Canadian pastor faces legal reprecussions because of hate crimes laws

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

jamesrage

Apr 30, 2007
http://www.onenewsnow.com/2007/07/canadian...es_legal_re.php
A Canadian pastor is facing a hearing before the Alberta Human Rights and Citizenship Commission over a letter he wrote to a newspaper condemning homosexuality. Some accuse the pastor's letter of influencing the assault days later of a homosexual teenager.The letter was written five years ago in an Alberta newspaper by Minister Stephen Boissoin. Two weeks after the letter was published, a 17-year-old homosexual youth was beaten. A complaint was filed against the minister, and the commission is hearing the case this week.Mat Staver is founder of Orlando-based Liberty Counsel. He contends Canada is treading on the minister's free speech. "What we see happening in Canada, is a person's free speech -- speech on the matter of homosexuality, which says that homosexuality is wrong and which speaks of the homosexual agenda -- is now being punished in a court of law and the person is being put on trial solely for what the individual spoke."Staver also warns that the case is an example of what could happen in the United States if hate crimes legislation is passed.

tim_from_pa

Jul 11, 2007
Yes, I can see that happening.Of course if the homosexual community wants to speak against Christendom, or redefine the bible to fit their notions, that is OK I suppose. Free speech is only one way to some people and in fact those that call others bigoted I found to be the epitome of bigotry themselves.If you ever want to get my anger engines rolling, just quote the "catch phrases" these days that the liberal powers have their followers mindlessly parroting..... phrases like "zero tolerance", "hate crime" (I never seen a crime committed in love BTW) "Homophobia" and other such illogical phrases or words.

KarlaElisa

Jul 23, 2007
The 'hate crime' was committed by the people who beat the youth. I fail to see why Canada would jump on this.Truly there seems to be little common sense being applied anywhere in the world today, if there ever was.On the topic of homosexuality I just don't spend much time worrying about it. I have many gay friends that are kind, decent people. I don't know how homosexuality came to be THE sin of the Bible. Assuredly it is mentioned, but it seems to be in the context of LUST. And there is plenty of lust going around in heterosexual relationships. Gays don't have a corner on that market. And there are MANY other sins but this one gets top billing. I wish someone could tell me why.

nike

Jul 20, 2007
KarlaElisa thank you for your sensitive and poignant responce. I also have many gay friends that are kind and decent people. I agree with you it is mentioned in the context of lust; and in my studies I have found the Hebrew wording translates to the surrounding idolatrous religions. By granting sexual favors to the high priest one would be guaranteed an abundance of children and crops (a fertility rite), devoting any of their offspring to the god "molech". Real evil...child molesters, abductors, rapists, murderers, anyone conducting or condoning dog fighting, anyone that would set an animal on fire. This list could go on. Hugs to you KarlaElisa

tim_from_pa

Jul 11, 2007
My stance on all this originally was regarding freedom of speech and rights. It bothers me when one group tries to silence another group, and ironically I perceive that the so-called "oppressed" group is the one doing the censoring. That is not oppressed, but on the offensive. I personally don't give a you-know-what if a person wants to practice that in their own personal life. It's their choice. I hate it when people prejudge me into thinking that I am trying to invade their lives by pounding them on the heads with scripture so that they try to silence me if I do say something. That's reverse discrimination.I know that the bible does not condone homosexuality---- I studied it and nobody can tell me otherwise, but I am not going to get caught up in debating this topic which is what new posters did on the other Christian forum trying to upset the community in spite of the rules.There is too much superstition, "issue" religion, and other occult going on in this world that the bible warns about.I came to this forum to talk about deeper stuff, such as the Lost Tribes of Israel, God's purpose in everything, and other subjects such as God's Word in the Great Pyramid, God's Word in the stars in the zodiac, and angelogogy/demonology. This is much bigger and in depth (and scriptural) than the insignificant issues that people take their time with. Some people can only dabble with arithmetic. I like to talk calculus.