Children's Bibles

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Kid's Bibles or Children's Bibles, who still has theres?

I used to have one of those children's Bibles with all the awesome pictures in it from different Bible stories, I don't have that one anymore though, I do have another kids Bible though, it's a proper NLT translation called "Kid's Life Application Bible" I got it back 2004 when I was 8 years old. I remember mum used to read it to me every night when I was a little kid. :)
IMG20200420192858.jpg

Reactions: amadeus and Helen
R

Rita

Yes, I still have mine- the interesting thing, my parents were not Christians ( it was just the norm for people to have bibles ) it’s an old King James Version , but the old English does my head in - it also has archaic pictures in it. However it’s something of value to me because my mum and dad gave it to me
Rita

Reactions: Josho and farouk

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I remember that as a child whenever I was home sick ( which seemed to be often, I was a weak kid) my mum would allow me to read the kids bible. It must have been my older brothers.

It had a red leather cover with gold lettering.
It was all the major stories in picture form. Wonderful pictures. The one that impressed me the most was Samson as he pulled down the building at the end. But I loved creation, Noah, all of them..

I remember a preacher saying years ago. " Whenever you lead someone to the Lord , always give them a children's bible , so they can very quickly get a clear overview of God's Plan from beginning to end. Then when they have read that...give them a KJV " :)

Reactions: Josho and Rita

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Yes, I still have mine- the interesting thing, my parents were not Christians ( it was just the norm for people to have bibles ) it’s an old King James Version , but the old English does my head in - it also has archaic pictures in it. However it’s something of value to me because my mum and dad gave it to me
Rita
@Rita I do like the King James and have always used it in English.

Reactions: Josho and Helen

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I remember that as a child whenever I was home sick ( which seemed to be often, I was a weak kid) my mum would allow me to read the kids bible. It must have been my older brothers.

It had a red leather cover with gold lettering.
It was all the major stories in picture form. Wonderful pictures. The one that impressed me the most was Samson as he pulled down the building at the end. But I loved creation, Noah, all of them..

I remember a preacher saying years ago. " Whenever you lead someone to the Lord , always give them a children's bible , so they can very quickly get a clear overview of God's Plan from beginning to end. Then when they have read that...give them a KJV " :)

The Noah's Ark story pictures are always wonderful.

And that's some good advice.

Reactions: Helen

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Giuliano @Angelina @lforrest @rockytopva @Pearl
Do you have any children's Bibles?
No, I haven't even seen one. I would be reluctant to use them even with children since they assume children will be unable to understand the Bible. What? I'd say maybe it's adults who have a bigger problem. My reservation is that when you edit the Bible, inevitably you must put a spin on it. Even pictures convey a spin.

I don't expect anyone to understand everything in the Bible. People can read it profitably without grasping everything. I find it useful to know when I don't know. If a child is brought with reading a Bible he knows he doesn't understand fully, that is a good thing since he's retaining an open mind that remains humble.

I see one of the photos mentions "Bible trivia." That sends a wrong message if you ask me. If something in the Bible looks trivial to me, I assume there is something lacking in my understanding.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I still have the little bible I was given as a child. It has a few illustrations in it but as it is a KJV I could never understand it - still cant. When I became a Christian in my thirties our church used the Good New bible so I bought one of those and loved it and later supplied my grandkids with the children's' illustrated version of it. I mostly use my NIV now but also like the NLT.

Reactions: Josho

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I still have the little bible I was given as a child. It has a few illustrations in it but as it is a KJV I could never understand it - still cant. When I became a Christian in my thirties our church used the Good New bible so I bought one of those and loved it and later supplied my grandkids with the children's' illustrated version of it. I mostly use my NIV now but also like the NLT.

The KJV can be tricky to understand especially for a child.

Reactions: Pearl

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Even now I struggle to follow the stilted and old fashioned text. I'm grateful to those scholars who spent long hours translating it into modern language. It's the most important book - or set of books - in the world and whichever language it is translated into the vital thing is for God's Word to be understood.

Reactions: Josho

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

When we were small my dad read us all of Dickens Classics , and Greek Mythology...as we grew older we understood it better... He had a wonderful reading voice...we were enthralled, when he got saved he bought us all KJV , .......after Greek Mythology the KJV was no problem for us kids. :D
It is still the bible of choice for all three of us today.

Reactions: farouk