completely agree with you Jon-Marc in that I have no idea how to measure the fine line between arrogance and confidence. I did not grow up in the same environment as you, but I grew up with a loving, yet nonsupporting and atheist mother. I had no one to back me up when I was down, no one to teach me about the Lord. It was hard to find confidence, a back bone, anywhere. I find it now, since I have accepted the Lord into my life, but several times lack that ultimate boost of confidence to get to my fullest potential. I am hoping that the more trust I build with Jesus Christ, the more internal strength I will gain.

AngelFive

Nov 7, 2007
Hubris or hybris (Greek ὕβρις), according to its modern usage, is exaggerated self pride or self-confidence (overbearing pride), often resulting in fatal retribution. In Ancient Greece, "hubris" referred to actions taken in order to shame the victim, thereby making oneself seem superior. (Arrogance)Making another human being feel like they are unworthy by your words and actions in comparison to them. (Arrogance)Self Confidence, Self Love...knowing you are the Temple in which Our Lord's Spirit dwells.Two very different definitions...Two very different ideas of beingness. Really... the total opposite of one another.Thanks for that question.
smile.gif

haanne

Oct 29, 2007
HI I would say that the word creates faith. The more faith the better. I love the book of Matthew.Studing and reading the life of Christ will transform you. John was the disciple Jesus loved. Jesus called him his friend. So getting his presepective on things cant hurt either. While your at it you might take a glance at 1 corinthians 5 the whole chapter, its about keeping you on a straight path. Ultimately pray. meditate with music God is good. You will never get it right 100 % of the time .dont beat yourself up when you fall. Christ came so that when you fall he can pick you up and present you as holy and unblemished before the Father. with love Haanne