Dealing With Matthew's Mistake

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Where does any recorded prophet say that the Christ would be a Nazarine? I'm not aware of a place. Yet I don't doubt that this was said by a prophet.

I don't have any issue with understanding that Jeremiah may have spoken these exact words, yet they were not necessarily written down. Nor would I have any issue were Matthew referring to a "Jeremiah scroll". Perhaps in one instance he was aware of the exact passage, and in the other instance he was aware of which scroll only.

Of all the possibilities, I don't give much credibility to, "the Bible writer was mistaken, and his mistake was recorded as part of Scripture". Hmm. I wonder what other mistakes they made? Perhaps about justification? No? Yes?

Much love!
And he came and dwelt in a city. called Nazareth: that it might be. fulfilled which was spoken by the prophets, He shall be called a Nazarene.

Matthew 2:23

To me this is speaking of his birth place as opposed to him being a " Nazarite".

In the Hebrew Bible, a nazirite or a nazarite (Hebrew: '?] Nāzīr)​

1 Is a man or woman​

2 who voluntarily took a vow which is described in Numbers 6:1-21. This vow required the nazirite to:​

• Abstain from wine and all other grape products, such as vinegar and grapes​

• Refrain from cutting the hair on his head​

. Not to become ritually impure by contact with corpses or graves, even those of family​

I think we can discount that he claimed to be a Nazarite, for as we know he drank wine and raised the dead (corpses)​

to life. Therefore the interpertators are the ones in error!​

If we only had " everything" ever said by God to the prophets and by Jesus, would these discussions continue ?

I believe the word of God has been preserved for our instruction in righteousness AND WE MUST BE LEAD THROUGH THE STUDY OF BY THE HOLY SPIRIT!

I also believe it to be a closed authoritative cannon, written plainly and simply so that a child may understand the God we serve and the salvation he offers !

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The title of this thread is "Dealing With Matthew's Mistake"

Implying that the Apostle Matthew missed the leading of the Holy Ghost causing a portion of God's canon to be in error.

I'm not one who believes the Lord would allow errors in His canon, you know with Jesus being all powerful and the risen Lord of Glory and all.

Sure, I get all that.

Do you deny that you exhibit an incredibly facetious spirit or do you embrace it?

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's besides the point... the claim that God's Word is inaccurate creates strife between those making the claim and the Lord.

Jesus doesn't take too kindly to those claiming His Word is in error.

On the other hand we are in the last days so this is par for course!

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You mean all those bogus, carnal minded, man made reasonings you thought were "refutations"?

It sounded more like comedy hour to me!
View attachment 39489

No, the ones that you completely ignored after soliciting them and then admitting that you refused to respond to anything but a narrowly qualified, non-existent piece of evidence.

Pretty much like saying "Here's a cattle corral; now bring me a sow from it."

Your dedication to dishonesty and evasion is staggering, to say nothing of your disgusting, flippant handling of matters of eternal consequence.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You want me to not say nuthin when the claim is being floated that God's Word has errors in it???
I want you to transform, mature spiritually in the way of our lord. Consider applying these verses to the present situation, particularly the part about not arguing over opinions and bearing with one another as they mature in their spiritual journey.

Romans 14:1, 13
Complete Jewish Bible
14 Now as for a person whose trust is weak, welcome him — but not to get into arguments over opinions ... Therefore, let’s stop passing judgment on each other!

Colossians 3:12-17
12 Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with feelings of compassion and with kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. 13 Bear with one another; if anyone has a complaint against someone else, forgive him. Indeed, just as the Lord has forgiven you, so you must forgive.

14 Above all these, clothe yourselves with love, which binds everything together perfectly; 15 and let the shalom which comes from the Messiah be your heart’s decision-maker, for this is why you were called to be part of a single Body.

And be thankful — 16 let the Word of the Messiah, in all its richness, live in you, as you teach and counsel each other in all wisdom, and as you sing psalms, hymns and spiritual songs with gratitude to God in your hearts. 17 That is, everything you do or say, do in the name of the Lord Yeshua, giving thanks through him to God the Father.

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Your dedication to dishonesty and evasion is staggering, to say nothing of your disgusting, flippant handling of matters of eternal consequence.

Well, enjoy the extra biblical teachings of the religious leaders you have bound yourself to and in the end we'll see if agreeing with the New Testament is dishonest, or if trying to add things to the New Testament is being dishonest.

Getting all upset because someone doesn't agree with your religion proves you have fear and anxiety concerning what you believe as you feel the need to try to talk others in to seeing things the way your religious leaders do. It reeks of desperation which works against your beliefs as though you are trying to keep yourself convinced.

Those of us who go by what the Lord teaches in His word... have no such fear and anxiety as we can present the truth to others and if they reject then we can brush off the dust against them and move on with none of the fear and anxiety you are displaying concerting this topic.

So, I really hope things get better for you as you seem to be under a lot of stress in trying to convince others that they aren't saved unless they add Saturday sabbath to the New Testament which is what your religious teachers believe and teach.

It's a free country and nobody is telling you can't believe whatever it is you want to believe so just move on and believe your stuff! You have your rights, and others have theirs.

Reactions: L.A.M.B.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you deny that you exhibit an incredibly facetious spirit or do you embrace it?

That's besides the point

I'm not the one denying that God's Word is accurate... you gotta keep up man!
No response to Post # 49. More denial.

We are being tested Big Boy and its not the test you think it is.

First, the truth, which is absolute. Either the Bible is or is not accurate. My church teaches that we are not saved by the Bible but the person of the resurrected Christ. Why does the possibility of this truth get your goat?

I have such trust in YHWH that he can defend himself way beyond my capacity to defend him that he does not need defending from me. His truth is as obvious as the sun in the sky. If people deny it, the don't have eyes to see. Puny words we utter will not change their mind to the truth.

Second, the belief's of others. What does it matter to you that other people have beliefs that you don't share? Here is the real test. And why @BarneyFife's question is so very relevant.

In the face of those who are weak in the faith OR even unbelievers, do we respond self-righteously or in the manner of our lord and savior, with truth and grace, patience and compassion? Don't you know they are the lost and the parable of the 99 informs us how to proceed?

Big Boy, if you are going to me a witness for our great and glorious God, I implore you to be a good witness. Amen?

Scott Downey

Dec 19, 2021
New Brunswick
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Matthew 27 vs Peter in Acts 1. Who bought the 'field of blood'?
Matthew says the chief priests did.
Acts and Peter says Judas did.

3 Then Judas, His betrayer, seeing that He had been condemned, was remorseful and brought back the thirty pieces of silver to the chief priests and elders, 4 saying, “I have sinned by betraying innocent blood.”

And they said, “What is that to us? You see to it!

5 Then he threw down the pieces of silver in the temple and departed, and went and hanged himself.

6 But the chief priests took the silver pieces and said, “It is not lawful to put them into the treasury, because they are the price of blood.” 7 And they consulted together and bought with them the potter’s field, to bury strangers in. 8 Therefore that field has been called the Field of Blood to this day.

9 Then was fulfilled what was spoken by Jeremiah the prophet, saying, “And they took the thirty pieces of silver, the value of Him who was priced, whom they of the children of Israel priced, 10 and gave them for the potter’s field, as the Lord directed me.”

==================

Acts 1
15 And in those days Peter stood up in the midst of the [f]disciples (altogether the number of names was about a hundred and twenty), and said, 16 “Men and brethren, this Scripture had to be fulfilled, which the Holy Spirit spoke before by the mouth of David concerning Judas, who became a guide to those who arrested Jesus; 17 for he was numbered with us and obtained a part in this ministry.”

18 (Now this man purchased a field with the [g]wages of iniquity; and falling headlong, he burst open in the middle and all his [h]entrails gushed out. 19 And it became known to all those dwelling in Jerusalem; so that field is called in their own language, Akel Dama, that is, Field of Blood.)

20 “For it is written in the Book of Psalms:

‘Let his dwelling place be [i]desolate,
And let no one live in it’;
and,

‘Let another take his [j]office.’
21 “Therefore, of these men who have accompanied us all the time that the Lord Jesus went in and out among us, 22 beginning from the baptism of John to that day when He was taken up from us, one of these must become a witness with us of His resurrection.”

Scott Downey

Dec 19, 2021
New Brunswick
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Perhaps the idea is they used the money to buy the 'potter's field' in Judas name.
Judas death is also not well spoken of, Judas hangs himself. Peter says he fell in the field and his entrails burst forth.
So Judas hung himself in the field, the chief priests see that and use the money to buy the field in Judas's name.
Surely they would have considered Judas cursed of God.
The rope broke and perhaps the body was rotten and his guts burst out.

Field of Blood, Blood Money, Judas's Blood.

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We are being tested Big Boy and its not the test you think it is.

Well, I'm not accepting interrogations at this time.

Thank you for thinking of me though! It was very touching....

My church teaches that we are not saved by the Bible but the person of the resurrected Christ. Why does the possibility of this truth get your goat?

Your church FAILED to understand that the only way to know the Lord is thru His Word.
I'm not obligated to believe anything your church believes!

Anything you think you are getting by feelings, revelations, or thoughts... must agree with God's Word (Jesus), otherwise these feelings, revelations, or thoughts are coming from the devil.

God Almighty went out of His way to provide His Word.... what He has to say to mankind.... put in to written form because He is just and fair.

So your church is WRONG... we are saved by Jesus Christ based on what God says thru Jesus Christ, and without God';s written Word mankind wouldn't know the difference between Jesus and the easter bunny!

What does it matter to you that other people have beliefs that you don't share?

Your question is faulty. What matters is... what God says in His Word!

When people make claims that are not substantiated in God's Word, they are not speaking correctly concerning the Lord.

We're all adult here so if someone doesn't like what someone is telling them, they are free to ignore them and move on.

Or, they can be like a spoiled little child and get they feelings all hurt because others won't bow down and belief the way they are demanding that others believe.

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's how we all know your faith is not deep, your unwilling to have it tested.

Actually your apparent claim that God has called you to test me or anyone else is laughable!
laughing2.gif

He said what matters is to love God and your neighbor as yourself.

Er... that's something He said so it's God's Word! exit_stage_right.gif

Your self-righteous pontificating, not withstanding.

More comedy hour laughing4.gif
Hilarious, keep it coming!

And thanks for the laughs!
You're a legend in your own mind!