Christianity is fundamentally anti-critical thinking and the U.S. is not a Christian nation

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Animal2692

Apr 22, 2022
Denver
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Some people will say I'm making a gross overgeneralization and come up with all sorts of tidbits and details as to why Christianity is complementary with science and critical thinking. However, most if not all of those reasons are superficial at the end of the day (if not straight up lies) and they ultimately hold no water. Christianity discourages skepticism, you are not supposed to use your brain at full capacity under the guise "of having faith". It is a statistical fact that education is associated with an increased chance of a loss of faith. I hear all these apologetics talk and they're essentially rationalizing against critical thinking. If you ask too many questions, you cannot be Christian in the end for the simple reason that one must come to a point where the questions stop completely, you effectively become intellectually lazy. If you keep asking questions, you end up being told that a true Christian doesn't question the authority of God, for example. There are so many controversial verses in the Bible (such as Romans 13 where one must obey the government since God put it there) that one must come up with all these copes and rationalizations for each one in particular in order to uphold their core beliefs.

The second issue is the idea that the U.S. is a Christian nation. This is a problem because it closes the separation between church & state. In 1797, the Senate ratified the Treaty of Tripoli, which declares that “the Government of the United States of America is not in any sense founded on the Christian religion.” And "In God We Trust" was only added to U.S. currency in 1956 which is fairly recent in American history. Sure there are many Christians in the U.S. and even some of the founding fathers were Christian, but by no means does that make the U.S. a Christian nation.

People often confuse "You're not listening to me" with "You're not agreeing with me". I've got some very hard core Christian family members who tell me that I'm "Just fighting the truth". But this is all a mere projection of them giving up on using their brains. They have admitted to asking questions at one point...but they ultimately had to stop. Critical thinking and skepticism thrives on asking questions, they've stunted their own mental growth.

Last edited:

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Who said Christianity has to be complementary with human-based science? As it is still a maturing field of inquiry and discovery. Most of science is based on models that does not capture the complete picture of the material or immaterial world and its extent. It is a work still in progress.

Define critical thinking? And then is this type of thought carnal based or spirit based? And of of course if you believer we have a spirit that is separate from our material body and even our brain that acts as a processor and a part storage unit of thoughts. The rest of our memory goes to the invisible spirit realm, the place where we can experience our Creator, that science can never understand or critically think its way into. Science is a discipline that is man-made and limited in capacity to even know of a Creator. In fact it cannot know of a creator by design.

Then what is your point that the US never was formally or official called a Christian nation? It that important as compared with the actual people who lived with the spiritual outlook and their life according to the Bible. Not as many today as before for sure.

Animal2692

Apr 22, 2022
Denver
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Who said Christianity has to be complementary with human-based science? As it is still a maturing field of inquiry and discovery. Most of science is based on models that does not capture the complete picture of the material or immaterial world and its extent. It is a work still in progress.

Define critical thinking? And then is this type of thought carnal based or spirit based? And of of course if you believer we have a spirit that is separate from our material body and even our brain that acts as a processor and a part storage unit of thoughts. The rest of our memory goes to the invisible spirit realm, the place where we can experience our Creator, that science can never understand or critically think its way into. Science is a discipline that is man-made and limited in capacity to even know of a Creator. In fact it cannot know of a creator by design.

Then what is your point that the US never was formally or official called a Christian nation? It that important as compared with the actual people who lived with the spiritual outlook and their life according to the Bible. Not as many today as before for sure.

Well many people use Christinaity as the basis of their political ideology and decisions which defeats the whole purpose of the seperation of church and state. Many attempt to justify it by claiming the U.S. is a Christian nation and that they are some how under attack, a dying breed. This is largely victimization when there are legitimate reasons for the decline of faith such as education.

Science is a work in progress, but at least it's humble enough to actually experiment by putting hypotheses to the test and calling theories for what they are: theories. It's only going to get worse for Christianity 1000 years from now with the ongoing advances science is making. Even if science doesn't have all the answers, it has proved to contributed much more to humanity than religion ever has.

Critical thinking is closely associated with skepticism. To say that, "Oh, the creator transcends all critical thinking" is meaningless, it's word salad. If I can't know the creator through critical thinking, then so be it. Even more reason to focus on what's pragmatic and discard what's of no use. People just overcomplicate life and create hell by trying to do the impossible because they're insecure and afraid of the unknown deep down.

Who cares what happens after death when you haven't even gotten around to living this life fully

Last edited:

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well many people use Christinaity as the basis of their political ideology and decisions which defeats the whole purpose of the seperation of church and state. Many attempt to justify it by claiming the U.S. is a Christian nation and that they are some how under attack, a dying breed. This is largely victimization when there are legitimate reasons for the decline of faith such as education.

Science is a work in progress, but at least it's humble enough to actually experiment by putting hypotheses to the test and calling theories for what they are: theories. It's only going to get worse for Christianity 1000 years from now with the ongoing advances science is making. Even if science doesn't have all the answers, it has proved to contributed much more to humanity than religion ever has.

Critical thinking is closely associated with skepticism. To say that, "Oh, the creator transcends all critical thinking" is meaningless, it's word salad. If I can't know the creator through critical thinking, then so be it. Even more reason to focus on what's pragmatic and discard what's of no use. People just overcomplicate life and create hell by trying to do the impossible because they're insecure and afraid of the unknown deep down.

Who cares what happens after death when you haven't even gotten around to living this life fully
We definitely have a difference in the meaning of life here, in this world, and the next. I personally cannot wait for the next life.

If you are interested in knowing a bit about this next life from a believer's perspective of knowing the Father creator and his son then I'm all ears to listen to all you have to say, and then give what I know...thanks

You might find it interesting to know a little more about how your heart works and not just your mind, and how they relate to each other. You won't find this type of course taught in any science or political class either.

Dropship

Jun 2, 2022
Plymouth UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
...I've got some very hard core Christian family members who tell me that I'm "Just fighting the truth"..

No offence but as an unbeliever you don't know what the truth is..:)
Jesus said- "..Everyone on the side of truth listens to me.” (John 18:37)
By contrast, your family have got Jesus inside their heads like all Christians and are therefore not spiritually blind.

PS- you suggested the U.S. is not a Christian nation, but that's debatable, check this-
All astronauts had science training but still had an open-minded religious outlook.
On Christmas Eve 1968 the crew of Apollo 8 quoted from Genesis as they orbited the moon- "We are now approaching lunar sunrise and, for all the people back on Earth, the crew of Apollo 8 has a message that we would like to send to you- "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth..."

"God bless you"
-Neil Armstrong in TV broadcast from Apollo 11 thanking the spacecraft builders and technicians

John Glenn (astronaut) once said from space- "To look out at this kind of creation out here and not believe in God is to me impossible, it just strengthens my faith"

Astronaut Roger Chaffee said of the view of Earth- "The world itself looks cleaner and so much more beautiful. Maybe we can make it that way, the way God intended it to be"

Armstrong and Aldrin left a plaque on the moon inscribed with "Here men from the planet Earth first set foot upon the Moon. July 1969 AD". (AD of course means 'year of our lord')

apollo-11-plaque.jpg

Last edited:

Animal2692

Apr 22, 2022
Denver
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
No offence but as an unbeliever you don't know what the truth is..:)
Jesus said- "..Everyone on the side of truth listens to me.” (John 18:37)
By contrast, your family have got Jesus inside their heads like all Christians and are therefore not spiritually blind.

You're right they're not spiritually blind. They're spiritually narcissistic who think they know the absolute truth. Whatever Jesus said is just his own perspective. Truth is relative, there's no absolute truth. It varies from person to person, who am I to declare what the ultimate truth is? There's some degree of truth to whatever is said, but none of it is THE truth. Religious folks in particular are afraid of relativism deep down. Instead they want to be special and unique snowflakes that their God loves them. It's comical

I'd rather not sit here and be a narcissistic bigot like some of my family members are. They think they're so sanctimonious and morally superior because they read the Bible. Clowns is what they are. They shun any logic and form of critical thinking because they can't stand on their two feet so they need someone to tell them what to think

They're so spiritually woke they get mad over the pettiest things. SO much peace that Bible gives them. I constantly remind them how they should just put the Bible down because of how hypocritical they are

Last edited:

Dropship

Jun 2, 2022
Plymouth UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
..some of my family members..think they're so sanctimonious and morally superior because they read the Bible. Clowns is what they are. They shun any logic and form of critical thinking because they can't stand on their two feet so they need someone to tell them what to think

Speaking of logic and critical thinking, Jesus said-
"I am not of this world ....though you do not believe me, believe the miracles.....I'll tell you things hidden since the creation of the world" (John 8:23,John 10:38,Matt 13:35)
So technically he was an alien visitor with superpowers and isn't it therefore illogical and unscientific for anybody not to listen to what he had to say?
How about it Spock?

"Affirmative, I'm all ears"
st-Spock-ears.jpg

Reactions: Lambano

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Christianity is fundamentally anti-critical thinking and the U.S. is not a Christian nation.
OP ^

US Constitution Signed the 17th day of September in the year of Our Lord...

What “Lord” were they talking about?

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Truth is relative, there's no absolute truth

Is that true?
Playing with words, but if it is true there is no absolute truth, how can that statement be true.

I am sorry you are among people who cannot answer your questions about faith and Christianity.
May I suggest reading Christian blogs like reasonablefaith, coldcasechristianity and wintery knight. They all seek to look at the truth.

You can always post questions here to see what answers people come up with.
You could also ask your peoples minister what he makes of the biblical command in 1 Peter 3: 15 But in your hearts revere Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect, 16 keeping a clear conscience, so that those who speak maliciously against your good behavior in Christ may be ashamed of their slander.

Not it says to give a ' reason', so challenge him for his unbiblical belief that faith is all you need!

Lifelong_sinner

Sep 21, 2021
Somewhere in time
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Truth is not relative. Truth is definite, factual, and absolute. And the truth is, God is real, we are sinners, our day of judgement is closer at hand.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is a statistical fact that education is associated with an increased chance of a loss of faith.

LoL. That's because secular academia is riddled from top to bottom with atheists, humanists and rationalists. No chance of anyone losing their faith in that environment, for sure LoL.

But hey, it's all worth it right? :)

wpid-funny-student-graduation-.jpg

funny-photos-of-funny-graduation-caps-decorated-graduation-caps-hope-bs-pays-off.jpg

Reactions: Episkopos

Dropship

Jun 2, 2022
Plymouth UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
..secular academia is riddled from top to bottom with atheists, humanists and rationalists..

Yes, all filling kids heads with worldly nonsense like "You've got to make something of your life in this world, and have money, a nice house and nice car etc, it's the only life you've got, otherwise you're a failure".
Perhaps this indoctrination and brainwashing triggers some kids to go on school shooting sprees because they feel worthless thinking they'll never make the grade.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, all filling kids heads with worldly nonsense like "You've got to make something of your life in this world, and have money, a nice house and nice car etc, it's the only life you've got, otherwise you're a failure".

Perhaps this indoctrination and brainwashing triggers some kids to go on school shooting sprees because they feel worthless thinking they'll never make the grade.

It might be a little rough pinning it all solely on academia, but yes. In general, the secular mindset that this life is "all there is" is most certainly contributing to it. The unsaved and ungodly are placing their hope in exactly the wrong place, and there are about to be multitudes who get hit square in the face with that realization. At this point in history, the systems the world once depended on are about to start going off the cliff in a raging lemming march.

The question is, how many will wake up from their delusion soon enough not to go over the edge, economically, psychologically, emotionally, spiritually, or in any other way under the sun trying to cope.

But mankind's true Hope has always been in Jesus Christ and Jesus Christ alone, so the sooner they finally wake up to that truth, the better.

Dropship

Jun 2, 2022
Plymouth UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
It might be a little rough pinning it all solely on academia, but yes. In general, the secular mindset that this life is "all there is" is most certainly contributing to it..

And even many parents are responsible for pressuring their kids too, many of us have been through it.
When I left school I hadn't got a job to go to, so my dad would hammer on my bedroom door at the crack of dawn yelling "Get out of bed and look for a job, they're crying out for people at the glue factory!"
But I didn't feel it was my calling so just thought "oh stick it" and turned over and went back to sleep.
My mother was just as bad, she used to say "All the neighbours are talking saying you're workshy, when are you going to get a job?"

Reactions: Hidden In Him

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And even many parents are responsible for pressuring their kids too, many of us have been through it.
When I left school I hadn't got a job to go to, so my dad would hammer on my bedroom door at the crack of dawn yelling "Get out of bed and look for a job, they're crying out for people at the glue factory!"
But I didn't feel it was my calling so just thought "oh stick it" and turned over and went back to sleep.
My mother was just as bad, she used to say "All the neighbours are talking saying you're workshy, when are you going to get a job?"

I'm all for kids finding a job and making an honest living, I just don't think that's what their self-worth should be based on, or what they should be living for. I've been working at insignificant jobs my whole life yet have always been fully provided for, because my self-worth was never tied to my job anyway, and my purpose was in serving the Lord not the Almighty dollar.

As a result I am blessed, and don't have a care in the world, even as I watch this train wreck of an economy now heading straight for financial Armageddon, LoL.

UnimportantLastingAchillestang-size_restricted.gif

Last edited:

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm all for kids finding a job and making an honest living, I just don't think that's what their self-worth should be based on, or what they should be living for. I've been working at insignificant jobs my whole life, yet have always been fully provided for, because my self-worth was never tied to my job anyway, and my purpose was in serving the Lord, not the Almighty dollar.

As a result, I am blessed, and don't have a care in the world, even as I watch this train wreck of an economy now heading straight for financial Armageddon, LoL.

UnimportantLastingAchillestang-size_restricted.gif
My daughter and I were just discussing gas prices...she asked me where I was and I said at the QT getting gold...I mean gas...for my car...lol.
She said she just filled up as well and it was over 50 dollars. Then she started sharing where they were cutting certain things to balance their budget.
I said yes, I don't know what I can cut...then I stopped and said HEY....wait a minute....I am not going to do this worry stuff....God is my source and He supplies my EVERY need.
So that was the end of that subject. Lol

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Truth is relative, there's no absolute truth.
And you charge Christians as lacking critical thinking?

"There's no absolute truth", is that an absolute statement? If falls apart immediately. Can you admit the reality of this?

Much love!

Reactions: Jim B

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
My daughter and I were just discussing gas prices...she asked me where I was and I said at the QT getting gold...I mean gas...for my car...lol.
She said she just filled up as well and it was over 50 dollars. Then she started sharing where they were cutting certain things to balance their budget.
I said yes, I don't know what I can cut...then I stopped and said HEY....wait a minute....I am not going to do this worry stuff....God is my source and He supplies my EVERY need.
So that was the end of that subject. Lol
@Heart2Soul Yes, simple, child-like trust is fundamental and basic, right? :) Proverbs 3.5-6

Reactions: Heart2Soul

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Some people will say I'm making a gross overgeneralization and come up with all sorts of tidbits and details as to why Christianity is complementary with science and critical thinking. However, most if not all of those reasons are superficial at the end of the day (if not straight up lies) and they ultimately hold no water. Christianity discourages skepticism, you are not supposed to use your brain at full capacity under the guise "of having faith". It is a statistical fact that education is associated with an increased chance of a loss of faith. I hear all these apologetics talk and they're essentially rationalizing against critical thinking. If you ask too many questions, you cannot be Christian in the end for the simple reason that one must come to a point where the questions stop completely, you effectively become intellectually lazy. If you keep asking questions, you end up being told that a true Christian doesn't question the authority of God, for example. There are so many controversial verses in the Bible (such as Romans 13 where one must obey the government since God put it there) that one must come up with all these copes and rationalizations for each one in particular in order to uphold their core beliefs.

The second issue is the idea that the U.S. is a Christian nation. This is a problem because it closes the separation between church & state. In 1797, the Senate ratified the Treaty of Tripoli, which declares that “the Government of the United States of America is not in any sense founded on the Christian religion.” And "In God We Trust" was only added to U.S. currency in 1956 which is fairly recent in American history. Sure there are many Christians in the U.S. and even some of the founding fathers were Christian, but by no means does that make the U.S. a Christian nation.

People often confuse "You're not listening to me" with "You're not agreeing with me". I've got some very hard core Christian family members who tell me that I'm "Just fighting the truth". But this is all a mere projection of them giving up on using their brains. They have admitted to asking questions at one point...but they ultimately had to stop. Critical thinking and skepticism thrives on asking questions, they've stunted their own mental growth.

What makes Christendom (not real Christianity which is spiritual in nature) anti-critical thinking is that it is based on a dogmatic ideology based on human certainty....rather than on faith. To realize that biblical faith has nothing to do with beliefs is the first step in critical thinking.

The West likes ideology. What goes down easy and fills the pews is not what's good for it. Saved by beliefs? Adopting ready-made creeds to be memorized? Not allowing people to question teachings in the meetings?

Men have not been faithful in their attempt to perpetuate an ecclesiastical equivalent to the Church of God. There is no equivalent to an eternal life.

Last edited: