Dead Sea Scrolls - Document belonging to the Instructor

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

SelectThis!

AlephBet - The Strong House of God
Nov 14, 2013
On the Threshold
In my library of ancient manuscripts, I have the complete translated volume of the Dead Sea Scrolls. From cover to cover, nothing I have read in the scrolls compares to this one single document from page 120-122. I have retyped (fair use) it here for debate. Where possible, I have added scripture references and commentary of my own. I will note my commentary as follows: '- - -'

Why am I posting this for debate? Simply to foster healthy discussion about early Hebrew writing and compare their thought process to our own current understanding. There are many interesting passages from this work that I think provide a good backdrop to early Hebraic belief and perspective. Let me know what you think. Before you post a reply, read the red text at the end of this first post.

A Text Belonging to the Instructor

"A
text belonging to the Instructor, who is to enlighten and teach all the Sons of Light about the character and fate of humankind: all their spiritual varieties with accompanying signs, all their deeds generation by generation, and their visitation for afflictions together with eras of peace.

---As I read the Dead Sea Scrolls, there seem to be many documents that suggest the writers are concerned with preserving their thoughts for the future Day of the Lord. In particular, this document claims to belong to an instructor. Of course, our own scriptures say that Jesus is the only one that should be called Teacher. It may be that the writers thought they were leaving this for Christ's return. What I find most striking about the rest of the document is the plain spoken nature of what is said. There are no parables or veiled bits of symbolism. It is simply stated as something the writer considered fact. Matthew 23:10 - Nor are you to be called instructors, for you have one Instructor, the Messiah.

All that is now and ever shall be originates with the God of knowledge. Before things come to be, He has ordered all their designs, so that when they do come to exist—at their appointed times as ordained by His glorious plan—they fulfill their destiny, a destiny impossible to change. He controls the laws governing all things, and He provides for all their pursuits.

---Nothing here could be considered unscriptural. The language is beautifully constructed.

He created humankind to rule over the world, appointing for them two spirits in which to walk until the time ordained for His visitation. There are the spirits of truth and falsehood. Upright character and fate originate with the Habitation of Light; perverse, with the Fountain of Darkness. The authority of the Prince of Light extends to the governance of all righteous people; therefore, they walk in the paths of light. Correspondingly, the authority of the Angel of Darkness embraces the governance of all wicked people, so they walk in the paths of darkness.

---In Ezekiel 28, we have some idea of a Guardian-Cherub that fell from grace. Throughout scripture, we have images of the deceiver, accuser, Satan and the Angel of Darkness. John 1 tells us that Darkness cannot overcome light. Depending on your view of predestination and determinism, this passage might be a good place to express your own map of the territory. It is clear from scripture that the word Heel in Genesis implies that the authority of one is switched to the other. We have the Day of the Lord when the enemy (Darkness) is made the footstool. In Ephesians 3, the Mystery held by God is revealed. Principalities and Rulers of Heavenly Realms are having God revealed by our witness. It is interesting to me to note how the Guardian-Cherub of Ezekiel 28 fell. It was through commerce in God's Temple. Of course, we do not have the details of our back-story. We have bits and pieces.

The authority of the Angel of Darkness further extends to the corruption of all the righteous. All their sins, iniquities, shameful and rebellious deeds are at his prompting, a situation God in His mysteries allows to continue until His era dawns. Moreover, all the afflictions of the righteous, and every trial in its season, occur because of this Angel’s diabolic rule. All the spirits allied with him share but a single resolve: to cause the Sons of Light to stumble.

---As we know from the Bible, the Day of the Lord is the era of the Prophet, Priest and King. His Kingdom has no end. We know that God is a Judge and Christ is an advocate. Satan is the accuser. This likely makes us the witness to this trial of Satan in this place.

Yet the God of Israel (and the Angel of His Truth) assist all the Sons of Light. It is actually He who created the spirits of Light and darkness, making them cornerstone of every deed, their impulses and premise of every action. God’s love for on spirit lasts forever. He will be pleased with its actions for always. The counsel of the other, however, He abhors, hating its every impulse for all time.

---On the side of the Sons of Light, we have the Angel of the Lord. Nothing here is inconsistent with the story we already know from the Bible.

Upon Earth their operations are these: one enlightens a man’s mind, marking straight before him the paths of true righteousness and causing his heart to fear the laws of God. This spirit engenders humility, patience, abundant compassion, perpetual goodness, insight, understanding, and powerful wisdom resonating to each of God’s deeds, sustained by His constant faithfulness. It engenders a spirit knowledgeable in every plan of action, zealous for the laws of righteousness, holy in its thoughts, and steadfast in purpose. This spirit encourages plenteous compassion upon all who hold fast to truth, and glorious purity combined with visceral hatred of impurity in its every guise. It results in humble deportment allied with a general discernment, concealing the truth, that is, the mysteries of knowledge. To these ends is the earthly counsel of the spirit to those whose nature yearns for truth.

---I love the language here when he says, "resonating to each of God's deeds." The word resonating brings a wealth of symbolism. The Trumpet of God, the still small voice and the voice of many waters--or loud thunder--comes to mind. Again, the language here--humble deportment--is woven together with mastery and skill. Of course, the Spirit of God reveals these mysteries to us. I would list many scriptures here, but I am sure you already know them. Galatians 5 comes to mind.

Through a gracious visitation all who walk in this spirit will know healing, bountiful peace, long life and multiple progeny, followed by eternal blessings and perpetual joy through life everlasting. They will receive a crown of glory with a robe of honor, resplendent forever and ever.

---Here, the writer images the book of Revelation with the Crown and Robe. It is interesting to note that the robe in question comes from the suffering of the Saints. When a Shepherd leads the flock through the wilderness, the wool is taken each season. The wool represents the walk on the path of life. The Shepherd then washes the wool white as snow, then gives it back to us as a new Robe. Of course, the Robe (Revelation 6) is our new body and the Crown is a new mind.

The operations of the spirit of falsehood result in greed, neglect of righteous deeds, wickedness, lying, pride, and haughtiness, cruel deceit and fraud, massive hypocrisy, a want of self-control and abundant foolishness, a zeal for manifestation, a reviling tongue, blind eyes, deaf ears, stiff neck, and hard heart—to the end of walking in all the ways of darkness and evil cunning.

---According to Paul (Acts 24), BOTH the righteous and wicked would be together during the last days before the coming of the Lord. As we see these signs fast approaching, it is critical we repent of this Spirit of Darkness. Galatians 5 speaks of this, 2 Timothy 3 speaks of this and many other areas of scripture would back these words up entirely. As 2 Timothy 3 outlines, there are 18 identifiers to mark our selfishness and animal (Beast) nature. Why 18? 6+6+6. He starts the chapter, "Mark this." I think he was revealing a mystery for us to examine.

3 But mark this: There will be terrible times in the last days. 2 People will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boastful, proud, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy, 3 without love, unforgiving, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, not lovers of the good, 4 treacherous, rash, conceited, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God— 5 having a form of godliness but denying its power. Have nothing to do with such people.

Count them. There are 18.

The judgment of all who walk in such ways will be multiple afflictions of God’s furious vengeance, never-ending terror and reproach for all eternity, with a shameful extinction in the fire of Hell’s outer darkness. For all evil, and dark happenstance, until their utter destruction with neither remnant nor rescue.

---This is shocking imagery. It would be interesting to find the passages in Isaiah that match each of these markers.

The struggle for good and evil, and good’s ultimate triumph.

---Take Heart. The writer eventually comes to a middle point of neutral truth. Good triumphs. When? He gives you a marker that matches the law of invariant symmetry in physics. I will get to this next.

The character and fate of all humankind reside with these spirits. All the hosts of humanity, generation by generation, are heirs to these spiritual divisions, walking according to their ways; the outworking of every deed inheres in these divisions according to each person’s spiritual heritage, whether great or small, for every age of eternity. God has appointed these spirits as equals until the last age, and set an everlasting enmity between their divisions. False deeds are thus an abomination to the truth, whereas all the ways of truth are for perversity equally a disgrace. Fierce dispute attends every point of decision, for they can never agree. In his mysterious insight and glorious wisdom God has countenanced an era in which perversity triumphs, but at the time appointed for visitation He shall destroy such forever. Then shall truth come forth in victory upon the earth. Sullied by wicked ways while perversity rules, at the time of the appointed judgment truth shall be decreed. By His truth God shall then purify all human deeds, and refine some of humanity so as to extinguish every perverse spirit from the inward parts of the flesh, cleansing from every wicked deed by a holy spirit. Like purifying waters, he shall sprinkle each with a spirit of truth, effectual against all the abominations of lying and sullying by an unclean spirit. Thereby He shall give the upright insight into knowledge of the Most High and wisdom of the angels, making wise those following the perfect way. Indeed, God has chosen them for an eternal covenant; all the glory of Adam shall be theirs alone. Perversity shall be extinct, every fraudulent deed put to shame.

---Note the part I highlighted above. This is a prophetic statement of a future visitation by God on mankind. Do we see these fierce disputes with every point of discussion on the internet between Christians and Atheists? We even see them between Christians and those who claim the name in vain. As we know, the sheep and goats will be separated.
Matthew 25:31-46 NIV - The Sheep and the Goats

Until now the spirits of truth and perversity have contended within the human heart. All people walk in both wisdom and foolishness. As is a person’s endowment of truth and righteousness, so shall he hate perversity; conversely, in proportion to bequest in the lot of evil, one will act wickedly and abominate truth. God has appointed these spirits as equals until the time of decree and renewal. He foreknows the outworking of their deeds for all the ages of eternity. He has granted them dominion over humanity, so imparting knowledge of good and evil, deciding the fate of every living being by the measure of which spirit predominates in him, until the day of the appointed visitation."

---Thankfully, God will eliminate this condition of the heart. The Spirit of Truth will rise. Christ will come as Lord of Lords and King of Kings. Although it is undetermined as to when this document was written, we at least know it came from the time of Christ. I wonder if the Hebrew writer of this document wrote this before or after the life of the Savior. one thing is for certain, this is an interesting read.

Feel free to dismiss this with scripture of confirm it's words with the same. If you wish to speak of me, keep your Ad Hominem to yourself. For those who cannot abide by this request, see these scriptures:

2 Timothy 2:24
And the Lord's servant must not be quarrelsome but kind to everyone, able to teach, patiently enduring evil…

2 Timothy 2:23-24
Have nothing to do with foolish, ignorant controversies; you know that they breed quarrels. And the Lord's servant must not be quarrelsome but kind to everyone, able to teach, patiently enduring evil,

Proverbs 15:1
A soft answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger.

Romans 12:19
Beloved, never avenge yourselves, but leave it to the wrath of God, for it is written, “Vengeance is mine, I will repay, says the Lord.”

SelectThis!

Nov 14, 2013
On the Threshold
ChristRoseFromTheDead said:
If that's as good as it gets, obviously there's not much to be missed by not reading the DSS.
There is a wealth of information in the Dead Sea Scrolls. It is impossible to understand the ordinances and symbolism in the Bible apart from a Hebraic perspective. When Paul used the term, "Rightly dividing scripture," he was referring to the "Seven Rules of Hillel." Anything that is locked in biblical symbolism in the Bible must be dScribed using the rules of the scribe. Like all higher axioms of truth, the blindness we experience is from pride. The same pride that blinds a sinner from salvation is the same pride that blinds a theologian from the deeper meanings in scripture. Once we humble our mind and heart, the symbolism begins to open like a flower. It will not open if the pride of theology is set with an improper cornerstone. Once the bricks start piling on top, it becomes much harder to get back to the root.

This is the key to allowing the Spirit to speak to the mind. Become like a child again. Judgment is again a pride that locks the mind into that box we hold God inside. To me, this is the dangerous thing about theology. My own view is to test all things, then hold fast to what is good. Division is caused by shutting the door to a neighbor who has bread in his cupboard.

Not only is it necessary to know the truth about the belief and faith you hold, it is important to know the counterfeit truth. Apart from shining a light on both sides, the darkness remains in the shadows. My main goal over the last 30 years has been to examine every square inch of the territory around me. We are here to gather grain. It's a giant field and gleanings are everywhere if you look.

Again, did you read this post: Guardian and Ruth 2

It wasn't until the 19th century that we knew about the non-euclidean geometry. Before that time, it would have been unthinkable that a triangle could have more than 180 degrees. Apart from an understanding of curved spaces, you would not know the answer to this:

How can you travel 10 miles South, 10 miles East and 10 miles North so that you end up in the same spot you started? Is it possible?

If your starting point is the pole of a globe, you will reach the pole again when you make three moves. This is a triangle with more than 180 degrees. By clinging to lower axioms, you would take the attitude you express above. By exploring the contradictions and paradox below, you should always expect that a higher axiom exists above that unifies your division.

Like you and I in this forum, the unity comes by understanding the truth. Until then, pride divides. I will continue praying for you.

Give something a try. Use only the Bible to define a roman legion. You must find the answer within the pages of the Bible. Not from your own knowledge and not from another source. How many in a legion? The answer is this: to know, you must look outside the Bible. There are keys to the Bible on every continent, people group and from every generation that has ever lived. The fruit of the Hebrew tree is everywhere you look--Babel.

Another. If you want to know the significance of Paul being a Roman citizen, do you consult the Bible for ALL the reasoning of the Roman law? No. You must knew Roman culture and study the culture of the day.

There are countless examples.

HeRoseFromTheDead

Not So Advanced Member
Jan 6, 2012
Thes

SelectThis! said:
My main goal over the last 30 years has been to examine every square inch of the territory around me. We are here to gather grain. It's a giant field and gleanings are everywhere if you look.
Ever learning, never able to come to a knowledge of the truth.

Arnie Manitoba

Mar 8, 2011
Manitoba Canada
SelectThis! said:
It wasn't until the 19th century that we knew about the non-euclidean geometry. Before that time, it would have been unthinkable that a triangle could have more than 180 degrees. Apart from an understanding of curved spaces, you would not know the answer to this:

How can you travel 10 miles South, 10 miles East and 10 miles North so that you end up in the same spot you started? Is it possible?

If your starting point is the pole of a globe, you will reach the pole again when you make three moves. This is a triangle with more than 180 degrees. By clinging to lower axioms, you would take the attitude you express above. By exploring the contradictions and paradox below, you should always expect that a higher axiom exists above that unifies your division.

Like you and I in this forum, the unity comes by understanding the truth. Until then, pride divides. I will continue praying for you.
The globe is a man made construct which defines North South East West .... It does not create a paradox

When you say ... How can you travel 10 miles South, 10 miles East and 10 miles North so that you end up in the same spot you started? Is it possible?

It is exactly the same as saying
Start at one point and go ten miles
Then make a 90* turn and go another ten miles
Then head back to your starting point
SelectThis! said:
2 Timothy 2:23-24
Have nothing to do with foolish, ignorant controversies; you know that they breed quarrels. And the Lord's servant must not be quarrelsome but kind to everyone, able to teach, patiently enduring evil,
So pray tell .... why do you bring your foolish controversies here ?

This is not an ad hominem attack
It is a question
OK ?

SelectThis!

Nov 14, 2013
On the Threshold
ChristRoseFromTheDead said:
Thes

Ever learning, never able to come to a knowledge of the truth.
I find it valuable to never take scripture out of context. I can only show what God has revealed to me. I hope this helps you see the verse you quoted more clearly. I am always eager to see my own sins and repent if shadows are found.

Here is the context of 2 Timothy 3

3 But mark this: There will be terrible times in the last days. 2 People will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boastful, proud, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy, 3 without love, unforgiving, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, not lovers of the good, 4 treacherous, rash, conceited, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God— 5 having a form of godliness but denying its power. Have nothing to do with such people.

---He says, "Mark this." Why? There are 18 identifiers with selfishness, which is the mark of the animal nature (Beast) that is being sacrificed in the temple. The temple is the body, but the grain is the crown (mind). Pride blinds us to our own natures. The truth comes when we overcome the beast with the truth of love for others. We treat them as we wish to be treated. Once we find the key to these verses in the overall context of scripture, then the truth sets us free.

---18 items. That's 6+6+6. Mark This!

6 They are the kind who worm their way into homes and gain control over gullible women, who are loaded down with sins and are swayed by all kinds of evil desires, 7 always learning but never able to come to a knowledge of the truth. 8 Just as Jannes and Jambres opposed Moses, so also these teachers oppose the truth. They are men of depraved minds, who, as far as the faith is concerned, are rejected. 9 But they will not get very far because, as in the case of those men, their folly will be clear to everyone.

---Now that we have context, let's proceed.

10 You, however, know all about my teaching, my way of life, my purpose, faith, patience, love, endurance, 11 persecutions, sufferings—what kinds of things happened to me in Antioch, Iconium and Lystra, the persecutions I endured. Yet the Lord rescued me from all of them. 12 In fact, everyone who wants to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will be persecuted,

---In another thread, you were pointing out that I had no followers here and that nobody agreed with me. I agree. This is not a negative thing. It is positive. I am pointing to the Father and to His Son. Look there instead of toward me. The subject of the thread is not about me.

13 while evildoers and impostors will go from bad to worse, deceiving and being deceived. 14 But as for you, continue in what you have learned and have become convinced of, because you know those from whom you learned it, 15 and how from infancy you have known the Holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus. 16 All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, 17 so that the servant of God[a] may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.

---This is the whole context. I hope this helps you see the image clearly.

Arnie Manitoba said:
The globe is a man made construct which defines North South East West .... It does not create a paradox

When you say ... How can you travel 10 miles South, 10 miles East and 10 miles North so that you end up in the same spot you started? Is it possible?

It is exactly the same as saying
Start at one point and go ten miles
Then make a 90* turn and go another ten miles
Then head back to your starting point
A man comes out of his house, walks 10 miles South, then 10 miles East, and finally 10 miles North. He is
now back at his place. When he gets back inside he sees a bear.

What color is the bear? By your reasoning, there is no way to know. Impossible, right? I say white. No other color is likely. I know this because of the higher axiom. Symbolism in the Bible is the same.

Arnie Manitoba said:
So pray tell .... why do you bring your foolish controversies here ?

This is not an ad hominem attack
It is a question
OK ?
We can see truth in reflection. You are asking me a question that is mirrored and loaded. The truth is that you are bringing the controversy. You are then asking me why I bring the controversy. Mirrored. Who else does this?

Aliester Crowley (Builder / Mason who reject the Chief Cornerstone) said, ""Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law"

Jesus (Cornerstone) said, "So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets." Matt 7:12

Which one said the right thing? The one that gives rather than takes. God's will is to give and receive only. The thief takes. As we examine scripture, this lesson is repeated over and over again.

I come here to give. The nature of giving is to then receive. Those who take are thieves. If there is something I say in error, the thread knocks on your door for bread. Give me a loaf.

Arnie Manitoba

Mar 8, 2011
Manitoba Canada
SelectThis! said:
A man comes out of his house, walks 10 miles South, then 10 miles East, and finally 10 miles North. He is
now back at his place. When he gets back inside he sees a bear.

What color is the bear? By your reasoning, there is no way to know. Impossible, right? I say white. No other color is likely. I know this because of the higher axiom. Symbolism in the Bible is the same.
The bears are all white. I fly helicopters near the North Pole . If you ever feel like leaving the warmth of Missouri head straight North until the ground is white and the bears are white and your compass goes in circles .

I will take you on a tour. Here are some recent pictures. Language warning.

http://www.skywolverines.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=38

SelectThis!

Nov 14, 2013
On the Threshold
Arnie Manitoba said:
The bears are all white. I fly helicopters near the North Pole . If you ever feel like leaving the warmth of Missouri head straight North until the ground is white and the bears are white and your compass goes in circles .

I will take you on a tour. Here are some recent pictures. Language warning.

http://www.skywolverines.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=38
The still small voice speaks. If you learn to see synchronicity in events, you see the hand of God. Love the pictures. Sounds like a really interesting job.

Pelaides

Jul 30, 2012
The idea of good-vs-evil,light-vs-darkness can be found in all religions not just judaism.

A austrian psychiatrist named sigmund freud,stole this concept,and renamed it the "id -vs-the "superego'.two forces that governed mans behaviour.

when 2 opposing forces meet it creates energy :eek: ,Look at what happens when man meets woman.

Arnie Manitoba

Mar 8, 2011
Manitoba Canada
SelectThis! said:
The still small voice speaks. If you learn to see synchronicity in events, you see the hand of God. Love the pictures. Sounds like a really interesting job.
It pays really well .... it is a short contract during the time the Polar Bears hang around the shore until the icepack forms ... then the bears spread out all over the arctic to eat seals all winter.

SelectThis!

Nov 14, 2013
On the Threshold
Pelaides said:
The idea of good-vs-evil,light-vs-darkness can be found in all religions not just judaism.

A austrian psychiatrist named sigmund freud,stole this concept,and renamed it the "id -vs-the "superego'.two forces that governed mans behaviour.

when 2 opposing forces meet it creates energy :eek: ,Look at what happens when man meets woman.
Scipturally, I don't find anything wrong with the document. There are no points it makes that seem out of character with many verses we read in the Bible. I think it is interesting that much of the DSS documents are geared toward the time the Messiah returns. It's not just this document. There are others that describe how communities will work and how nations will be governed.

Pelaides

Jul 30, 2012
SelectThis! said:
Scipturally, I don't find anything wrong with the document. There are no points it makes that seem out of character with many verses we read in the Bible. I think it is interesting that much of the DSS documents are geared toward the time the Messiah returns. It's not just this document. There are others that describe how communities will work and how nations will be governed.
That seems to be the foundation of most prophesy,the return of Christ and his kingdom on earth.

SelectThis!

Nov 14, 2013
On the Threshold
Pelaides said:
That seems to be the foundation of most prophesy,the return of Christ and his kingdom on earth.
Yes. I think the entire Bible is leading us to the Day of the Lord. Our baptism and salvation from the waters of the flood is a key idea to get from 1 Peter and other chapters. We are the body of Christ that has been here the entire time. I just did an outline on this you might be interested.

The Misunderstanding of Baptism