Christianity: What It Really Is

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

SillySeth

Dec 7, 2007
I just came home from an hour to two and half hour prayer meeting, I feel compelled to write some stuff down. In this prayer meeting, I really felt like God was moving and pushing me to something new. I feel like many times, people view Christianity as a religion. I can understand why some people think this, but in my personal opinion, Christianity is not a religion. This idea has become a major problem in America. As Americans we try to make everything simple, everything compartmentalized. But Christianity is not something a person can put in a box. Christianity is not something I do on Sunday, or Wednesday, or Friday. No… Christianity is having a relationship with Jesus Christ. Christianity is a day by day, hour by hour, minute by minute way of living.I am not religious, but I am a follower of Jesus Christ. I do not believe in religion, but I do believe in a real, authentic relationship with Jesus Christ. Yes, it is this that I thrive and live off of. I go to church on Sundays and attend church events because I want to fellowship with people who also have this kind of relationship. I do not go to church to be religious or to put my two cents towards God. That is not what church is about!I really feel that people, in today’s society; especially in America; have lost touch of the real reason and purpose of Christianity. The idea/view of Christianity has changed and I think it is wrong. Christianity is about a relationship; not about saying a certain prayer, or attending every church service, or following all the rules. Yes… many Christians do these things, but it is because of their relationship with Christ that they do these things. We’ve turned it all around. Having a relationship with Christ motivates us to do these things. These are not the things that save us or get us to heaven. During prayer tonight, I felt like God was leading me to a new place; a new kind of relationship, a new kind of Christianity. I feel like God is wanting to move in a new way in America, in our lives. God isn’t looking for Sunday school answer believers; He is looking for people who want to know Him; people who want to serve Him; people who want to worship Him; people who want to live for Him because of what He did when He sent His Son to die for us. I feel like God is beginning to move in a new way and He wants people who are willing to live for Him. He is looking for people who are willing to spend time with Him; love Him and be changed and transformed by Him. Christ is wants you and He wants to fellowship with you. He loves you and he wants change your life! Christ is looking for followers who will take the truth and change this world. Are you willing to follow Him and get to know the God who created you? It's time we stopped standing next to the fire but jumped in and get burned! God is real and He wants to experience and encounter us... but we must jump! Are you ready to jump in and experience the God of the Universe? If you are, get ready because God is moving and He wants to take you along with him!

sevver

Dec 31, 2006
I feel the same way, I had put some thought into just what the original church was like and taught about it at one of our home churches one night. You can read it HERE if you want. I am inclined to think that we are sort of way off base sometimes. I had heard of a Korean pastor coming over to America and making the comment: "It is amazing what the American churches can accomplish without the Holy Spirit." I find that pretty sad, we have become a consumerist religion, bartering the newest and flashiest items. Sad thing is, I am responsible for the technical stuff at church, media, videos, projection and computers. I am sure that Jesus would love it. But then again, it gets people in the doors, and quite often I get to speak into their lives. So I wonder, am I doing wrong? Everything is sort of gray here.

kentots

Feb 20, 2008
To be a true Christian is to follow Christ and God's Ideals, to take up the cause, to believe in what they do. To want a world full of love, to want to be with the father and the son, to want to love one another. That is what it really boils down to. Christ wants us to love one another as Christ has loved us, to love Christ and God as much as they have loved us. To love to the point that one would sacrifice one's self for God, Christ, and others. Many people that i have came across have taught about "hell, fire, and brimstone", how to get to the treasure "how to get to heaven", or are judgmental. God and Christ is about love and faith. Churches need love and faith.

kalixx

Nov 19, 2007
SillySeth;36840]Christianity is having [u][i]a relationship with Jesus [/i][/u]Christ....[u][i]I do believe in a real said:
[/u]. Yes, it is this that I thrive and live off of. I go to church on Sundays and attend church events because I want to fellowship with people who also have this kind of relationship...Christianity is about a relationship; not about saying a certain prayer, or attending every church service, or following all the rules. Yes… many Christians do these things, but it is because of their relationship with Christ that they do these things. We’ve turned it all around. Having a relationship with Christ motivates us to do these things....I felt like God was leading me to a new place; a new kind of relationship, a new kind of Christianity....Christ wants you and He wants to fellowship with you..../QUOTE]You mention this "relationship with Christ" quite a lot and it clearly means a lot to you! I have asked this many times of people and never got much more than a waffly answer: Please tell me what you mean by this "relationship". A relationship is a 2-way process, so how do you experience "Jesus inside"?, what is his side of the relationship and how does it manifest itself to you? I know your side, you read the bible, pray, go to church, etc - but what is his side of the deal? How does it work apart from a vague feel-good sensation? I sincerely want to know, I have sought it many years and never found even a sniff of it. So much so that I have given up the quest - but it still fascinates me when others talk of it
smile.gif
.As to the question...I believe that true Christianity is a complete conviction of the truth of the bible account of Jesus being the Son of God, brought into this world to save it by being the perfect sacrifice for the forgiveness of the sin of the world in its entirety. That he was crucified, died and was brought back to life by God and taken up into heaven from whence he came and where he still exists mediating between humankind and God. That he will return to the world at the end of its time and will take those that belong to him into the New World.I do not believe this and so cannot call myself a Christian, but this is what I believe Christianity is and any deviation from these core facts is no longer Christianity. (i.e. the various Christian Creeds pretty much define it all).

SillySeth

Dec 7, 2007
kalixx;36908][QUOTE=SillySeth;36840]You mention this "relationship with Christ" quite a lot and it clearly means a lot to you! I have asked this many times of people and never got much more than a waffly answer: Please tell me what you mean by this "relationship". A relationship is a 2-way process said:
his [/i][/u]side of the relationship and how does it manifest itself to you? I know your side, you read the bible, pray, go to church, etc - but what is his side of the deal? How does it work apart from a vague feel-good sensation? I sincerely want to know, I have sought it many years and never found even a sniff of it. So much so that I have given up the quest - but it still fascinates me when others talk of it
smile.gif
First off, I want to thank you so much for commenting to my post! I am so happy that you came out and voiced your true opinions!Now, onto the matter at hand. A relationship is a two-way friendship. You pointed this out, and you're right. I am sorry that you tried this with God before and you were unsuccessful. I want to encourage you to try again!Anyways... I want to try to best describe my relationship with Christ. This is very hard to do, because the way God communicates with me is not the same I would communicate with you. God speaks to me with situations, my heart, and through prayer. At this point, atheists start complaining because I can't necessarily prove anything, but I know it... because I experience it. Let me give you an example. I am a senior right now and I have been accepted to a major college and all my plans are made. Except... God has a different plan. I was at a 24/7 prayer room at my church and I was there praying before a prayer meeting. I was simply talking to God about my future and what he had planned for me. I prayed that God would show me what He wants me to do. That night at prayer, a good friend prayed over me and told me not to worry about all these plans but let God direct my path. The next day, a guy who worked at my church, came up and gave me a offer as an intern within my church's ministry. Okay.... you probably think that this is extremely coincidential and would tell me to take the college route at the big University. But... I know this is of God because I've been praying about it and I have had scripture confirmation. So I'm taking a year off, going to a small college, taking classes that will transfer to the big University and taking this internship.Alright... I told that long story to bring about one point. God does speak to us but we have to have faith, believe it, and listen for Him. He wants to speak to us, He wants to led you, He wants to direct you; but you must have FAITH and allow him to speak to you.A relationship goes both ways... you have to allow Him to speak.I hope this helped!

stlizzy

Feb 6, 2008
Hi SillySeth I liked your post and want to say that you're right, it's all about relationship with Him- and it's wonderful. He loves and wants to be loved.... and that's all we've got to do... follow the two greatest commandments and the rest will fall into place! I am so glad that you want to have a relationship with God- what could we give Him that is better than that? Bless you, brother! All Praise be to God!

kalixx

Nov 19, 2007
Thanks Sillyseth (interesting username
smile.gif
)I understand what you are telling and it sounds really promising, but you say that I might "probably think that this is extremely coincidential and would tell me to take the college route at the big University." OK, suppose it is not me that says that but your churhc leader or parents etc. How would you differentiate which is God speaking to you? There must be something more than something that "comes up". Otherwise we would get led all over the place.I know a guy who worked in a big paper company. His dream was to work for God. One day a door opened, he was overjoyed and praised God for his leading. He left his company and salary and joined the Christian organisation. He went through his training successfully. A few weeks later he suffered a brain hemorrage that left him totally without coherent speech and is now unemployed.I know a couple that had a dream from God identifying their future work on his behalf. In the dream was a buílding. Some years later the exact building came up in another town and they joined the development project that was starting there, convinced they would get the jobs there at the end. The project completed and the work commenced in the building, but they did not get the job. Now they are lost and looking for something else.Christians say it was Satan obstructing God's work. I don't buy that, it makes us humans nothing more than pawns in a power match between two powers that care nothing for humans - that is not the case.So, OK, God speaks to people through other people - but how does he confirm to you that you've picked the right horse out of all the options. I have never had such a situation where I have felt God is offering me anything, but I can identify many situations that I could in hindsight make fit the mould if I just wanted to, but why do that? How can you rely on what other people tell you to do? How do you know God loves you?

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
QUOTE (Albert Finch @ Apr 15 2009, 11:03 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=72643
Definition of Christianity:Living unto God, in the power of Christ, as He lives in us.
By faith in Christ and away from the doctrines of men claiming to be of Christ. Amen!

Squaell

Apr 28, 2009
Yes one of Jesus teaching was that you not need intermediacy among you and God but in this days are institutions doing like they would be God or that just through them you can meet God or Jesus which is not true. But if you would mention that to somebody i am sure there would be next inquisition. But don't worry God will strike everybody who is false or is doing his own will and not what he commanded.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Hi Silly Seth, you are spot on in that we are being called into a closer relationship with our Lord, as the days grow darker, we are going to have to rely more and more on Jesus to see us through, church will fail, noone will be able to help you, the problem as was said, is that the church has taken the place of God, it was never meant to be that way, we are all supposed to have one on one relationship with Jesus, and yes He does, as does God and the holy spirit , speak to those who will listen. going to church, reading the bible is not a relationship, you learn from your teacher, you want to become like Christ you have to learn from Him. By the time most people realise the church cant help them it will be too late. i hope they listen.In His love

Jethro Tull

May 10, 2009
QUOTE (SillySeth @ Feb 21 2008, 01:06 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=36840
Christianity is not something I do on Sunday, or Wednesday, or Friday. No… Christianity is having a relationship with Jesus Christ. Christianity is a day by day, hour by hour, minute by minute way of living.I am not religious, but I am a follower of Jesus Christ. I do not believe in religion, but I do believe in a real, authentic relationship with Jesus Christ. Yes, it is this that I thrive and live off of. I go to church on Sundays and attend church events because I want to fellowship with people who also have this kind of relationship. I do not go to church to be religious or to put my two cents towards God. That is not what church is about!
I like your thoughts, SillySeth. True Christianity is knowing Christ (the truth and the life), following Christ, and becoming Christ."Christianity" as a religion is just a label that people hide behind to cope with death anxiety. The religion has been modified continuously to satisfy political agendas and herd the masses like sheep. False Christianity is very deceiving, as it misinterprets Scripture, Christ's true message, and Christ Himself. Those who do not truly KNOW Jesus cannot call themselves true Christians.

Brother James

Jun 2, 2008
Melbourne, FL
What I know is that Jesus changed me and saved my life in a way that I could not do for myself, and He gave me a knowledge of Him and His peace that I could not find within myself. There have been many who tried to tell me why I'm not really a "Christian" and I have no time for them. It is as if someone who doesn't know me or my mother tried to tell me who my mother really was. It's silly. I know my Lord and I'm known by Him. That's mainly all I know. The rest I simply depend on Him to give me understanding, and I get in the way quite often and get it wrong. Fortunately, I don't have to get everything right because I don't have the power to get everything right. There's just one thing I have to get right, and that is to know whom I serve. Even if it is imperfect service.

Wiseman

May 18, 2009
Oh dear. Is 'Not Religious'What's in vogue this year?Rarely a titleSees so much spite and fear.Thou'rt christian, yes?Religious, then, be.Mountains are rockyAnd wet is the sea.Religion is titular,A division of thought.Indeed, it is requiredTo prevent faithful rot.Were they not divided(Faith and philosophy)Would weight be givenTo either one? See?Religion is faithful,Philosophy, of mind.Were they not differentiatedTogether they'd grind.Not all people have faithBut those of use that doWear proudly 'Religion',And 'Religious' too.

forgivenWretch

Feb 10, 2008
Tennessee
Christianity? Being Christlike. Walking the same path as Christ. True Christianity is not a religion. Religion is nothing more than formality and a set of rules.True Christianity is ALL about a very special relationship.A one on one relationship with Christ.A relationship in which we as Christians strive to become more like Christ.To do those things that are pleasing to God.Living our lives as sinless as possible.

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
Christianity? Being Christlike. Walking the same path as Christ. True Christianity is not a religion. Religion is nothing more than formality and a set of rules.True Christianity is ALL about a very special relationship.A one on one relationship with Christ.A relationship in which we as Christians strive to become more like Christ.To do those things that are pleasing to God.Living our lives as sinless as possible.
I like this post a lot. I agree 100%. Amen!

Wiseman

May 18, 2009
Unpopular I'll beI have a hunchWhen I make note of this:We're a divisive bunch.Christians we areAnd all of the Faith.The claim of 'Not religious'?Solid as a wraith.While He may be infiniteWe humans are not;We understand by categoryFor that is our lot.In our religion we relatePersonally to God.We learn from his wordsOf Jerusalem and Nod.We see simple useof religion the wordIn meaning the Faithful,The sheep of His herd.Not religious Christians?What a very odd thing.Debate this awayWhile the choir does sing.Of unorganized waysThis I could see.But not part of the group?Afraid that's not me.

TallMan

Jul 20, 2007
. . .It's time we stopped standing next to the fire but jumped in and get burned! God is real and He wants to experience and encounter us...
I have known this since 1986 when I received His Spirit (evidenced by speaking in tongues), like all the disciples did (Acts 2:4, 39; 10:44-48).Before that I said I had a relationship with God, but it was mostly one-way, from me . . . God helped when he could but I wasn't believing for much since I thought it was just a matter of following the "church" leaders & the programme they set.I met spirit-filled people and saw they had a daily two-way relationship which took them places (spiritually) I could never attain to.Hope you get to meet us!

gumby

May 29, 2009
I think a big part of it is communication, how do we comunicate with god? A. the bible B. Meditation/prayer C. living in his will, doing things his way instead of ours
smile.gif