• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Buzzfruit

Aug 21, 2011
Bronx, New York, U.S.A
You don't think it's possible for a woman who is WILLING to defer to a man can eventually follow her husband's faith? That seems odd to me. Finding a woman in these days with the characteristics of willing to follow leadership and deference is rare, and I would think that is valued just as highly as faith.

Could you say more on that?

It is possible but how often does that happen? And it is not wise to go against what the scriptures instructs us. God wants to spare us from all the pain that others have gone through.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Who here knew what they were getting into when they got married? It is a total leap of faith and more work than imaginable

treeberry

Nov 5, 2011
It is possible but how often does that happen? And it is not wise to go against what the scriptures instructs us. God wants to spare us from all the pain that others have gone through.

Isn't that an important criteria that a man should consider when looking for a wife? I've met a lot of christian women who have believed everything that feminism teaches, and would make horrible wives. Yet I have also met women from non-Christian faiths who believed in God and in Jesus but weren't sure how to follow the faith and needed some guidance. These women, if married to the right men who were also Christian men, could become followers of Christ.

I agree that it is not wise to go against scriptures, but according to what has been presented here, there is nothing in scriptures that forbids a Christian from marrying a non-Christian. Unless I am mistaken.

I agree with aspen in that marriage is really a leap of faith. However-- for myself and my husband, since we are both Christians certain things are easier. We both believe in raising children as Christian, sending children to parochial schools, going to church as a family, etc. If I was not Christian doing so would be very difficult, even more so if I downright ignored his leadership. Now, if I was not a Christian woman but deferred to him anyway, he might still have some difficulties but I am respecting his authority within the marriage. In other words-- isn't it still important to be traditional in marriage, not so much in matching faiths?

us2are1

Son Of Man
Sep 14, 2011
1 Timothy 2:4-5 For this [is] good and acceptable in the sight of God our Savior, who desires all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth.

God does have a want or a desire. His desire to have all men to be saved, which is why He sent His Apostles out into the world to preach the Good News about Him. Yes, God has a plan for everyone, but they can always reject Him and His plans. God offers us the free gift of salvation, but it's up to man to choose to either accept that gift or reject it.

The translation is lacking big time. Here it is in an earlier not quite so deluded translation.

1 Timothy 2: KJV
3 For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour; 4 Who will have all men to be saved , and to come unto the knowledge of the truth.

The byzantine text which is even earlier states. "Who has set the boundries for all men to be saved".

Buzzfruit

Aug 21, 2011
Bronx, New York, U.S.A
If the husband tells the wife to commit a sin, the wife is not obligated to obey. Women are called to follow God FIRST and even to love God FIRST. They are to love their husbands second to God.

That's a very rare cause though but what is more common is wives, even Christians wives who don't obey their husbands.

Who here knew what they were getting into when they got married? It is a total leap of faith and more work than imaginable

But there is a big difference between marring a person that shares the same belief and marrying someone that does not. Like I said, it is wise to go against what God has inspired?

Isn't that an important criteria that a man should consider when looking for a wife? I've met a lot of christian women who have believed everything that feminism teaches, and would make horrible wives. Yet I have also met women from non-Christian faiths who believed in God and in Jesus but weren't sure how to follow the faith and needed some guidance. These women, if married to the right men who were also Christian men, could become followers of Christ.

I agree that it is not wise to go against scriptures,but according to what has been presented here, there is nothing in scriptures that forbids a Christian from marrying a non-Christian. Unless I am mistaken.

I agree with aspen in that marriage is really a leap of faith. However-- for myself and my husband, since we are both Christians certain things are easier. We both believe in raising children as Christian, sending children to parochial schools, going to church as a family, etc. If I was not Christian doing so would be very difficult, even more so if I downright ignored his leadership. Now, if I was not a Christian woman but deferred to him anyway, he might still have some difficulties but I am respecting his authority within the marriage. In other words-- isn't it still important to be traditional in marriage, not so much in matching faiths?

Then you need to read the Bible a lot more. So yes, you are mistaken.

treeberry

Nov 5, 2011
Then Selene must be mistaken too, since she was the one who introduced that we aren't supposed to be afraid of marrying non-Christians. Where is the scriptural proof that we aren't supposed to be afraid to marry non-Christians?

Buzzfruit

Aug 21, 2011
Bronx, New York, U.S.A
Then Selene must be mistaken too, since she was the one who introduced that we aren't supposed to be afraid of marrying non-Christians. Where is the scriptural proof that we aren't supposed to be afraid to marry non-Christians?

I never said we should fear anyone......where you get that notion from? It’s not about fear….it’s about what is wise. A spiritually mature person would see this. It makes sense to marry someone that has the same belief system than to take a chance with someone that does not. Anyone that wants their marriage to work, will not fool themselves into believing that an unbeliever will be willing to give up what they believe, for what the Christian believe in everything that pertains to marriage, and even bring up children. Its not say that two Christians will always agree, but at least they would agree on Christians principles and that God comes first and that He wants us to submit to His will, and His will is laid out in the Bible. An unbelievers most likely will not agree that the Bible is God’s word and would not believe that he or she is under no obligation to live by it.

treeberry

Nov 5, 2011
Okay Buzz, here are the reason why MEN have told me that they'd be interested in a non-believer:

1. He was attracted to her, physically.
2. He didn't meet anyone else who was a Christian who was like her.
3. They got along well, discussed faith issues, and decided that it wouldn't be a big problem.
4. He wanted a woman who would defer to his leadership, and she had that trait.
5. He believed that he could teach her about the faith and she would convert anyway.

Believe me, I don't agree with a lot of the explanations I've been given...but many men out there are convinced that if they found the right woman, it wouldn't matter if she wasn't a Christian.

Buzzfruit

Aug 21, 2011
Bronx, New York, U.S.A
Okay Buzz, here are the reason why MEN have told me that they'd be interested in a non-believer:

1. He was attracted to her, physically.

Have they ever heard of self-control? We are to do that you know.

2. He didn't meet anyone else who was a Christian who was like her..

I am wondering what is this person's priority? Jesus said seek first the kingdom and His righteousness and the rest will be added. Could it be that the individual is not ready for a relationship? It could be that God's kingdom is not his priroity.

3. They got along well, discussed faith issues, and decided that it wouldn't be a big problem.

That's how Satan works. He tricks the gullible by dangling temptation in front of them.

4. He wanted a woman who would defer to his leadership, and she had that trait.

What does that mean? Differ in what?

5. He believed that he could teach her about the faith and she would convert anyway..

That's a very naive man. And aren’t we suppose to tell others the gospel anyway?

Believe me, I don't agree with a lot of the explanations I've been given...but many men out there are convinced that if they found the right woman, it wouldn't matter if she wasn't a Christian.

They need to talk to Christian husbands that is married to a none believer wife and hear what they say first. I knew two for example, that their wives had a problem with them paying tithes......one had to hide whatever money he was going to give the Church.

Selene

Apr 12, 2010
In my house
I never said we should fear anyone......where you get that notion from? It’s not about fear….it’s about what is wise. A spiritually mature person would see this. It makes sense to marry someone that has the same belief system than to take a chance with someone that does not. Anyone that wants their marriage to work, will not fool themselves into believing that an unbeliever will be willing to give up what they believe, for what the Christian believe in everything that pertains to marriage, and even bring up children. Its not say that two Christians will always agree, but at least they would agree on Christians principles and that God comes first and that He wants us to submit to His will, and His will is laid out in the Bible. An unbelievers most likely will not agree that the Bible is God’s word and would not believe that he or she is under no obligation to live by it.

I disagree. The Apostles went out and met the Gentiles who were pagans. They did not stay away from them, but went out to spread the good news to them. St. Paul even recognized Christians who are married to pagans or unbelievers. St. Paul stated that the unbelievers who are married to Christians are santificed through the Christians and their children are not unclean but holy. A Christian should not be afraid to marry a non-Christian especially if he/she loves the non-Christian. He/she must place their trust and faith in God, and God will work in them to convert their unbelieving spouse just as He worked through the Apostles to convert the unbelieving Gentiles.

My aunt married a non-Christian. Today, her husband is a Christian. To make the marriage between a Christian and non-Christian work takes faith in God. When we follow God's will in the marriage, the marriage will work out. The marriage between my aunt and a non-Christian worked out because true love always prevail. Love is patient, love is kind. God is love and love is so strong that it can even destroy death.

It's bad enough when man discriminates against others because of their race. Is a Christian supposed to also discriminate another because of their beliefs? In the Bible, St. Paul called the pagans in Athens "brothers" because he knew that all of mankind was made in the image and likeness of God. He knew that God loves everyone including the non-believers. Christians are not supposed to be afraid of the trials that comes with marrying an unbeliever. St. Paul and the Apostles also had trials in dealings with the unbelievers, and they prevailed.

Buzzfruit

Aug 21, 2011
Bronx, New York, U.S.A
I disagree. The Apostles went out and met the Gentiles who were pagans. They did not stay away from them, but went out to spread the good news to them.

We are talking about marriage here not the preaching of the gospel.

St. Paul even recognized Christians who are married to pagans or unbelievers.
St. Paul stated that the unbelievers who are married to Christians are santificed through the Christians and their children are not unclean but holy.

These are Christians who were already married to pagans mates and were themselves pagans as well before they were converted. Paul was saying they don't have to separate themselves from them. Though if their unbelieving mate wants to leave, let them because they are not bound by them to stay married to them.

A Christian should not be afraid to marry a non-Christian especially if he/she loves the non-Christian. He/she must place their trust and faith in God, and God will work in them to convert their unbelieving spouse just as He worked through the Apostles to convert the unbelieving Gentiles.

This is just your opinion.

My aunt married a non-Christian. Today, her husband is a Christian. To make the marriage between a Christian and non-Christian work takes faith in God. Being married to a Christian does not guarantee that one will get along because the divorce rate is still high even among Christians. When we follow God's will in the marriage, the marriage will work out. The marriage between my aunt and a non-Christian worked out because true love always prevail. Love is patient, love is kind. God is love and love is so strong that it can even destroy death.

How often does that happen. And just because she did it does not mean it should be done.

It's bad enough when man discriminates against others because of their race. Is a Christian supposed to also discriminate another because of their beliefs? In the Bible, St. Paul called the pagans in Athens "brothers" because he knew that all of mankind was made in the image and likeness of God. He knew that God loves everyone including the non-believers. Christians are not supposed to be afraid of the trials that comes with marrying an unbeliever. St. Paul and the Apostles also had trials in dealings with the unbelievers, but they prevailed.

Was God discriminating against other Nations when He told the Israelites not to give their daughters in marriage to pagan men of other Nations or their men to pagan women? And is a discrimination for a Christian not to not marry a criminal, a drug dealer or gang member?

Selene

Apr 12, 2010
In my house
[/font][/size][/font]

These are Christians who were already married to pagans mates and were themselves pagans as well before they were converted. Paul was saying they don't have to separate themselves from them. Though if their unbelieving mate wants to leave, let them because they are not bound by them to stay married to them.

How often does that happen. And just because she did it does not mean it should be done.

Was God discriminating against other Nations when He told the Israelites not to give their daughters in marriage to pagan men of other Nations or their men to pagan women? And is a discrimination for a Christian not to not marry a criminal, a drug dealer or gang member?

Actually, St. Paul stated that the unbeliever is santified through their Christian spouse and that their children are not unclean but holy. And who are we to tell a person who they should marry and who they should not marry? We are Christians. We are not Muslims who make marriage arrangement. We allow the person to marry whom they love. And love can conquer all kinds of problems because God is love.

In the Old Testament, it also says that Israel is supposed to mete out justice eye for an eye. But Jesus fulfilled the Old Testament laws. What He fulfilled is much better. We are not to seek vengence but forgiveness. And we are to love our neighbors and even our enemies. How do you love your neighbors or even your enemies if you judge them simply because they are from another religion? As I said, it is bad enough that man discriminates and judges another because of their skin color. Are we also supposed to judge another because of their religion? If God can love everyone including the sinners, are we not called to do the same? My aunt is able to convert her spouse simply because she loved her husband. That is actually how Christ and the Apostles converted many. It was their love for one another that converted many. God loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son. Christ loved us to the point that He died for us despite that we are sinners. My aunt loved her unbelieving husband to the point of marrying him despite who he is.

Selene

Apr 12, 2010
In my house
As you can see from this news report, a Coptic Christian priest fell in love with a Muslim woman, but look at how the Muslims react? Are Christians supposed to behave in this way when two people of different religions love each other? Christians are supposed to be the light of the world as Christ taught them to love their neighbors and their enemies.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(AINA) - A mob of nearly four thousand Muslims has attacked Coptic homes this evening in the village of Soul, Atfif in Helwan Governorate, 30 kilometers from Cairo, and torched the Church of St. Mina and St. George. There are conflicting reports about the whereabouts of the Church pastor Father Yosha and three deacons who were at church; some say they died in the fire and some say they are being held captive by the Muslims inside the church.
Witnesses report the mob prevented the fire brigade from entering the village. The army, which has been stationed for the last two days in the village of Bromil, 7 kilometers from Soul, initially refused to go into Soul, according to the officer in charge. When the army finally sent three tanks to the village, Muslim elders sent them away, saying that everything was “in order now.”
A curfew has been imposed on the 12,000 Christians in the village.
This incident was triggered by a relationship between 40-year-old Copt Ashraf Iskander and a Muslim woman. Yesterday a “reconciliation” meeting was arranged between the relevant Coptic and Muslim families and together with the Muslim elders it was decided that Ashraf Iskander would have to leave the village because Muslims torched his house.
The father of the Muslim woman was killed by his cousin because he did not kill his daughter to preserve the family’s honor, which led the woman’s brother to avenge the death of his father by killing the cousin. The village Muslims blamed the Christians.
The Muslim mob attacked the church, exploding 5-6 gas cylinders inside the church, pulled down the cross and the domes and burnt everything inside. Activist Ramy Kamel of Katibatibia Coptic advocacy called US-based Coptic Hope Sat TV and sent an SOS on behalf of the Copts in Soul village, as they are presently being attacked by the mob. He also said that no one is able to contact the priest and the deacons inside the burning church and there is no answer from their mobile phones.
Coptic activist Wagih Yacoub reported the mob has broken into Coptic homes and has called on Copts to leave the village. “Terrorized Copts have fled and some hid in homes of Muslim neighbors,” he added.
Witnesses said the mob chanted “Allahu Akbar” and vowed to conduct their morning prayers on the church plot after razing it.

http://quitenormal.wordpress.com/2011/03/05/4000-muslims-attack-coptic-homes-in-egypt-torch-church/

Buzzfruit

Aug 21, 2011
Bronx, New York, U.S.A
Actually, St. Paul stated that the unbeliever is santified through their Christian spouse and that their children are not unclean but holy. And who are we to tell a person who they should marry and who they should not marry? We are Christians. We are not Muslims who make marriage arrangement. We allow the person to marry whom they love. And love can conquer all kinds of problems because God is love. [/font][/size]

Like I said, Paul was addressing Christians that had married to unbelieving mates who themselves were unbelievers when they got married. Paul did not said that unmarried Christians can go out and marry unbelievers. Nothing in scripture even suggest this. And this is the problem with many Christians/Churches.....they do and teach some things that is not supported in the Bible.

In the Old Testament, it also says that Israel is supposed to mete out justice eye for an eye. But Jesus fulfilled the Old Testament laws. What He fulfilled is much better. We are not to seek vengence but forgiveness. And we are to love our neighbors and even our enemies. How do you love your neighbors or even your enemies if you judge them simply because they are from another religion? As I said, it is bad enough that man discriminates and judges another because of their skin color. Are we also supposed to judge another because of their religion? If God can love everyone including the sinners, are we not called to do the same? My aunt is able to convert her spouse simply because she loved her husband. That is actually how Christ and the Apostles converted many. It was their love for one another that converted many. God loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son. Christ loved us to the point that He died for us despite that we are sinners. My aunt loved her unbelieving husband to the point of marrying him despite who he is. [/font][/font]

Well, if you can show me a scripture in the New Testament that says a Christian can marry unbelievers then I will accept it.

As you can see from this news report, a Coptic Christian priest fell in love with a Muslim woman, but look at how the Muslims react? Are Christians supposed to behave in this way when two people of different religions love each other? Christians are supposed to be the light of the world as Christ taught them to love their neighbors and their enemies.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(AINA) - A mob of nearly four thousand Muslims has attacked Coptic homes this evening in the village of Soul, Atfif in Helwan Governorate, 30 kilometers from Cairo, and torched the Church of St. Mina and St. George. There are conflicting reports about the whereabouts of the Church pastor Father Yosha and three deacons who were at church; some say they died in the fire and some say they are being held captive by the Muslims inside the church.
Witnesses report the mob prevented the fire brigade from entering the village. The army, which has been stationed for the last two days in the village of Bromil, 7 kilometers from Soul, initially refused to go into Soul, according to the officer in charge. When the army finally sent three tanks to the village, Muslim elders sent them away, saying that everything was “in order now.”
A curfew has been imposed on the 12,000 Christians in the village.
This incident was triggered by a relationship between 40-year-old Copt Ashraf Iskander and a Muslim woman. Yesterday a “reconciliation” meeting was arranged between the relevant Coptic and Muslim families and together with the Muslim elders it was decided that Ashraf Iskander would have to leave the village because Muslims torched his house.
The father of the Muslim woman was killed by his cousin because he did not kill his daughter to preserve the family’s honor, which led the woman’s brother to avenge the death of his father by killing the cousin. The village Muslims blamed the Christians.
The Muslim mob attacked the church, exploding 5-6 gas cylinders inside the church, pulled down the cross and the domes and burnt everything inside. Activist Ramy Kamel of Katibatibia Coptic advocacy called US-based Coptic Hope Sat TV and sent an SOS on behalf of the Copts in Soul village, as they are presently being attacked by the mob. He also said that no one is able to contact the priest and the deacons inside the burning church and there is no answer from their mobile phones.
Coptic activist Wagih Yacoub reported the mob has broken into Coptic homes and has called on Copts to leave the village. “Terrorized Copts have fled and some hid in homes of Muslim neighbors,” he added.
Witnesses said the mob chanted “Allahu Akbar” and vowed to conduct their morning prayers on the church plot after razing it.

http://quitenormal.wordpress.com/2011/03/05/4000-muslims-attack-coptic-homes-in-egypt-torch-church/

This is completely irrelevant to what I am saying.

Selene

Apr 12, 2010
In my house
Like I said, Paul was addressing Christians that had married to unbelieving mates who themselves were unbelievers when they got married. Paul did not said that unmarried Christians can go out and marry unbelievers. Nothing in scripture even suggest this. And this is the problem with many Christians/Churches.....they do and teach some things that is not supported in the Bible.

Well, if you can show me a scripture in the New Testament that says a Christian can marry unbelievers then I will accept it.

The fact that St. Paul already acknowledge and recognized the marriage of those Christians married to unbelievers is already evidence. He did not put down nor discourage those marriages but RECOGNIZED them.

This is completely irrelevant to what I am saying.

It is relevant. We don't need any more hatred and bigotry. Why put down a person because of their religion? Being an African American, I would think you would understand this.

Buzzfruit

Aug 21, 2011
Bronx, New York, U.S.A
The fact that St. Paul already acknowledge and recognized the marriage of those Christians married to unbelievers is already evidence. He did not put down nor discourage those marriages but RECOGNIZED them.

In other words, there is no scripture to support what you believe

Your assumption is false. The fact that Paul only addressed believers that were already married to unbelievers but said nothing about unmarried believers marrying unbelievers tells me that was not the issue......they already knew that they should only marry believers.....you don't tell people what they already know. The issue was is it ok for a Christian to stay with a mate who is not a believer.

Selene

Apr 12, 2010
In my house
In other words, there is no scripture to support what you believe

Your assumption is false. The fact that Paul only addressed believers that were already married to unbelievers but said nothing about unmarried believers marrying unbelievers tells me that was not the issue......they already knew that they should only marry believers.....you don't tell people what they already know. The issue was is it ok for a Christian to stay with a mate who is not a believer.

St. Paul NEVER said not to marry unbelievers. That is only YOU saying it. And why should we listen to you? .

us2are1

Son Of Man
Sep 14, 2011
This following scripture is for all situations including marriage.

2 Corinthians 6
14 Do not be unequally yoked together with unbelievers. For what fellowship has righteousness with lawlessness? And what communion has light with darkness?
15 And what accord has Christ with Belial? Or what part has a believer with an unbeliever?
16 And what agreement has the temple of God with idols? For you are the temple of the living God. As God has said: "I will dwell in them And walk among them. I will be their God, And they shall be My people."
17 Therefore "Come out from among them And be separate, says the Lord. Do not touch what is unclean, And I will receive you."
18 "I will be a Father to you, And you shall be My sons and daughters, Says the Lord Almighty."

Selene

Apr 12, 2010
In my house
This following scripture is for all situations including marriage.

2 Corinthians 6
14 Do not be unequally yoked together with unbelievers. For what fellowship has righteousness with lawlessness? And what communion has light with darkness?
15 And what accord has Christ with Belial? Or what part has a believer with an unbeliever?
16 And what agreement has the temple of God with idols? For you are the temple of the living God. As God has said: "I will dwell in them And walk among them. I will be their God, And they shall be My people."
17 Therefore "Come out from among them And be separate, says the Lord. Do not touch what is unclean, And I will receive you."
18 "I will be a Father to you, And you shall be My sons and daughters, Says the Lord Almighty."

No, it is not in all situations. If it was in all situations, then why would Christ command His Apostles to go out into the pagan world to speak to them? In that Scripture, it is not speaking about marriage. It is actually a warning to the Corinthians against the infiltration of pagan practices which would split the church and cut it off from the its founder. As disciples of Christ, we are sent into the pagan world to be the light of Christ so that all who see our light will come to know God our Father and glorify Him. But as disciples of Christ, we are not supposed to follow pagan beliefs. That is what St. Paul is saying to the Corinthians. He never said, "Don't marry a non-Christian."

If St. Paul was actually prejudice against the pagans in regards to marriage, he would have condemned the marriage of those Christians who were married to pagans, but he never did. Instead, he stated that the unbelievers were sanctified through their Christian spouse. Imagine that!!!!

1 Corinthians 7:14 For the unbelieving husband is sanctified by the believing wife; and the unbelieving wife is sanctified by the believing husband otherwise your children should be unclean, but now they are holy.

Imagine that! St. Paul stated that the unbelievers are SANCTIFIED. He certainly is not prejudice of pagans. Furthermore, he would not have called the pagans in Athens "brothers", but he did (See Acts 17:22-29). St. Paul was not prejudice nor racist. We should not hate the pagans. St. Paul associated with pagans when he went to speak to them, but It is their religion and practices that he did not associate himself with.