Christians proclaiming their love of Jesus on social media is self-serving

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Again I understand...I can remember at one time, telling so many people how much I loved God, yet, I couldn’t stand quite a few of my neighbours..looking back, how could I have said that...it’s all about growing in God’s word, we are most definitely a work in progress...I don’t want PRIDE to get in the way of my learning anymore and believe me, we learn NOTHING when we hold onto PRIDE....God Bless You Brother.

You're welcome and I'm happy that you are humble and willing to learn and grow. I too try to be humble and to be willing to be persuaded to modify my view and I have modified my understanding of certain things based on feedback that I have received here.

Reactions: Ritajanice

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Instead of proclaiming how much YOU love Jesus, how about proclaiming how much JESUS loves all people? The former glorifies the individual; the latter glorifies Jesus.

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
. When we say we love God it is him that is loveable. Again that does not say that we are loveable. Can you make the connection logically? I wonder.
Hello Dev....I just got this....how can you proclaim to Love God, yet are constantly saying how much you can’t stand a neighbour......should I still be proclaiming my Love for God?
Hope that makes sense.

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
You're welcome and I'm happy that you are humble and willing to learn and grow. I too try to be humble and to be willing to be persuaded to modify my view and I have modified my understanding of certain things based on feedback that I have received here.
I must be honest and say, I have learnt the hard way, I have consistently prayed for the Lord to humble me...Pride was my downfall, I’ve been away from forums for quite a while now, because of my attitude and pride.
Fresh start, by joining this forum and I pray the Holy Spirit goes before me as we all know that “SELF” is no good and useless in following the Lord.....as soon as “self and pride” come into the equation, Jesus goes out of the window, if you get my meaning......

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello Dev....I just got this....how can you proclaim to Love God, yet are constantly saying how much you can’t stand a neighbour......should I still be proclaiming my Love for God?
Hope that makes sense.
Hi Ritajanice. Our first and greatest commandment is to love God. The second is love your neighbor. But this thread isn't about the second commandment. Its about shaming people out of expressing their love for God. I'm not open to it.

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Ritajanice. Our first and greatest commandment is to love God. The second is love your neighbor. But this thread isn't about the second commandment. Its about shaming people out of expressing their love for God. I'm not open to it.
Ok, thanks for explaining.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Honestly I can think of no better world then were people all say, they love God and Jesus. Had the pharisees done that then they wouldn't have been cursed. But they shamed him instead and put him to death.

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
as soon as “self and pride” come into the equation, Jesus goes out of the window, if you get my meaning......
Amen. We all share this and other struggles. Even we Christians are divided. I believe the life-lesson to ALL is that we can't do it without God. Our only hope is to believe in Jesus so that he can heal and transform us so that we can be pure and enter Heaven.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, it's good that we tell God and Jesus that we love them.
We can also lead by example Patrick. Are you sure that telling people we love God does not say to them that he is loveable and thereby promotes love for God?

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have a T-shirt that says "Jesus is my superhero". Although I love the shirt, I rarely wear it because I think I am too unworthy to do so. I also don't want to appear like I'm saying "Hey, look at me! I'm a Christian!". However, I probably should wear it more often to let people know that it's ok and good to be a Christian, I just have to remember to be on my VERY best behavior when wearing it.

• Haha

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
have a T-shirt that says "Jesus is my superhero". Although I love the shirt, I rarely wear it because I think I am too unworthy to do so. I also don't want to appear like I'm saying "Hey, look at me! I'm a Christian!". However, I probably should wear it more often to let people know that it's ok and good to be a Christian, I just have to remember to be on my VERY best behavior when wearing it.
I had to laugh at this,.....I have non Christian friends, who think/ believe I should be perfect like Jesus was, try explaining that..

Reactions: Patrick1966

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What about pro athletes that stop and pray while millions are watching on tv? Is that pleasing to God? I would like to say that it's ok but I also know that I'm not supposed to trust in my own understanding but, rather, in what God commands and Jesus told us to pray in private.

I enjoy listening to different Christians speaking on YouTube, many of whom are church ministers. Frankly, it's a turnoff to me when their sermon begins with some big, lofty, prayer. Don't give me your prayer; that's between you and God. Give me the word of God along with your insight to help me to understand!

But with said, I don't think there's anything wrong with a family praying together at the dinner table, for example. I think the point that Jesus was making is that it's all about the intent. As I said, some people that publicly proclaim their love of Jesus to the masses may be very well-intentioned. Only Jesus knows what's in their heart. Only Jesus can judge. I don't judge them but I can discern that their doing so seems contrary to what Jesus told us in Matthew.

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I had to laugh at this,.....I have non Christian friends, who think/ believe I should be perfect like Jesus was, try explaining that..
I'm 56. I was a hell-raiser in my 20's. I share some of God's word on my Facebook page. I imagine some of them are laughing and thinking "he's no follower of Jesus" but, of course, they would be mistaken. I don't follow Jesus because I'm a holy person; I follow Jesus because I am BROKEN and I need Jesus to fix me and he's the only one that can.

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think I might like to have a T-shirt with a message that says "Jesus came for us sinners". It acknowledges Jesus while humbling ourselves. And maybe have the following verse on the back: Matthew 9:13 "For I came not to call the righteous, but sinners.”

Reactions: Lambano

Stumpmaster

Apr 5, 2009
Hamilton, New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
I see it often. It reminds me of what Jesus said about how the Pharisees did similar things. It's good to share the word of God. Telling everyone "I love Jesus!" is vain, in my view.
FAQ.

Are you a Christian? Do you believe the Bible? Do you love Jesus? Are you saved by grace through faith in Jesus Christ? Are you washed in the blood of Christ? If you were to die tonight would you go to heaven? If you were persecuted for your faith would you die to prove your love for Jesus?

Joh 21:15-17 So when they had eaten breakfast, Jesus said to Simon Peter, "Simon, son of Jonah, do you love Me more than these?" He said to Him, "Yes, Lord; You know that I love You." He said to him, "Feed My lambs." (16) He said to him again a second time, "Simon, son of Jonah, do you love Me?" He said to Him, "Yes, Lord; You know that I love You." He said to him, "Tend My sheep." (17) He said to him the third time, "Simon, son of Jonah, do you love Me?" Peter was grieved because He said to him the third time, "Do you love Me?" And he said to Him, "Lord, You know all things; You know that I love You." Jesus said to him, "Feed My sheep".

Reactions: dev553344

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Would it be okay if I quietly SHOW Jesus I love Him by doing some of the things He said He likes, while "always being prepared to give an answer" should the pagan world take notice?

(Okay, that was obviously somewhat a rhetorical question, and I'll have to ask forgiveness for throwing in a teaspoon of snark, but there's some implementation details that I need to work out, because I can think of applicable situations where I'm pretty sure I'm NOT doing it right. On one hand, wanting to bring attention to myself, on the other, failing to inspire others to "see your good works and glorify your Father in Heaven".)