Contradiction Or Paradox?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

ReChoired

Nov 26, 2019
Region
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Septuagint translation occurred on Pharos Island beneath the Great Lighthouse of Alexandria.
No.

'Taint no such thing as "the Septuagint". What you are actually referring to is Origen's Hexapla (Catholic).

ReChoired

Nov 26, 2019
Region
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The correct pronunciation of Ἰησοῦς is like "e-sues"
It's actually "E-eh-soos". Most Jews in Jesus day spoke Greek just fine (even the surviving writings of Josephus are in Greek). It was the lingua franca of the then Roman Empire, as English is today.

Joh 12:20 And there were certain Greeks among them that came up to worship at the feast:
Joh 12:21 The same came therefore to Philip, which was of Bethsaida of Galilee, and desired him, saying, Sir, we would see Jesus.​

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, it would mean their parents intermarried with Greeks or Romans.

The Jews intermarried commonly with Gentiles as we see in Samaria etc.

This segregation you think of would have been national suicide in the Roman economy.

They all spoke Greek and even used Roman currency.
Sounds a little like commentary.

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Could we be any more off-topic? What about clean and unclean meats or men wearing long hair?

Reactions: amadeus

ReChoired

Nov 26, 2019
Region
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Could we be any more off-topic? What about clean and unclean meats or men wearing long hair?
What about those topics? Are you saying that there is a paradox or contradiction? If you do, I can address it.

The paradox right now, is someone actually thinks the mythology of the creation of the septuagint is real, when it so ain't as shown by the evidence.

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What about those topics? Are you saying that there is a paradox or contradiction? If you do, I can address it.

The paradox right now, is someone actually thinks the mythology of the creation of the septuagint is real, when it so ain't as shown by the evidence.
That's very clever. What about a Seventh-Day Adventist who doesn't believe in the trinity?

ReChoired

Nov 26, 2019
Region
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Paradox:

God is Merciful.

God is Just.

The Answer?

God is Love.

ReChoired

Nov 26, 2019
Region
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's very clever. What about a Seventh-Day Adventist who doesn't believe in the trinity?
I believe in the Trio, which is scriptural and from the Spirit of Prophecy. Actual Seventh-day Adventists all wrote against the notion of the "Trinity" (citations upon request).

However, I can accept a basic definition of "trinity" if it simply means Three Persons/Beings working together in common Purpose.

“... The word "trinity" is derived from Latin trinitas, meaning "the number three, a triad, tri". This abstract noun is formed from the adjective trinus (three each, threefold, triple),[21] as the word unitas is the abstract noun formed from unus (one).

The corresponding word in Greek is tριάς, meaning "a set of three" or "the number three".[22] The first recorded use of this Greek word in Christian theology was by Theophilus of Antioch in about the year of 170. He wrote:[23][24]

In like manner also the three days which were before the luminaries, are types of the Trinity [Τριάδος], of God, and His Word, and His wisdom. And the fourth is the type of man, who needs light, that so there may be God, the Word, wisdom, man.[25]

Tertullian, a Latin theologian who wrote in the early 3rd century, is credited as being the first to use the Latin words "Trinity",[26] "person" and "substance"[27] to explain that the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit are "tres personae, una substantia".[28] While "personae" is often translated as "persons," the Latin word personae is better understood as referring to roles as opposed to individual centers of consciousness. ...” - Trinity - Wikipedia

Already we can see 2 varying definitions, [1] between Ignatius of Antioch [which is where they were first called “Christians” [Acts 11:26 KJB]], and [2] the later Latin Tertullian, which included “una substantia” (false doctrine).

Yet, throughout history there are further definitions of the word.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sure, I mean it. Do you get to see them all the time, are they all near you?
All within 100 miles in Oklahoma and Kansas except for one lonely granddaughter [about 25] ostracized by her immediate family living in Florida. My wife and I stay in touch with her but she misses the contact and love of siblings and parents. We are unable to fix the problem. Keep her and them in prayer!

ReChoired

Nov 26, 2019
Region
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All within 100 miles in Oklahoma and Kansas except for one lonely granddaughter [about 25] ostracized by her immediate family living in Florida. My wife and I stay in touch with her but she misses the contact and love of siblings and parents. We are unable to fix the problem. Keep her and them in prayer!
Sorry to hear that. Florida is a ways off from Oklahoma and Kansas, and different at that.

Here is a gift for her (and you) if you are able to get it to her.

Sung by our very own Maranatha Sisters (video not of them, was studio sung, video added just to post on youtube).

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe in the Trio, which is scriptural and from the Spirit of Prophecy. Actual Seventh-day Adventists all wrote against the notion of the "Trinity" (citations upon request).

However, I can accept a basic definition of "trinity" if it simply means Three Persons/Beings working together in common Purpose.

“... The word "trinity" is derived from Latin trinitas, meaning "the number three, a triad, tri". This abstract noun is formed from the adjective trinus (three each, threefold, triple),[21] as the word unitas is the abstract noun formed from unus (one).

The corresponding word in Greek is tριάς, meaning "a set of three" or "the number three".[22] The first recorded use of this Greek word in Christian theology was by Theophilus of Antioch in about the year of 170. He wrote:[23][24]

In like manner also the three days which were before the luminaries, are types of the Trinity [Τριάδος], of God, and His Word, and His wisdom. And the fourth is the type of man, who needs light, that so there may be God, the Word, wisdom, man.[25]

Tertullian, a Latin theologian who wrote in the early 3rd century, is credited as being the first to use the Latin words "Trinity",[26] "person" and "substance"[27] to explain that the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit are "tres personae, una substantia".[28] While "personae" is often translated as "persons," the Latin word personae is better understood as referring to roles as opposed to individual centers of consciousness. ...” - Trinity - Wikipedia

Already we can see 2 varying definitions, [1] between Ignatius of Antioch [which is where they were first called “Christians” [Acts 11:26 KJB]], and [2] the later Latin Tertullian, which included “una substantia” (false doctrine).

Yet, throughout history there are further definitions of the word.
A little dodgy, eh? You've made yourself very unclear. A copy-and-paste from Wikipedia? Ignatius and Tertullian? Who cares about them? I thought Adventists were "people of the Book." I've never heard any of this stuff in Sabbath School (maybe we skipped over it). :D

ReChoired

Nov 26, 2019
Region
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A little dodgy, eh? You've made yourself very unclear. A copy-and-paste from Wikipedia? Ignatius and Tertullian? Who cares about them? I thought Adventists were "people of the Book." I've never heard any of this stuff in Sabbath School (maybe we skipped over it). :D
Not being dodgy. I am being specific, since I know the actual definition of "Trinity" that is used in most of the churches, and it is error (again, if you want citations, I can cite them for you).

There is a reason for it (not being mentioned in sabbath school).

"... The enemy of souls has sought to bring in the supposition that a great reformation was to take place among Seventh-day Adventists, and that this reformation would consist in giving up the doctrines which stand as the pillars of our faith, and engaging in a process of reorganization. Were this reformation to take place what would result? The principles of truth that God in His wisdom has given to the remnant church would be discarded. Our religion would be changed. The fundamental principles that have sustained the work for the last fifty years would be accounted as error. A new organization would be established. Books of a new order would be written. A system of intellectual philosophy would be introduced. The founders of this system would go into the cities, and do a wonderful work. The Sabbath, of course would be lightly regarded, as also the God who created it. Nothing would be allowed to stand in the way of the new movement. The leaders would teach that virtue is better than vice, but God being removed they would place their dependence on human power, which, without God, is worthless. Their foundation would be built on the sand, and storm and tempest would sweep away the structure. [82]

Who has authority to begin such a movement? We have our Bibles. We have our experience, attested to by the miraculous working of the Holy Spirit. We have a truth that admits of no compromise. Shall we not repudiate everything that is not in harmony with this truth? {BCL 82.1} ..." - Battle Creek Letters - 1928.
This took place, especially with Glacier View, etc.

Watch this to see the history:

You can also read "The Broken Blueprint" - https://archive.org/download/sda-vance-ferrell-the-broken-blueprint/SDA - Vance Ferrell - The Broken Blueprint.pdf

Especially see the Omega of Apostasy:

Last edited:

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So sad. I have one sibling, an estranged sister. She's consumed with hate. She can't seem to forgive anyone for anything. It's broken my dad's heart so badly, he gets physically ill over it. She used to idolize me. She's hated me for 11 years now. I can't say I'm entirely blameless. I've prayed about it and reconciled a few times, but every time the hate gets worse. I love her so much, but trying to maintain a meaningful relationship with her is like walking through a minefield on eggshells.

ReChoired

Nov 26, 2019
Region
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Here in Samoa and American Samoa, families cannot get back together because no passenger planes are flying in or out, for the last 3/4 year.

People are stuck on island, and others are stuck off island.

Dead persons, are stuck in Hawaii, and cannot come back into the Island to be buried. They are sitting in freezers in Hawaii.

Some complained to the Am.Sam. Gov. to try to fly them in on mail planes, as "cargo", but no go.