Has anyone been a family caregiver?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am interested in taking in my father. He's getting old and he can hardly get himself out of bed. He's not in a good situation right now and lives in a camper.

The state that I'm looking into doesn't require a license. Just a background check. I'm wondering if it's something I could do full time. Just curious about your experiences.

Reactions: Ziggy

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I take care of my dad. I haven't gone to the state of Maine for a license.
It's not easy. I guess it depends on the er character of the person your caring for.
My dad is easy going when it comes to what to eat or what to watch on tv, the basics.
He can't go the bathroom himself or dress himself and is having trouble feeding himself.
It is a full time job.
Dad got a bladder infection a few weeks ago and I admitted him into the hospital. He is now in rehab and hopefully he will be coming home early February.
He has high blood pressure, chronic kidney disease, borderline diabetis, gout, arthritis. His whole body is basically broken.
He uses a walker but his legas are getting weak and he has a hard time getting himself in and out of bed.

So you have to watch the diet, keep them clean. I can't get dad in and out of the shower because it's in the tub. So I have to give him sponge baths and wash his hair sometimes with dry shampoo. He is having trouble shaving himself so now I do that too.

I have no complaints except for myself, that I don't have enough training or knowledge how to look out for every something out of the ordinary, like skin rashes, bruising, mind wandering...
I've been caring for him full time since April.
It's an honor to be able to do what I do. I just wish I knew more about what it is I'm doing.
I talk with the nutritioinists, the doctors, nurses, physical therapists and gather as much information as I can.
He will be 89 in February. I want to make the rest of his time here as comfortable and pleasant a s possible.

I wish I could help you concerning caregiving and the States policies. I just havent looked into them myself.
I also am disabled and on SS, so I don't have a job outside my home. So I am able to be here 24/7/365.
I have my groceries delivered and do all my bills online so I don't have to go anywhere and leave him alone.
He likes going for rides but getting him into and out of the wheelchair is becoming challenging.
I'm hoping this spring he is feeling stronger. We just baught a patio swing that he can go out and sit on.
It's just getting him out the door that's the tricky part.

God Bless You
You may want to contact your representative or the governor of your state, check online or with his health insurance company.
Somebody knows something somewhere.

Hugs

• Love
Reactions: Debp and Lambano

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I take care of my dad. I haven't gone to the state of Maine for a license.
It's not easy. I guess it depends on the er character of the person your caring for.
My dad is easy going when it comes to what to eat or what to watch on tv, the basics.
He can't go the bathroom himself or dress himself and is having trouble feeding himself.
It is a full time job.
Dad got a bladder infection a few weeks ago and I admitted him into the hospital. He is now in rehab and hopefully he will be coming home early February.
He has high blood pressure, chronic kidney disease, borderline diabetis, gout, arthritis. His whole body is basically broken.
He uses a walker but his legas are getting weak and he has a hard time getting himself in and out of bed.

So you have to watch the diet, keep them clean. I can't get dad in and out of the shower because it's in the tub. So I have to give him sponge baths and wash his hair sometimes with dry shampoo. He is having trouble shaving himself so now I do that too.

I have no complaints except for myself, that I don't have enough training or knowledge how to look out for every something out of the ordinary, like skin rashes, bruising, mind wandering...
I've been caring for him full time since April.
It's an honor to be able to do what I do. I just wish I knew more about what it is I'm doing.
I talk with the nutritioinists, the doctors, nurses, physical therapists and gather as much information as I can.
He will be 89 in February. I want to make the rest of his time here as comfortable and pleasant a s possible.

I wish I could help you concerning caregiving and the States policies. I just havent looked into them myself.
I also am disabled and on SS, so I don't have a job outside my home. So I am able to be here 24/7/365.
I have my groceries delivered and do all my bills online so I don't have to go anywhere and leave him alone.
He likes going for rides but getting him into and out of the wheelchair is becoming challenging.
I'm hoping this spring he is feeling stronger. We just baught a patio swing that he can go out and sit on.
It's just getting him out the door that's the tricky part.

God Bless You
You may want to contact your representative or the governor of your state, check online or with his health insurance company.
Somebody knows something somewhere.

Hugs
Thanks, Ziggy! Your dad sounds a lot like mine, but my dad is in his 60s now. He's had multiple strokes. I'm looking around to see what would be best for family. I don't mind re-locating. I am a little worried about job opportunities and the expenses for where I would LIKE to go, but God took care of me before and I trust him to take care of us again.

My brother has been taking care of him, but he is young and also needs a chance to take care of himself and start his own life. I feel like it would be hard for me to stay at home a lot and that's my main concern, but I'm pretty sure Mr. Duck's family would really encourage the opposite.

I will take a look at the link!

Reactions: Debp and Ziggy

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Ah Fluffy, what is God telling you about adding additional stress to your daily life.

Caring for an elderly person will take over your life and increase your stress levels as you wait for their next call for assistance. Particularly if your life at present is stressful.

Shalom

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ah Fluffy, what is God telling you about adding additional stress to your daily life.

Caring for an elderly person will take over your life and increase your stress levels as you wait for their next call for assistance. Particularly if your life at present is stressful.

Shalom
I agree but I have someone else I take care of at home already and I manage my own department. Not that the job is hard. It's not. Balancing is hard.

It's just I think it might be a benefit to everyone if I could go back to being at home and I could provide better.

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I agree but I have someone else I take care of at home already and I manage my own department. Not that the job is hard. It's not. Balancing is hard.

It's just I think it might be a benefit to everyone if I could go back to being at home and I could provide better.

Go and speak with your Father God and see what He is telling you to do. Also speak to the other significant person in your life and inquire of him what God is whispering in his ear as to what should happen in your joint household.

Asking for advice on any sort of forum only bring out the crazies on the forum who give advice whether it is helpful or not. They will only add to your confusion while trying to make an informed decision.

As you both jointly press further into God's warm embrace, He will lead you in the way you should go which will be of benefit to you, your other significant person and those whom you are or might, in the future, care for.

Shalom

Reactions: DuckieLady

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Can you have him to stay for a few weeks as a break, so that you can see how you get on and then give yourself some time to think it all through?
The problem with choosing the full time option is that once you commit to the full time care role it’s very difficult to change if you find it too difficult.
I cared for my dad, but he didn’t live with me but just down the road from me. It was hard work on a mental and emotional level, and we got on okay.

Also can I ask, why do you need a license and check when it’s your father. Over here in the U.K. if it’s a family member you can be a full time carer for them automatically.

Rita

Reactions: Debp

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My wife and I are taking care of her adult son, who has incurable cancer. (See prayer forum around August.) I can also speak from the perspective of providing transportation and other support to a friend from church who was first the sole caregiver for her own mother, and now is the live-in caregiver for a childhood friend's elderly mother.

Constant caregiving is emotionally draining. It can also strain your relationship with the one you're caring for. Plan to take a little time regularly just to step away. Which leads to...

Make sure you have someone who can back you up when you need to step away, or in case you get sick, or need to go out of town for something. My wife and I at least have each other. My friend has nobody, so when she had to go to the hospital for her own health problems, then it became a panic exercise to find someone to stay with Mom.

The stress of being a full-time caregiver can also spill over into your relationship with your significant other. Take time for each other. Remember to be kind to one another. And pray a lot. (Edit: I wouldn't recommend that a young blended-family just starting out together jump right away into being a full-time caregiver for a senior with disabilities, but I realize life happens.)

As Ziggy mentioned, make sure you know how to handle basic medical care and have a plan for how to handle emergencies.

Ziggy also brought up bathing and the like. We found we had to make engineering changes to the premises to accommodate a disabled person such as shower benches, grab bars, etc. Ramps and turning a downstairs room into a bedroom may be next.

If you're going to quit your job to be a full-time caregiver, I hope you have a reliable source of income and better financial management skills than my friend. (Don't get me started on that.) Everything is more expensive than you thought.

God be with you at this time in your life.

Last edited:
Reactions: Debp

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

sorry Fluffy, I mean Duckie ......fluffy's stuck in the collective memory of ragamuffins and other quackers!

Reactions: DuckieLady

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am interested in taking in my father. He's getting old and he can hardly get himself out of bed. He's not in a good situation right now and lives in a camper.

The state that I'm looking into doesn't require a license. Just a background check. I'm wondering if it's something I could do full time. Just curious about your experiences.
Are you thinking of getting paid for the caregiving? Maybe that's why you mentioned a license? Most States wouldn't require a license, I don't think.

I take care full-time of my mom who will be 94 years old in February. Been doing it full-time since she fractured her back in October 2022. I do every thing for her.

I bought a commode (portable toilet) which I place by her bed at night. In the daytime I help her to the sofa where she lays down, and I move the commode next to the sofa.

I don't get paid for doing this. But I understand some caregivers do get paid from the State.... maybe if their family member is on Medi-Cal or Medicaid.

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ziggy also brought up bathing and the like. We found we had to make engineering changes to the premises to accommodate a disabled person such as shower benches, grab bars, etc. Ramps and turning a downstairs room into a bedroom may be next.
I live in Dad's 3 bedroom mobile home. Of which only the master bedroom is used. The other two are still filled with STUFF that needs to be either taken out to the garage in which there is no room there either, sold in a yard sale, or thrown away. It's not my STUFF, it's Dad;s girlfriends.
Anywhooo.

Dad lives in the livingroom.
I have a full sized bed against the wall. And I just recently got a grab bar that would help him raise himself from a flat position, but his hand can hardly grasp it his arthritis is so bad.
Beside the bed is an upright recliner to give him a boost getting out of it.
At the foot of the bed is a portable potty. So he don't have to walk up and down the hall and possibly trip in the middle of the night.
The tv is adjusted so he can watch from the recliner or the bed.
I use folding tables for meals. And I sit in the recliner next to his and we eat our meals together.
Kind of like a studio apartment, everything squished in one room.
This is kind of similar except I have 2 recliners instead of a sofa, and a table lamp between the recliners, instead of a sofa table. and this one is more modern. I need to do somthing with the walls, paint or wallpaper. It's so out of date lol.
When you walk in the front door, you are walking into the foot of the bed.

1705833269526.png

I didn't have any warning he was coming to stay with me last April. He just said as we were leaving the hospital, "I'm coming home with you" . But he had been coming over through the six years I been living here. So I did some of the changes over time.
It wasn't a complete shock of where to set him up. So that everything was in reach.
The kitchen and livingroom are open concept, no wall between them, so I can still talk and watch tv while I'm cooking.

One night not long ago, he slid off the bed and landed on his fanny. I couldn't get him up. He couldn't get his legs under him.
He weighs about 200 pounds. So I had to call the EMS to come out and help me pick him up. 3 am.

It's a challenge. And it can frustrate you. There are things I would like to do like install a walk in shower or tub.
The problem is getting him to go from room to room. I would have to install it in the livingroom, and it's tight enough as it is LOL

Definately need a sense of humor, because it can get pretty tense.
There are accidents and having to get up in the middle of the night and change the linen, give a bath, redress, sometimes more than once in a night.
The planning of meals. What would you like for dinner dad? Whatever you put on the plate.
Except shepherd's pie. He don't like the combo. Seperate ok, but not together.
So I thought about making a menu for the week. With choices of breakfast, lunch, snack, dinner. He never looked at it.
So I picked for both of us.
You learn their likes and dislikes by trial and error.
It's a commitment and once it's yours, you do the best you can with what you got.

My cold is about gone and this stomach bug is still giving me a hard time. But if it's nice enough today I may go and see dad at the rehab.
I haven't seen him for 2 weeks. I call daily, my daughter calls. But I need to get over there and see him.
It's a 2 hour round trip. And on the days I feel ok there's been snow. And on the days I feel crappy the sun shines.
Timing, everything is timing.

Hopefully he'll be home in a couple weeks. I been taking a break and resting and now it's time to get back into gear.
Hugs

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'd have to do a lot more than safety stuff.. I need a whole new place. Lol It's just not enough.

I sent him some grippy stuff for his porch to keep him from falling and also some kind of stool thing to help him get out of bed. I don't live in the same state as my dad but my mom is visiting him and said it worked.

Are you thinking of getting paid for the caregiving? Maybe that's why you mentioned a license? Most States wouldn't require a license, I don't think.
Yes, in the state I'm currently in they do have some requirements, which is why I'm looking in another state. I would stay home if I could. I could do it but there are so many benefits in other places for everyone that I feel like it would better if I looked somewhere else.

The planning of meals. What would you like for dinner dad? Whatever you put on the plate.
Except shepherd's pie. He don't like the combo. Seperate ok, but not together.
Dad had a specific diet for many, many years...

Two eggs, two sausages, toast.
Cigarettes for lunch.
Chili

Otherwise beef stew, pizza, or chicken. I don't remember much else.

Reactions: Ziggy