Christians proclaiming their love of Jesus on social media is self-serving

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Joh 21:15-17 So when they had eaten breakfast, Jesus said to Simon Peter, "Simon, son of Jonah, do you love Me more than these?" He said to Him, "Yes, Lord; You know that I love You." He said to him, "Feed My lambs." (16) He said to him again a second time, "Simon, son of Jonah, do you love Me?" He said to Him, "Yes, Lord; You know that I love You." He said to him, "Tend My sheep." (17) He said to him the third time, "Simon, son of Jonah, do you love Me?" Peter was grieved because He said to him the third time, "Do you love Me?" And he said to Him, "Lord, You know all things; You know that I love You." Jesus said to him, "Feed My sheep".

So you interpret these verses to mean that we should publicly proclaim our love of Jesus to everyone?

Would it serve Jesus for me to buy an ad in the Super Bowl wherein I effusively espouse my love for him?

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Would it be okay if I quietly SHOW Jesus I love Him by doing some of the things He said He likes, while "always being prepared to give an answer" should the pagan world take notice?

(Okay, that was obviously somewhat a rhetorical question, and I'll have to ask forgiveness for throwing in a teaspoon of snark, but there's some implementation details that I need to work out, because I can think of applicable situations where I'm pretty sure I'm NOT doing it right. On one hand, wanting to bring attention to myself, on the other, failing to inspire others to "see your good works and glorify your Father in Heaven".)

Publicly pronouncing one's love of Jesus to the masses is, in my view, inconsistent with what Jesus warned us against in Matthew. It may be an innocent mistake but it is nonetheless a mistake, in my humble view.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The analogy is the same. Pharisees standing out in the streets praying aloud in order to be seen and heard for their own vanity, as Jesus described, is very similar to Christians publicly proclaiming their love of Jesus.
The difference is we Christians do not tell people of Jesus to boast of ourselves. We believe all glory to God.

Reactions: dev553344

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I love my wife.

There.

I said it before the masses.

Self-serving my brother. If you really want to compliment your wife tell the masses "I'm lucky and grateful that she chose me!"

By doing so you humble yourself and exalt her!

:)

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Self-serving my brother. If you really want to compliment your wife tell the masses "I'm lucky and grateful that she chose me!"

By doing so you humble yourself and exalt her!

:)
Hmmm, one thing I found in life is that we grow to love someone by serving them. Whether they be children, or siblings or parents or friends and yes even strangers. That seems to be how God works for us to promote our love for others.

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hmmm, one thing I found in life is that we grow to love someone by serving them. Whether they be children, or siblings or parents or friends and yes even strangers. That seems to be how God works for us to promote our love for others.

Yes, we are supposed to love God and to love everyone.

Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’[a] 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ 40 All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, we are supposed to love God and to love everyone.

Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’[a] 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ 40 All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”
OK, but are you sure you're not judging people regarding this desire to not see people say they love God?

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But I know my wife, and she'd like it as written.

What would Jesus like?
On another forum, a dear lady brought up "The Five Love Languages": Quality time, Words of affirmation, Gifts, Acts of service, and Physical touch. We all have our own natural ways to give and receive love. I'm more an "Acts of service" guy on the giving side; my wife likes to receive Words of affirmation, but give Gifts.

The point here is that for some people, giving Words of affirmation is their most natural way to express their love. It's not my personal way, but that in no way invalidates someone else's expression of love for Jesus - if that is their heart-felt and natural way.

I think it's safe to say Jesus knows our hearts, and deals with us as individuals.

Reactions: Helen and dev553344

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So you interpret these verses to mean that we should publicly proclaim our love of Jesus to everyone?

Would it serve Jesus for me to buy an ad in the Super Bowl wherein I effusively espouse my love for him?
Excellent topic Patrick!

All growing and maturing believers in the spirit of Christ of the Spirit of the Father need to know what he requires of us as he leads us daily. And our love for others that we have from him is essential. And then to broadcast our 'love' publicly in serving our God like speaking through a bullhorn is not what the Spirit desires from us at all. And I would think it would be self-serving to do so, indeed. If we publicly announce our love for God on a whim or a strong emotion of feeling good, the Spirit should eventually condemn it and point this act of pride clearly out to us. That we ae serve and love God first by our thoughts and actions that are never conceived amongst others and especially in a public forum for the world to try and understand it all. They don't and they cannot truly understand our love for God and his Son without 'seeing' the Son in us.

Even scripture recalls only one place where the Son places or verbalizes his love for his Father. And them it is done in a semi-private matter. c.f. John 14:31..below here

We show and speak our love for God IN private if at all possible, as all believers should do this, bursting out at times our of our hearts. If asked why we have a blessed hope in Christ and our love for God then we respond in a semi-private environment and without any fanfare. If we love the Father we will want to do this in private at all costs.

(Joh 14:15) "If you love me, you will do what I command.
(Joh 14:16) I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Helper to be with you forever. (ERV).

We will listen within our minds and hearts and do what the Spirit of the Father required. This is displaying our love indeed. How can we be genuine believers if we go ahead without the Spirit, of self-will, to the world in public to tell that we love God and his Son? These are hopeless and useless empty words. What does God think of this if we shout out to the world we love the Son and the Father without accomplishing and doing some spiritual work for Him to show our love and kindness to others in the process and thus to our Father, to give GLORY to him, our God!

(Joh 14:31) But the world must know that I love the Father. So I do exactly what the Father told me to do. "Come now, let's go." (ERV)

(Joh 14:23) Jesus answered, "All who love me will obey my teaching. My Father will love them. My Father and I will come to them and live with them. (ERV)

And hello @Ritajanice welcome...

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
John 14:15
“If you love me, you will keep my commandments.
True. And Mary, when she washed Jesus's feet, that was her love language. The widow who gave her last two copper coins, that's how she expressed love, through giving. Just please remember those who express love differently.

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
True. And Mary, when she washed Jesus's feet, that was her love language. The widow who gave her last two copper coins, that's how she expressed love, through giving. Just please remember those who express love differently.

I'm not condemning anybody brother.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Matthew 6:5-6
English Standard Version
The Lord's Prayer
5 “And when you pray, you must not be like the hypocrites. For they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and at the street corners, that they may be seen by others. Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward. 6 But when you pray, go into your room and shut the door and pray to your Father who is in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you.
Excuse me, this verse is Jesus speaking about * prayer . And they who ‘prayed ‘openly for prides sake , didn’t even begin to know how the Father heart worked! They were not ‘believers‘ in the sense of the word . They were religious .

Me thinks that you just don’t want to advertise that you are a Christian and have chosen this cop-out. That’s fine…so just don’t . But leave others free .
If everyone walked as we’ve been told to walk , ‘In the Spirit ‘ we would do what we hear Father telling us to do , and not have our nose in someone else’s pocket .

John 21 :21 .. Peter said to Jesus ( speaking of John ) “What shall this man do” . Jesus answered him …” mind your own business , what’s it to you?” :)

friend of

Sep 22, 2018
B.C.
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I strongly disagree. I think Christians should actually be more vocal about their love for christ, especially on secular forums. If all Christian's put something Christian in their signature, like say, about Christ or a verse, it could actually provoke discussion, which is good if you want to lead others to Christ. The internet becomes a mission field, and why the heck not.

Whomever acknowledges Christ before men will be acknowledged by the father. Matthew 10:32

Come at me, bro

Reactions: Lambano and Helen

friend of

Sep 22, 2018
B.C.
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Me thinks that you just don’t want to advertise that you are a Christian and have chosen this cop-out.
It would be a shame if he is simply too afraid to own Christ in front of others.

Reactions: Helen