Children's Bibles

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Even now I struggle to follow the stilted and old fashioned text. I'm grateful to those scholars who spent long hours translating it into modern language. It's the most important book - or set of books - in the world and whichever language it is translated into the vital thing is for God's Word to be understood.

Yep, I am thankful too, it's great to see that the Bible has been translated into so many languages, so at least others can read it. And for those that cannot they even have audio Bibles now.

I have heard of someone though before that couldn't read, that learnt how to read English by reading the Bible.

It's amazing what God can do. :D

Reactions: Pearl

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
When we were small my dad read us all of Dickens Classics , and Greek Mythology...as we grew older we understood it better... He had a wonderful reading voice...we were enthralled, when he got saved he bought us all KJV , .......after Greek Mythology the KJV was no problem for us kids. :D
It is still the bible of choice for all three of us today.
There is a resonance to it, indeed. I too use it with great profit.

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
No, I haven't even seen one. I would be reluctant to use them even with children since they assume children will be unable to understand the Bible. What? I'd say maybe it's adults who have a bigger problem. My reservation is that when you edit the Bible, inevitably you must put a spin on it. Even pictures convey a spin.

I don't expect anyone to understand everything in the Bible. People can read it profitably without grasping everything. I find it useful to know when I don't know. If a child is brought with reading a Bible he knows he doesn't understand fully, that is a good thing since he's retaining an open mind that remains humble.

I see one of the photos mentions "Bible trivia." That sends a wrong message if you ask me. If something in the Bible looks trivial to me, I assume there is something lacking in my understanding.

Nothing wrong with trivia, I guess it gets you to remember things.

And picture story children's Bibles are great for little kids to simply explain the Biblical stories to them, I am not against pictures, as when we get into God's word and clear our minds of other things, I don't know about the rest of you, but I sometimes get pictures painted in my mind of what's going on, it's like actually being in the moment, rolling out before you like you are in a movie or in a scene or in the moment of those stories.

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
So I believe pictures are great and some have that God-given talent to explain Biblical stories in drawing pictures.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
So I believe pictures are great and some have that God-given talent to explain Biblical stories in drawing pictures.
Little children just like to hear the wonderful stories and the pictures will help them to remember. That's why so many churches have pictures in the stained glass windows so that those who were illiterate had a visual aid.

Reactions: Josho

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Nothing wrong with trivia, I guess it gets you to remember things.
The word has some connnotations I wouldn't use about the Bible -- inconsequential, unimportant, etc.

And picture story children's Bibles are great for little kids to simply explain the Biblical stories to them, I am not against pictures, as when we get into God's word and clear our minds of other things, I don't know about the rest of you, but I sometimes get pictures painted in my mind of what's going on, it's like actually being in the moment, rolling out before you like you are in a movie or in a scene or in the moment of those stories.
Michelangelo did some nice paintings, I'll admit; but I wouldn't take some details too seriously. You might wind up thinking Adam had a belly button. Nice painting -- defective theology.