Christians with Spergers

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Templar81

Apr 14, 2010
UK
As far as I know I'm not an Aspie so I've often wonderd if it is possible for someone with Aspergers syndrome to believe in God/Jesus and to fully relate to Jesus as their personal savour. I don't know any Chrsitians with Apsergers and I do know that they tend to have to see things very ligically, finding it diffuclt to believe in things they can't see, so I would find it very interesting to if anyone on this forum has the condition or can maybe shed a little light on the topic.

Basically what I'd like to know is: do Christians with Aspergers struggle more with their faith since they have to put it into rational terms? Also, would it be harder for someone with Aspergers to be a Catholic than say a Baptist?

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As far as I know I'm not an Aspie so I've often wonderd if it is possible for someone with Aspergers syndrome to believe in God/Jesus and to fully relate to Jesus as their personal savour. I don't know any Chrsitians with Apsergers and I do know that they tend to have to see things very ligically, finding it diffuclt to believe in things they can't see, so I would find it very interesting to if anyone on this forum has the condition or can maybe shed a little light on the topic.

Basically what I'd like to know is: do Christians with Aspergers struggle more with their faith since they have to put it into rational terms? Also, would it be harder for someone with Aspergers to be a Catholic than say a Baptist?

I can only speculate, but I think it may be harder for someone on the autistic spectrum to "feel" like a Christian, but I believe God is faithful and is leading all us towards Him. As you know, being a Christian goes far beyond thinking / feelings / will.

Templar81

Apr 14, 2010
UK
Oh yes of course and sorry abou the type-o btw, but I've heard about how people with Aspergers function differently and it would make sense that this extends into their faith and worship as well. I know that they could grasp theories like transubstanciation for example in an intellectual sense but would they feel differently towards it?

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh yes of course and sorry abou the type-o btw, but I've heard about how people with Aspergers function differently and it would make sense that this extends into their faith and worship as well. I know that they could grasp theories like transubstanciation for example in an intellectual sense but would they feel differently towards it?

I wish we had a member who had aspergers so we could get a better idea. I think asperger's affects social interacts the most - they tend to miss subtle social cues, and because they miss them in other people, they never learn to do them. Therefore, they tend to appear odd in social settings because they are not responding to cues or giving out any. The phrase "When in Rome, do like the Romans" means nothing to them - if you know what I mean. I've noticed that shows like Seinfeld and Curb your Enthusiasm are entertaining for them because the social interactions are really obvious.

So, what I am saying is, these folks may look different when they worship and their belief systems my be expressed differently, but it doesn't mean that they actually believe differently.

Hope that makes sense

WhiteKnuckle

Mar 29, 2009
I just had to read about what this disorder is. LOL

I don't see why it would affect their faith or understanding of God in anyway. Based on the limited information it would be mainly social situations that are "awkward",,, Seeing that that they don't pick up on social cues very well or understand emotions like empathy, and hold themselves to certain guidelines,,,,, I would say they'd have an easier time.

God doesn't care if you interupt (apparently, since we can't see exactly when he's busy), to my knowledge God has never told someone they're praying too loudly for Him.

Recognizing a "personal" savior is a subjective and personal view. I don't view Jesus as "my personal" anything to be honest. I kind of look at Jesus as "The center of the party" so to speak, the one cool guy that everyone wants to know.

Narrow interests is just that too, my interests don't affect my faith in any direct manor. Although, I do try to find some way to relate certain activities to my life or my relationship with God.

Seems to me, that going to church would be affected rather than an understanding of God. Especially when being subjected to a series of tests people with Aspergers know and understand what social cues are and seem to have a good intellectual understanding of things just like everyone else.

Templar81

Apr 14, 2010
UK
Recognizing a "personal" savior is a subjective and personal view. I don't view Jesus as "my personal" anything to be honest. I kind of look at Jesus as "The center of the party" so to speak, the one cool guy that everyone wants to know.

I get what you mean but Jesus is way more than that.