Christian Music going the way of the World. Sad

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TEXBOW

Jul 8, 2021
Cypress
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I recently visited a non denominational church. It was not a large church, maybe 100 in attendance. Not a lavish building mostly simple except the stage behind the pulpit. The music was contemporary with Colored lights, fog or mist machine. Minus the lyrics you would certainly think you were in a secular music concert. The body language was that of secular artist.
I was not blessed. It was not edifying. I didn't enjoy it. In fact I disliked it. It's not what I expect in worship. Maybe I'm old school. Actually I am old school. Gospel music is going the way of the world.
Why would any Christian artist wish to emulate secular music artist?

GaryAnderson

Aug 10, 2021
Massachusetts
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have no idea.
I’ve only been to Roman Catholic and Eastern Orthodox churches which don’t have any music. Only a choir.

Reactions: marks

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I recently visited a non denominational church. It was not a large church, maybe 100 in attendance. Not a lavish building mostly simple except the stage behind the pulpit. The music was contemporary with Colored lights, fog or mist machine. Minus the lyrics you would certainly think you were in a secular music concert. The body language was that of secular artist.
I was not blessed. It was not edifying. I didn't enjoy it. In fact I disliked it. It's not what I expect in worship. Maybe I'm old school. Actually I am old school. Gospel music is going the way of the world.

Ive been to churches like this. This is partly why it took us so long to find a church.

I think a lot of secular artists that didn't make it in the secular market switch to Christian contemporary. It's a business for them and they can make money. But the spiritually discerning can tell and it's not edifying.

Naomanos

Jul 5, 2021
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have no idea.
I’ve only been to Roman Catholic and Eastern Orthodox churches which don’t have any music. Only a choir.

I understand what he's saying as I have been to non-denominational, Baptist and Pentecostal services when I left the Catholic church and it very much can be like a rock concert.

I found that I have a love for the liturgical mass/service and only a choir. If I want to go to a rock concert, I'll go see Chicago play.

David H.

Aug 25, 2020
michigan
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I Am not religious about what kind of music can and cannot be played in church, but I do find the Old Hymns so much more Spiritual and espousing deeper truths than some of the modern stuff.

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Having walked with the Lord for over 47 years now I have seen massive changes in what we call Christian music.

when my sons were growing, I told them if they are going to listen to Chrstian music- if it doesn't bring them into a sense of Worship of God, be careful

I do not care a whit for music style, that is a matter of taste. But I like you have a sense of unease in my soul when worship time is more like a concert at a civic center than before the throne of God!

New generations of believers grew up on this style fo music, and if it draws them closer to teh Lord, I am not against it, but I have reversations that I don't know if they are form god or simply that showmanship is just not my cup of tea.

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Doesn't Eze 28:13 say that Satan was a musician in Heaven?
13 Thou hast been in Eden the garden of God; every precious stone was thy covering, the sardius, topaz, and the diamond, the beryl, the onyx, and the jasper, the sapphire, the emerald, and the carbuncle, and gold: the workmanship of thy tabrets and of thy pipes was prepared in thee in the day that thou wast created.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I mostly agree--too much Vegas Rock and Game Show preaching.

However, I do not think it wrong to do what is common during our times, whether it be fashion, music, or other customs...that is, if it is not rude or crude. Even Jesus participated in what was customary during his times. Moreover, God has used many that are immersed in such professions to minister the gospel. There are some absolutely wonderful songs portraying the gospel that come out of secular music... I have to chuckle when I see those otherwise non-Christians rockin' to songs like Holly Holy, by Neil Diamond :) ...or singing along to lyrics like "the words of the prophets are written on the subways walls.." :)

But, yah, too much Vegas in church--for sure!

Reactions: amadeus

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I do not care a whit for music style, that is a matter of taste. But I like you have a sense of unease in my soul when worship time is more like a concert at a civic center than before the throne of God!

This is it right here. It is actually not so much the music (although that can be a part of it) as it is the PEOPLE PLAYING AND SINGING IT, and this is really the key. Some churches are even hiring professional unsaved musicians to serve on their worship teams. Why? Because it is not about the anointing. They want the best musicians they can get because they are sold out to the megachurch model of church growth: Entertainment, in both the preaching style and the worship. I know this because my wife had some Muslim friends, and one of their sons ended up on the worship team at a faith and prosperity church.

Is he good? Yes. Is he Christian? No. He's still Muslim, and was sent by his parents on trips to Palestine to reinforce his faith in Allah, specifically that he NOT be influenced by the Christian church he was making a living from.

Ever read the book Snakes In The Lobby? It's an extended vision given to a contemporary Christian artist back a decade or so ago, and how God opened his eyes spiritually through a vision at a convention to see just how many demonic spirits had infiltrated into the Christian music industry by that point, and this extends to how worship is still being produced and conducted today.

I once visited a church recommended by a friend, and when I got there it was much the same thing: The "worship" service was really just a performance for the most part. There was very little participation from the congregation; they just sort of watched, with a few of them singing along. And the thing was, the song was good, and the team was playing it well, but they were no more into it than the congregation was. It was a Chris Tomlin song - one I was playing and singing myself at the time - and while some may not like him, the man genuinely loves God and this comes through in his music. When people are leading worship who genuinely love God, that's what makes the difference. They lead people in WORSHIP, they don't just sing and go through the motions. My wife says to this day that many of the people she sees on worship teams look dead, because she was used to seeing me. I was even singing some stuff in churches that was secular but had been converted over by Christians to become worship songs, and I remember singing one of them that would reduce people to tears during worship they were so moved. I cried during worship as well. Some times it messed me up so bad that I couldn't lead for a little bit.

It's not just about the songs or the music. It's about the focus, and that means it is about who is leading the worship, and why.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Some Christian music might indeed have good, God honoring lyrics; this does not mean that it's all equally suitable for general congregational singing.

Faithbuilders

May 16, 2017
Earth
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
why would any Christian artist wish to emulate secular music artist?

Actually, the world emulates Gods music. Everything the devil knows about music, he learned from God. The only real difference is the spirit behind the music. Churches that have "concert style" praise may be reaching out to a different group of people than a church that just does hymens. Paul said,

(1Cor 9:20 [KJV])
And unto the Jews I became as a Jew, that I might gain the Jews; to them that are under the law, as under the law, that I might gain them that are under the law;

(1Cor 9:21 [KJV])
To them that are without law, as without law, (being not without law to God, but under the law to Christ,) that I might gain them that are without law.

(1Cor 9:22 [KJV])
To the weak became I as weak, that I might gain the weak: I am made all things to all men, that I might by all means save some.

To say that for today, in light of this post; it could say.... to the rocker, I am like the rocker, to those that like hymens, I sing hymens.... for whomever I am trying to reach - that is the style of music I play! There are many people that would never set foot in a church that sang hymens, or even normal praise and worship, but would be willing to check out a "rockin" church like this one.

TEXBOW

Jul 8, 2021
Cypress
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Actually, the world emulates Gods music. Everything the devil knows about music, he learned from God. The only real difference is the spirit behind the music. Churches that have "concert style" praise may be reaching out to a different group of people than a church that just does hymens. Paul said,

To say that for today, in light of this post; it could say.... to the rocker, I am like the rocker, to those that like hymens, I sing hymens.... for whomever I am trying to reach - that is the style of music I play! There are many people that would never set foot in a church that sang hymens, or even normal praise and worship, but would be willing to check out a "rockin" church like this one.
There is truth to what you're saying in some cases. If the worship music in any style is of the Spirit then I have no qualms but if the objective is pure entertainment and satisfying the artist's desires to emulate a rock concert or a rapper, I'm not buying. Some are trying to satisfy their own lust for attention. For me, it's obvious when song worship is of the Spirit and when it's not.

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is it right here. It is actually not so much the music (although that can be a part of it) as it is the PEOPLE PLAYING AND SINGING IT, and this is really the key. Some churches are even hiring professional unsaved musicians to serve on their worship teams. Why? Because it is not about the anointing. They want the best musicians they can get because they are sold out to the megachurch model of church growth: Entertainment, in both the preaching style and the worship. I know this because my wife had some Muslim friends, and one of their sons ended up on the worship team at a faith and prosperity church.

Is he good? Yes. Is he Christian? No. He's still Muslim, and was sent by his parents on trips to Palestine to reinforce his faith in Allah, specifically that he NOT be influenced by the Christian church he was making a living from.

Well that is a problem with the spirit and heart of the church and their disobedience to God, not so much style and genre. Once again, I do not like the theatrics. I do not even like the repetition of a chorus over and over and over again. I do not like when musicians go instrumental and do all sorts of great playing. If they are doing it to sell records as Christian entertainment-fine. But to me (and this is my opinion) it has no place in worship time of a bible believing church.

And the fact that that lad is playing at a name it and claim it prosperity church- saysw all that is needed to know about the church.

NewMusic

Sep 13, 2021
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Doesn't Eze 28:13 say that Satan was a musician in Heaven?
13 Thou hast been in Eden the garden of God; every precious stone was thy covering, the sardius, topaz, and the diamond, the beryl, the onyx, and the jasper, the sapphire, the emerald, and the carbuncle, and gold: the workmanship of thy tabrets and of thy pipes was prepared in thee in the day that thou wast created.

Do you see Satan's name anywhere in that chapter? No.

Whose name do you see? That will tell you whom that chapter is addressing.

NewMusic

Sep 13, 2021
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As a composer from God, I could write much in this thread. But I won't.

There's no such thing as Christian music. There's music, and then there may be lyrics. If the lyrics are glorifying to Christ and cause repentance, or praise to God and His Son, you will probably understand that and call it "Christian music", but it really begs the question, "What type of music is really being played?"

People mistakenly call any music that has lyrics about Christ, "Christian music."

But as a musician, I will recognize the style of the music and categorize it as such, such as Jazz, Rock, R&B, Gospel (which that too can be varied), etc.

The music the Holy Spirit gave me back in 1981 is from Him and people can tell something is going on and touching them when they listen. No lyrics. But I speak about Christ both before and after playing. The music is "new" in both meanings -- New to the listener, and new as in a new "style or type" from heaven.

Spiritual music in the truest sense of the word, I believe.

Last edited: