Caring for Elderly

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
A couple years ago my sisters 72 year old father-in-law moved in with them after his wife died,he had a pretty sharp mind but had difficulty getting around. Keeping him entertained became one of their biggest problems to overcome since he was not capable physicaly of enjoying the activities they enjoyed.So last year they bought him a computer even though at times we thought he would drive us all crazy with love and patience we managed to teach him the very basics of the internet.He now belongs to a senior forum,loves shopping on ebay and plays internet checkers.I am telling this story because I know alot of people are in the same boat as my sister was, and may not think that their eldery realitives or friends could understand computers.Well they may not understand how they work but they can still enjoy the many benifits they can provide.Last week I taught my 82 year old neighbor lady to use it.So if you have some time and patience you mightgive it a try.

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We actually did something similar for my grandparents. The age comes when you reach that point where you cannot do many of the physical things (though I am blessed on this side of my family). My grandfather is now in his mid 80s and he still works in the garden and all.We got them a computer, and it takes a while to teach them, but they do like it. Now they want to get the internet - especially my grandmother who wants to check out this whole ebay thing.
wink.gif
This is a prime example of the good side of technology IMHO.

gibby

Apr 4, 2006
I think it's great to hear people taking care of their elders. In our me-centered culture here in the U.S., the elderly are viewed down upon sometimes as extra baggage. Many cultures in the world, China for example, hold the elderly as highly respected and revered. They go great lengths to make sure their elders are taken care of and the family is very important and tightly held together.

Thunder1

Dec 12, 2007
I teach self-defence even for elderly women and they love it. They are inspiration to me.