A Disciplined Probabilistic Approach to Biblical Hermeneutics

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Disclaimer: I am not against other scholarly or spiritual approaches to hermeneutics. In fact, I employ these approaches plus the one I am proposing here. I weigh different approaches.

I propose a denomination-free, logical, and probabilistic approach to interpreting the Scripture. I have never been an official member of any denomination or church. This is my attempt to stop the arguing among the different denominations provided the debaters adhere to the method here.

Axiom: The 66 books of the OT and NT autograph manuscripts were God-breathed.

To ensure everyone is discussing the same thing, it is important to have an agreed operational definition of the key term.

When it comes to doctrines, I try to stick precisely to the words and wording in the Bible. See Mother of God and My Take on Trinity.

I instinctively practice Occam's razor. I put more weight on simple arguments over complicated ones, direct statements over implied conclusions, and unifying explanations over ad-hoc explanations. I look for elegance. See Homosexual acts are sinful.

By nature, I am slow in generalizing. I avoid isms because they tend to over-generalize, e.g., Onanism, Calvinism, etc. People who like to generalize tend to over-generalize.

I use First-Order Logic for formal reasoning. I am slow because I'd like to see detailed step-by-step logical deductions without any missing steps. People who are not trained in formal logic tend to jump to conclusions. They often conflate ∃-for-some with ∀-for-all.

Analogical reasoning is not a valid method within the framework of FOL. I rarely use it. When others do, I don't put much weight on it.

Many passages are symbolic and poetic, rich with figures of speech. They must be considered before applying first-order logic to the resultant proposition statements.

However, FOL does not always resolve a problem. Then, I employ probabilistic analysis. David did as well. This is where Subjective (Bayesian) Probability comes in.

Some paradoxes/contradictions, such as false dichotomy, can be nicely solved by Co-Reality Model, i.e., the horizontal perspective complements the vertical perspective.

When it comes to eschatological stuff, I often take the lazy way out, i.e., wait until after the facts.

I use the following words only in their formal logical sense: prove, deduce, entail, conclude, imply, contradict, therefore, unique, etc.

I try to avoid these words and phrases of extreme: absolutely, certainly, obviously, clearly, irrefutable proof, the only way, no doubt, nothing to do with, must, have to, of course, absurd, debunk, easily, simply, plainly, most, best, very, the true this and the true that, prooftext, theory, there can be little argument, the Bible says, the Bible does not say, etc. Excessive use of intensifiers is often a sign of unbalanced and intellectual immaturity.

Don't be defensive, but stay objective. When disagreeing, I try to accommodate and find common ground. I admit different options with probabilities. I'm happy when someone proves me wrong because I would have learned something new. I enjoy the freedom to learn from everyone in the forum.

Proverbs 18:

17 The one who states his case first seems right until the other comes and examines him.
Proverbs 19:

11 Good sense makes one slow to anger, and it is his glory to overlook an offense.
Psalm 131:

1 My heart is not proud, LORD, my eyes are not haughty; I do not concern myself with great matters or things too wonderful for me.
Titus 3:

9 Avoid foolish controversies, genealogies, arguments, and quarrels about the law because these things are pointless and worthless. 10 Reject a divisive man after a first and second admonition
I visit Biblehub.com every day.

I have been reading the Bible every day since 1994. Familiarize yourself with the whole Bible by daily reading.

People tend to believe what they subjectively want to believe. This approach offers a degree of objectivity in biblical interpretation. It will not resolve all differences, but it guarantees to terminate any arguments within a practical number of steps, provided the participants agree to bet based on their subjective probability.

The goal is to arrive at a consentaneous set of Christian beliefs by logical and probabilistic reasoning to Biblical hermeneutics. This can be a unifying force, but I'm not interested in building an echo chamber. I welcome anyone who is sincere, objective, and civil. The potential collective intelligence of this kind of community is unbeatable :)

See also The logical problem with Calvin and Calvinism.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Learner

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Disclaimer: I am not against other scholarly or spiritual approaches to hermeneutics. In fact, I employ these approaches as well as the one that I am proposing here.

I'd like to propose a denomination-free, logical, and probabilistic approach to interpreting the Scripture. I have never been an official member of any denomination or church. This is my attempt to minimize inconsistencies in theologies among different denominations and doctrines.

To ensure that everyone is talking about the same thing, it is important to have an agreed operational definition of the key terms. Let's say we are talking about freewill. Then definition D(x) will decide whether x is an instance of freewill or not. Freewill needs to be objectively recognized or measured by some procedure D. Without an agreed-upon D, there is little point in proceeding any further in the debate.

I instinctively practice Occam's razor. I put more weight on simple arguments over complicated ones, more weight on direct statements over implied conclusions, and more weight on unifying explanations over ad-hoc explanations. I look for elegance. E.g., see Homosexual acts are sinful.

I try to stick precisely to the words and wording in the Bible. See Mother of God and My Take on Trinity.

I try to avoid isms because they tend to over-generalize, e.g., Onanism, Calvinism, etc. I find that people who like to generalize tend to over-generalize.

I use First-Order Logic for formal reasoning. I am slow in the sense that I'd like to the detailed step-by-step logical deductions without any missing steps. People who are not trained in formal logic tend to jump to conclusions. They conflate ∃-for-some with ∀-for-all.

Analogical reasoning is not a valid method within the framework of FOL. I rarely use it. When others do, I don't put much weight on it.

Many passages are symbolic and poetic, rich with figures of speech. They must be considered first before applying first-order logic to the resultant proposition statements.

However, FOL does not always resolve a problem. Then I employ probabilistic analysis. David did as well.

Subjective (Bayesian) Probability
Step 1: When there is no clear binary (yes or no) answer to an issue, I automatically resort to probabilistic reasoning by weighing the evidence. This process is dynamic. As I learn more evidence, my opinion may change dynamically. I almost never refute anything 100%; I weigh every piece of evidence. Some paradoxes/contradictions such as false dichotomy can be nicely solved by Co-Reality Model, i.e., the horizontal perspective actually complements the vertical perspective.

When it comes to eschatological stuff, I often take the lazy way out, i.e., wait until after the facts.

I try to use the following words only in their formal sense: prove, deduce, conclude, imply, contradict, therefore, unique, etc.

I try to avoid these words and phrases of extreme: absolutely, certainly, obviously, clearly, irrefutable proof, the only way, no doubt, nothing to do with, must, have to, of course, absurd, debunk, easily, simply, most, best, very, the Bible does not say, etc. I find people who overuse these words and superlatives are sometimes unbalanced and intellectually immature. How do I know that? Well, because I was like that in my younger hormonal days :)

When disagreeing, I try to accommodate and find common ground. I admit different options with probabilities. I'm actually happy when someone proves me wrong because that means I would have learned something that I didn't know before. I enjoy the freedom to learn from everyone in the forum.

Proverbs 18:

Proverbs 19:

Psalm 131:

Titus 3:

I have been reading the Bible every day since 1994. Familiarize yourself with the whole Bible by daily reading.

People tend to believe what they subjectively want to believe. This approach offers a degree of objectivity in biblical interpretation. It will not resolve all differences but it guarantees to terminate any arguments within a practical number of steps provided all the participants agree to follow all the rules in this OP.

The goal is to arrive at a consentaneous set of Christian beliefs by logical and probabilistic reasoning to Biblical hermeneutics. This can be a unifying force but I'm not interested in building an echo chamber. I welcome anyone who is sincere, objective, and civil. The potential collective intelligence of this kind of community is unbeatable :)

Fancy. Perhaps legal--or illegal. I mean you've brought a gun to a knife fight...violating, well, surely it violates something you just stated.

The scriptures "are spiritually discerned."

But hey, welcome, and all the best to you in your approach!

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Disclaimer: I am not against other scholarly or spiritual approaches to hermeneutics. In fact, I employ these approaches as well as the one that I am proposing here.

I'd like to propose a denomination-free, logical, and probabilistic approach to interpreting the Scripture. I have never been an official member of any denomination or church. This is my attempt to minimize inconsistencies in theologies among different denominations and doctrines.

To ensure that everyone is talking about the same thing, it is important to have an agreed operational definition of the key terms. Let's say we are talking about freewill. Then definition D(x) will decide whether x is an instance of freewill or not. Freewill needs to be objectively recognized or measured by some procedure D. Without an agreed-upon D, there is little point in proceeding any further in the debate.

I instinctively practice Occam's razor. I put more weight on simple arguments over complicated ones, more weight on direct statements over implied conclusions, and more weight on unifying explanations over ad-hoc explanations. I look for elegance. E.g., see Homosexual acts are sinful.

I try to stick precisely to the words and wording in the Bible. See Mother of God and My Take on Trinity.

I try to avoid isms because they tend to over-generalize, e.g., Onanism, Calvinism, etc. I find that people who like to generalize tend to over-generalize.

I use First-Order Logic for formal reasoning. I am slow in the sense that I'd like to the detailed step-by-step logical deductions without any missing steps. People who are not trained in formal logic tend to jump to conclusions. They conflate ∃-for-some with ∀-for-all.

Many passages are symbolic and poetic, rich with figures of speech. They must be considered first before applying first-order logic to the resultant proposition statements.

However, FOL does not always resolve a problem. Then I employ probabilistic analysis. David did as well.

Subjective (Bayesian) Probability
Step 1: When there is no clear binary (yes or no) answer to an issue, I automatically resort to probabilistic reasoning by weighing the evidence. This process is dynamic. As I learn more evidence, my opinion may change dynamically. I almost never refute anything 100%; I weigh every piece of evidence. Some paradoxes/contradictions such as false dichotomy can be nicely solved by Co-Reality Model, i.e., the horizontal perspective actually complements the vertical perspective.

I try to use the following words only in their formal sense: prove, deduce, conclude, imply, contradict, therefore, unique, etc.

I try to avoid these words and phrases of extreme: absolutely, certainly, obviously, clearly, irrefutable proof, the only way, no doubt, nothing to do with, must, have to, of course, absurd, debunk, easily, simply, most, best, very, the Bible does not say, etc. I find people who overuse these words and superlatives are sometimes unbalanced and intellectually immature. How do I know that? Well, because I was like that in my younger hormonal days :)

When disagreeing, I try to accommodate and find common ground. I admit different options with probabilities. I'm actually happy when someone proves me wrong because that means I would have learned something that I didn't know before. I enjoy the freedom to learn from everyone in the forum.

Proverbs 18:

Proverbs 19:

Psalm 131:

Titus 3:

People tend to believe what they subjectively want to believe. This approach offers a degree of objectivity in biblical interpretation. It will not resolve all differences but it guarantees to terminate any arguments within a practical number of steps provided all the participants agree to follow all the rules in this OP.

The goal is to arrive at a consentaneous set of Christian beliefs by logical and probabilistic reasoning to Biblical hermeneutics. This can be a unifying force but I'm not interested in building an echo chamber. I welcome anyone who is sincere, objective, and civil. The potential collective intelligence of this kind of community is unbeatable :)

Ok....
Well this thought line was originally used by the production of the NIV.

The story before the story of the NIV?
Every denomination and group refused to even think about using it as every denomination had their pet theologies destroyed by the truth of scripture....

From the Presbyterians to the Methodists and Baptists....everyone hated the translations. Nevermind the non-biblical writings of the early church that explained most every single "sticky spot" and even the "lost letters of Paul" that really have never been lost shed light on so much....

So....
Things were translated in such a fashion to help the NIV be accepted and sold to pay the debts of the translation company.
However....
They also wrote an expositional commentary discussing in precise detail what was written and why it was written in the manner it was written in. Theological positions of the various denominations? They absolutely didn't care about those things at all. And basically they ALL were debunked.

So....
Here is the problem with "knowing too much".
Where are you going to go to church?
Where are you going to be able to find friends?
What church would be willing to accept you and your beliefs?
How much bad theology are you going to be able to hold your nose over?

• Haha
Reactions: ScottA

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe one aspect if biblical understanding is to interpret the word in a way it agrees.

a good example in romans 4 vs james 2.. appearantly contradictory.. so interpret so they both aagree

Reactions: ScottA

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Where are you going to go to church?
Good question. In fact, I set a goal to visit all churches in Toronto 3 years ago. I am about 80% done now.

Where are you going to be able to find friends?
Another good question. I find friends in different churches.

What church would be willing to accept you and your beliefs?
I don't know. I have not asked any of the churches to join my beliefs nor is it my purpose to. Having said that anyone are free join my subreddit.

How much bad theology are you going to be able to hold your nose over?
This is the best question. I accept any theology that passes the criteria in my OP at the top here :)

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe one aspect if biblical understanding is to interpret the word in a way it agrees.

a good example in romans 4 vs james 2.. appearantly contradictory.. so interpret so they both aagree

You refer to the bigger issue. Excellent!

What you are referring to is the need to "reconcile" all that is written-- which of course must be. After all, God does not disagree or contradict Himself. And yet people do in the handling of His word and fail.

Still there is an even bigger issue behind all these pesky would-be variables, which, because it is God who is actually in control of all things and would not jeopardize His own purpose, it is or should be obvious that it is intentional. But why? I'll tell you why.

This is the means by which God has determined to transition the revelation of all truth from His eternally based reality to this time based unreality, and back again...while nearly everyone involved unknowing does not realize that even though the clocks of time are moving, nothing has actually changed except the turnover of one generation to the next unto the end, each having their more or less equal time under the sun.

@TonyChanYT I hope you're getting this ;)

Last edited:

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Solomon in Ecclesiastes said something like:
"Too much study will make you weary."

And that's close to what he meant....
It puts your head in the clouds and worthless for carrying out your faith. You fit in nowhere....and you end up in a position where you can't share what you have learned.
Because:

People don't care what you know if they don't know that you care.

Lots of people running around claiming they have special access to God. Jerusalem fever notwithstanding....there is no beatitude that says, "Blessed are the theologically correct for they shall rule in heaven" .
(And I love the poetry of the beatitudes)

When I started my studies long ago I didn't understand the consequences of my actions. I was hungry and thirsty because I wanted to understand what God had said for myself...beyond what others were saying because I wanted to get closer to God. And I started down a very deep rabbit hole. Some of my thoughts are now beyond my ability to find out about and discover the truth. I know the information is available....but finding it is going to be extremely difficult and expensive. I've discussed my ideas with some biblical research scholars and they are having enough difficulty getting the fruits of their research out as it is....the patrons locking it away to keep it from getting out. Nevermind some highly controversial topics.
And as an FYI some of the stuff the scholars have written about is extremely explosive....true but explosive (calvinists are definitely hiding a LOT intentionally)

So what do you hope to gain?

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was reading 1 Thessalonians today, in the NASB and it seemed like Paul was really talking about the coming of the Lord Jesus Christ then to them... I read 4 chapters back to back...

It's interesting when you do that.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I think that's a big part of confusion over what the Bible means. We have to interpret in such a way that all passages harmonize. It seems to me that many people reach a conclusion about one passage which conflicts with another passage, and instead of re-thinking it, they just declare the other passage doesn't really mean that.

I see this routinely.

Much love!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
So what do you hope to gain?

GRACE ambassador

Mar 1, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Precious friend, appreciate your valuable input. I will have to give this further consideration and find
if they will complement my own findings of Bible study Rules.

Amen.

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sadly, to many people are stuck in what they were taught.. I doubt until Christ returns there will be agreement

Reactions: TonyChanYT