Christopher Hitchens is dead

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Wonder when people are going to start making claims about a death bed conversion....

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
He apparently wasn't shy about his drinking and smoking habits.

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What a sad reality when people wake up in hell. I wonder how much time will elapse before they come to the understanding of their horrible mis-calculations. It is an easy thing for we humans to build what ever reality we please in our imagination why we are feeling the warm sun on our shoulders, clean oxygen from the atmosphere, full bellies from food and wine, and the everyday pleasures available to us here on earth. But in that place there is no sun for the shoulders, no clean oxygen for the lungs, no food or wine for the belly, and no pleasures for the flesh.

For it is written, As I live, saith the Lord, every knee shall bow to me, and every tongue shall confess to God.- Romans 11:14

Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name: That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth; And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father. - Philippians 2:9,10,11

But look at the state of planet earth! It is become politically in-correct to even name the name of Jesus! Preachers are now omitting it praying 'in thy holy name, amen.' What will soften them up? I believe that during the great millennial that those souls will be left for torture in hell fire. After over 1,000 years of that they will be more than eager to bow the knee before Christ!

Foreigner

Apr 14, 2010
I have never heard anyone claim he had a "sudden deathbed conversion."

Though for his sake, one can always hope...

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have never heard anyone claim he had a "sudden deathbed conversion."

Though for his sake, one can always hope...

He didn't - neither did Darwin.

Foreigner

Apr 14, 2010
He didn't - neither did Darwin.

- No one mentioned Darwin.
But it was nice of the Hitchens family to give you access to his bedside, allowing you to hear every whispered word he made right up until his last breath.
You must be very special.

Templar81

Apr 14, 2010
UK
I'm sure Mr Hitchens will not be spending much onheting bills in the afterlife if you know what I mean.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
- No one mentioned Darwin.
But it was nice of the Hitchens family to give you access to his bedside, allowing you to hear every whispered word he made right up until his last breath.
You must be very special.

There is an urban legend that Darwin confessed and became a Christian on his deathbed. Many Christians I have met like to believe that Darwin took back his ideas about evolution.

Hitchens was an atheist who challenged Christianity. I think it would be just as tempting for Christians to believe that he renounced his ideas against Christianity, confessed his sins and became a Christian on his deathbed.

Therefore, I am left wondering if a new urban legend will appear about Hitchens last few hours before his death.

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm sorry, but who is he? I looked at the wikipedia article on him.... So what? Why should I care that much other than it's sad that anyone dies? Is there a reason I should mourn? I wish his family well, but that's about it.

Foreigner

Apr 14, 2010
There is an urban legend that Darwin confessed and became a Christian on his deathbed. Many Christians I have met like to believe that Darwin took back his ideas about evolution.

Hitchens was an atheist who challenged Christianity. I think it would be just as tempting for Christians to believe that he renounced his ideas against Christianity, confessed his sins and became a Christian on his deathbed.

Therefore, I am left wondering if a new urban legend will appear about Hitchens last few hours before his death.

-- I highly doubt that Hitchens gave his life to Christ before he died.

Anyone who wasn't there but claims for a fact that he didn't obviously isn't speaking from a position of first-hand knowledge

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've heard Darwin did concede to the almighty before he died, and I also heard it is urban myth.... It is between the Lord and him now..... Funny thing is I saw a copy of Origin of Species on the shelf at the library today. I haven't read it, so I can't pass judgment on him or what he said. To me its all heresay and such.... I'd rather read what a man said before judging him.

Foreigner

Apr 14, 2010
FHII, you are correct.​
Whether Darwin did or didn't isn't the issue. That is between he and God.​
If he did, Christians would use that to claim that is proof his conclusions were wrong.​
Non-Christians would claim that he suddenly believing is "some unproven god" doesn't negate his findings.​

Let his findings stand or fall based on fact, now his personal beliefs.​

The truth about his findings are slowly coming to light and things are changing.​

His possible "deathbed conversion" only muddles the discussion from both sides.​

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is interesting that Origin of Species is so controversial - I think it says more about Biblical literalism than Christianity . I think Freud's "The Future of an Illusion" is much more damning of religion than Darwin or Hitchens. It is actually a good book to read because it really bring the critiques of religion out in the open, without at lot of ad hominem.

Yes Foreigner - this is my opinion.