Cooking Chili

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What is the best method for cooking chili

• Fast and furious

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dump a can into the microwave, I don't have time to waste

• 1 Cor 8:13 clearly states to not eat meat

• Total voters

biggandyy

I am here to help...
Oct 11, 2011
SWPA
Just wondering what special ingredients you use to make your chili stand out from the rest of the pack?

Arnie Manitoba

Mar 8, 2011
Manitoba Canada
White or brown or molasses?

Usually brown ..... but have used white with good results. Have even used molasses.

Everybody try it some day ..... make your own special recipe chilli ..... set some aside in a smaller pot and add bits of sugar and test as you go ..... what a difference sugar makes ..... not necessarily makes it sweet .... but completely changes the flavor (very much for the better).

Chilli spices and tomato sauce always have a bit of a bitter or acid edge to them .... the sugar tames it and adds to the spice and tomato flavor

.... same as kidney beans .... not very tasty by themselves .... great in chili .... and fabulous in chili with a bit of sugar added.

and of course chili is best after simmered for a long time to let the flavors assimilate .... even better reheated next day .... I make a big pot .... portion out the leftovers in bowl size containers and freeze some for another day.

I also only use regular ground beef and do not drain off the fat .... the lean stuff is way too dry for making decent chili.

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My wife has always made a mean turkey chili. I kinda view turkey as a secret ingredient, but it usually has to do with using some fresh vegetables as well, I think.

Eltanin

Aug 22, 2012
SEMO
I definitely agree with Arnie on the sugar thing...

I use brown sugar, and the day I started my chilli has been everyone's favorite.

I also like to use some ground cumin and a couple of bay leaves for some added undertone... Not many people do that around here...

When it is done, we top a bowl off with some Rotel/Velveeta dip and eat it with Tostitos or Frito scoops...

Aww... now I want to go make chilli... :rolleyes:

aussie

Feb 3, 2013
If you have trouble keeping the chillie dish from being too hot, here is a tip for you.
put in as many chillies as you wish, uncut, test the dish as it cookes and when it reaches the desired level of fieryness, takk all the chillies out and continue the cooking til completed.

biggandyy

I am here to help...
Oct 11, 2011
SWPA
No such thing as "too hot" for me :) But thanks for the tip, everyone else always cries when they eat my chili...

country_lad

Jan 27, 2008
Canada
Split it open from top to bottom and put run the knife down the inside to get the paste out. I put the pods in too because they are so darn expensive I want to get every drop of flavour out of them, but you will want to find and remove the pods once the chilli is done

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
I've never had chili. We have the little red bean type things that people usually have in a pate or a dip...nothing like what this thread is describing anyway. :huh: