Christians proclaiming their love of Jesus on social media is self-serving

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I see it often. It reminds me of what Jesus said about how the Pharisees did similar things. It's good to share the word of God. Telling everyone "I love Jesus!" is vain, in my view.

Reactions: shortangel and APAK

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Interesting how your logic is flawed. But really, you don't like people expressing their love for Jesus and are trying to shame them now.

Reactions: Helen and Pearl

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But honestly Patrick, I would think you should have more of a beef against people telling everyone their saved. There's a much bigger hole there in the logic.

Reactions: Ritajanice

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I see it often. It reminds me of what Jesus said about how the Pharisees did similar things. It's good to share the word of God. Telling everyone "I love Jesus!" is vain, in my view.
That’s interesting, I Love Jesus, as He Loved me first, ...how can one not share that LOVE that he poured into our hearts....

May I ask, why you think it’s vain to tell some people they Love Jesus?

Romans 5:5
Context Crossref Comment Greek
Verse (Click for Chapter)
New International Version
And hope does not put us to shame, because God’s love has been poured out into our hearts through the Holy Spirit, who has been given to us.

New Living Translation
And this hope will not lead to disappointment. For we know how dearly God loves us, because he has given us the Holy Spirit to fill our hearts with his love

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Matthew 6:5-6
English Standard Version
The Lord's Prayer
5 “And when you pray, you must not be like the hypocrites. For they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and at the street corners, that they may be seen by others. Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward. 6 But when you pray, go into your room and shut the door and pray to your Father who is in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you.

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
What does the Bible say?
1. Mark 16:15-16 He said to them, “Go into all the world and preach the gospel to all creation. Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned.
2. Philemon 1:6 and I pray that the sharing of your faith may become effective for the full knowledge of every good thing that is in us for the sake of Christ.
3. 1 Peter 3:15-16 But in your hearts revere Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect, keeping a clear conscience, so that those who speak maliciously against your good behavior in Christ may be ashamed of their slander.
4. Matthew 4:19-20 “Come, follow me,” Jesus said, “and I will send you out to fish for people.” At once they left their nets and followed him.
5. Mark 13:10 And the gospel must first be preached to all nations.
6. Psalm 96:2-4 Sing to the LORD; praise his name. Each day proclaim the good news that he saves. Publish his glorious deeds among the nations. Tell everyone about the amazing things he does. Great is the LORD! He is most worthy of praise! He is to be feared above all gods.
7. 1 Corinthians 9:16 For when I preach the gospel, I cannot boast, since I am compelled to preach. Woe to me if I do not preach the gospel!

• Love
Reactions: Nancy

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Matthew 6:5-6
English Standard Version
The Lord's Prayer
5 “And when you pray, you must not be like the hypocrites. For they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and at the street corners, that they may be seen by others. Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward. 6 But when you pray, go into your room and shut the door and pray to your Father who is in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you.
Again the logic here fails. You are trying to connect prayer with expressing feelings for God. They are not the same. It is an honor to someone to tell people that you love them.

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What does the Bible say?
1. Mark 16:15-16 He said to them, “Go into all the world and preach the gospel to all creation. Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned.
2. Philemon 1:6 and I pray that the sharing of your faith may become effective for the full knowledge of every good thing that is in us for the sake of Christ.
3. 1 Peter 3:15-16 But in your hearts revere Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect, keeping a clear conscience, so that those who speak maliciously against your good behavior in Christ may be ashamed of their slander.
4. Matthew 4:19-20 “Come, follow me,” Jesus said, “and I will send you out to fish for people.” At once they left their nets and followed him.
5. Mark 13:10 And the gospel must first be preached to all nations.
6. Psalm 96:2-4 Sing to the LORD; praise his name. Each day proclaim the good news that he saves. Publish his glorious deeds among the nations. Tell everyone about the amazing things he does. Great is the LORD! He is most worthy of praise! He is to be feared above all gods.
7. 1 Corinthians 9:16 For when I preach the gospel, I cannot boast, since I am compelled to preach. Woe to me if I do not preach the gospel!

Yes, that's all good. We can agree to disagree.

Reactions: Ritajanice

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Again the logic here fails. You are trying to connect prayer with expressing feelings for God. They are not the same. It is an honor to someone to tell people that you love them.

The analogy is the same. Pharisees standing out in the streets praying aloud in order to be seen and heard for their own vanity, as Jesus described, is very similar to Christians publicly proclaiming their love of Jesus.

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Yes, that's all good. We can agree to disagree.
Hi Patrick, nice to meet you, your thread made me think...if we claim to Love Jesus, and shout it out, then we aren’t obedient to him, makes me a hypocrite...so I thank you for this thought provoking thread.....the Holy Spirit certainly spoke to me trough it...many thanks.

• Love
Reactions: Patrick1966

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I think it draws attention to themselves in order that they can be, in a sense, glorified wherein all of the glory goes to God.
That is a good point, thank you,Patrick, I’m very open minded...Praise God.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The analogy is the same. Pharisees standing out in the streets praying aloud in order to be seen and heard for their own vanity, as Jesus described, is very similar to Christians publicly proclaiming their love of Jesus.
Think again Patrick, what is different between expressing love for Jesus and worshiping him by saying he is great. The point is God is loveable that doesn't mean we are. We are commanded to love God and neighor. We can express that love and admiration thru words and actions. It is a commandment.

And what do you say about the following then:

Revelation 7:9
After these things I looked, and behold, a great multitude which no one could number, of all nations, tribes, peoples, and tongues, standing before the throne and before the Lamb, clothed with white robes, with palm branches in their hands,

Revelation 5:
8 Now when He had taken the scroll, the four living creatures and the twenty-four elders fell down before the Lamb, each having a harp, and golden bowls full of incense, which are the prayers of the saints. 9 And they sang a new song, saying:

“You are worthy to take the scroll,
And to open its seals;
For You were slain,
And have redeemed us to God by Your blood
Out of every tribe and tongue and people and nation,
10 And have made us kings and priests to our God;
And we shall reign on the earth.”

11 Then I looked, and I heard the voice of many angels around the throne, the living creatures, and the elders; and the number of them was ten thousand times ten thousand, and thousands of thousands, 12 saying with a loud voice:

“Worthy is the Lamb who was slain
To receive power and riches and wisdom,
And strength and honor and glory and blessing!”

13 And every creature which is in heaven and on the earth and under the earth and such as are in the sea, and all that are in them, I heard saying:

“Blessing and honor and glory and power
Be to Him who sits on the throne,
And to the Lamb, forever and ever!”

14 Then the four living creatures said, “Amen!” And the twenty-four elders fell down and worshiped Him who lives forever and ever.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think it draws attention to themselves in order that they can be, in a sense, glorified wherein all of the glory goes to God.
That would be people saying they are saved. It is not the same as saying God is loveable and proclaiming it.

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi Patrick, nice to meet you, your thread made me think...if we claim to Love Jesus, and shout it out, then we aren’t obedient to him, makes me a hypocrite...so I thank you for this thought provoking thread.....the Holy Spirit certainly spoke to me trough it...many thanks.

You're welcome, my sister. I imagine that many Christians innocently do it and I'm not saying it's some horrific sin or anything. LOL. But I am saying that it seems contrary to what Jesus spoke of in Matthew 6:5-6. Again, that's just my view; I may be mistaken.

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is not the same as saying God is loveable and proclaiming it.
Can you provide any scriptural support for publicly proclaiming one's love of God? I'm not trying to win an argument. I'm willing to modify (change) my understanding if there is scipture to support doing so.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Can you provide any scriptural support for publicly proclaiming one's love of God? I'm not trying to win an argument. I'm willing to modify (change) my understanding if there is scipture to support doing so.
See post #14. You seem to see a connection between glorifying one's self and glorifying God. When we say we love God it is him that is loveable. Again that does not say that we are loveable. Can you make the connection logically? I wonder.

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
You're welcome, my sister. I imagine that many Christians innocently do it and I'm not saying it's some horrific sin or anything. LOL. But I am saying that it seems contrary to what Jesus spoke of in Matthew 6:5-6. Again, that's just my view; I may be mistaken.
Again I understand...I can remember at one time, telling so many people how much I loved God, yet, I couldn’t stand quite a few of my neighbours..looking back, how could I have said that...it’s all about growing in God’s word, we are most definitely a work in progress...I don’t want PRIDE to get in the way of my learning anymore and believe me, we learn NOTHING when we hold onto PRIDE....God Bless You Brother.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Had we said Jesus loves us, yes that can be backed up in scripture. Jesus once asked someone if they loved him, he said to them, "then feed my sheep". I'm really not sure what your point is Patrick but the lack of proper logic is bad here.

John 21:17 He said to him the third time, “Simon, son of Jonah, do you love Me?” Peter was grieved because He said to him the third time, “Do you love Me?” And he said to Him, “Lord, You know all things; You know that I love You.” Jesus said to him, “Feed My sheep.