Can sinning can be overcome?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ist, take a look at Hebrews 11:39-40. I think you will find the work of perfection (like Christ) will always be post ressurection.
F2F
Christ has been resurrected. He is the right hand of God. And the verses refer to people written about in the Old Testament.

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Christ has been resurrected. He is the right hand of God. And the verses refer to people written about in the Old Testament.
I'm not wanting to play games Jim, but the verse speaks to both the dead and the living, both past, present and future.
F2F

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm not wanting to play games Jim, but the verse speaks to both the dead and the living, both past, present and future.
F2F
Abel, Enoch, Noah, Abraham, Moses, Rahab, Gideon, Barak, Samson, Jephthah, of David and Samuel and the [OT] prophets and "others" are all OT figures. Hebrews 11:39-40 says "Yet all these, though they were commended for their faith, did not receive what was promised, since God had provided something better so that they would not, apart from us, be made perfect."

Even though we are mentioned, the chapter is clearly about OT people who died without receiving the promise given to us.

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Abel, Enoch, Noah, Abraham, Moses, Rahab, Gideon, Barak, Samson, Jephthah, of David and Samuel and the [OT] prophets and "others" are all OT figures. Hebrews 11:39-40 says "Yet all these, though they were commended for their faith, did not receive what was promised, since God had provided something better so that they would not, apart from us, be made perfect."
I underlined with red the emphasis Paul is making - he is saying these have not received what was promised - i.e the promises made to the fathers which can only be enjoyed by receiving eternal life. They remain dead awaiting the resurrection along with all those who have been called of the Gentiles - only together will they all be made perfect.

Even though we are mentioned, the chapter is clearly about OT people who died without receiving the promise given to us.
Jim, the purpose of Hebrews 11 is to show those who suffered through faith, however without reward!

You correctly state Christ, has be raised having been "made" perfect through suffering.

For it was fitting that he, for whom and by whom all things exist, in bringing many sons to glory, should make the founder of their salvation perfect through suffering. Hebrews 2:10

Basically Paul is saying the Gentiles must go through that same witnessing of faith as those in Hebrews 11 however ALL of us will be made perfect together at a future time (resurrection) in the same manner as Christ in his resurrection.

F2F

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I underlined with red the emphasis Paul is making - he is saying these have not received what was promised - i.e the promises made to the fathers which can only be enjoyed by receiving eternal life. They remain dead awaiting the resurrection along with all those who have been called of the Gentiles - only together will they all be made perfect.

Jim, the purpose of Hebrews 11 is to show those who suffered through faith, however without reward!

You correctly state Christ, has be raised having been "made" perfect through suffering.

For it was fitting that he, for whom and by whom all things exist, in bringing many sons to glory, should make the founder of their salvation perfect through suffering. Hebrews 2:10

Basically Paul is saying the Gentiles must go through that same witnessing of faith as those in Hebrews 11 however ALL of us will be made perfect together at a future time (resurrection) in the same manner as Christ in his resurrection.

F2F
I agree. However, there is no proof that Paul wrote Hebrews.

07-07-07

Nov 18, 2018
Rust Belt
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Romans 6 teaches us that the grace of God does not lead us into sinning, rather victory over sin.

Romans 6
[1] What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound?
[2] God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein?
[3] Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?

Gottservant

Oct 19, 2022
Greensborough
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Again, you don't need to keep repenting, if your witness is bold.

God builds people of 'courage', out of people that keep their meekness ("blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the Earth").

It's not about greater and greater perfection, and greater and greater repentance, that's the wrong model: Jesus wants us to keep our meekness more or less, and witness courageously when we can (I'm learning that myself, right here!).

Reactions: marks

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

God builds people of 'courage', out of people that keep their meekness ("blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the Earth").

It's not about greater and greater perfection, and greater and greater repentance, that's the wrong model: Jesus wants us to keep our meekness more or less, and witness courageously when we can (I'm learning that myself, right here!).
The thing is, what are you repenting of, the sin or just the consequences.

Matthew 27:3
Then Judas, which had betrayed him, when he saw that he was condemned, repented himself, and brought again the thirty pieces of silver to the chief priests and elders,

It makes a difference..

Reactions: Gottservant

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
Can sinning can be overcome in this life with the indwelling of the Holy Spirit.

Christ is the 2nd Adam who has restored us to God, "under Grace"' "Not under the Law" and freed from the bondage of sin.

The born again person has become joined to Christ and God, Spiritually.

Listen Reader...

You ARE a Spirit
You have a Soul
You live IN a Body.

Your SPIRIT is the real you.... and your soul is your mind, will, emotions.

So, Christ has "redeemed us from the Curse of the Law", and that is 2 Parts.

He has removed..."The Law is the power of sin", and the dominion of the Law has no authority over the born again, because the Born Again are "not under the Law, but under Grace".

"Sinning", is defined by the LAW, so where there is is no Law there is no SIN to be defined by the Law, anymore.

Read : 2nd Corinthinans 5:19 and Romans 4:8 and John 3:17

You'll discover that God does not charge sin to the born again....so, if you are confessing, what God does not charge to you, then you are wasting your time.
And the reason you are doing that, is because you have not understood what i just taught you.

Now why does God not charge sin to the born again ??

1.) "Because GOD hath made JESUS... to be SIN for US"

2.) "Jesus is the ONE TIME.....ETERNAL Sacrifice for SIN".

SEE ABOVE...

Listen carefully.

The born again exist "IN Christ"... "One with God"...."seated in Heavenly Places".. IN the Kingdom of God......."not under the Law, but Under Grace'.

And where is that?
= NO SIN is found there...

So, does this means that you won't have a thought, or have some carnal impulse that is related to being human and in this world, where The Devil and Temptation exists. ??????
Of course that is not going to be the case, HOWEVER.... because we are Joined To Christ who has OVERCOME all this, then so have we, by being Joined to Jesus and God.

When you begin to see yourself as "In Christ", "one with God"... "made RIGHTEOUS">... then that will become your "walking in the Spirit", and you will not "fulfill the deeds of the Flesh".
Your 'sin consciousness' will fade, and disappear.

But you have to get this revelation that im showing you., or this will not become your walk in the Spirit.

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I think this which Christ said, goes with that...
Matthew 19:21
Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me.

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Christians, that is true born again Christians no longer live sinful lives but they can still think, say and do wrong things. But before they were born again they knew no better but now they do, and recognise their sinful actions.
So there is no difference except they recognize their sin...

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So there is no difference except they recognize their sin...
she was simply giving a good example . Sin has become exceeding sinful to a lamb .
Meaning the evil we once loved and could not even see as being evil but rather to us it seemed to just feel good
it seemed natural to us . NOW by the power of the HOLY GHOST which has been given unto those who believe in CHRIST
the evil we once embraced we now hate . the evil we once lived in and for we are now dead too
as we walk in the newness of LIFE . SIN , the sin that is within our flesh , the sin still present within us
HAS BECOME MONSTER TO US . and when it do rise up and bring an evil thought to our mind
we are grieved at that thought and must resist the evil by the power of the SPIRIT which alerts us
THIS IS EVIL , HEED IT NOT . Yet i often wonder just how many truly do have the SPIRIT .
for i see many lipping the name of JESUS CHRIST and yet sure seem to be HONORING and JUSTIFYING and embracing
THE SINFUL LIFESTYLE .
THEY even IDENTIFY WITH SIN . example . GAY CHRISTAIN . why would we ever once
IDENTIFY with ANY SIN and not rather WITH JESUS CHRIST as we fight against the evils of our flesh .
I SEE way too many rainbows getting put up in churches . WE DONT PANDER TOO or IDENTIFY WITH SIN
to win anyone . WE OUGHT simply be preaching JESUS CHRIST and exhorting all who do enter the church
WITH SOUND BIBLICAL DOCTRINE which does convict those in error . JUST SAYING .

Reactions: Marvelloustime

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Thing is ravi zacharias had a bold 'witness', but what good does it do if you continue in sin. You have to repent and overcome no matter how temptation makes you stumble.

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

No, we havent received the promise of eternal life either, that is the promise...

Writer

Jan 18, 2024
Post Falls
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All have sinned and fall short of the Kingdom. ALL. THAT MEANS..."ALL". There is no escaping that and there is no back way into the Kingdom of heaven. There is only one way in, YOU MUST DIE, and then be BORN AGAIN without sin, and then we must walk in the new nature and be tested because faith is the cargo we carry in these vessels, and faith must be tested to determine it's purity.

When we are born again, God says: "I have cast your sins as far as the east is from the west". If you are born again, then claim your promise and don't let false teachings, false teachers and false doctrines rob you of who you are in Christ Jesus, put on the Full Armor of God and rebuke it.