Can You Discern Between Your Wants And Your Needs?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TallMan

Jul 20, 2007
By needs I mean what you must have to fulfil God's calling.

What would you say these things are?

Samuel Pickens

Feb 10, 2010
USA

Foxes have holes, birds have nests; but, Jesus did not have a place or ........................ When you go take no script, one staff, one coat

And Jesus said unto him; sell what you have and distribute it to the poor and have treasures in Heaven.

Put on the whole armour of God. Study to show yourself approved. You need Christ in your life and desire to serve God.

My sheep hear my voice and I know them and they follow me and I give unto them eternal life and they shall never perish.

What is this thing that God would have you do? Scripturally sound; do it.

fivesense

Mar 7, 2010
WI
Hi, I guess I would lay a lot of stock in what Paul says here in Romans 12:

YLT Ro 12:1,2 I call upon you, therefore, brethren, through the compassions of God, to present your bodies a sacrifice-living, sanctified, acceptable to God-your intelligent service; and be not conformed to this age, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, for your proving what is the will of God-the good, and acceptable, and perfect.

Coming to grips with what is soulish, carnal desires, even those masquerading as "spiritual", and using the ability to think and mentally process what God is doing in the whole of humanity, i,e, .."that God may be the All in all."(YLT 1C 15:28), helps to see how things may or may not be of God. Paul says, of the power of grace, that all things are lawful, but not expedient towards that end. He is faithful to excercise us in the personal matters that will affect our reigning with Him in the future, equipping us here and now through our struggles and trials. Nothing is inconsequential, even the most trivial of matters. All our affairs are ordained of God and work together for good, whether the fruit is to His immediate glory, or for our discipline.
If it is merely personal fulfillment that is on the menu, it won't be long before the Spirit of God no longer has the power to provoke us to good works, either in service or personal holiness. We will notice the absense of His guidance, and hopefully that will drive us to our knees to put off the old man and get back to building on His sure foundation- the new humanity!

"so that if any one is in Christ-he is a new creature; the old things did pass away, lo, become new have the all things". YLT 2C 5:17

Does He know our needs, and will He provide? Yes, He does and will. So we can disregard much that bothers us, and focus on the worship and adoration due Him alone. For freedom, Christ frees us.

Is my need or want somehow glorifying God in His goal to become All in all? If not, He may be getting at something in our hearts that the enemy is claiming for himself. It applies as well in our attitude towards others, does what I am doing facilitate God's plan for their lives too? This, to me, is a good yardstick of those things which appear as needs and are manifesting.

fivesense

pastorlesofm

Community Guide
Jun 28, 2008
Central New York State
I just want to share a testimony relating to this topic: Quite awhile back, the Lord called me to a dear sister in Christ who had an apartment building on the Upperside of Manhatten. She had opened it up to a program for rehabilitated homeless persons and those with mental impairments. Knowing my ministry to the homeless of New York, asked me if I would like to help her out by giving spiritual guidance to the residents, in exchange she would give me a rent free apartment. Well I was sort of free at the moment, so I agreed to her request after praying about it. Well an apartment I got, unfurnished ,with a refridge and a stove. No electric,etc. Well the first night there before retiring for the evening , as always opened my Bible to read by street light siting on a radiator by the window. I said" Lord is this what You have before me? Is this how I'm to live? Just complaining and complaining. Then the Spirit of the Lord dealt with my spirit, "Oh ye of little faith" "give God thanks". Well with that I said unto the Lord "You know Lord, if You wanted me to have more I would have more, but if You wanted me to have less I would have less." "Lord, thank You for being You and who You are in my life". The day after it was lights, furniture, action. Bible studies and pastoral counseling in that apartment, etc. Faith in Him and trusting the path He has for our lives, and everything else, all our needs met. Remember He knows what we will need in the path He has for us. Confusion and needs comes when we get off the path and go on our own path. This is a great! topic. Love You all in Jesus Name

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
I just want to share a testimony relating to this topic: Quite awhile back, the Lord called me to a dear sister in Christ who had an apartment building on the Upperside of Manhatten. She had opened it up to a program for rehabilitated homeless persons and those with mental impairments. Knowing my ministry to the homeless of New York, asked me if I would like to help her out by giving spiritual guidance to the residents, in exchange she would give me a rent free apartment. Well I was sort of free at the moment, so I agreed to her request after praying about it. Well an apartment I got, unfurnished ,with a refridge and a stove. No electric,etc. Well the first night there before retiring for the evening , as always opened my Bible to read by street light siting on a radiator by the window. I said" Lord is this what You have before me? Is this how I'm to live? Just complaining and complaining. Then the Spirit of the Lord dealt with my spirit, "Oh ye of little faith" "give God thanks". Well with that I said unto the Lord "You know Lord, if You wanted me to have more I would have more, but if You wanted me to have less I would have less." "Lord, thank You for being You and who You are in my life". The day after it was lights, furniture, action. Bible studies and pastoral counseling in that apartment, etc. Faith in Him and trusting the path He has for our lives, and everything else, all our needs met. Remember He knows what we will need in the path He has for us. Confusion and needs comes when we get off the path and go on our own path. This is a great! topic. Love You all in Jesus Name

Sounds like a very rewarding ministry.

Brother Mike

Sep 16, 2008
I don't see our father getting hung up on Rolex's and the best of cars. I mean our father lives in a place where the streets are made of Gold. If I have a car, It should be nice.

Having things that would distract you from the things of God, would on the other hand not be good at all.

God can give you a 10,000 dollar bass tracker (Cheap compared to some) It is needed for fishing, skipping Church to use it.......... Not good.

Jesus Is Lord.

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
I don't see our father getting hung up on Rolex's and the best of cars. I mean our father lives in a place where the streets are made of Gold. If I have a car, It should be nice.

Having things that would distract you from the things of God, would on the other hand not be good at all.

God can give you a 10,000 dollar bass tracker (Cheap compared to some) It is needed for fishing, skipping Church to use it.......... Not good.

Jesus Is Lord.

What makes you think God gives a flip about anyone skipping "church"
biggrin.gif

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

My need is to control my mind/ thoughts.
My need is to be open at all times to His Love.
My need is to distinguish between the Lord's direction and my ego's.
My need is to step on my ego like a bug.
My need is to distinguish between selfish desires and ones that are from God.
My need is to merge my liitle self with the Divine Self.
My need is to prepare for "death" the deathless death - in other words, the afterlife.
My need is to have the Holy Spirit continue to spiral me up closer to God.
My need is to ceaselessly be talking to God every moment in my head.
My need is to listen in meditation every day - being still for Him.
My need is to delight in Him.
My need is to please Him by being open to receive His blessings.
My need is to share all I've learned and realized by His Grace to anyone who will listen.
My need is to be patient with those that don't want to listen and actually argue and doubt.
My need is to let others live in peace whatever place they are on The Path.
My need is to learn and understand and know the Lord.
My need is to understand Spiritual Laws more fully, demonstrating them with signs and wonders.
My need is to see the miracles all around me as my Lord loves me in all ways.

But, now I must do some business so have to go for now. Good question, Tallman. Thank you.
:) Miss Hepburn

Brother Mike

Sep 16, 2008
Jiggyfly:
What makes you think God gives a flip about anyone skipping "church"

Surly you would not skip Church just to use your new bass tracker with all the fixing? Not with a name like Jiggyfly. Surely not.

Then again, we don't know what God does with his Sunday mornings. I am sure his Bass tracker is a lot nicer though.

Jesus Is Lord