Can you overcome depression using the Bible?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Chris Tucker

Apr 16, 2021
Chattanooga
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What does the Bible say about the subject of overcoming depression?

What are your thoughts? I know Elijah suffered depression, so it is pretty clear that followers can be in pain. How we overcome that suffering is what I am seeking in this discussion.

How has Jesus helped you overcome your weaknesses?

Praise God and all glory to Him.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

What are your thoughts? I know Elijah suffered depression, so it is pretty clear that followers can be in pain. How we overcome that suffering is what I am seeking in this discussion.

Hi Chris,

I have major depression, and there are many ways God has helped me.

The one simple answer, though in application not so simple, is to know that God loves you beyond all your imagination, and that He is right there with you, committed to your wellbeing.

Jeremiah seems to have been a depressed man.

Jeremiah 20:5-18 KJV
5) Moreover I will deliver all the strength of this city, and all the labours thereof, and all the precious things thereof, and all the treasures of the kings of Judah will I give into the hand of their enemies, which shall spoil them, and take them, and carry them to Babylon.
6) And thou, Pashur, and all that dwell in thine house shall go into captivity: and thou shalt come to Babylon, and there thou shalt die, and shalt be buried there, thou, and all thy friends, to whom thou hast prophesied lies.

7) O LORD, thou hast deceived me, and I was deceived: thou art stronger than I, and hast prevailed: I am in derision daily, every one mocketh me.
8) For since I spake, I cried out, I cried violence and spoil; because the word of the LORD was made a reproach unto me, and a derision, daily.
9) Then I said, I will not make mention of him, nor speak any more in his name. But his word was in mine heart as a burning fire shut up in my bones, and I was weary with forbearing, and I could not stay.
10) For I heard the defaming of many, fear on every side. Report, say they, and we will report it. All my familiars watched for my halting, saying, Peradventure he will be enticed, and we shall prevail against him, and we shall take our revenge on him.

11) But the LORD is with me as a mighty terrible one: therefore my persecutors shall stumble, and they shall not prevail: they shall be greatly ashamed; for they shall not prosper: their everlasting confusion shall never be forgotten.
12) But, O LORD of hosts, that triest the righteous, and seest the reins and the heart, let me see thy vengeance on them: for unto thee have I opened my cause.

13) Sing unto the LORD, praise ye the LORD: for he hath delivered the soul of the poor from the hand of evildoers.
14) Cursed be the day wherein I was born: let not the day wherein my mother bare me be blessed.
15) Cursed be the man who brought tidings to my father, saying, A man child is born unto thee; making him very glad.
16) And let that man be as the cities which the LORD overthrew, and repented not: and let him hear the cry in the morning, and the shouting at noontide;
17) Because he slew me not from the womb; or that my mother might have been my grave, and her womb to be always great with me.
18) Wherefore came I forth out of the womb to see labour and sorrow, that my days should be consumed with shame?

Jeremiah prophesied like he had been, of the coming captivity, and now, prophesies how God will deal with Pashur, who was so much against Jeremiah.

Then Jeremiah turns on God. You deceived me! You've made a mockery of me! I spoke Your Word, and everyone ridicules me! So I'm done!

But I can't hold it back, I HAVE to speak Your Word!

And they all turn against me! They hate me, they accuse me, they try anything to trip me up, anything to take me down!

But the Lord is with me like a mighty terrible one . . . no one can stand against Him, He takes them all down! Sing, He delivers me! But cursed be the day I was born!

I wish I had died in the womb! Just leave me there dead, that would have been better than this! There's no end. If I shut up, I HAVE to speak. When I speak, everyone is my enemy. But they'll never prevail against me, God will make sure of that! It's not going to stop! I have to prophesy, I prophesy and they hate me, attack me, abuse me, God delivers me, and it starts all over again! I wish I were never even born!

I've wished for death, knowing God alone controls our living and dying, but would have prefered to be dead.

Are you looking for information? Are you looking for help?

Much love!

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Is this going to become a "you don't need meds... you only need Jesus" type of thread??? I feel the condemnation coming...

Reactions: Pearl

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I truly am sorry for and I pray for the chronically depressed and all of the mental and emotional issues that people have.
I know little about it. I have watched as the terms migrated along. Back in the day, a lot of it was called chemical imbalances.
Very few children had it. That is not true now a days.
I hope that the advise given to pray to God about these issues...help. But only the people that suffer with these issues know that.
It comes in many forms...those with fibromyalgia, many times are prescribed depression medication. As of yet most of the depression medication is not that effective.

As Christians we should be concerned with the suffering....Praying is a good thing! But as James was alluding to, blessing and praying is not going to cloth the naked or feed the hungry.

So I am asking and I know it will take a certain amount of courage and openness....What can we do to help? Your family, your friends, your church congregation? To some degree it seem like a mental latch that is set to sad and depressed. It does not matter if they are rich, healthy, and loved...they are on the road and the road is called depression. But still I am asking, is there something that people can do for the depressed?

Last edited:
Reactions: Chris Tucker

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I suffered from anxiety and depression for years. I overcame it with the Holy Spirit of Peace thru serving God and his children. Service brings us out of our depressing thoughts and feelings.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
We can examine the incident of Elijah and his depression to see what the Bible has to say (indirectly) about depression:

1 KINGS 19: ELIJAH WANTED TO DIE BUT GOD RAISED HIM UP
1 And Ahab told Jezebel all that Elijah had done, and withal how he had slain all the prophets with the sword.
2 Then Jezebel sent a messenger unto Elijah, saying, So let the gods do
to me, and more also, if I make not thy life as the life of one of them by to morrow about this time.
3 And when he saw
that, he arose, and went for his life, and came to Beersheba, which belongeth to Judah, and left his servant there.
4 But he himself went a day's journey into the wilderness, and came and sat down under a juniper tree: and he requested for himself that he might die; and said, It is enough; now, O LORD, take away my life; for I
am not better than my fathers.
5 And as he lay and slept under a juniper tree, behold, then an angel touched him, and said unto him, Arise and eat.
6 And he looked, and, behold,
there was a cake baken on the coals, and a cruse of water at his head. And he did eat and drink, and laid him down again.
7 And the angel of the LORD came again the second time, and touched him, and said, Arise
and eat; because the journey is too great for thee.
8 And he arose, and did eat and drink, and went in the strength of that meat forty days and forty nights unto Horeb the mount of God.
9 And he came thither unto a cave, and lodged there; and, behold, the word of the LORD
came to him, and he said unto him, What doest thou here, Elijah?
10 And he said, I have been very jealous for the LORD God of hosts: for the children of Israel have forsaken thy covenant, thrown down thine altars, and slain thy prophets with the sword; and I,
even I only, am left; and they seek my life, to take it away.
11 And he said, Go forth, and stand upon the mount before the LORD. And, behold, the LORD passed by, and a great and strong wind rent the mountains, and brake in pieces the rocks before the LORD;
but the LORD was not in the wind: and after the wind an earthquake; but the LORD was not in the earthquake:
12 And after the earthquake a fire;
but the LORD was not in the fire: and after the fire a still small voice.
13 And it was
so, when Elijah heard it, that he wrapped his face in his mantle, and went out, and stood in the entering in of the cave. And, behold, there came a voice unto him, and said, What doest thou here, Elijah?
14 And he said, I have been very jealous for the LORD God of hosts: because the children of Israel have forsaken thy covenant, thrown down thine altars, and slain thy prophets with the sword; and I,
even I only, am left; and they seek my life, to take it away.
15 And the LORD said unto him, Go, return on thy way to the wilderness of Damascus: and when thou comest, anoint Hazael
to be king over Syria:
16 And Jehu the son of Nimshi shalt thou anoint
to be king over Israel: and Elisha the son of Shaphat of Abelmeholah shalt thou anoint to be prophet in thy room.
17 And it shall come to pass,
that him that escapeth the sword of Hazael shall Jehu slay: and him that escapeth from the sword of Jehu shall Elisha slay.
18 Yet I have left
me seven thousand in Israel, all the knees which have not bowed unto Baal, and every mouth which hath not kissed him.

What lessons do we learn from this?

1. Elijah was human just like all of us. When his life was blatantly threatened by Jezebel, he not only feared for his life, but wanted to die because he could not handle this threat. This was unacceptable to God.

2. God sent an angel to strengthen Elijah. This may not always happen, but God will provide a way of escape from depression (apart from drugs which solve nothing).

3. God then gave Elijah a vision of Himself, and that He was also the still, small voice within every believer. So we are to listen to that still, small voice of the Holy Spirit.

4. Then God gave Elijah some very specific tasks to take his focus off himself and focus on what God's will was for others. We need to get busy in the Lord's business instead of moaning, and groaning, and moping around.

5. Then God reminded Elijah that he was not alone in his situation, but that there were also others who worshipped Him at that time. So we need to seek the fellowship of others.

Depression occurs when we focus solely on ourselves and our problems. But there is always a solution to every problem, and that is where the focus should be. We are not to allow circumstances to overwhelm us, but keep moving forward with God's help.

Reactions: Azim

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Is this going to become a "you don't need meds... you only need Jesus" type of thread??? I feel the condemnation coming...
And why not? If you depend on meds, you have a serious problem.

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Depression occurs when we focus solely on ourselves and our problems. But there is always a solution to every problem, and that is where the focus should be. We are not to allow circumstances to overwhelm us, but keep moving forward with God's help.
This is NOT ONLY FALSE... it is DANGEROUS advice... I sure hope you do NOT counsel the mentally ill.

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
@Enoch111 ... Your ATTITUDE on these forums is APPALLING... YOU act like an EXPERT on ALL matters... Your arrogance is unbeliveable... and how you treat others is inexcusable... I take great OFFENCE at you giving medical advice... There are some here who depend on medication... and to state what you have stated is dangerous... It is now my turn to report you to Admin.

YOU need to learn to SPEAK for yourself.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
You really should not be ALLOWED to post on these forums...
So now you have joined all the censors of free speech have you? Since you have been on this forum only recently you should be the last person to object to anyone posting anything. And if you do not like it here there are other Christian forums which love to block free speech. Go and have fun over there.

We can be thankful that no one is appointing you as censor of this forum. So if you so not like what I say, put me on ignore. The biggest problem today is that free speech is being banned and anything that does not fit into the Leftist and woke narrative is hated.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
YOU act like an EXPERT on ALL matters...
That's because I happen to be an expert on all matters. As I said, you can put me on ignore, and actually that would be wonderful from my perspective. All you do is whine and complain,

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
We can be thankful that no one is appointing you as censor of this forum. So if you so not like what I say, put me on ignore. The biggest problem today is that free speech is being banned and anything that does not fit into the Leftist and woke narrative is hated.
Enoch.... Your attitude is appalling.... but THIS.... is DANGEROUS... you are NOT a doctor.

Reactions: marks

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't get the idea that you understand about "major" or "clinical" depression. This isn't about just feeling sad or discouraged. It's about mal-formed parts of the brain, which alter the chemical balance, processing ability, memory storage and retrieval, which parts do which tasks, how the two hemispheres "talk" to each other.

This is not about just being overly focused on self.

Much love!

Reactions: Azim and dev553344

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Since you have been on this forum only recently you should be the last person to object to anyone posting anything.
Everyone here has the same rights as everyone else, at least the last I looked.

I personally find advising someone with a mental illness who is taking medication for it to stop their medication to be ignorant and irresponsible.

Much love!

Reactions: dev553344

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It saddens me how this thread has gone. Getting back to the OP, Can you overcome depression using the Bible?; I am always mindful that "can" is about potential. Some people play the ALL v SOME game in derailing the question at the get go.

I, for one, am not interested in those conditions where Cannot applies. And this is not just about the Bible and depression. I realize there are some headaches and pains that aspirin will not help with. I want to know the proper application of the topic under discussion. Can you overcome depression using the Bible? It's a yes or no question. (I hope the answer is yes).

I know the Bible 'can' be used to CAUSE depression. John 6:66 always gets to me and other verses convict me. But there are optimistic folks who point out how they snuck a peek at the back of the book and WE WIN. Ultimate victory has already been won! That should cause us to be confident and optimistic; knowing we are on the winning side.

Have a Blessed Day.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Can you overcome depression using the Bible?
No. The Bible is a Book. You need the Author.

The Bible can be a tool to lead us out of depression to the extent that it will lead us to the Father.

Much love!

Edit to add . . . Post 22 . . . If we are God's children, then God uses His Book.

Last edited:

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It saddens me how this thread has gone. Getting back to the OP, Can you overcome depression using the Bible?; I am always mindful that "can" is about potential. Some people play the ALL v SOME game in derailing the question at the get go.

I, for one, am not interested in those conditions where Cannot applies. And this is not just about the Bible and depression. I realize there are some headaches and pains that aspirin will not help with. I want to know the proper application of the topic under discussion. Can you overcome depression using the Bible? It's a yes or no question. (I hope the answer is yes).

I know the Bible 'can' be used to CAUSE depression. John 6:66 always gets to me and other verses convict me. But there are optimistic folks who point out how they snuck a peek at the back of the book and WE WIN. Ultimate victory has already been won! That should cause us to be confident and optimistic; knowing we are on the winning side.

Have a Blessed Day.

Some has responded with positive affirmation of God's healing powers.
The reading of the Bible has it own power...of course that comes from God.
If we can be there for somebody of course we should be happy to do that.

Reactions: dev553344