Confidence In The Flesh?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
But you keep trying to misrepresent me instead.
fwiw i would normally do this, yes, believing it to be the best way to challenge a new idea; but really, after you have said
We cannot repent "of sins" to be saved because it's the same as being justified by the law
you did all the work for me. i'm kind of curious what kind of response you even expected here?

Godssrvr

Jan 16, 2018
South East/Tuscaloosa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
fwiw i would normally do this, yes, believing it to be the best way to challenge a new idea; but really, after you have said

you did all the work for me. i'm kind of curious what kind of response you even expected here?

This is not a new idea, though it may be for you.

The only reason I'm responding to you at all is because someone else may be helped through the answer. It seems you are hell bent on building your pride trying to look like some great theologian, while completely ignoring the truth of scripture. I hope the scripture given will stop your mouth (Romans 3:19) so you can recognize it's truth.

We all have sins we are guilty of. No one can make themselves perfect (even you), we can only be made perfect by a work of grace through justification by faith. If our faith is not solely in Christ as our Savior, we have not recognized ourselves as helpless and totally dependent on Him. This kind of prideful heart must be humbled before we can be justified by faith.

Faith in Him means no trust in ourselves. This is what Paul is teaching in the passage in Philippians 3 which I used in the original post (you know, the first point made which you ignored). It's a truth we must recognize about ourselves, and about Christ. When we have recognized our helplessness and trusted Christ alone without "confidence in the flesh", we have "repented" toward justification (salvation).

Let's say a person is a habitual liar. He stops telling lies and never lies again. He has "repented" of that sin, but it has nothing to do with justifying himself because God said.......

Galatians 2:16
16 Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified.

Therefore, since no man can be justified by the law, repenting "of sins" has absolutely nothing to do with justification before God, and if your dependence is on your "turning from sin", then God considers it a debt He owes, which cancels His grace!

Romans 4:4-5
4 Now to him that worketh is the reward not reckoned of grace, but of debt.

5 But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
ok, well sorry if i did this wrong, i tend to overstate my case sometimes i guess? Which i didn't think i was doing here at all!
And best of luck with "you don't have to repent of your sins" ok

10 That I may know him, and the power of his resurrection, and the fellowship of his sufferings, being made conformable unto his death;

not sure how you are getting "don't repent of sins" from this, and i was kind of hoping Helen or someone more acceptable would walk through this, so maybe, we'll see. You are correct in that we have several variations of "you don't have to apologize to ppl you harm" here, ranging from "you only need to confess sin to God" to "you only need to confess your sins to some guy in a closet" to "someone who is saved cannot sin," in a couple diff flavors now, to your interp here, none of which make it through the fire imo. We get about 20 ppl a year through here with some variation of "you don't have to admit when you're wrong," so i hope you understand ok

fwiw it seems like you are saying that Paul meant to repent of a way of thinking, as if that might erase it forever or something, when we are assured that we must "die daily," which imo also seems to contest your point

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Romans 4:4-5
4 Now to him that worketh is the reward not reckoned of grace, but of debt.

5 But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness.
um, we have some, or several, "simply simply" believers here, too fwiw, who misinterpret this the same way you do imo. Of course you can't really have a convo with them about spiritual growth or anything, picking up your cross and following, counting the cost, even living sacrifice, these are all more or less off the table, but just to let you know you aren't alone. Can't think of who the "simply simply" guy is here, nice guy tho

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
I have shown by scripture (which you continue to ignore) that in the context of justification, You can't repent of sins to be justified! It's not my word, but God's!
go with that then, and btw that is not God's Word either, God's Word works just like your word, requires presence and breath, etc.
Gotta run, have a nice day

exercising faith in Christ is much harder than keeping the law,
not easier like tassle-toes says, ok.
i'm guessing you "believe" in OSAS, too?
see, these heresies all hang together
i'll be hearing how God told me that Jesus was coming back in the clouds to "rapture" me here in a minute too, i guess
or even better yet, how God told you that, and i should of course be paying you attn lol. No offense ok, but i'm doing God's will myself!

Last edited:

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
uYw2orF.jpg

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
It wasn't lying, stealing, drunkenness, coveting, taking the Lords name in vain, or any other such sins of the flesh that Paul had to repent of to be saved, he had to repent of his self righteous thinking!
self-righteous thinking is also a sin "of the flesh" though, so a false dichotomy (imo) is being introduced here right away

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
We cannot repent "of sins" to be saved because it's the same as being justified by the law, and God said that can't happen.
That can't happen because we can't do it, not because it would not justify you if you could though, see. The Law is counted Holy in Scripture, whereas Scripture is not! as hard as that is to believe. i'm rushed now or i'd dig it up, but any Bible search will verify

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Scripture teaches we are justified by faith alone (Romans 3:19-28).
yes, but "faith" is a very hard thing, not a very easy thing like a belief, and again here we have a false premise, that faith means "just believe," when that is not true.

i haven't even brought any Scripture to bear here yet, and i'll stop the line-by-line shred here unless you are game ok.
best wishes to you

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
I have shown by scripture (which you continue to ignore)
:rolleyes: pls if i opened up the Book here you would start crying, ok
i got 5 pages of "repent from sin" you could not address imo
that in the context of justification, You can't repent of sins to be justified!
since this seems to be your main point, i guess?

While i'm not interested in debating the definition of "justified" here, you might describe what you believe confession and rebound does do for someone then?
For all i know you have a valid point, ok?

Last edited: