Cutting Matt.28:19, "name" in truth meaning?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

RANDOR

Fishin Everyday
Apr 13, 2014
HEAVEN
Jack....once again....huh? me thinks you've been in the sun to long in Hawieeee.....and as you can see I can't spell hawhyeeeee...so how in the heck am I suppose to understand your post :)

ajdiamond

Aug 18, 2011
Minnesota
Jack:

The idea is that name equates to nature. I googled and this quote is on the first page, "In biblical thought, a name is not merely a label of identification but also an expression of the bearer's essential nature." We could probably find 1000's of sources that would say similar. So, name, nature. You've probably heard of this.

In the passage you reference, it speaks of baptizing them in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit. There are various ways religions do this externally. The real work, of course, is inner. The fundamental truth underlying that passage would be, immersing them into the divine nature.

Another simpler-to-understand example of name/nature would be the exoteric ritual of adding "in Jesus name" to the end of a prayer. It is based upon the truth of acting from the place of union, acting from the divine nature within (as opposed to acting from ego or carnal mind or doctrine or rules, etc).

--aj

shturt678

Feb 9, 2013
South Point, Hawaii (Big Island)
RANDOR said:
.once again....huh? me thinks you've been in the sun to long in Hawieeee.....and as you can see I can't spell hawhyeeeee...so how in the heck am I suppose to understand your post :)
Thank you for your response again!

Matt.28:19 This is one of a few that I purposely stated "carried into the name" which is ludicrous - you understood this one for sure.

No one is carried away into the "name."

ajdiamond said:
Jack:

The idea is that name equates to nature. I googled and this quote is on the first page, "In biblical thought, a name is not merely a label of identification but also an expression of the bearer's essential nature." We could probably find 1000's of sources that would say similar. So, name, nature. You've probably heard of this.

In the passage you reference, it speaks of baptizing them in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit. There are various ways religions do this externally. The real work, of course, is inner. The fundamental truth underlying that passage would be, immersing them into the divine nature.

Another simpler-to-understand example of name/nature would be the exoteric ritual of adding "in Jesus name" to the end of a prayer. It is based upon the truth of acting from the place of union, acting from the divine nature within (as opposed to acting from ego or carnal mind or doctrine or rules, etc).

--aj
Thank you for your response!

The main point was no one is baptized "into," and you raised the bar to IITim.2:15 - surprised me for sure, ie, my opinion thus doesn't carry too much weight. RANDOR understood by default - great! You're doing also doing fine, ie, this is a very difficult topic, figured you were ready for it - check your gas guage, filled.

Water baptism takes place in the sphere in the revelation of the Triune God is the direction I was heading - the nature of this name is right on again from my opinion - pure gospel is the other side of the coin was trying to bring forth.

Old Jack taking the heat, I needed it - picking up some dry ice to cool the heat down. Made my day my brothers.

RANDOR

Fishin Everyday
Apr 13, 2014
HEAVEN
Jack i must be losing it....or have already lost it............but many thanks for letting me understand by default :)
I'll take it. I think :)

Rocky Wiley

Aug 28, 2012
Southeast USA
Joh 5:43 I am come in my Father's name, and ye receive me not: if another shall come in his own name, him ye will receive.

Jesus came in his father’s name. His father’s name would be Jesus.

Joh 14:26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

The father will send the Comforter in Jesus’ name. The comforter’s name would be Jesus.

If God demands obedience to detail (you decide), then all Christians should desire to be baptized just as Peter said in:
Act 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

RANDOR

Fishin Everyday
Apr 13, 2014
HEAVEN
Rocky Wiley said:
Joh 5:43 I am come in my Father's name, and ye receive me not: if another shall come in his own name, him ye will receive.

Jesus came in his father’s name. His father’s name would be Jesus.

Joh 14:26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

The father will send the Comforter in Jesus’ name. The comforter’s name would be Jesus.

If God demands obedience to detail (you decide), then all Christians should desire to be baptized just as Peter said in:
Act 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Yep..........I recieved the Holy Ghost 26 years ago..................WOW!!!!!!!!!!! never seen anything like it......Not even Rosetta Stone can help satan understand what God and I talk about :)

Rocky Wiley

Aug 28, 2012
Southeast USA
RANDOR said:
Yep..........I recieved the Holy Ghost 26 years ago..................WOW!!!!!!!!!!! never seen anything like it......Not even Rosetta Stone can help satan understand what God and I talk about :)
Praise the Lord Randor,

Very important step in receiving the Holy Ghost. I assume that you have also received the 'Gift', right?

shturt678

Feb 9, 2013
Thank you folks for caring again!

Only a head's up. Jn.14:16, "another Paraclete" a better rendition. "And I myself will request" refers to His human nature of course. Christ is both divine (God) and human nature united in one Person, undivided. The Person of God the Holy Ghost takes the place of the Godman Jesus at the side of the disciples. He is with you RANDOR, ie, not by default this time.

Acts2:38, "in the name" To be baptized "in the name" means to be water baptized "in connection with the revelation He has made of Himself." Not the "into" part that I mentioned previously.

Old Jack's opinion only

RANDOR

Fishin Everyday
Apr 13, 2014
HEAVEN
Rocky Wiley said:
Praise the Lord Randor,

Very important step in receiving the Holy Ghost. I assume that you have also received the 'Gift', right?
Many gifts my friend........................still unwrappin........YeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeHaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

B

brakelite

If there was a name we were to be known by, would it not be Israel?

Jesus proclaimed Himself as the true vine, in fulfilment of Ps 80:8 which applied to the nation of Israel. Thus Jesus was claioming to be the true Israel in sync with the meaning of the original Israel, 'overcomer.' So now the mantle and authority once bestowed upon the nation has been given to Jesus. Jesus is the essence of true Israel. He only has the right to bear the name for He only has prevailed with sin and overcome. Jesus walked over the same ground that Israel walked, but came through victorious. What Paul does in Romans and other writers in the NT however is extend that idea and show how the name Israel also now applies to Jesus’ descendants, just as it did to Jacob’s descendants. Peter also showed this when he compared the church to Exodus 19:6.(1 Peter 2:9).

shturt678

Feb 9, 2013
brakelite said:
If there was a name we were to be known by, would it not be Israel?

Jesus proclaimed Himself as the true vine, in fulfilment of Ps 80:8 which applied to the nation of Israel. Thus Jesus was claioming to be the true Israel in sync with the meaning of the original Israel, 'overcomer.' So now the mantle and authority once bestowed upon the nation has been given to Jesus. Jesus is the essence of true Israel. He only has the right to bear the name for He only has prevailed with sin and overcome. Jesus walked over the same ground that Israel walked, but came through victorious. What Paul does in Romans and other writers in the NT however is extend that idea and show how the name Israel also now applies to Jesus’ descendants, just as it did to Jacob’s descendants. Peter also showed this when he compared the church to Exodus 19:6.(1 Peter 2:9).
Thank you for caring again!

Jn.15:1, etc. The Godman Jesus embodies the complete will and purposes of God the Father. I see the image of the vine in Ps.80:8, etc., however here giving a new depth and richness. I do see the spiritual Israel if that will help?

Old Jack looking for his glasses again.

B

brakelite

Indeed yes Jack, spiritual Israel was what I was thinking of.

shturt678

Feb 9, 2013
brakelite said:
Indeed yes Jack, spiritual Israel was what I was thinking of.
Was saying to myself, hope brakelite doesn't think I was picking on him?

Amen! I'm an ol' man and too old to pick on the bigger guys.....have RANDOR in my corner, but sometimes he's not there when I need him. :blink:

Old Jack :)

B

brakelite

These are genuine mysteries which we shall never know until the time...be very interesting. What's the bet our new name will be refelctive of our characters? With you Jack Isure hope your new name isn't reflective of your own assessment of your own character...expleteives would not be allowed. I think Jesus assessment would be more complimentary.

Revelation 2:17 He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the hidden manna, and will give him a white stone, and in the stone a new name written, which no man knoweth saving he that receiveth it.
Revelation 3:12 Him that overcometh will I make a pillar in the temple of my God, and he shall go no more out: and I will write upon him the name of my God, and the name of the city of my God, which is new Jerusalem, which cometh down out of heaven from my God: and I will write upon him my new name.

So we end up with two new names written upon us...our own and our Master's. Interesting.

shturt678

Feb 9, 2013
brakelite said:
These are genuine mysteries which we shall never know until the time...be very interesting. What's the bet our new name will be refelctive of our characters? With you Jack Isure hope your new name isn't reflective of your own assessment of your own character...expleteives would not be allowed. I think Jesus assessment would be more complimentary.

Revelation 2:17 He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the hidden manna, and will give him a white stone, and in the stone a new name written, which no man knoweth saving he that receiveth it.
Revelation 3:12 Him that overcometh will I make a pillar in the temple of my God, and he shall go no more out: and I will write upon him the name of my God, and the name of the city of my God, which is new Jerusalem, which cometh down out of heaven from my God: and I will write upon him my new name.

So we end up with two new names written upon us...our own and our Master's. Interesting.
Thank you for your response!

How did you know? I did use an expletive when I hit my finger with a hammar, even a few expletives before I caught myself a few months ago - not good!

Old black and blue fingernailess, named Jack