Cain and Abel and good works

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Cain and Abel both did "good works," but to God, Cain's works were displeasing, and Abel's works were pleasing. What made the difference? According to the Apostle John, Cain simply had corrupt motives, coming out of his own sinfulness, whereas Abel was responding in love to God's word of grace. One was accepting God's word of grace whereas the other was rejecting that word of grace for his own independent action and selfish initiative.

There are only two ways to do works for God in life, by responding to God's word of grace or by competing with God's virtue by trying to establish our own virtue independent of God. We can be like Cain and try to do good for God apart from God's help, or we can be like Abel, working with God to exercise God's virtues.

This is not a battle over whether people can do "good works" or not. We can all do good works, having been made in the image of God. We can respond to God's word of grace or we can try to compete with it by trying to establish our own virtues.

Nothing in the Bible condemns human works unless it it referring to works that are done to establish human righteousness apart from God's grace. Paul argued against the ability to earn anything with God apart from God's grace. But neither does he deny that people can respond to God's word of grace and obey Him by doing good works.

We need to be clear on this semantics difficulty over "works." The Bible does not prohibit Man from doing "good works." He simply prohibits us from doing them apart from His word of grace. It is in His outreach to us that we can do good. It is His word that empowers us. When He commands us, then we may do it. When He reveals His ways to us we may comply with them.

The key is in our relationship with God. We must respond to His Word, because He does reach out to us, even though we're fallen people. His word of grace is here to enable us to do good works, to please him, and to enter into His Son for Salvation.

Reactions: Nancy

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Cain and Abel both did "good works," but to God, Cain's works were displeasing, and Abel's works were pleasing. What made the difference? According to the Apostle John, Cain simply had corrupt motives, coming out of his own sinfulness, whereas Abel was responding in love to God's word of grace. One was accepting God's word of grace whereas the other was rejecting that word of grace for his own independent action and selfish initiative.
I had always heard that the Lord told Cain and Abel of the blood sacrifice which was needed for sin. Cain chose to disregard what he was told.

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Online source.

Therefore, the phrase “faith without works is dead” refers to a believer living without a desire to accomplish good works for God. Such a person is still saved by their faith, just as Abraham was, but their faith is useless to God in that it produces no glory for Him

According to evangelical Baptist theology, good works are the consequence of salvation and not its justification. They are the sign of a sincere and grateful faith. They include actions for the Great Commission, that is, evangelism, service in the Church and charity.

My good works come from receiving the Holy Spirit.....I do everything to Glorify God and forever grateful for his mercy ,kindness and Love.....
To which I owe my life and service to my Lord Jesus...Amen!

Last edited:

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I had always heard that the Lord told Cain and Abel of the blood sacrifice which was needed for sin. Cain chose to disregard what he was told.
Well, we don't know how much Cain understood about animal or blood sacrifices? What I do know is that the Apostle John identified Cain as a child of the Evil One. That means he had the wrong motives for giving gifts to God.

I don't think it was the offerings from the field that offended God, but rather, the fact his heart was wrong. He was competing with God's revelation to do good apart from God so that he could live life his own way.

Reactions: Ritajanice

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Online source.

Therefore, the phrase “faith without works is dead” refers to a believer living without a desire to accomplish good works for God. Such a person is still saved by their faith, just as Abraham was, but their faith is useless to God in that it produces no glory for Him

According to evangelical Baptist theology, good works are the consequence of salvation and not its justification. They are the sign of a sincere and grateful faith. They include actions for the Great Commission, that is, evangelism, service in the Church and charity.

My good works come from receiving the Holy Spirit.....I do everything to Glorify God and forever grateful for his mercy ,kindness and Love.....
To which I owe my life and service to my Lord Jesus...Amen!
Yes, I think the crux of the matter is that we can do nothing to please God or to save ourselves apart from *God's Word.* And that word had to come *through Jesus Christ* in order for us to obtain Eternal Salvation.

• Love
Reactions: Ritajanice