Christ is the End of the Law (Religion) for Righteousness

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Robert Pate

Aug 6, 2023
Washington
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Under the New Covenant the law has been abolished, Ephesians 2:15. Jesus nailed it to his cross, Colossians 2:14.

The reason that God abolished the law is because all of God's people are now in Christ. God sees them as perfect and complete in Christ, Colossians 2:10. Religion is for people that cannot believe the Gospel because they are religious. Religion is man's attempt to save himself by the works of the law (What he does). Paul said, "By the deeds of the law (what we do) no flesh will be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin" Romans 3:20.

Participation in a religion is a denial of the New Covenant, the Gospel and justification by faith and is under the judgment of God. Religion does not save or justify. God does not accept the works or the obedience of the religious, if he did, that would make him a sinner. God only accepts the works and the person of Jesus Christ. We are accepted only in him and because of him.

Those that are saved have ceased from their own works (religion) and have entered into his rest, Hebrews 4:10. They are resting in the righteousness of Christ and in his atonement for their sins. The religious are not able to enter into this rest and are under God's judgment. Hebrews 4:3-5.

Reactions: L.A.M.B.

Robert Pate

Aug 6, 2023
Washington
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Under the New Covenant the law has been abolished, Ephesians 2:15. Jesus nailed it to his cross, Colossians 2:14.

The reason that God abolished the law is because all of God's people are now in Christ. God sees them as perfect and complete in Christ, Colossians 2:10. Religion is for people that cannot believe the Gospel because they are religious. Religion is man's attempt to save himself by the works of the law (What he does). Paul said, "By the deeds of the law (what we do) no flesh will be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin" Romans 3:20.

Participation in a religion is a denial of the New Covenant, the Gospel and justification by faith and is under the judgment of God. Religion does not save or justify. God does not accept the works or the obedience of the religious, if he did, that would make him a sinner. God only accepts the works and the person of Jesus Christ. We are accepted only in him and because of him.

Those that are saved have ceased from their own works (religion) and have entered into his rest, Hebrews 4:10. They are resting in the righteousness of Christ and in his atonement for their sins. The religious are not able to enter into this rest and are under God's judgment. Hebrews 4:3-5.
Paul could have said, "Christ is the end of religion for righteousness to everyone that believes". The words "Law" and "Religion" mean the same thing. Any religious thing that we do is a work of the law. Paul said, "Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin" Romans 3:20.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

The law keeps us out of trouble. For instance, if you rob a bank, you go to prison, so the Lord told us not to steal.

Robert Pate

Aug 6, 2023
Washington
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The law keeps us out of trouble. For instance, if you rob a bank, you go to prison, so the Lord told us not to steal.
You need to be told not to steal? Paul said that the law made him sin. "But sin, taking occasion by the commandment, wrought in me all manner of concupiscence (lust). For without the law sin was dead" Romans 7:8.
We need to be dead to the law and alive to Christ.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You need to be told not to steal? Paul said that the law made him sin. "But sin, taking occasion by the commandment, wrought in me all manner of concupiscence (lust). For without the law sin was dead" Romans 7:8.
We need to be dead to the law and alive to Christ.
I wasn't born perfect - I had to learn what I know from the Lord.

Robert Pate

Aug 6, 2023
Washington
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I wasn't born perfect - I had to learn what I know from the Lord.
Much of what I know I learned from others. Just be sure that what you are learning from others is compatible with the scriptures. Check it out to see if what they are saying is true.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Much of what I know I learned from others. Just be sure that what you are learning from others is compatible with the scriptures. Check it out to see if what they are saying is true.
We have one teacher (Matt 23:8). I imagine, though, he sometimes has us learn from each other.

JBO

Oct 20, 2023
Prescott, AZ
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Not quite true. It does not say in Colossians 2:14 that the law was nailed to the cross; rather, it says the record of debt (ESV), the handwriting of ordinances (KJV), certificate of debt (NASB), charge of our legal indebtedness (NIV) was nailed to the cross. All of these point, not to the law, but to the record of each of our disobediences of the law. What does that mean? It means we have forgiveness of our trespasses and sins. Some would argue that some of the law, namely the ceremonial aspects of the law was indeed set aside while the moral aspects of the law remain, but that was in God's adopting the New Covenant in place of the Old Covenant.

In a similar fashion, it wasn't so much the law that was abolished in Ephesians 2:15; rather it was the Old Covenant that was made obsolete under the New Covenant. That is what some, perhaps many, scholars think Paul meant by the "law of commandments expressed in ordinances". It is still a sin to covet; it is still a sin to steal. it is still a sin to murder. It is still a sin to etc., etc., etc.

The point of the indwelling Holy Spirit is to help us in our fight against sinning.

And I would add here that your inference of the "deeds of the law" being what we do is not quite correct either. The law was not so all encompassing and ambiguous as "what we do". It was specific; it was the Law of Moses. It is reported that there are 613 specific laws named in the Old Testament as being "The Law" of Moses.

Breathing is something we do. It is/was not considered a deed of the law. Eating is something we do. It is/was not considered a deed of the law, even though there are aspects of eating that are contained in the law such as gluttony or eating "non-kosher" foods. Believing in God is something that we do; but it is not a deed of the law, either under the Old Covenant or the New Covenant.

Robert Pate

Aug 6, 2023
Washington
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Think not that I have come to abolish the law and the prophets; I have come not to abolish them but to fulfil them. Matt 5:19 RSV
Having fulfilled the law he abolished it, that is unless you believe that Paul is a liar, Ephesians 2:15.

Robert Pate

Aug 6, 2023
Washington
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not quite true. It does not say in Colossians 2:14 that the law was nailed to the cross; rather, it says the record of debt (ESV), the handwriting of ordinances (KJV), certificate of debt (NASB), charge of our legal indebtedness (NIV) was nailed to the cross. All of these point, not to the law, but to the record of each of our disobediences of the law. What does that mean? It means we have forgiveness of our trespasses and sins. Some would argue that some of the law, namely the ceremonial aspects of the law was indeed set aside while the moral aspects of the law remain, but that was in God's adopting the New Covenant in place of the Old Covenant.

In a similar fashion, it wasn't so much the law that was abolished in Ephesians 2:15; rather it was the Old Covenant that was made obsolete under the New Covenant. That is what some, perhaps many, scholars think Paul meant by the "law of commandments expressed in ordinances". It is still a sin to covet; it is still a sin to steal. it is still a sin to murder. It is still a sin to etc., etc., etc.

The point of the indwelling Holy Spirit is to help us in our fight against sinning.

And I would add here that your inference of the "deeds of the law" being what we do is not quite correct either. The law was not so all encompassing and ambiguous as "what we do". It was specific; it was the Law of Moses. It is reported that there are 613 specific laws named in the Old Testament as being "The Law" of Moses.

Breathing is something we do. It is/was not considered a deed of the law. Eating is something we do. It is/was not considered a deed of the law, even though there are aspects of eating that are contained in the law such as gluttony or eating "non-kosher" foods. Believing in God is something that we do; but it is not a deed of the law, either under the Old Covenant or the New Covenant.
To be under the law or subject to it is to under the curse, Galatians 3:10.

You are in conflict with the teachings of Paul. "Christ is the end of the law for righteousness for those that believe" Romans 10:4. You apparently don't believe.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Having fulfilled the law he abolished it, that is unless you believe that Paul is a liar, Ephesians 2:15.
He said that he did not come to abolish the law.

But even so, when you don't sin, you can hold your head up and look everyone square in the eyes. Wouldn't you want it that way?

JBO

Oct 20, 2023
Prescott, AZ
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
To be under the law or subject to it is to under the curse, Galatians 3:10.

You are in conflict with the teachings of Paul. "Christ is the end of the law for righteousness for those that believe" Romans 10:4. You apparently don't believe.
To be under the law does not mean that we are not to obey God's law; it only means that the law is not the path to the righteousness necessary to enter the kingdom of God. There is much of the law that is repeated throughout the NT that we are called to obey. Obedience continues to be a major theme in all of God's word. There are many calls to avoid lawlessness in the NT.

Robert Pate

Aug 6, 2023
Washington
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
He said that he did not come to abolish the law.

But even so, when you don't sin, you can hold your head up and look everyone square in the eyes. Wouldn't you want it that way?
You sin every day. The law is spiritual, it searches the desires and the intent of the heart, Hebrews 4:12. Jesus did not abolish the law for unbelievers. They will be judged by it.

Robert Pate

Aug 6, 2023
Washington
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
To be under the law does not mean that we are not to obey God's law; it only means that the law is not the path to the righteousness necessary to enter the kingdom of God. There is much of the law that is repeated throughout the NT that we are called to obey. Obedience continues to be a major theme in all of God's word. There are many calls to avoid lawlessness in the NT.
That may be for you, but not for me. I am 100% free from the law because, "Christ is the end of the law for righteousness for those that believe" Romans 10:4. Christians are not Pharisees. They are led and taught by the Holy Spirit, John 16:13.

JBO

Oct 20, 2023
Prescott, AZ
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That may be for you, but not for me. I am 100% free from the law because, "Christ is the end of the law for righteousness for those that believe" Romans 10:4. Christians are not Pharisees. They are led and taught by the Holy Spirit, John 16:13.
So then, you are free to covet, to steal, to murder, i.e., all the things forbidden by the law? I don't think so. I would note that there is a reason for the words εἰς δικαιοσύνην [unto righteousness]. We are not under the law as a way of salvation, but we are still under full obligation to obey the relevant commandments of the law (see Rom 6:14-15).

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You sin every day. The law is spiritual, it searches the desires and the intent of the heart, Hebrews 4:12. Jesus did not abolish the law for unbelievers. They will be judged by it.
I sin every day? Which commandment(s) am I breaking?