But by prayer and fasting

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Question

And this one I am really curious about. Many people go and see psychics, or dabble some in fortune telling. The psychics are usually spot on when someone is asking about another person (They get hair color, eye color, status, what they do for a living. these things impress the person asking.
For future things they are sometimes correct, at other times, not.)Which means, if for example I want to know if someone I'm dating is going to marry me, they will be able to tell me what he looks like, and family anywhere, if he has another girlfriend, ==they may say yes, that he will marry me, (but its a toss up if he will.) Yes, I have been to one decades ago, and it is uncanny. How do they know?
God doesn't play around like this. What I want to know is where that psychic is getting that information. Bet I can tell ya. The invisible world is full of God's angels,but is also full of satan's as well. It is as easy as pie for them to see what you or a friend are doing, and report it to a practitioner of the arts.
Their purpose is to draw away from the Lord, and this is a good way to get in.

Where do you, since you think everyone is locked up, think that psychics get that information?

Reactions: GaryAnderson

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Cassandra, mind games and manipulation. Reading facial expressions, digging up information after being met with the person, inside information trades things like this... simply just telling them lies. People do that still today in life.

Last edited:

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Nope. You cannot tell me that someone would know an astrological sign, vocation,unique things about the family. they don't sit there and play 20 questions. They don't ask. they tell.
There is only one place they can get that information. They don't know who you are. You have no idea. this was way before internet. You just go see them. They know nothing about you.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Nope. You cannot tell me that someone would know an astrological sign, vocation,unique things about the family. they don't sit there and play 20 questions. They don't ask. they tell.
There is only one place they can get that information. They don't know who you are. You have no idea. this was way before internet. You just go see them. They know nothing about you.

You may believe how ever you like, my friend. I completely believe in the victory of Jesus. And I believe that darkness still exists but it has nothing to do with Demons and Satan. When I was younger I use to fascinated with Satan, and the darkness even going with friends in the graveyards and playing the oujia boards and witnessed once’s something like a possession but it really was not.

Ive come the conclusion that Satan and his demons have been defeated but darkness can take you far away from God.

David H.

Aug 25, 2020
michigan
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
(Back then of course Demons could possess bodies ( because Satan and his Demons had not been taken out of just yet in the lake of fire) - I do not believe this happens now today - sorry but I do not.) I do however believe that the darkness of the soul still exist. And the reality that our flesh does dark things as well. Lie, steal, murder, manipulate, jealous, envy.

Matthew,
I disagree, having witnessed people possessed by demons this is very real, even today.

Reactions: amadeus

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hey you guys can believe however you like my friends. I’m just telling you what I believe. My life has gotten a lot better with knowing Satan and his demons have been defeated understanding that darkness still exists and causes problems to the soul like the young boy in the story. Our flesh also causes darkness to happen. The darkness can lead to all kinds of problems and the only solution is Jesus Christ. Only the Holy Spirit brings forth light, and the spirit of Christ.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
...Where do you, since you think everyone is locked up, think that psychics get that information?
The left hand of God! Who gave Adam and Eve the two choices in the Garden? To obey Him or not! The

Pharaoh's magicians imitated what God was doing through Moses and Aaron...until they could not!

"And Moses and Aaron did so, as the LORD commanded; and he lifted up the rod, and smote the waters that were in the river, in the sight of Pharaoh, and in the sight of his servants; and all the waters that were in the river were turned to blood.
And the fish that was in the river died; and the river stank, and the Egyptians could not drink of the water of the river; and there was blood throughout all the land of Egypt.
And the magicians of Egypt did so with their enchantments: and Pharaoh's heart was hardened, neither did he hearken unto them; as the LORD had said" Exodus 7:20-22

"And Aaron stretched out his hand over the waters of Egypt; and the frogs came up, and covered the land of Egypt.
And the magicians did so with their enchantments, and brought up frogs upon the land of Egypt." Exodus 8:6-7

"And they did so; for Aaron stretched out his hand with his rod, and smote the dust of the earth, and it became lice in man, and in beast; all the dust of the land became lice throughout all the land of Egypt.
And the magicians did so with their enchantments to bring forth lice, but they could not: so there were lice upon man, and upon beast.
Then the magicians said unto Pharaoh, This is the finger of God: and Pharaoh's heart was hardened, and he hearkened not unto them; as the LORD had said." Exodus 8:17-19

"Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity." Matt 7:22-23

"Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:
For I was an hungered, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink:" Matt 25:41-42

"A wise man's heart is at his right hand; but a fool's heart at his left." Ecc 10:2

"Woe unto the world because of offences! for it must needs be that offences come; but woe to that man by whom the offence cometh!
Wherefore if thy hand or thy foot offend thee, cut them off, and cast them from thee: it is better for thee to enter into life halt or maimed, rather than having two hands or two feet to be cast into everlasting fire." Matt 18:7-8

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@David H.

Words which would might describe the situation well would be, embedded or entrenched! Like sinking into quicksand! The longer you are in it and the more you struggle, the worse your situation becomes. Fortunately, for us nothing is too difficult for God.

Good reminder brother of mine. Thank you. The only way is UP, calling upon His Name. Do you believe brother, that one must have hands laid on them by prayerful fasting Christians
in order to be free from these things? Mornings are pretty bad for me, don't ever want to get up to face another long, same ole, same ole. I act out and cannot seem to help it. It's the same almost every morning too. When one should go from their beds in the mornings to their knees immediately, it is becoming more difficult lately...well since mid summer really. Just wondered about the laying on of hands, prayer and fasting. I would ask one of my brothers to do it but, our "issues" are somewhat alike.
Wish you were closer brother!!!!
God bless abundantly John!

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You may believe how ever you like, my friend. I completely believe in the victory of Jesus. And I believe that darkness still exists but it has nothing to do with Demons and Satan. When I was younger I use to fascinated with Satan, and the darkness even going with friends in the graveyards and playing the oujia boards and witnessed once’s something like a possession but it really was not.

I've come the conclusion that Satan and his demons have been defeated but darkness can take you far away from God.
And you are free to believe whatever you want, but if I think it is detrimental for others to see just your one side, and think that's it, I am gonna say something.
I believe in Victory of Jesus too, don't make it sound like I don't, just because Bible events aren't wrapped up yet, according to my Bible. It was finished at the Cross,of course it was! but the end of the world has not come yet. There is still time for those who will come, to come. Satan is working to bring as many to his side as he can.
I have no idea of the darkness of the soul stuff, what it is.
You still haven't told me where the information came from. And you don't need to. I already know

I've come the conclusion that Satan and his demons have been defeated but darkness can take you far away from God

They have been defeated in that they cannot win, but that does not mean they are done with their work at this time. They can press you to do evil, but you do it.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Once, very early in our marriage, before we met Jesus, my wife's brother introduced us to a Ouija board. That evening in his home the real power wielded somehow through that thing scared us both. We backed away from there never to return to such things even though we were at the time only nominal or backslid Catholics. We did believe in God and we had no doubt that that was not a way to please Him at all.

But...there was wrong power or misused power!

"And God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good. And the evening and the morning were the sixth day." Gen 1:31

God made it all very good, but then men began to twist and pervert that which was good until it was very evil indeed.

Jesus was sent to bring Life, but most people prefer to continue traveling in their "death more abundantly" ways.

Reactions: Wynona and Nancy

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
After Jesus cast the evil spirit out of the deaf and mute boy, He asked the father of the boy how long he was like this and his father said from youth. The Apostles could not drive this spirit out by only their faith but by prayer and fasting.

Has anyone ever wondered why this "kind" goes out ONLY with prayer and fasting?
Could it be that the longer a person is being controlled by an evil spirit the harder it is to cast them out?

Makes me wonder about folks coming to The Lord late in life with all those decades of living in the world and by the worlds dictates, there must be SOME residue left as, I've seen nobody in the church's "casting out devils". Newbies are basically left on their own, unless they are fortunate enough to find a Spirit filled bible believing Church with caring Christians - and that is NOT the norm, by far.
So, I guess what I'm getting at is there must be a whole lot of professing Christians who are still walking around with the "spirit of fear', the spirit of anger, lust, gossip,....on and on if they themselves never got prayed over by someone who has become prayed up and is fasting. Has this EVER happened to anyone?

Bottom line, DON'T WASTE TIME because TODAY is the day of salvation! The longer one holds off submitting to Him, the harder it will become when/if one actually does seek Him.

Hope this makes some kind of sense.

Agree, Prayer AND Fasting go hand in hand for a “serious” request.
How many ARE willing to MISS A MEAL, “let alone seriously FAST for days”
for a “serious” prayer request to BENEFIT “another”?

Think there are people in the world, requesting, new “exercise” machines, new “exercise” videos, memberships to “exercise” studios, a gift certificate to a Physicians Office “to suck their fat away”...
FOR a Christmas gift TO THEM, TO BENEFIT THEM?

Prayer AND FASTING for the Benefit of an other, I would say, IS NOT a Usual Thought or Consideration, FOR the bulk of persons calling themselves;
Christians.
True “FASTING” can be and usually is, literally stomach churning, nauseating, weakening, very unpleasant...but reveals the depths one is willing to suffer, for a request to God, for the relief of an others suffering.
Pretty “eye opening”, when you think about it.

Glory to God,
Taken

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Once, very early in our marriage, before we met Jesus, my wife's brother introduced us to a Ouija board. That evening in his home the real power wielded somehow through that thing scared us both. We backed away from there never to return to such things even though we were at the time only nominal or backslid Catholics. We did believe in God and we had no doubt that that was not a way to please Him at all.

But...there was wrong power or misused power!

"And God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good. And the evening and the morning were the sixth day." Gen 1:31

God made it all very good, but then men began to twist and pervert that which was good until it was very evil indeed.

Jesus was sent to bring Life, but most people prefer to continue traveling in their "death more abundantly" ways.

Only one time did I too do the Ouija board and that was when I was about 12 years old...it was the last time I ever got near one. It was a long time ago but, it put a scare into myself and especially the guy whose house we were at. BAD NEWS!

Reactions: Taken and amadeus

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@amadeus what is the Greek word for magician ?
In the NT the closest usage is probably in Acts where Simon a sorcerer is mentioned:

"But there was a certain man, called Simon, which beforetime in the same city used sorcery, and bewitched the people of Samaria, giving out that himself was some great one:" Acts 8:9

Sorcery:
mageuvw
Mageuo (mag-yoo'-o);
Word Origin: Greek, Verb, Strong #: 3096

1. to be a magician, to practise magical arts

In the OT the magicians of Pharaoh would have been in the Hebrew as per:

"And the magicians did so with
their enchantments..." Ex 8:7

Magicians:

~trx Chartom (khar-tome'); Noun Masculine, Strong #: 2748
  1. diviner, magician, astrologer
    1. engraver, writer (only in derivative sense of one possessed of occult knowledge)

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
After Jesus cast the evil spirit out of the deaf and mute boy, He asked the father of the boy how long he was like this and his father said from youth. The Apostles could not drive this spirit out by only their faith but by prayer and fasting.

Has anyone ever wondered why this "kind" goes out ONLY with prayer and fasting?
Could it be that the longer a person is being controlled by an evil spirit the harder it is to cast them out?

Makes me wonder about folks coming to The Lord late in life with all those decades of living in the world and by the worlds dictates, there must be SOME residue left as, I've seen nobody in the church's "casting out devils". Newbies are basically left on their own, unless they are fortunate enough to find a Spirit filled bible believing Church with caring Christians - and that is NOT the norm, by far.
So, I guess what I'm getting at is there must be a whole lot of professing Christians who are still walking around with the "spirit of fear', the spirit of anger, lust, gossip,....on and on if they themselves never got prayed over by someone who has become prayed up and is fasting. Has this EVER happened to anyone?

Bottom line, DON'T WASTE TIME because TODAY is the day of salvation! The longer one holds off submitting to Him, the harder it will become when/if one actually does seek Him.

Hope this makes some kind of sense.
First there are people that will properly pray and fast for a healing they must be part of. I have been healed from good Christians and I have been part of healing.

Second I had fasted and been brought low for three days and a darkness left my soul and after that I began to get better. Normal people, as I believe you were pointing out, turn possessed from earthly ways. I was 24 when the darkness left me. I have fasted three days on a few occasions for healing people and myself.

Third, not everyone is drawn in by the Father. Which is what you are referring to being born again. Most Christians are still worldly by nature and are incapable of seeking the Lord because they will never find him unless the Father draws them in.

John 6:44: "No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day."

Reactions: amadeus and Nancy

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
First there are people that will properly pray and fast for a healing they must be part of. I have been healed from good Christians and I have been part of healing.

Second I had fasted and been brought low for three days and a darkness left my soul and after that I began to get better. Normal people, as I believe you were pointing out, turn possessed from earthly ways. I was 24 when the darkness left me. I have fasted three days on a few occasions for healing people and myself.

Third, not everyone is drawn in by the Father. Which is what you are referring to being born again. Most Christians are still worldly by nature and are incapable of seeking the Lord because they will never find him unless the Father draws them in.

John 6:44: "No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day."

Good advice with the fasting for yourself, Thank you. Praise God that He brought you out of that darkness.
BTW-are you a reformed Baptist?

Reactions: dev553344