Days of the Week in English come from Roman Gods!

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi H2S,
This is something I posted about a while back. Since the names of the days of the week were given for the Greek gods and goddesses, how do we know that SATURDAY is the actual Sabbath? God just said to rest on the 7th day. There were no "named days" then. So, if we work from Wed to a Tues. then that is the 7th day! We rest! Don't have anything to back that up with but...it kind of speaks to itself. IMHO
xo
Good point!

Reactions: Nancy

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi H2S,
This is something I posted about a while back. Since the names of the days of the week were given for the Greek gods and goddesses, how do we know that SATURDAY is the actual Sabbath? God just said to rest on the 7th day. There were no "named days" then. So, if we work from Wed to a Tues. then that is the 7th day! We rest! Don't have anything to back that up with but...it kind of speaks to itself. IMHO
xo
The Jews kept track of that.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I hardly think God is so legalistic that He cares on what day of the week we gather...should be way more than one hour a week, that's for sure! Work 6, rest on the 7th...worship Him always, everyday all day. Saturday or Sunday! :)
The God fearing Jews were pedantic about the laws. I doubt that they would have forgotten/let slip the Commandment of the seventh day sabbath through the generations. If any laws were to be remembered it would have been this one. In all their wanderings and back sliding behaviours this one was the distinctive mark from the nations around them.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The God fearing Jews were pedantic about the laws. I doubt that they would have forgotten/let slip the Commandment of the seventh day sabbath through the generations. If any laws were to be remembered it would have been this one. In all their wanderings and back sliding behaviours this one was the distinctive mark from the nations around them.

Yes Q.T., I agree but, I was speaking about the N.C. and Christians in particular.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Yes Q.T., I agree but, I was speaking about the N.C. and Christians in particular.
N.C.?? I had understood you point as being, because man has attempted to alter calendars both in ancient and in not so ancient times the ability to to decipher which the actual 7th day is has been lost and that any 7th day rotation would suffice.

My point was that because God fearing Jews through history have been pedantic about the 7th day....even today, we can with certainty be assured of which is the actual 7th day just by taking note which day the Jews observe.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nancy

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi all, I wanted to thank everyone for their input....Something your comments did was to bring awareness that there is no reason to fret and get concerned about what the days of the week mean and originated from.....and while I agree I also thought this applies to everything that is worldly...we fret and fear what is happening in the world when His Word has told us not to fear...keep our eyes on Him and rejoice knowing that all these things must come to pass but He will see us through.....it's all about fulfilling prophesy....completion....til all things have been accomplished....the more I see what is taking place in the world the more excited I am that Jesus is coming soon....I hope it is in my lifetime.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Hi all, I wanted to thank everyone for their input....Something your comments did was to bring awareness that there is no reason to fret and get concerned about what the days of the week mean and originated from.....and while I agree I also thought this applies to everything that is worldly...we fret and fear what is happening in the world when His Word has told us not to fear...keep our eyes on Him and rejoice knowing that all these things must come to pass but He will see us through.....it's all about fulfilling prophesy....completion....til all things have been accomplished....the more I see what is taking place in the world the more excited I am that Jesus is coming soon....I hope it is in my lifetime.
@Heart2Soul We need to keep looking up: Hebrews 12.2: 'looking unto Jesus'.

Preacher4Truth

Feb 15, 2019
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why all the commotion? "We should all set aside our differences." Right?

Reactions: LC627

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Why all the commotion? "We should all set aside our differences." Right?
Commotion (in this context) is the result of truth and error vying for the ascendency. It will exist as long as sin is part of humanity.