Catholic Preist Sings Song About Lucifer

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert Pate

Aug 6, 2023
Washington
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have been pondering for days whether or not I should put this on the Forum. I cannot get it off of my mind, so here it is. Google "Catholic priest sings song about Lucifer" and see for yourself. I didn't think much about the song, but when he said that "Jesus was the son of Lucifer" that did it for me. I knew then that I was going to have to say something about this. First there was the Chrislam thing and now the Lucifer song. Maybe there are some Catholics that will come out of Catholicism as the results of the Lucifer song.

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Can you provide a link ,plz to said Catholic singing song?

Reactions: Nancy

Mink57

Aug 4, 2020
Las Vegas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have been pondering for days whether or not I should put this on the Forum. I cannot get it off of my mind, so here it is. Google "Catholic priest sings song about Lucifer" and see for yourself. I didn't think much about the song, but when he said that "Jesus was the son of Lucifer" that did it for me. I knew then that I was going to have to say something about this. First there was the Chrislam thing and now the Lucifer song. Maybe there are some Catholics that will come out of Catholicism as the results of the Lucifer song.
Not if they're smart Catholics and do their research on this song.

First of all, the song was originally written in Latin, and started showing up in Latin manuscripts (to be used during certain celebratory Masses, such as Easter) no later that the 7th century.

Secondly, the only part of the song that's being translated from Latin to English is the last part of the song. So, we don't get the whole context unless we have the translation of the song in it's entirety. Since the whole song is about Jesus/God, what went askew?

The translation.

Thirdly, the song is being translated from Latin. Lucifer in Latin, is translated to mean "morning star.' In the original Latin text, it is NOT capitalized. It is not "Lucifer", but "lucifer." It is not a proper noun, nor are the subtitles a proper translation.

Fourth. In scriptures (the Bible), the "morning star" is ALWAYS a reference to JESUS; not satan.

This is just another example of those who love to (try to) find fault with the Catholic Church.

Sources: Exsultet - Wikipedia

Also, Google translator, Latin to English

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

First of all, the song was originally written in Latin, and started showing up in Latin manuscripts (to be used during certain celebratory Masses, such as Easter) no later that the 7th century.

Secondly, the only part of the song that's being translated from Latin to English is the last part of the song. So, we don't get the whole context unless we have the translation of the song in it's entirety. Since the whole song is about Jesus/God, what went askew?

The translation.

Thirdly, the song is being translated from Latin. Lucifer in Latin, is translated to mean "morning star.' In the original Latin text, it is NOT capitalized. It is not "Lucifer", but "lucifer." It is not a proper noun, nor are the subtitles a proper translation.

Fourth. In scriptures (the Bible), the "morning star" is ALWAYS a reference to JESUS; not satan.

This is just another example of those who love to (try to) find fault with the Catholic Church.

Thanks for clearing that up. Yes there is a push to attack the Catholic church ever since the news aired stories of child molestation from Catholic priests. Something you'll probably find in any church.

Reactions: Marymog and Mink57

Robert Pate

Aug 6, 2023
Washington
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

The translation.

The translation.

The song exalts Satan. Lucifer in the Bible is the devil, Isaiah 14:12. And then the priest said, "Christ is the son of Lucifer". That is 100% blasphemy against God the Father, his Son Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit. Those that say and believe that are under the judgment of God.

Reactions: David in NJ

Mink57

Aug 4, 2020
Las Vegas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The song exalts Satan.
No, it doesn't. The song in its entirety is sung in unison with the lighting of a Paschal candle, during the Easter Vigil. The candle represents the pillar of fire that illuminated the way as the Hebrews were led out of Egypt.
Lucifer in the Bible is the devil, Isaiah 14:12.
Isaiah 14:12 is part of a satirical poem that talks about the fall of the King of Babylon; not the devil or satan. If the word "Lucifer" is in *your* bible at Is 14:12, then you probably have a (N)KJV...which, is one of few versions that uses the Latin word "Lucifer" in that passage. The original Hebrew word is "heilel" (meaning, "shining one"). The NASB translation is "star of the morning."

The word "lucifer" (or a derivative, thereof) was used 5 times by Jerome when he translated the bible into Latin: It can be found at Isaiah 14:12, Job 11:17, Job 38:32, Psalms 110:3 and 2 Peter 1:19. At no time do ANY of those passages refer to "lucifer" as satan or devil.
And then the priest said, "Christ is the son of Lucifer". That is 100% blasphemy against God the Father, his Son Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit. Those that say and believe that are under the judgment of God.
No, the priest did not say that. The following are the words (the priest used) in question in Latin:

Flammas eius lúcifer matutínus invéniat:
ille, inquam, lúcifer, qui nescit occásum.
Christus Fílius tuus,
qui, regréssus ab ínferis, humáno géneri serénus illúxit,
et vivit et regnat in sæcula sæculórum.

The anti-Catholic English "translation" is as follows:

Flames of Lucifer finds dawn,
This I say, Lucifer who will never be defeated,
Christ is your son
Who came back from hell, shed his peaceful light
and is alive and reigns in the world without end.

The proper translation is:

May this flame be found still burning
by the Morning Star:
the one Morning Star who never sets.
Christ your Son,
who, coming back from death's domain,
has shed his peaceful light on humanity,
and lives and reigns for ever and ever.

More about this anti-Catholic slur here:

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe, it is time, we stop the condemnation of one another's religious beliefs and return to the word of God in personal study.

It is the bickering among the denominations that causes satan some success in his bid to overthrow the kingdom of God in individuals . YET, HE IS ALREADY DEFEATED, IT HAPPENED WHEN JESUS SAID " IT IS FINISHED".

In the accepting of the free gift of salvation, believing and following Jesus, obeying the word of God to YOUR best ability, being led of the Spirit, then can we KNOW ,we are the children of God !

I may not agree with your religion, your doctrine, your rituals & traditions, nor your's or men's private interpretations but, God will be the judge, out of the books opened when we stand before him. We will stand ALONE, except for Jesus' affirmation, " This is one of mine, Father".

Mink57

Aug 4, 2020
Las Vegas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe, it is time, we stop the condemnation of one another's religious beliefs and return to the word of God in personal study.

It is the bickering among the denominations that causes satan some success in his bid to overthrow the kingdom of God in individuals . YET, HE IS ALREADY DEFEATED, IT HAPPENED WHEN JESUS SAID " IT IS FINISHED".

In the accepting of the free gift of salvation, believing and following Jesus, obeying the word of God to YOUR best ability, being led of the Spirit, then can we KNOW ,we are the children of God !

I may not agree with your religion, your doctrine, your rituals & traditions, nor your's or men's private interpretations but, God will be the judge, out of the books opened when we stand before him. We will stand ALONE, except for Jesus' affirmation, " This is one of mine, Father".
*Whew* I agree! Frankly, I'm tired of the whole, "My religion's better than yours" (said with a sing-song voice of the grade school playground of "nyah, nyah, nyah, nyah, nyah, nyahhhhhh." *eye roll*

Some denominations believe, they're already "saved". Others believe that they still have work to do before there's salvation.

Does it REALLY matter?

Some feel it's their destiny to 'save' others, but is that REALLY what Jesus told us to do?

Well, yes and no. Maybe to try to save others, but maybe not so much in the way that some try to save others.

Although I am Catholic, I don't believe that going to church on Sunday, Confession and not eating meat on Friday, and saying the Rosary is necessarily going to automatically "save" me.

But I think that what will save us is our humility...before God and others. Again, it's only *my* belief...

...which, added to $2.50 might get me a cup of coffee from Starbuck's. *another eye roll*

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I concur @Mink57
Do any truly think there will denominal, doctrinal or belief tribes in the throne room?

It is a pity that all cannot understand. It takes us believing in Jesus' sacrificial offering to God, the Father, in obedience to his will, our repentance of our sinful nature to be saved, simple !

It is a free gift of God, by his grace thru our faith !

Mink57

Aug 4, 2020
Las Vegas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I concur @Mink57
Do any truly think there will denominal, doctrinal or belief tribes in the throne room?
Some do. Some Catholics believe that ONLY Catholics will end up in Heaven. Some non-Catholic Christians believe that Catholics will end up in Hell. Other Christians believe that we'll ALL end up in Heaven. Go figure...
It is a pity that all cannot understand. It takes us believing in Jesus' sacrificial offering to God, the Father, in obedience to his will, our repentance of our sinful nature to be saved, simple !

It is a free gift of God, by his grace thru our faith !
I think you've touched on the 'keys' to eternal salvation. Some believe that all you have to do is "believe" that Jesus died on the cross for us...and we can still go out, commit sin, act like jerks...but we'll all be SAVED. If that was true, then Jesus' teachings have no meaning.

Obedience to the Father? We don't have to do that! After all, we're 'saved' simply because we believe that Jesus died for our sins...INCLUDING, NOT obeying the Father (apparently)! Kind of like, "Hey! I can break all 10 Commandments, and then some, because Jesus died for *my* sins!"

Yeah. Doesn't quite work that way.

The 'formula' you propose IS simple. But practicing that formula, well...

Tomorrow

Aug 14, 2023
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I find the claim a little hard to swallow. So, I went looking because if the 1st thread title claim were true it would likely be all over the place.

This all happened in 2014.
And a discussion among Catholics is linked below from 2016.

Hi, guys —

On April 27, 2014 the Pope addressed the world. At some point during the event, one guy was singing a song in Latin. It referred to Lucifer several times. I have seen videos online that claim the lyrics were exalting satan as god, the creator. I would like to find the name of that song and the specific lyrics so that I might be able to discern for myself what was actually said.

• Can you direct me to that material or someone who might be able to?
Thank you,

Thomas

1 answer:
Eric replied:

Thomas,
Lucifer means light bearer or morning star in Latin. It doesn't necessarily refer to Satan. In fact, it's the term for one of the acolytes in the liturgy, because he holds the candle. In a certain sense Jesus is lucifer because He is the Light of the World. This is alluded to in 2 Peter 1:19:
et habemus firmiorem propheticum sermonem cui bene facitis adtendentes quasi lucernae lucenti in caliginoso loco donec dies inlucescat et lucifer oriatur in cordibus vestris [4]
which reads in English:
And we have something more sure, the prophetic word, to which you will do well to pay attention as to a lamp shining in a dark place, until the day dawns and the morning star rises in your hearts, (2 Peter 1:19, ESV)
The idea that Satan is Lucifer is not directly found in the Bible but is a gloss from a reference to the King of Babylon in Isaiah 14:12, KJV:
“How art thou fallen from Heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning! how art thou cut down to the ground, which didst weaken the nations!”
Here is some more information on what was being sung at the Pope's liturgy.
Eric

Full discussion is found at the link below.

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Calling out the Catholic Church for the actions of a few bad priests is like calling out Jesus for the actions of a few bad preachers.

The following came out yesterday:

Robert Dell of Pinellas County, along with four other associates, is charged with stealing merchandise worth more than $1.4 million from Home Depot stores in several counties along the west coast of Florida and selling the items online.1 day ago
https://www.fox4now.com/news/state/...Pinellas County,and selling the items online.

Florida pastor charged with running retail theft ring - Fox 4 News

https://www.fox4now.com/news/state/...Pinellas County,and selling the items online.
1692235962732.png

Robert Pate

Aug 6, 2023
Washington
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I find the claim a little hard to swallow. So, I went looking because if the 1st thread title claim were true it would likely be all over the place.

This all happened in 2014.
And a discussion among Catholics is linked below from 2016.

Hi, guys —

On April 27, 2014 the Pope addressed the world. At some point during the event, one guy was singing a song in Latin. It referred to Lucifer several times. I have seen videos online that claim the lyrics were exalting satan as god, the creator. I would like to find the name of that song and the specific lyrics so that I might be able to discern for myself what was actually said.

• Can you direct me to that material or someone who might be able to?
Thank you,

Thomas

1 answer:
Eric replied:

Thomas,
Lucifer means light bearer or morning star in Latin. It doesn't necessarily refer to Satan. In fact, it's the term for one of the acolytes in the liturgy, because he holds the candle. In a certain sense Jesus is lucifer because He is the Light of the World. This is alluded to in 2 Peter 1:19:

which reads in English:

The idea that Satan is Lucifer is not directly found in the Bible but is a gloss from a reference to the King of Babylon in Isaiah 14:12, KJV:

Here is some more information on what was being sung at the Pope's liturgy.
Eric

Full discussion is found at the link below.
The priest said in his song that Jesus was the son of Lucifer. That is as blasphemous as it gets.

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

The translation.

I am confused.

the word in Latin is NOT capitalized. so it could not mean Satan

But it actually means the morning star. which is Christ..

Christ should not be capitalized?? I mean I am not going to say it is actually satan.. I can see a misrepresentation.. But at the same time.. to use this as the reason it is not true is odd..

Mink57

Aug 4, 2020
Las Vegas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am confused.

the word in Latin is NOT capitalized. so it could not mean Satan
Point being, that in the video, Catholics did not capitalize "lucifer". Catholics don't recognize "lucifer" as meaning "satan".
But it actually means the morning star. which is Christ..
Yes, "lucifer" means "morning star" as the most common translation. And yes, Christ is sometimes referred to as "the morning star."
Christ should not be capitalized?? I mean I am not going to say it is actually satan.. I can see a misrepresentation.. But at the same time.. to use this as the reason it is not true is odd..
The point is, that Catholics did not capitalize "lucifer" in the video. Anti-Catholics did. Even some non-Catholic Christians recognize "lucifer" as "Lucifer"; that is, they recognize Lucifer as the name of satan.

Catholics, however, do not recognize the word "lucifer" to mean satan, or to be satan's name.

Status
Not open for further replies.