Christ is the End of the Law (Religion) for Righteousness

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Under the New Covenant the law has been abolished, Ephesians 2:15. Jesus nailed it to his cross, Colossians 2:14.
Rather, our "certificate of debt" was nailed to the cross. This was the idiomatic use for cheirographon, handwritting. This was discovered from a great many papyrii found in the Egyptian city Oxyrhynchus. Paul uses this in Philemon, "If he owes you anything I'll repay it, see, I've written in my own hand."

The practice was you would write your acknowledgement of indebtedness, and give it to your creditor. When you paid, they would write on it "tetelestai", and give it back to you. "It is finished".

I heartily agree with the balance of your post.

Much love!

Robert Pate

Aug 6, 2023
Washington
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Rather, our "certificate of debt" was nailed to the cross. This was the idiomatic use for cheirographon, handwritting. This was discovered from a great many papyrii found in the Egyptian city Oxyrhynchus. Paul uses this in Philemon, "If he owes you anything I'll repay it, see, I've written in my own hand."

The practice was you would write your acknowledgement of indebtedness, and give it to your creditor. When you paid, they would write on it "tetelestai", and give it back to you. "It is finished".

I heartily agree with the balance of your post.

Much love!
Paul wrote, "Now to him that does works is the reward not reckoned of grace, but of debt" Romans 4:4