Christianity and the Death Penalty in America

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Is the Death Penalty compatible with Christianity?

Is the Death Penalty just compensation for heinous crimes?

Should we put children to death for heinous crimes? Mentally ill? Cognitively impaired?

I do have an opinion about this issue so I will be upfront:

1. I do not believe that the death penalty in America is just - too much class-ism and too much racism in our justice system to risk ending an innocent life.
2. I recognize that the Bible does not condemn putting criminals to death, however it does promote restraint.
3. I do believe that a pro-death penalty / anti-abortion stance is often perceived as hypocritical by nonbelievers.
4. I strongly believe that treating children like adults does more to promote pedophilia than legalizing gay marriage. Think about it - if a child can be put to death or serve in a war, it opens the door to the idea that they can consent to sex with an adult - this is a great evil.

Comments?

Selene

Apr 12, 2010
In my house

Should we put children to death for heinous crimes? Mentally ill? Cognitively impaired?

1. I do not believe that the death penalty in America is just - too much class-ism and too much racism in our justice system to risk ending an innocent life.
2. I recognize that the Bible does not condemn putting criminals to death, however it does promote restraint.
3. I do believe that a pro-death penalty / anti-abortion stance is often perceived as hypocritical by nonbelievers.
4. I strongly believe that treating children like adults does more to promote pedophilia than legalizing gay marriage. Think about it - if a child can be put to death or serve in a war, it opens the door to the idea that they can consent to sex with an adult - this is a great evil.

Comments?

My answer to the three questions above is "no."

archaeologist5

Mar 3, 2011
look for the *********

*******it is as it is part of God's justice

********i think you would need to follow God's instructions when He allowed the death penalty and use the wisdom he gives freely to apply it properly

********I think one should use the wisdom that God grants freely to all men to decide such issues.

******That is a problem of personal view not a determination of whether the act is right or wrong.

*******of course one should temper their decisions by using scripture--'do unto others...' is a great guideline here.

*****again, both should be tempered by the knowledge that one is a punishment for a crime and the other is the demise of an innocent child.

**********the undermining of the juvenile court system, as corrupt as it is, removes mercy, second chances, justice from the lives of children who do not always know the consequences of their actions because t.v. shows and movies distort the reality of life. you error in the comment that a 18 year old is a child. they are not. in fact, an injustice has been done by the secular world by adding 7 years to childhood.

Comments?

prosecutors want convictions not the truth or justice nor mercy. such an attitude conveys the message to people that it doesn't matter what you do, you will always be punished.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
********i think you would need to follow God's instructions when He allowed the death penalty and use the wisdom he gives freely to apply it properly

So, since the US government does not follow God's instructions, does it lack the moral authority to carry out a death sentence?

********I think one should use the wisdom that God grants freely to all men to decide such issues.

So, since God has given you the wisdom, what is your opinion?
[font="'Book Antiqua"]
[/font]

******That is a problem of personal view not a determination of whether the act is right or wrong.

Indeed. That is why I called it my opinion.

**********the undermining of the juvenile court system, as corrupt as it is, removes mercy, second chances, justice from the lives of children who do not always know the consequences of their actions because t.v. shows and movies distort the reality of life. you error in the comment that a 18 year old is a child. they are not. in fact, an injustice has been done by the secular world by adding 7 years to childhood.

Actually, I know the legal age of a child and the legal age of an adult. I am talking about children, therefore people under the age of 18. During the past twenty years or so, the US has been struggling with sentencing children as adults - so I am asking for peopl's opinions on the topic.

prosecutors want convictions not the truth or justice nor mercy. such an attitude conveys the message to people that it doesn't matter what you do, you will always be punished.

So what are the ramifications of this incompetence have on the Death Penalty in America?

Selene

Apr 12, 2010
In my house

So, since the US government does not follow God's instructions, does it lack the moral authority to carry out a death sentence?

I don't think God allowed the government to pass the death penalty. I believe in God's justice, but God's justice is perfect. Man's justice is always imperfect, which is the reason why in the judicial system, sometimes an innocent person will be sentence to jail and the guilty would be set free.

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Genesis 9:6
Whoever sheds the blood of man, by man shall his blood be shed, for God made man in his own image.

I think the Bible is clear elsewhere on manslaughter and lesser charges as well as sanctuary cities. It was also a requirement for at least two witnesses (Numbers 35:30-31). It gets frustrating, but I think the problem is not so much racism (which works both ways - I've seen skin color get people out of crimes, like it or not as well as hang them [figuratively speaking] for it - either way it's not right.) I think the problem is the justice system because, like any of man's words, it becomes about man's words. I have a job where I deal with the law on a daily basis and that's how it works. It's not the law, it's the words. Sort of gives you insight into what God meant in Hosea 6:6 at times.

To answer your questions directly:

1) Yes, absolutely.
2) I'd say it's more that the Bible had a set of very clear rules - 2 witnesses, not one - etc. Restraint comes built into the Biblical system - as does much grace. For example, when I say I am for the death penalty, the idea is to polarize it and say I want to kill everyone who kills based on the Bible. I don't view the person (although clearly in the wrong) who gets into a bar fight and kills the other drunk guy in a drunken stupor as the same way I would view a serial killer. That's how the Biblical law works.
3) Well, the world likes the idea of rehabilitation. However, being a Christian doesn't always jive with the world and that is just a reality of being a follower of Christ. I perceive it's hypocritical to kill innocent life and preserve evil malice.
4) This is one of the great, great evils of our society. We glamorize kids that no longer have a childhood as idols (think pop stars, actors/actresses, etc.) We give them video games that simulate adult decisions - fighting, drugs, killing, etc. What do we expect? Treat them like adults and they will use their child-like reasoning and abilites to function as adults. It's an epidemic.

Isaiah 3:4
Then he will appoint children to rule over them, and anarchy will prevail.

I've felt the above verse predicted this. I don't take it so much literally as we've let all of these young idols tell us what to do and who to be. In a way we no longer go after the fashion of the aristocrats and kings, we follow what the celebs do.

archaeologist5

Mar 3, 2011
I've felt the above verse predicted this. I don't take it so much literally as we've let all of these young idols tell us what to do and who to be. In a way we no longer go after the fashion of the aristocrats and kings, we follow what the celebs do.

i related that more to america telling the older countries of the world what to do and wo to be. america is 300 years old, a mere child in comparison say to china, 5,000; britain, 2,000 or more, israel, egypt, syria, over 5,000 and so on.

since God has given you the wisdom, what is your opinion?

i may have the wisdom but i am not in the position to decide such matters. taking a life, even for a crime is a heavy responsibility and demands more than a yes or no answer. i would err on not putting them to death simply for the reason i would not want their deaths on my hands.

Actually, I know the legal age of a child and the legal age of an adult. I am talking about children, therefore people under the age of 18. During the past twenty years or so, the US has been struggling with sentencing children as adults - so I am asking for peopl's opinions on the topic.

sorry but the age of children stops at 12 not 18. i will disagree with any government who says differently. prosecutors want convictions and want to be seen doing their jobs thus they have ignored the juvenile system, undermined its authority and function to achieve the results they want. when you do that, you have no justice. there should be no struggle as as the systems are in place to handle the problems.

since the US government does not follow God's instructions, does it lack the moral authority to carry out a death sentence?

unfortunately no though one could say yes as well. God ha sgiven nations the right to rule themselves and the ability of free choice to follow His ways or not. if they choose not to God has not removed their right to govern their own people, which is why you need true moral christians to be the light to the world declaring what is the right thng to do and NOT done in the anti-abortion way but God's.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
i related that more to america telling the older countries of the world what to do and wo to be. america is 300 years old, a mere child in comparison say to china, 5,000; britain, 2,000 or more, israel, egypt, syria, over 5,000 and so on.

I think Hammerstone's and your interpretations are both interesting.

sorry but the age of children stops at 12 not 18. i will disagree with any government who says differently. prosecutors want convictions and want to be seen doing their jobs thus they have ignored the juvenile system, undermined its authority and function to achieve the results they want. when you do that, you have no justice. there should be no struggle as as the systems are in place to handle the problems.

The problem is their brains are not completely formed until they are 25.

unfortunately no though one could say yes as well. God ha sgiven nations the right to rule themselves and the ability of free choice to follow His ways or not. if they choose not to God has not removed their right to govern their own people, which is why you need true moral christians to be the light to the world declaring what is the right thng to do and NOT done in the anti-abortion way but God's.

Interesting.

Foreigner

Apr 14, 2010
Not a big fan of O'Reilly, but he had a suggestion that, at first glance, sounds more than reasonable to me.

Instead of the death penalty people should be sent to a very uncomfortable place and spend the rest of their lives doing hard labor.

Some of the reasons - I believe, at least - that the death penalty does nothing to deter capital crimes is because:
- You know that even if you are conviced, you could have 20+ years of appeals that would leave you alive for decades to come.
- The law might change and the sentences of those on death row could be commuted meaning you may still see freedom.
- A sympathetic or overly liberal judge could end up commuting your sentence.
- Mistakes could be found during your trial that could lead to acquittal and since you can't be charged twice for the same crime...

But if a person knew that 5-6 days a week they were going to end up doing heavy labor (read: Hard Work) instead of lounging in your cell watching TV, writing letters, listening to music, etc. that would deter many, I believe.

Especially if this work is going to be done outside and is mainly manual labor.

Give the prisoner some priviledges but make them aware they can lose those priviledges if they do not cooperate.

Now some here will say that is cruel, but it sure beats being dead. I am sure their victims would agree.

The other benefit of this is that IF the person WAS wrongly convicted, they will be alive to be set free and to receive compensation.

No more "DNA Apologies" to those who were executed only to have it shown later they were innocent.

veteran

Aug 6, 2010
Southeast USA
The Christian doctrinal stance on this matter is per Apostle Paul...

1 Tim 1:8-11
8 But we know that the law is good, if a man use it lawfully;
9 Knowing this, that the law is not made for a righteous man, but for the lawless and disobedient, for the ungodly and for sinners, for unholy and profane, for murderers of fathers and murderers of mothers, for manslayers,
10 For whoremongers, for them that defile themselves with mankind, for menstealers, for liars, for perjured persons, and if there be any other thing that is contrary to sound doctrine;
11 According to the glorious gospel of the blessed God, which was committed to my trust.
(KJV)

Christ did not do away with those things in God's law. And that's why Apostle Paul reiterates them there to Timothy under the New Covenant. For those who disagree with Apostle Paul on that, they place themselves OUTSIDE Christian Doctrine on the matter.

It's like Hammerstone showed. God's law covers the various conditions and penalties for those transgressions. And God's law is good IF a man use it lawfully (legitimately) like Apostle Paul says.

Argument that capital punishment doesn't work originates from a liberal mindset that aligns with those who want to destroy society through anarchy. An anarchist is one that doesn't believe there should be any law. Anarchy produces chaos, revolution, and lawlessness, which is exactly what the devil is about.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Christian doctrinal stance on this matter is per Apostle Paul...

1 Tim 1:8-11
8 But we know that the law is good, if a man use it lawfully;
9 Knowing this, that the law is not made for a righteous man, but for the lawless and disobedient, for the ungodly and for sinners, for unholy and profane, for murderers of fathers and murderers of mothers, for manslayers,
10 For whoremongers, for them that defile themselves with mankind, for menstealers, for liars, for perjured persons, and if there be any other thing that is contrary to sound doctrine;
11 According to the glorious gospel of the blessed God, which was committed to my trust.
(KJV)

Christ did not do away with those things in God's law. And that's why Apostle Paul reiterates them there to Timothy under the New Covenant. For those who disagree with Apostle Paul on that, they place themselves OUTSIDE Christian Doctrine on the matter.

It's like Hammerstone showed. God's law covers the various conditions and penalties for those transgressions. And God's law is good IF a man use it lawfully (legitimately) like Apostle Paul says.

Argument that capital punishment doesn't work originates from a liberal mindset that aligns with those who want to destroy society through anarchy. An anarchist is one that doesn't believe there should be any law. Anarchy produces chaos, revolution, and lawlessness, which is exactly what the devil is about.

So, any disagreement is a position of anarchy?

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Any disagreement with the law disagrees with God because the laws that are have been ordained by God

Any chance the laws are flexible enough for growth? We are a lot different today from the desert nomads of the OT - the HS has been sanctifying the hearts of the faithful for two thousand years - it has to have made a positive impact on the world, right?

Butch5

Butch5
Oct 24, 2009
Homer Ga.

Comments?

No, the death penalty is not compatible with Christianity.

th1b.taylor

Dec 4, 2010
SE Texas
First and right up front, you folks should pay attention to what Web Maser has posted! I notice the same sin in this string that always rears it's ugly head when the Death Penalty is discussed, opinions and lines of thought that lend themselves to Anarchy! In the Bible, that is the first 39 books and not the Life Application Commentary, the New Testament, God left us with a perfect Word Picture of Himself, the Ten Commandments! If all of these New Testament Christians begin to allow the Holy Spirit to lead their lives they wilo begin to be taught the truth. (There is no such animal as a New Testament Christian!) Everybody seems to understand that we are to model our lives after Jesus, God in the flesh of a man. You have, as a people, missed the truth of who Jesus is! In John 1:1-3 we learn that Jesus, God's only Begotten Son, is the God of the Bible/Old Testament. Not only is the scripturally correct answer YES, if you refuse to accept that answer, you are in rebellion against God.

Butch5

Butch5
Oct 24, 2009
Homer Ga.
First and right up front, you folks should pay attention to what Web Maser has posted! I notice the same sin in this string that always rears it's ugly head when the Death Penalty is discussed, opinions and lines of thought that lend themselves to Anarchy! In the Bible, that is the first 39 books and not the Life Application Commentary, the New Testament, God left us with a perfect Word Picture of Himself, the Ten Commandments! If all of these New Testament Christians begin to allow the Holy Spirit to lead their lives they wilo begin to be taught the truth. (There is no such animal as a New Testament Christian!) Everybody seems to understand that we are to model our lives after Jesus, God in the flesh of a man. You have, as a people, missed the truth of who Jesus is! In John 1:1-3 we learn that Jesus, God's only Begotten Son, is the God of the Bible/Old Testament. Not only is the scripturally correct answer YES, if you refuse to accept that answer, you are in rebellion against God.

Actually Bill, while God did institute it, it is not the place of the Christians to deal with it, it is God's. Jesus has made clear the commands that are to be followed under the New Covenant.

veteran

Aug 6, 2010
Southeast USA
Actually, our Lord Jesus and His Apostles did not do away with God's law against murder. And that of course means the judgments against murder also in God's law.

Matt 19:17-19
17 And He said unto him, "Why callest thou Me good? there is none good but one, That is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments."
18 He saith unto Him, "Which?" Jesus said, "Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness,
19 Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself."
(KJV)

religusnut

Oct 19, 2010
Actually, our Lord Jesus and His Apostles did not do away with God's law against murder. And that of course means the judgments against murder also in God's law.

Matt 19:17-19
17 And He said unto him, "Why callest thou Me good? there is none good but one, That is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments."
18 He saith unto Him, "Which?" Jesus said, "Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness,
19 Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself."
(KJV)

That is exactly right. People want to point out the fact of not being under the law. Truth is the Law that Jesus fulfilled was the Ceremonial Law of the blood sprinklings, spattering...... Murder is still murder and the punishment for murder as is outlined in the Bible should be the law. Rape and other crimes should be the same way. If these things were punished as they should be we would have a whole lot less criminals and a whole lot less prisons to maintain. We would live in a much safer society. God put laws in place to protect people and when we have people that refuse to obey them we all pay a price for them.

streetsinger

Mar 14, 2011
As Christians, should we be involving ourselves in world affairs? we are, after all, citizens of the kingdom of heaven and there is no death penalty in the Kingdom of heaven. Surely our commision isn't to try and change a doomed world but to bring people out into the Kingdom of Heaven.

Comments?

As Christians should we be involving ourselves in world affairs? We are citizens of the Kingdom of heaven and there is no death penalty in our kingdom. Our calling isn't to try and change Satans world, it's to bring people out of it into ours.