Chris & Mike - Whose Side Are You On?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Whose Side Are You On?

• Chris

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mike

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Tzephanyahu

Apr 17, 2019
Dorset
www.faithandtheword.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Shalom all,

There were two men, one called Chris and the other called Mike. Both sat down to play a game. Chris understood how to WIN the game and Mike understood how to PLAY the game. This began a debate…

Chris: “There’s no need for me to play the game, I know how to win it already”

Mike: “How can you win the game if you don’t play it? You don’t even know the rules.”

Chris: “So what? I know how to win the game. That’s all that matters. Why do you play if you don’t know how to win?”

Mike: “I do know how to win... kind of. But more importantly, I know how to play and all the strategies”

Chris: “You don’t need to know all the rules and strategies to win the game, it’s quite simple!”

Mike: “Well how can you even win the game if you don’t play it in the first place??”

-----------
Many times in our lives we like to think everything is black or white. We don’t like the uncertainty of grey. Therefore, when we have chosen a side, we vigilantly argue for it, partially out of belief and partially to not accept that we’re wrong. Accepting we’re wrong can have a catastrophic, reformative implications for us, which we naturally avoid at all costs.

“Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it” ~ Matthew 7:13-14.

The word used for narrow above can also mean compressed, as in surrounded from both sides. Imagine like a narrow path in the middle of many wrong paths, which get further in error the further they are away from the middle, correct one.

Chris represents the typical mindset of Christians. Mike represents the typical mindset of Messianics. Such mindsets in both disciplines are wrong. It’s not just grace and it’s not just law. It’s both. It’s in the middle, as a fine line, a narrow path – sharing the correct offerings from both but not straying off into the extremity of either.

Should we take advantage of grace as Christians? Should we enslave our family with Torah as Messianics? Neither. Both such ways aren’t “complete”. Willing collaboration, from both sides, is needed. This can only bring blessings to each other. Or shall we continue to hide from the grey narrow path, because of the catastrophic, reformative implications?

Consider what's at risk here. Is it really worth just arguing repetitively with so little time?

-----------

The conversation could continue like this, forever…

Chris: “Listen! I know how to win! You are trying to bombard me with the rules and I won’t have it! You are in massive error! Be gone!”

Mike: “Fool! You can’t win without the rules! You are blinded to the truth and probably will never ever win the game!”

Or we could change it for ourselves, with humility...

Chris: “Okay, I don’t know all the rules, I didn’t really get all of them to be honest. But I know how to win. Maybe we can work together?”

Mike: “Sounds good. Tell you what, I’ll walk you through the game, a step at a time, and you guide me on how to win it. Deal?”

Thank you for reading this long post!

Love & Shalom

Reactions: Dave L
D

Dave L

Thanks. really interesting. As I see it both don't understand the game or know how to win it. They only think they do.

“And the Lord thy God will circumcise thine heart, and the heart of thy seed, to love the Lord thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, that thou mayest live.” (Deuteronomy 30:6)

So in view of this it is as Paul says; “Love worketh no ill to his neighbour: therefore love is the fulfilling of the law.” (Romans 13:10)

“But now I ask you, lady (not as if I were writing a new commandment to you, but the one we have had from the beginning), that we love one another. (Now this is love: that we walk according to his commandments.) This is the commandment, just as you have heard from the beginning; thus you should walk in it.” (2 John 5–6)

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Besides the Hebrew I felt invited by the Lord to celebrate Passover. We are doing a seder next week. We have been doing so the past few decades...being invited to introduce it in various churches...as well as our own fellowship.

Paul says concerning Passover...

1 Cor. 5:8 Therefore let us keep the feast, not with old leaven, neither with the leaven of malice and wickedness; but with the unleavened bread of sincerity and truth.

This is an invitation....not a command. It is a way to understand another aspect of the Lord. Another facet. A very special statement of Jesus for me is in response to the disciples asking Him...Master where do you live? His response is... "Come and see!" :)

Reactions: Tzephanyahu

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Shalom all,

There were two men, one called Chris and the other called Mike. Both sat down to play a game. Chris understood how to WIN the game and Mike understood how to PLAY the game. This began a debate…

Chris: “There’s no need for me to play the game, I know how to win it already”

Mike: “How can you win the game if you don’t play it? You don’t even know the rules.”

Chris: “So what? I know how to win the game. That’s all that matters. Why do you play if you don’t know how to win?”

Mike: “I do know how to win... kind of. But more importantly, I know how to play and all the strategies”

Chris: “You don’t need to know all the rules and strategies to win the game, it’s quite simple!”

Mike: “Well how can you even win the game if you don’t play it in the first place??”

-----------
Many times in our lives we like to think everything is black or white. We don’t like the uncertainty of grey. Therefore, when we have chosen a side, we vigilantly argue for it, partially out of belief and partially to not accept that we’re wrong. Accepting we’re wrong can have a catastrophic, reformative implications for us, which we naturally avoid at all costs.

“Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it” ~ Matthew 7:13-14.

The word used for narrow above can also mean compressed, as in surrounded from both sides. Imagine like a narrow path in the middle of many wrong paths, which get further in error the further they are away from the middle, correct one.

Chris represents the typical mindset of Christians. Mike represents the typical mindset of Messianics. Such mindsets in both disciplines are wrong. It’s not just grace and it’s not just law. It’s both. It’s in the middle, as a fine line, a narrow path – sharing the correct offerings from both but not straying off into the extremity of either.

Should we take advantage of grace as Christians? Should we enslave our family with Torah as Messianics? Neither. Both such ways aren’t “complete”. Willing collaboration, from both sides, is needed. This can only bring blessings to each other. Or shall we continue to hide from the grey narrow path, because of the catastrophic, reformative implications?

Consider what's at risk here. Is it really worth just arguing repetitively with so little time?

-----------

The conversation could continue like this, forever…

Chris: “Listen! I know how to win! You are trying to bombard me with the rules and I won’t have it! You are in massive error! Be gone!”

Mike: “Fool! You can’t win without the rules! You are blinded to the truth and probably will never ever win the game!”

Or we could change it for ourselves, with humility...

Chris: “Okay, I don’t know all the rules, I didn’t really get all of them to be honest. But I know how to win. Maybe we can work together?”

Mike: “Sounds good. Tell you what, I’ll walk you through the game, a step at a time, and you guide me on how to win it. Deal?”

Thank you for reading this long post!

Love & Shalom

Everything is black and white. But not every issue is a single issue.

Some issues have aspects that are right and aspects that are wrong. You have to look at each aspect separately.

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
The analogy assumes a dichotomy between law and grace. One being left of the path and the other on the right.

I would say the Law is more like a border to the trail. The blind who walk the trail feel along the edge to try and avoid getting lost. But there are those who were given sight and can see the trail. Their journey is much less dangerous.

Last edited:
Reactions: Episkopos

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
With respect to the OP: -

Many people like to argue within the grey areas between the white and the black areas of the disagreement, because by inhabiting the grey areas of the disagreement they all are "right" in what they argue if they are closest to the white area of the disagreement than their opponent, even though they are arguing from a place where they are both/all in error.

The strength of their argument is won by how loudly they can shout over the top of their opponent in the disagreement or by the fact that their opponent in the discussion has left the table because of the brick wall syndrome.

Reactions: Butterfly