Choosing God's Will Over Our Own.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Stumpmaster

Apr 5, 2009
Hamilton, New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Matthew 26:39-44

(39) And He went a little further, and fell on His face, and prayed, saying,
O my Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me: nevertheless not as I will, but as You will.
(40) And He comes unto the disciples, and finds them asleep, and says unto Peter, What, could you not watch with me one hour?
(41)Watch and pray, that you enter not into temptation: the spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak.
(42) He went away again the second time, and prayed, saying, O my Father, if this cup may not pass away from me, except I drink it, your will be done.
(43) And He came and found them asleep again: for their eyes were heavy.
(44) And He left them, and went away again, and prayed the third time, saying the same words.

Three times Jesus prayed for God's will to be done in deference to His own, which was that the "cup of His sacrificial suffering" would pass from Him.

He also warned the disciples to watch and pray so they didn't fall into temptation.

We have a choice.

God won't lead us into temptation.
If we follow His Son's example and put His will above our own we won't backslide into the world and loose our faith.

The choice is ours and God gives us all the help we need if we are prepared to sacrifice our own will in favour of His.

I don't know of any Christian who hasn't had their faith tested.

I know ex-Christians who have abandoned any faith they once had, but as an "evergreen Christian" it doesn't matter what seasons and shake-ups we go through we still find God to be faithful to us and we can fight the good fight of faith in order to remain faithful to Him, knowing He allows us to choose.

2Timothy 2:12-13
(12) If we suffer, we shall also reign with Him if we deny Him, He also will deny us:
(13) If we believe not, yet He abides faithful: He cannot deny Himself.

Glenn

Apr 5, 2009
Still under the probational salvation taught by Christ under the law! it manifested death to old adam so why are you trying make him strive for something he never could obtain?

Benoni

Aug 16, 2009
Western NY
The choice is not ours. There is no such thing as freewill or choice when it comes to salvation.

There is no whey a human will can supersedes God's will.

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
Benoni said:
The choice is not ours. There is no such thing as freewill or choice when it comes to salvation.

In short, by your logic, you are in a sense calling God a monster. An evil God.

Benoni

Aug 16, 2009
Western NY
Why because God is soverign

Benoni said:

Stumpmaster

Apr 5, 2009
Hamilton, New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Glenn said:
Still under the probational salvation taught by Christ under the law! it manifested death to old adam so why are you trying make him strive for something he never could obtain?
Hi Glenn,
You're a bit quick of the mark with your comments.
My post entitled "Choosing God's Will Over Our Own" was not intended as a discussion of salvation. If you care to examine the context of the verses you will find it is all about resisting temptation. Christ was struggling with a very real temptation to use His power to avoid going to the cross. Why do you think He prayed so earnestly? Why do you think His sweat resembled drops of blood? Why do you think He was in agony?

Luke 22:44
(44) And being in an agony He prayed more earnestly: and His sweat was as it were great drops of blood falling down to the ground.

If anyone thinks their will cannot be influenced by Satan they are not in harmony with God's Word.

Luke 22:31-32
(31) And the Lord said, Simon, Simon, behold, Satan has desired to have you, that he may sift you as wheat:
(32) But I have prayed for you, that your faith fail not: and when you are converted, strengthen your brethren.

Nomad

Post Tenebras Lux
Aug 9, 2009
Philadelphia, PA.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Benoni said:
Still God is soverign over all things and Satan has no power and or ability unless God ordains it.

As a confessional Calvinist (which you are not) I would agree. But what does this have to do with this thread? Why do you feel the need to interject such things in almost every thread and every post? Maybe you should take the time to look at the OP very carefully. It has nothing to do with the extent of God's sovereignty.

Benoni

Aug 16, 2009
Western NY
Anytime someone trys to make Satan to have the power God's soverinty comes into play. Satan is a created being and has limited power.

Nomad said:
Benoni said:
Still God is soverign over all things and Satan has no power and or ability unless God ordains it.

As a confessional Calvinist (which you are not) I would agree. But what does this have to do with this thread? Why do you feel the need to interject such things in almost every thread and every post? Maybe you should take the time to look at the OP very carefully. It has nothing to do with the extent of God's sovereignty.

Glenn

Apr 5, 2009
Stumpmaster said:
Glenn said:
Hi Glenn,
You're a bit quick of the mark with your comments.
My post entitled "Choosing God's Will Over Our Own" was not intended as a discussion of salvation. If you care to examine the context of the verses you will find it is all about resisting temptation. Christ was struggling with a very real temptation to use His power to avoid going to the cross. Why do you think He prayed so earnestly? Why do you think His sweat resembled drops of blood? Why do you think He was in agony?

Luke 22:44
(44) And being in an agony He prayed more earnestly: and His sweat was as it were great drops of blood falling down to the ground.

If anyone thinks their will cannot be influenced by Satan they are not in harmony with God's Word.

Luke 22:31-32
(31) And the Lord said, Simon, Simon, behold, Satan has desired to have you, that he may sift you as wheat:
(32) But I have prayed for you, that your faith fail not: and when you are converted, strengthen your brethren.

You did mention one could loose faith did you not? which I would agree if your talking about your faith, but if your speaking of the gift of faith like Christs which keeps us from falling away then I disagree.

Glenn

Apr 5, 2009
Stumpmaster said:
Matthew 26:39-44

(39) And He went a little further, and fell on His face, and prayed, saying,
O my Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me: nevertheless not as I will, but as You will.
(40) And He comes unto the disciples, and finds them asleep, and says unto Peter, What, could you not watch with me one hour?
(41)Watch and pray, that you enter not into temptation: the spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak.
(42) He went away again the second time, and prayed, saying, O my Father, if this cup may not pass away from me, except I drink it, your will be done.
(43) And He came and found them asleep again: for their eyes were heavy.
(44) And He left them, and went away again, and prayed the third time, saying the same words.

Three times Jesus prayed for God's will to be done in deference to His own, which was that the "cup of His sacrificial suffering" would pass from Him.

He also warned the disciples to watch and pray so they didn't fall into temptation.

We have a choice.

God won't lead us into temptation.
If we follow His Son's example and put His will above our own we won't backslide into the world and loose our faith.

The choice is ours and God gives us all the help we need if we are prepared to sacrifice our own will in favour of His.

I don't know of any Christian who hasn't had their faith tested.

I know ex-Christians who have abandoned any faith they once had, but as an "evergreen Christian" it doesn't matter what seasons and shake-ups we go through we still find God to be faithful to us and we can fight the good fight of faith in order to remain faithful to Him, knowing He allows us to choose.

2Timothy 2:12-13
(12) If we suffer, we shall also reign with Him if we deny Him, He also will deny us:
(13) If we believe not, yet He abides faithful: He cannot deny Himself.
One other thing we are not to follow Christ for our salvation, that was the way taught under the law to the circumcision and they all failed except Him, the failure was the reason for His sacrifice in our place, be it adam or those also under the law and thats the goodnews, not trying to walk in His foot steps for salvation under the law; salvation is a free gift from God to sinners, thats the liberatiing thing that sets one free from the bondage of the law!, and adamic death, the law only ministered death to old adam and he died on the cross with Christ so why try and make him alive and try and make him follow in Christ footsteps? unless your part of the house of Israel, and Judah your not under the law old or new covenant.

We are saved by grace through faith, and not of ourselves! its the gift of God.