Building Up/Encouraging

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
1 Thessalonians 5:10-12
He died for us so that, whether we are awake or asleep, we may live together with him. Therefore encourage one another and build each other up,

Do you post on this forum to build people up and encourage them or for some other purpose?

God sees us a garden. Now, a garden has as many weeds as proper plants. If we just water a garden without also taking out the weeds...then the weeds will choke out the plants because they grow faster. Lies have a way of taking over the garden unless they are properly identified. So then what part of people do we want to edify? All of us? If so then we are likely to be encouraging the wrong part of us. The carnal mind resists the truth in favour of what SOUNDS good to it. So then the truth will appear harsh as long as we remain unbroken in the carnal outer man (the weed part of us). That is why the narrow way is difficult. We want love to sound good to our ears. But the pill must first be bitter before it becomes sweet. To encourage without discernment makes the pill sweet at first but ultimately bitter.

So which is better? Wisdom does not seek an instant gratification. But the flesh does.
We are not to build again what the Lord has torn down. God is only looking for fellowship with the inner man...not with who we think we are in our whole person. God does not respect our "person"...or what we present to the world. The truth goes deeper than that...or it isn't the truth.

Reactions: Azim and Truman

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
God sees us a garden. Now, a garden has as many weeds as proper plants. If we just water a garden without also taking out the weeds...then the weeds will choke out the plants because they grow faster. Lies have a way of taking over the garden unless they are properly identified. So then what part of people do we want to edify? All of us? If so then we are likely to be encouraging the wrong part of us. The carnal mind resists the truth in favour of what SOUNDS good to it. So then the truth will appear harsh as long as we remain unbroken in the carnal outer man (the weed part of us). That is why the narrow way is difficult. We want love to sound good to our ears. But the pill must first be bitter before it becomes sweet. To encourage without discernment makes the pill sweet at first but ultimately bitter.

So which is better? Wisdom does not seek an instant gratification. But the flesh does.
We are not to build again what the Lord has torn down. God is only looking for fellowship with the inner man...not with who we think we are in our whole person. God does not respect our "person"...or what we present to the world. The truth goes deeper than that...or it isn't the truth.
@Episkopos There are plenty of other threads in which to weed out the weeds so please use them to air those kind of views, or start your own. This thread is meant ONLY for encouragement so it balances out the threads that prefer to tear down rather than build up. And posts like that are not welcome. But please feel free to post encouraging comments.

Last edited:

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
@Episkopos There are plenty of other threads in which to weed out the weeds so please use them to air those kind of views, or start your own. This thread is meant ONLY for encouragement so it balances out the threads that prefer to tear down rather than build up. And posts like that are not welcome. But please feel free to post encouraging comments.
I'm encouraging people to be properly encouraged! We are all created in God's image...in the inner man. That is the only part of us that should be encouraged...the part that God has chosen to regenerate and save. I'm not suggesting that this thread is for weeding out weeds...but simply using a little discernment on how we are to encourage our fellow believers in a way that is actually useful and productive. :)

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I'm encouraging people to be properly encouraged! We are all created in God's image...in the inner man. That is the only part of us that should be encouraged...the part that God has chosen to regenerate and save. I'm not suggesting that this thread is for weeding out weeds...but simply using a little discernment on how we are to encourage our fellow believers in a way that is actually useful and productive. :)
This thread is definitely not for weeding out weeds it is for encouraging and building up. Now @Episkopos please don't spoil it for everybody with your negativity or I will report you - and I really don't want to have to do that. If you are a Christian brother then join in with the right heart.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This thread is definitely not for weeding out weeds it is for encouraging and building up. Now @Episkopos please don't spoil it for everybody with your negativity or I will report you - and I really don't want to have to do that. If you are a Christian brother then join in with the right heart.
I've often heard people say God uses the devil to tempt us. But I don't think God uses evil to do anything. God only does good.

As far as building up and encouraging. I think that is what God does for his children. Sure he warns the wicked, but I don't think many of us need warnings but rather encouragement.

I've often thought because of this, is there really any need for the devil? What if he were gone? Would it be a better more Godly world? God can provide his Holy Spirit to compel people to do good. And the devil tricks people to do evil. What if it were just God and the devil were gone. Then perhaps we would just be compelled by God to do good. And that sounds like a better planet to live on. A good people united.

Reactions: Pearl

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I've often heard people say God uses the devil to tempt us. But I don't think God uses evil to do anything. God only does good.

As far as building up and encouraging. I think that is what God does for his children. Sure he warns the wicked, but I don't think many of us need warnings but rather encouragement.

I've often thought because of this, is there really any need for the devil? What if he were gone? Would it be a better more Godly world? God can provide his Holy Spirit to compel people to do good. And the devil tricks people to do evil. What if it were just God and the devil were gone. Then perhaps we would just be compelled by God to do good. And that sounds like a better planet to live on. A good people united.
I believe that kindness and encouragement will win more souls that pointing fingers.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
3f11e67a8ee1700ab90c3c3e255c5f31.jpg

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 Thessalonians 5:10-12
He died for us so that, whether we are awake or asleep, we may live together with him. Therefore encourage one another and build each other up,

Do you post on this forum to build people up and encourage them or for some other purpose?

My aim is to:

“warn them that are unruly, comfort the feebleminded, support the weak, be patient toward all men.” (1 Thessalonians 5:14)

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
My aim is to:

“warn them that are unruly, comfort the feebleminded, support the weak, be patient toward all men.” (1 Thessalonians 5:14)
No Warning on this thread please it is for building up, support and encouragement. It is not for warning. There are plenty of other threads for that or you can start your own but don't spoil it for people on here. Take note @Michiah-Imla - thank you.

Reactions: Truman

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
No Warning on this thread please it is for building up, support and encouragement. It is not for warning. There are plenty of other threads for that or you can start your own but don't spoil it for people on here. Take note @Michiah-Imla - thank you.
Sounds like a warning to me! Lol

Reactions: L.A.M.B.