Christian way of burial:

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Truth_Teller

May 9, 2008
What is the Christian way of a burial? Is the system same as in Judaism?

By system I do not mean the rituals performed upon the dead but the way the dead body is laid to rest.

Answers are much appreciated!

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Depends on the church. Catholics believe in burial and cremation, as long as the ashes are buried in the same spot and not spread.

Protestants do not seem to care as long as the remains are given back to God.

biggandyy

I am here to help...
Oct 11, 2011
SWPA
As a Proestant, once I am done with this shell whatever happens to it is no longer any of my concern. My family may do as they please with it.

Foreigner

Apr 14, 2010
I am not too worried about my body. Once my soul heads for heaven if they want to bury me with my butt sticking out of the ground to use as a bike rack, more power to 'em. I could care less.

Reactions: biggandyy

Groundzero

Not Afraid To Stand
Jul 20, 2011
Australia
I reckon you can bury me 6 foot deep in the backyard so a couple of years down the track my ole bones will give some excitement to the neighborhood about the unknown body, but phooey, the government doesn't like that idea . . . :p

biggandyy

I am here to help...
Oct 11, 2011
SWPA
Christian-and-Jewish-Grave-Markers.jpg

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
hmm....

Christianity depends on Judaism...

God wants to be in relationship with His creation....

kensapp

Jul 8, 2012
Singapore
A Christian burial is the burial of a deceased person with specifically Christian ecclesiastical rites; typically, in consecrated ground. Until recent times Christians generally objected to cremation, and practised inhumation almost exclusively, but this opposition has weakened, and now vanished among Protestants. Catholics are now able to be cremated also, and this is rapidly becoming more common, but the Eastern Orthodox churches still mostly forbid it

fichop

Apr 17, 2012
aspen2 said:
Depends on the church. Catholics believe in burial and cremation, as long as the ashes are buried in the same spot and not spread.

Protestants do not seem to care as long as the remains are given back to God.
I agree. I think the rule for burial in Christian life is not that strict. Some choose traditional burial and some choose a lesser costly one, which is the cremation.

biggandyy

I am here to help...
Oct 11, 2011
SWPA
My final instructions are thusly:

Here is a small pile of cash, do with what remains of me as you see fit.

afaithfulone4u

Dec 7, 2012
California
Should I not be worthy of escape and should pass on before he returns, I say there is enough evidence in the Bible for me to say, BURY MY BONES as my fathers of the past were buried. God protects the bones of His own and NONE shall be broken... let along burned. If you look at scripture of the old Testament and even Jesus' & Lazarus' resurrections, they all had their same bones. As did those who came out of their graves at Jesus' resurrection who are the fulfillment of Ezek.37.
Bones are mentions 99 times in the Bible and buried is mentioned 106 times as we see in just a few of the examples.
Ps 34:19-20
19 Many are the afflictions of the righteous: but the LORD delivereth him out of them all.
20 He keepeth all his bones: not one of them is broken.
KJV

2 Kings 13:21
21 And it came to pass, as they were burying a man, that, behold, they spied a band of men; and they cast the man into the sepulchre of Elisha: and when the man was let down, and touched the bones of Elisha, he revived, and stood up on his feet.
KJV
Gen 50:25
25 And Joseph took an oath of the children of Israel, saying, God will surely visit you, and ye shall carry up my bones from hence.
KJV
Ex 13:19
19 And Moses took the bones of Joseph with him: for he had straitly sworn the children of Israel, saying, God will surely visit you; and ye shall carry up my bones away hence with you.
KJV
2 Sam 21:14
14 And the bones of Saul and Jonathan his son buried they in the country of Benjamin in Zelah, in the sepulchre of Kish his father: and they performed all that the king commanded. And after that God was intreated for the land.
KJV

Ezek 37:1-6
37:1 The hand of the LORD was upon me, and carried me out in the spirit of the LORD, and set me down in the midst of the valley which was full of bones,
2 And caused me to pass by them round about: and, behold, there were very many in the open valley; and, lo, they were very dry.
3 And he said unto me, Son of man, can these bones live? And I answered, O Lord GOD, thou knowest.
4 Again he said unto me, Prophesy upon these bones, and say unto them, O ye dry bones, hear the word of the LORD.
5 Thus saith the Lord GOD [{JESUS IN THE OLD TESTAMENT} unto these bones; Behold, I will cause breath to enter into you, and ye shall live:
6 And I will lay sinews upon you, and will bring up flesh upon you, and cover you with skin, and put breath {SPIRIT}in you, and ye shall live; and ye shall know that I am the LORD.
KJV
Gen 15:15
15 And thou shalt go to thy fathers in peace; thou shalt be buried in a good old age.
KJV

Gen 25:9-10
9 And his sons Isaac and Ishmael buried him in the cave of Machpelah, in the field of Ephron the son of Zohar the Hittite, which is before Mamre;
10 The field which Abraham purchased of the sons of Heth: there was Abraham buried, and Sarah his wife.
KJV
Gen 35:19-20
19 And Rachel died, and was buried in the way to Ephrath, which is Bethlehem.
20 And Jacob set a pillar upon her grave: that is the pillar of Rachel's grave unto this day.
KJV
Gen 35:29-36:1
29 And Isaac gave up the ghost, and died, and was gathered unto his people, being old and full of days: and his sons Esau and Jacob buried him.
KJV
Gen 49:31
31 There they buried Abraham and Sarah his wife; there they buried Isaac and Rebekah his wife; and there I buried Leah.
KJV
Deut 10:6
6 And the children of Israel took their journey from Beeroth of the children of Jaakan to Mosera: there Aaron died, and there he was buried; and Eleazar his son ministered in the priest's office in his stead.
KJV
1 Kings 2:10
10 So David slept with his fathers, and was buried in the city of David.
KJV
1 Kings 11:43
43 And Solomon slept with his fathers, and was buried in the city of David his father: and Rehoboam his son reigned in his stead.
KJV

Blessing