Can sinning can be overcome?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Can sinning can be overcome in this life with the indwelling of the Holy Spirit.

Some Preachers and even theologian do not believe that all sinning can be overcome in this life either with or without the indwelling of the Holy Spirit. Only certain sins can be overcome, thus they leave a 'gap' where sin can continue in our lives.

But people take this to mean that they can keep sinning as there is nothing they can do, or that these 'sins' are not really "hard sins" or "iniquity", but just part of being in a sinful world. Is that correct according to scripture?

Here are some texts on how we choose to heed the desires of our flesh, and for whatever reason, set aside the conviction of the Holy Spirit. "The spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak" Mark 14:38.

James 1:14-15 - But each one is tempted when he is drawn away by his own desires and enticed. Then, when desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin, when it is full-grown, brings forth death.

Galatians 5:17 - For the flesh lusts against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; and these are contrary to one another, so that you do not do the things that you wish.
Can Christians stop sinning? Absolutely. Modern preachers and theologians may say otherwise but when I just read the Scripture...I get "every sin must go".

The power that raised Jesus from the dead is inside us. So yes, sinning can be overcome.

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Can Christians stop sinning? Absolutely. Modern preachers and theologians may say otherwise but when I just read the Scripture...I get "every sin must go".

The power that raised Jesus from the dead is inside us. So yes, sinning can be overcome.
If you notice todays sermons of christains just cant cease from sin
sure sounds way different from paul who told christains TO CEASE FROM SIN .
Today many would have called paul a legalist who aint trusting in Christ . But he and others
always taught to the church to sin not . To even correct and rebuke sin and error within the church .
Do we see what is happening . This other message of judge not and we cant stop from sinning
has only led the church into MORE LEAVEN . Correct doctrine must always be taught .
And the pattern that Christ and the apostel set for the church , MUST ALWAYS BE DONE .
GOD , CHRIST , knows how to keep a church healthy and thriving .
My advice is , WE HEED THOSE words and those reminders . Now lift those hands up dear sister .
FOR ITS LORD PRAISING and thanking TIME .

07-07-07

Nov 18, 2018
Rust Belt
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It boils down to love. If you love God with all of your heart, then you will be diligent with His word to apply it to your life. His word clearly teaches us His holy and righteous ways to follow. We live in a time of Grace through Jesus Christ His blessed Son, so we shouldn't walk around on egg shells in fear of sinning, but in love that leads to obedience to His ways. We should be always abounding in His love, holiness and righteousness until the end.

1 John 2
[3] And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments.
[4] He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.
[5] But whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in him.
[6] He that saith he abideth in him ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked.

Reactions: amigo de christo

thelord's_pearl

May 1, 2021
O`nowhere you have to know
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I've wondered the same question. I believe God doesn't want us to sin willfully without a care which I no longer do but I think there's still sin that God will accept when you're still immature. For example, I have made a white lie to certain things because I didn't want to hurt the person but then I think of answers that can replace those lies and repent. God understands sin of immaturity in fruit and calls on us to confess them. Also, there is the kind of sin that's in your thought, it's just plain bad, it's in our sin nature and you can't seem to change how you think about it. So I'm confused too if anyone can shed a light for me too. Thanks :) I am coming to maturity in fruit because I also want to do much more for God even though I have hindrances now but once the obstacle is gone, it will be done.

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've wondered the same question. I believe God doesn't want us to sin willfully without a care which I no longer do but I think there's still sin that God will accept when you're still immature. For example, I have made a white lie to certain things because I didn't want to hurt the person but then I think of answers that can replace those lies and repent. God understands sin of immaturity in fruit and calls on us to confess them. Also, there is the kind of sin that's in your thought, it's just plain bad, it's in our sin nature and you can't seem to change how you think about it. So I'm confused too if anyone can shed a light for me too. Thanks :) I am coming to maturity in fruit because I also want to do much more for God even though I have hindrances now but once the obstacle is gone, it will be done.
There are two types of sin in both the Old Testament and the New Testament.

Old Testament; Numbers 15:22-29 a sacrificed covered the sins NOT unto death that were committed unintentionally. In the New Testament in 1 John 5:16-17 those would be sins not unto death - immature fruit of the Spirit. This passage also refers to the sin unto death - what a Catholic would call a mortal sin. They call the sins NOT unto death venial sins.

But the first thing Jesus came to take out of our sin nature is SIN UNTO DEATH - Lawlessness, cleansing our nature to no longer be a sin nature but a clean nature to partake of the divine nature of God. That corresponds with the Old Testament Numbers 15:30-36 where a guy broke one of the Ten Commandments and they stoned him to death. Jesus takes the major sins out of our nature to bring us from death to eternal life and making us not only born again but sinless. That is not sinless perfection as you heard so ignorantly on the forums. Perfection comes next and is a process. 2 Peter 1:5-7 shows all the levels of obedience in the fruit of the Spirit to be perfect. Therefore when all of the fruit of the Spirit are mature, you are not only sinless, but now perfect. And yes, Paul did finally finished those levels of maturity and finished the race. IOW became perfect.

Reactions: thelord's_pearl

Keturah

Dec 19, 2022
Here
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
i sure hope you dont mean THIS . If i went out tonight and fornicated , God wont see that nor hold me accountable .
The early church , THROUGH the POWER of GOD had men and women delivered unto destruction for said sin .
SO as they would repent of it . JESUS BLOOD does not give me power to sin nor excuse to do so .
It does something and did something entirely different . IT TURNED ME FROM MY SIN and my LOVE OF MY SIN
putting a new heart in me that hates the sin and loves the good .
Love it !
heart-493_256.gif

Keturah

Dec 19, 2022
Here
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So now you are saying that Job sinned, but it was just not yet imputed? :rolleyes: Just admit that mankind (regardless of which dispensation they lived in) are not sinless, 100% of the time.
Lol....... back peddling swim Olympians!

Reactions: mailmandan

sheariah07

Feb 2, 2023
Valenzuela
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
Hello! In the Old Testament times, the Israelites were never able to completely obey and fulfill the whole law because of the flesh and the flesh being under the bondage of sin.

So we see the problem is they were in the flesh and the flesh is weak and can never obey what the law requires because the law is holy. It's just impossible to obey. That's why they need to constantly offer sacrifices for their sins everyday because it's really expected that they will keep on sinning because they're in the flesh. The way to the holiest is still veiled. That means there's a way to obey and fulfill the law but it was not yet revealed during their times. So they cannot enter the holiest place.

Romans 7:13-14 KJV
Was then that which is good made death unto me? God forbid. But sin, that it might appear sin, working death in me by that which is good; that sin by the commandment might become exceeding sinful. [14] For we know that the law is spiritual: but I am carnal, sold under sin.

1 Corinthians 15:56 KJV
The sting of death is sin; and the strength of sin is the law.

The NEW Covenant/Testament

However, it didn't end with just the problem of not being able to obey the law. The problem is the flesh has to be put to death and replaced, so God provided the only possible solution for us to finally be able to obey and fulfill the law by sending his own Son through the likeness of sinful flesh, and on account of sin, condemned sin in the flesh, so that by putting on Jesus Christ and us being crucified with him, we could finally fulfill the law. We die in the flesh through the Spirit so that Jesus might live and his righteousness, not only be imputed but also manifest in us.

Romans 8:3-4 ESV
For God has done what the law, weakened by the flesh, could not do. By sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh and for sin, he condemned sin in the flesh, [4] in order that the righteous requirement of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not according to the flesh but according to the Spirit.

So finally, the veil was completely torn, opening to us the way to the holiest so that we could finally obey the commandments (loving God and our neighbors by not causing anyone to stumble) by putting on Christ.

Hebrews 10:18-22 ESV
Where there is forgiveness of these, there is no longer any offering for sin. (because of not committing the same sins over and over again anymore.)

[19] Therefore, brothers, since we have confidence to enter the holy places by the blood of Jesus, [20] by the new and living way that he opened for us through the curtain, that is, through his flesh, [21] and since we have a great priest over the house of God, [22] let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, with our hearts sprinkled clean from an evil conscience and our bodies washed with pure water.

Therefore now, we can certainly stop committing sins, not through the flesh (our own efforts not to sin) but through the Spirit of God, by faith in Jesus Christ (believing that he can save you from sins, even the act of committing them over and over again).

That's why the Law is called our schoolmaster. Whenever we try to obey God, we learn that we just keep failing and committing the same sins over and over again (like you're in bondage and cannot be free from committing it) because we use our flesh, which is weak and can never obey God. This is what Jesus meant when he said "With men, it is impossible..."

Galatians 3:24 KJV
Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster (teaching us that we can never obey God by our own willpower and strength) to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.

"...But with God, all things are possible." (including being free from committing wilful sins and doing it over and over again, which includes lying, anger, strife, lust, and such like)

Romans 8:13-14 KJV
For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live. [14] For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.

This is the new covenant of God: See how only God does the work in his new covenant, we only have to believe he will do it and that it's not impossible to finally stop committing sins.

Ezekiel 36:25-29 KJV
Then will I sprinkle clean water upon you, and ye shall be clean: from all your filthiness, and from all your idols, will I cleanse you. [26] A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh. [27] And I will put my spirit within you, and CAUSE you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do them. [28] And ye shall dwell in the land that I gave to your fathers; and ye shall be my people, and I will be your God. [29] I will also save you from ALL your uncleannesses: and I will call for the corn, and will increase it, and lay no famine upon you.

So God's new covenant is not just forgiveness but also causing us not to commit sins anymore and so enabling us to finally obey him completely. Those who believe this will never be ashamed.

Galatians 2:20 KJV
I am crucified with Christ: (the flesh that sins and disobeys rendered powerless) nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: (Christ doing the works of God through his righteousness, who is sinless, not only imputed but literally at work) and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, (through faith that he is able to save from sins) who loved me, and gave himself for me.

thelord's_pearl

May 1, 2021
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
There are two types of sin in both the Old Testament and the New Testament.

Old Testament; Numbers 15:22-29 a sacrificed covered the sins NOT unto death that were committed unintentionally. In the New Testament in 1 John 5:16-17 those would be sins not unto death - immature fruit of the Spirit. This passage also refers to the sin unto death - what a Catholic would call a mortal sin. They call the sins NOT unto death venial sins.

But the first thing Jesus came to take out of our sin nature is SIN UNTO DEATH - Lawlessness, cleansing our nature to no longer be a sin nature but a clean nature to partake of the divine nature of God. That corresponds with the Old Testament Numbers 15:30-36 where a guy broke one of the Ten Commandments and they stoned him to death. Jesus takes the major sins out of our nature to bring us from death to eternal life and making us not only born again but sinless. That is not sinless perfection as you heard so ignorantly on the forums. Perfection comes next and is a process. 2 Peter 1:5-7 shows all the levels of obedience in the fruit of the Spirit to be perfect. Therefore when all of the fruit of the Spirit are mature, you are not only sinless, but now perfect. And yes, Paul did finally finished those levels of maturity and finished the race. IOW became perfect.
So just for clarification, what does sin unto death- lawlessness, comprise of? Thank you 1stCenturyLady!:) this is also in line with the OP's question.
Thank you sheariah07 :)

Reactions: sheariah07

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So just for clarification, what does sin unto death- lawlessness, comprise of? Thank you 1stCenturyLady!:) this is also in line with the OP's question.
Thank you sheariah07 :)
It is a willful sin that is known, like a commandment of God. LAW. Therefore, lawlessness. In the Old Testament they stoned them to death for committing certain sins. Murder, adultery, picking up sticks on the Sabbath day Numbers 15:30-36,

That is the category of sins that Jesus takes away out of our nature when He cleanses it taking us from death to life. It is also why those who are born again with a clean nature free from sins unto death do not commit those sins. 1 John 3:9 The adding of "practice" by man is ridiculous. We do not murder even once! In Greek it is not praseo, but pasio!

There are sins not unto death also. Catholics call them "venial" sins. 1 John 5:16-17 mentions both. This is where the Old Covenant is helpful because it describes things. It is our schoolmaster.

thelord's_pearl

May 1, 2021
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
It is a willful sin that is known, like a commandment of God. LAW. Therefore, lawlessness. In the Old Testament they stoned them to death for committing certain sins. Murder, adultery, picking up sticks on the Sabbath day Numbers 15:30-36,

That is the category of sins that Jesus takes away out of our nature when He cleanses it taking us from death to life. It is also why those who are born again with a clean nature free from sins unto death do not commit those sins. 1 John 3:9 The adding of "practice" by man is ridiculous. We do not murder even once! In Greek it is not praseo, but pasio!

There are sins not unto death also. Catholics call them "venial" sins. 1 John 5:16-17 mentions both. This is where the Old Covenant is helpful because it describes things. It is our schoolmaster.
So do you believe that sins NOT unto death can't be changed or that certain ones can't be changed until we get to heaven? :)

07-07-07

Nov 18, 2018
Rust Belt
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I agree, but watch your wording. There is a false doctrine out there that says "God does not see our sin anymore because it is covered by the blood of Jesus WHILE WE COMMIT THEM.

YIKES!
You are absolutely right. Willful sin is not acceptable to God, and Salvation is lost if we do that. It can, however, be recaptured through sorrowful repentance, which means we are determined not to commit willful sin again.

Reactions: 1stCenturyLady

thelord's_pearl

May 1, 2021
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
@1stCenturyLady
So do you believe that sins NOT unto death can't be changed or that certain ones can't be changed until we get to heaven? :)
Or do you believe that the process of maturity in fruit of the Spirit will be made perfect in this life on Earth and everything including our sin in thought will be overcome, including different questions someone might ask you and you "always" know a good answer so to not hurt their feelings? Thank you lots.

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@1stCenturyLady

Or do you believe that the process of maturity in fruit of the Spirit will be made perfect in this life on Earth and everything including our sin in thought will be overcome, including different questions someone might ask you and you "always" know a good answer so to not hurt their feelings? Thank you lots.
I believe Jesus, and He wouldn't have said to us, "ye shall be made perfect if it wasn't now. He is the Author and Finisher of our Faith. Note: "finish." Plus Paul, in many of his letters claimed he wasn't yet perfect, but if you read his last letter, I think he was implying he made it!

2 Timothy 4:
6 For I am already being poured out as a drink offering, and the time of my departure is at hand. 7 I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. 8 Finally, there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will give to me on that Day, and not to me only but also to all who have loved His appearing.

Here is a verse I had to give my best friend when politics was getting her down. Now, like me, she doesn't watch the news. LOL I could have used this verse myself because of one of the forum members lying about what I taught. I was even given a warning! Maybe I should put a couple more people on ignore for my own soul's sake.

Philippians 4:
4 Rejoice in the Lord always. Again I will say, rejoice!

5 Let your gentleness be known to all men. The Lord is at hand.

6 Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; 7 and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

8 Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things. 9 The things which you learned and received and heard and saw in me, these do, and the God of peace will be with you.

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I believe Jesus, and He wouldn't have said to us, "ye shall be made perfect if it wasn't now. He is the Author and Finisher of our Faith. Note: "finish." Plus Paul, in many of his letters claimed he wasn't yet perfect, but if you read his last letter, I think he was implying he made it!

2 Timothy 4:
6 For I am already being poured out as a drink offering, and the time of my departure is at hand. 7 I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. 8 Finally, there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will give to me on that Day, and not to me only but also to all who have loved His appearing.

Here is a verse I had to give my best friend when politics was getting her down. Now, like me, she doesn't watch the news. LOL I could have used this verse myself because of one of the forum members lying about what I taught. I was even given a warning! Maybe I should put a couple more people on ignore for my own soul's sake.

Philippians 4:
4 Rejoice in the Lord always. Again I will say, rejoice!

5 Let your gentleness be known to all men. The Lord is at hand.

6 Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; 7 and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

8 Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things. 9 The things which you learned and received and heard and saw in me, these do, and the God of peace will be with you.
Ist, take a look at Hebrews 11:39-40. I think you will find the work of perfection (like Christ) will always be post ressurection.
F2F

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You don't need to keep repenting, if your witness is bold.
Ye only need to repent if you ERR . That sounds much better .
As far as BOLD witness , muslims have it , even transgeners and gays produce a bold witness .
ITS JUST ITS NOT OF GOD OR FOR GOD . Lets restructure what ya said .
YOU dont need to repent if you are doing that which is RIGHT in the sight of GOD
but if a lamb do err , IT MUST repent . AND our witness is only worth something IF WE HAVE THE WITNESS OF GOD
within us . AND IF have the WITNESS OF GOD , THE SPIRIT OF GOD , ITS GONNA HONOR GOD
ITS GONNA POINT TO CHRIST . ITS GONNA correct all error within the church cause it LOVES THE CHURCH .
JUST LIKE GOD corrects and chastens those HE LOVES , SO TOO do those seasoned men who have the SPIRIT
correct those WHOM THEY LOVE . TIME TO REBUKE AND CORRECT ALL ERROR and all sin within the church .
JESUS DIDNT OVERLOOK ERRORS , so why do we
PAUL and others didnt overlook errors within the church , SO WHY DO WE .
DO WE SEE THE PROBLEM YET with THE SEEKER FRIENDLY LIE .

Reactions: Marvelloustime