Christian Duties Regarding Education

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

den1955

Apr 3, 2009
Hi all,I am recently retired public school teacher and a newly published author. I'd like to get some discussion going on the duties of Christians in regard to our public school system.THE STAKES ARE HIGH: GOD'S WISDOM FOR OUR PUBLIC SCHOOLS Dennis R. Ray, M.Ed., author
smile.gif
"Hate what is evil; cling to what is good. Be devoted to one another in brotherly love. Honor one another above yourselves. Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervor, serving the Lord. Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer. Share with God's people who are in need. Practice hospitality." ROMANS 12:9-13

den1955

Apr 3, 2009
If I may elaborate a bit:My book is: THE STAKES ARE HIGH: GOD'S WISDOM FOR OUR PUBLIC SCHOOLS Dennis R. Ray, M.Ed., author, (Tate Publishing)I first focussed on what the Bible has to say about Godly wisdom and how we can receive it, then go into the needs of the young people in our schools today. I go on to discuss the adult responsibilities in these areas, and how we have gotten off course with the whole 'wall of separation of church and state metaphor'. I conclude with ways to get involved.I feel that we have become splintered in our attack on the enemy's corruption of our youth by 'escaping' if you will to homeschooling and private schooling. I know this steps on some toes but before you leap to judging that statement, realize that I FULLY understand why a Christian parent in this day and age would choose one of those options! I feel more is needed and we cannot turn our backs on those remaining in public schools.I'd be interested in reactions or thoughts some of you have.I look forward to being a part of this forum!!!! Thanks to all !!

WhiteKnuckle

Mar 29, 2009
Are you asking how to teach God in public schools? Or how to get it manditory, or okay for teachers to teach God?

den1955

Apr 3, 2009
Many young people are walking through this life with only dark influences. They have no direction. They find acceptance in gangs and in other unsavory actions. We are to be lights to the world. We are ignoring these young people however. We fear lawsuits and do not allow graduating seniors to thank Jesus in their commencement speeches. We are not standing for our values.William Wilberforce described 18th century France below but to me it sounds eerily like America today:“Christianity has been attacked and marginalized by groups, because those who professed belief were unable to defend the faith from attack, even though the attackers’ arguments were deeply flawed.”Franklin Graham said: "“…for the sake of our commission to ‘go and make disciples,’ I hope Christians will not surrender the public schools. Instead, let us take them back. Let us consider them a mission field.”To do nothing is to let the enemy's influences fill the voids many of these young people are experiencing in their lives. We must find ways to reach out to them or risk losing much of this generation to the world.Public schools have been “rebuilt” to the point where the worldly wisdom of “political correctness” is now overshadowing the wisdom of God and the will of God for these young lives involved in them. Psalm 127:1 tells us, “Unless the Lord builds a house, They labor in vain who build it.” I apologize if I am rambling a bit. The thesis of my work is that these young people need to know God and we must find ways to reach them. We are the adults. It is up to us to be instruments of change.The Bible can be used in schools as a history resource, a literature resource etc.see biblesinschool.net

WhiteKnuckle

Mar 29, 2009
Welcome to the Forums BTW!I'm in the air about this subject. On one hand, I don't believe in separation of church and state. On the other hand I'm completely against the merger.For one, Government getting involved in anything we have to do with our personal lives has never been a good thing. The last thing we need is for them to control our "religious beliefs".Also, on the other spectrum, If the government were actually a believing bunch, things would be better without a doubt. However, I still don't feel that a state religion should be imposed, as it surely would be every bit as much as it's not legal to sell cars on sunday or liquor stores being closed on sundays.It is very hipocritical that our children are being forced to learn the doctrine of evolution, and the science of "the big bang" and are given only offers that point away from spirituality, in specifics Jesus Christ. While not offered a counter study or even an elective that could be chosen by the students and not forced, such as, Art, Athletics, Orchestra, Band, and others. Since the bible refutes the very foundation for the above required learning it can't be included as it is not "scientificaly recognisable"As far as using the Bible as a history source or literature, most are not even accepting the bible as a historic source (at least in the layman circuits). If the bible would be used as a literary resource, then it would fall into history much like Shakespear, whos writings while considered romantic, versed, and profound, are considered nothing more than musings. (although, some might try to use the "genius" to depect mans moral delemas and the results of the choices made of man)As electives, students are offered psychology and philosophy. While odd that it sounds teaching the musings of such as, Freud, or Socrates to Aristotle and others. Most are not required. However, the same musings of those are also refuted by the bible itself. So, as stated above,,,,, not considered viable. As the bible gives a definitive answer for human nature and a result of that nature.There's also denominational issues that are far more complex and held more closely to peoples hearts than the gospel itself. If even an elective were offered, it would have to be non biased to any religion as to promote "religous tolerance". There would have to be literaly thousands of courses offered. So, you'd get kids taking the teachings of budda combining them with vishnu and taking the others from allah and still more trying to add them to Jesus. More than likely end up with a universal theory such as Oprah teaches.So, with all the above said, I think it's simply a matter of money and not much more. Dispite the arguments non-believers would have. Another argument would be private schools which are offered, and the very ones that imply that a public school should not have "religion" based educational programs, don't understand that private schools cost money, while public schools are free. Home school is another sanction offered up, but again, not always viable due to the time parents would have, and there again, Money.Broken down, IMHO, if the bible were allowed to be taught as a class or used as a history resource, or a literary work, the ramifications on the spirituality of our children would be further stunted even more so than if it weren't allowed.An Idea to appease would be closer to the discetion of frogs in science classes. Most if not all classes offer students an alternative if they feel it's wrong to discet an animal. And even given a passing grade if they feel it's not right.Also, sex education is treated the same way, if the schools offer it. Most require a parents signature for the participation of that part of the corriculum.An even better Idea would be, to have "science of evolution" or "science of the big bang" offered as a whole other elective rather than a required part of learning.Either way, it still falls on the parents to guide and instruct the children in the ways of the Lord.I'm very much interested in reading other believers Ideas.

den1955

Apr 3, 2009
Whiteknuckle:You make some very very good points. I understand your hesitation about the Bible in literature and history classes. I do believe however that if we are able to get the Bible into the classrooms in whatever areas of study it is accepted, that the Holy Spirit can then work through that Word. There will be benefits to many young people.I also think with you that to deny the study of Intelligent Design is hypocritical of scientists who claim that they are interested in studying all theories in their areas of study.For us as Christians, the biggest factor restricting any level of success is the denominational divisions you refer to. The spirit of division is one the enemy has been most successful in using. It was Thomas Jefferson who, in a letter to John Dickinson, July 23, 1801 said, “The greatest good we can do our country is to heal its party divisions and make them one people.” And Jesus prayed that all believers would be one."I do not pray for these alone, but also for those who will believe in Me through their word; that they all may be one, as You, Father, are in Me, and I in You; that they also may be one in Us, that the world may believe that You sent Me. And the glory which You gave Me I have given them, that they may be one just as We are one: I in them, and You in Me; that they may be made perfect in one, and that the world may know that You have sent Me, and have loved them as You have loved Me. "John 17:20-23Unless we can unite in our efforts, the enemy will continue to gain ground in the lives of our youth. Inaction is not an option. We need to act! I hope discussions like these can in some way jump start that desire to act.

WhiteKnuckle

Mar 29, 2009
I agree the Holy Spirit will work through his word if allowed as a literary reference in schools. It may also be not allowed for the same reason. It's definately frustrating trying to take control. There are ways though, we just need to be shrewed about it.edited so not to add another post just under my originalI think we can use the separation of church and state deal that non-believers seem to use against us all the time.We can petetion things such as evolution/big bang theorys to be used as an elective. Separation of church and state can certainly be used on this because, Our kids are required to get "educated" by law. And the reasons stated in our above posts could fall under necisity for this. It's not fesable for everyone to have to homeschool or private school. State that we're not trying to dictate anyones belief aside from our own children. Once convinced that these theories are detrimental to our childrens spirituality there shouldn't be much choice. It may seem we're trying to "preserve" these rediculous theories. But we'd have a much larger victory than they could ever imagine.That way, they can be appeased, and we can be appeased.Just one Idea. I think you're on the right track though.

den1955

Apr 3, 2009
I just came across a quote that speaks to our need to stand up for our Christian rights.C.S. Lewis tells us:“As Christians we are tempted to make unnecessary concessions. We give in too much. We must show our true Christian Colors if we are to be true to Jesus Christ. We cannot remain silent or concede everything away.”

WhiteKnuckle

Mar 29, 2009
True, and I don't believe we are. That's why it seems like a concession. That's the way they precieve it if we make evolution and elective. We will have essentialy put it in the back where very few that take it will want to learn it. It's just "an easy A" class. But, it should never never never be mentioned like this,"Evolution is just a theory, so we should take it out of science and biology" Then the reply will be, Well, there's lot's of theories in science, etc etc,,,,, God says we should "be innocent as doves and shrewd as snakes". One of my favorite verses.